statistics history stats website guide

• Please log in to reply
606 replies to this topic

BlitzStats #41 Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:30 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles

View PostXavier5A, on 23 October 2015 - 01:23 PM, said:

The advantage is that your users can use the account_id form in signatures and they will never break. If they change their username it doesn't matter, the link in their own signature didn't break.

Oh I did forget you do have a bug in your running averages (the top row on your dynamic table when filtering tanks). You don't re-total everything and calculate a new average. This is particularly obvious if you select tier I & IX tanks on my account because the average tier is way off. Your calculation:

Average Tier screenshot

I would expect the average tier here to be 7.09.

Lastly, I know some Angular.js. I use it at work ;)

Okay, so for a 'permalink' of sorts. I can see your point, but I agree with Lephturn - people can just update the links in that rare scenario. Adding a different route, and some kind of explanation that it exists, and how to use it, and why, etc... It's just too much stuff for a very niche scenario.

The filtered averages! Good spot.

I did actually have the true 'average tier', as you describe it (proportional, based on battle counts) initially. However - then the issue arose - the rest of the stats are not proportioned in this way. They are simply mean averages. So for the sake of consistency, I thought the average tier should be calculated the same way. Of course, that makes it inconsistent with the 'normal' usage of average tier on the rest of the site (and elsewhere)....

I suppose, actually, the best solution is to use the 'true/proportional' average tier and change the rest of the filtered averages to be calculated in the same way. That definitely makes the most sense and give the best statistical view I think?

This is much more complicated compared to the current, extremely simple solution.... But the more I think about it, the more I am convinced that it should be that way and not how it currently is.

So unless anyone comes up with a reason not to change it, I will add that to my 'to do before leaving BETA' list.

BlitzStars.com - World of Tanks: Blitz player stats, forum signature

BlitzStars.com / (Blitz) Tank Compare

Player and Tank Statistics for WoT: Blitz

Xavier5A #42 Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25160 battles
  • [CYCLN]

View PostBlitzStats, on 23 October 2015 - 10:30 AM, said:

The filtered averages! Good spot.

The average tier isn't the only thing that isn't quite right here. When I calculate my win rate for a filter of tier 1 & 9 I get 55.42%. You code is calculating 57.62%. I believe it's the same problem, you are averaging the values in the column instead of create a new totals and calculating it.

I own 207 tanks. My records at Blitz Stars!

Pz.Kpfw. 38H 735 (f) • Light Mk. VIC • T2 Light Tank • Tetrarch • T7 Combat Car • Type 98 Ke-Ni Otsu • BT-SV • T-15 • Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf. J • LTP • M3 Light • Pz.Kpfw. S35 739 (f) • T-127 • BT-7 artillery • M22 Locust • A-32 • Sentinel AC I • Valentine II • Pz.Kpfw. B2 740 (f) • Churchill III • Angry Connor • Ram II • Panzer IV Anko Special • Pz.Kpfw. V/IV • T14 • Type 3 Chi-Nu Kai Shinobi • Cromwell B • Dicker Max • Pz.Kpfw. IV Schmalturm • Stridsvagn 74A2 • Kuro Mori Mine • AC IV Sentinel • T-34-85 Victory • T23E3 • E 25 • Type 62 • SU-122-44 • IS-2 • T-34-85 Rudy • Tankenstein • T6 Dracula • FCM 50 t • T26E4 SuperPershing • KV-5 • IS-3 Defender • T-54 first prototype • Löwe • Type 59

ROI_SOLEIL #43 Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 18970 battles

Wow this is an amazing site, well done!

I have to +1 that WN7 is obsolete and it would be nice to get the player's tank rankings in there too.  

An example of why WN7 is Obsolete... (Super Unicum is 1.4 / 2050 / 2900)

Leichttraktor            

SU-76                     

M4A3E8 Sherman      

In these three random examples, WN8 and Star1 are off the Super Unicum charts... but WN7 is still just showing as just "Good".  

Clearly the old WN7 algorithm isn't working.  

Check out my VIDEOS on my Profile Page:   http://forum.wotblit...7o7-1016011594/

BlitzStats #44 Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:49 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles

View Postaf24snipes, on 23 October 2015 - 01:59 PM, said:

This is awesome! I honestly will be using this alongside WoTBstars.

View PostRorakSZ13, on 23 October 2015 - 02:27 PM, said:

Awesome work here, really very nice, quick question - what is the Frags stat you see below in my sig? I assume hats average number of games played at Tier 8+ in that 30 day period??

I think a "help" section and/or a guide to better understand an interpolate the data would be helpful. If it's already there I and am missing it my then apologies

http://www.blitzstar.../1009340310.png

Thanks guys! Glad you're liking it.

Frags8+

This is a new bit of data that the Blitz API is providing. It counts the number of frags - or kills - on an enemy who is tier VIII or above. In the case of the signature data, it is for the ~30 day period. As a percentage value, it is simply the percentage of kills that were tier VIII and above.

In a lot of ways it is somewhat analogous to the 'average tier' statistic. But it is different and perhaps (??) more interesting, as it gives an indicator of performance at the top tiers rather than just presence. It is also much easier/quicker to compute as the raw number is given via the API, rather than needing to be calculated from every individual tank played in a given time frame. As the signatures are generated 'on the fly' this speed is important.

However, due to some probable back-end changes coming relating to the 'top players' lists, it may be that I can swap out to using avg tier if it is deemed superior. We'll see.

Guide?

A guide to all the stats and stuff is definitely a great idea. For people who have used similar sites, or similar sites for the PC version etc, hopefully much of the information is already (mostly) straight-forward.

The thing I'd particularly love is if some good and/or experienced players would make a guide/guides about how to use the data and stats etc to help improve your tanking; identify weaknesses and strengths, etc. I think that would be awesome, and is after all the whole point of the site.

But - I just don't have time to do anything like that at the moment (and I'm not a great or super experienced player, either). Any time I dedicate to writing a guide, I don't spend working on the site (still plenty to do) or playing (mah free time!). If someone wants to make a video, podcast, or text guide, talking about how to use various stats to monitor your progress, improve your gameplay, spot strengths and weaknesses, etc, that would be great. But me - I just don't have the time or expertise to make something right now.

BlitzStats #45 Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:53 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles

View PostXavier5A, on 23 October 2015 - 03:36 PM, said:

The average tier isn't the only thing that isn't quite right here. When I calculate my win rate for a filter of tier 1 & 9 I get 55.42%. You code is calculating 57.62%. I believe it's the same problem, you are averaging the values in the column instead of create a new totals and calculating it.

Yes, this is exactly what I said!

xACE_OF_AWSOMx #46 Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:54 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 16343 battles
  • [TBM_]

I like this website, however, it should have some sort of recommendation to help you from your stats. 

If your stats say you die alot, but you spot alot, it means that your rushing. Or if you don't do damage, have alot of draws, and get no spots, stop camping or something.

"Life is a game, if you have no game, you have no life." 

"Let every one of the children of the USA learn to live for their God, land and Union". 

BlitzStats #47 Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:57 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles

View Posto7o7, on 23 October 2015 - 03:38 PM, said:

Wow this is an amazing site, well done!

I have to +1 that WN7 is obsolete and it would be nice to get the player's tank rankings in there too.  

An example of why WN7 is Obsolete... (Super Unicum is 1.4 / 2050 / 2900)

Leichttraktor            

SU-76                     

M4A3E8 Sherman      

In these three random examples, WN8 and Star1 are off the Super Unicum charts... but WN7 is still just showing as just "Good".  

Thanks man! 

Yes, many of us don't like WN7 - but - it is popular in some quarters! Honestly, WN8 is flawed too - and they're all somewhat subjective. That's just the nature of the beast.

You can hit the 'Columns' button above the tank table and just hide WN7 (and any other columns you don't like). The settings should persist through browser sessions and through to all other player views. So the table is somewhat customisable to your own statistical tastes.

Ookla_the_Mok #48 Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:58 PM

Team Brisket

• Players
  • 28143 battles
  • [BRSKT]

View Posto7o7, on 23 October 2015 - 09:38 AM, said:

Working as intended, which doesn't mean it is as valid as WN8. The key difference is that 7 is comparing across tier while 8 is comparing performance in a single tank. WN7 is not much help in rating a player, but it can provide information about a tank relative to tanks in its tier. 

View PostxACE_OF_AWSOMx, on 23 October 2015 - 09:54 AM, said:

I like this website, however, it should have some sort of recommendation to help you from your stats. 

If your stats say you die alot, but you spot alot, it means that your rushing. Or if you don't do damage, have alot of draws, and get no spots, stop camping or something.

​If a player cannot pull that information for themselves from the stats, then they probably cannot be counted on to follow advice regarding their gameplay. 

[BRSKT] may or may not be recruiting you. 

Our Discord is now 72% Gritty content.

BlitzStats #49 Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:04 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles

View PostxACE_OF_AWSOMx, on 23 October 2015 - 03:54 PM, said:

Yes, see my comment a few posts up about 'Guides'. I'd love that.

It is however a somewhat complicated issue and also somewhat subjective (one person might look at a table of stats and claim X about this player's play style, another might say Y based on the same stats).

If you enable the 'compare to averages' setting for the tanks table, this really helps with that sort of thing. You can clearly see which of your stats fit which percentile brackets, and so if all your stats are in the 60th percentile, except your winrate and spot rate, maybe you need to consider that upping your spot rate will up your winrate to help 'level off' the stats. 

My personal way of looking at that stuff is - I want everything to be roughly in the same percentile. If the percentiles are all over the place, my gameplay is not 'balanced' and I'm not optimising my chance of winning based on my current skills and the style of the tank.

As I say, others will have different ways of analysing the data and it'd be great if people wanted to share their own thoughts.

BlitzStats #50 Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:12 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles

View PostOokla_the_Mok, on 23 October 2015 - 03:58 PM, said:

Working as intended, which doesn't mean it is as valid as WN8. The key difference is that 7 is comparing across tier while 8 is comparing performance in a single tank. WN7 is not much help in rating a player, but it can provide information about a tank relative to tanks in its tier. 

​If a player cannot pull that information for themselves from the stats, then they probably cannot be counted on to follow advice regarding their gameplay. 

Actually 7 doesn't compare across even tier (though there is a tier penalty). It's just a basic formula.

WN8 does, as you say, compare by the individual tanks. So a considerable improvement. But even then, it is a 'flat' formula. For example, doing 10% better than average in a tank is scored the same, vs the average, for all tanks. But doing 10% better than average in a particular tank might be much harder to do than 10% better than average in a different tank. And as you might guess from my use of percentiles, this is something that I consider quite important!

Regarding your second point, I think that's a bit harsh. Even the best of us can learn new things, I'd hope. It's certainly true that an individual knows how they play better than anyone else though, and better than stats can ever describe. If they can use stats to get further insights, then great. And if someone can help with that, then great too.

Ookla_the_Mok #51 Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:13 PM

Team Brisket

• Players
  • 28143 battles
  • [BRSKT]
Experimenting with your signature feature. The 30-day tracking is wonderful, but is there a way to use a smaller and simplified graphic? An image this size takes up too much real estate and I feel foolish dumping a massive signature with bright colors into every thread I post in. Maybe stat sigs are not for me, but this one has promise at smaller scale.

Ookla_the_Mok #52 Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:16 PM

Team Brisket

• Players
  • 28143 battles
  • [BRSKT]

View PostBlitzStats, on 23 October 2015 - 10:12 AM, said:

Actually 7 doesn't compare across even tier (though there is a tier penalty). It's just a basic formula.

Regarding your second point, I think that's a bit harsh. Even the best of us can learn new things, I'd hope. It's certainly true that an individual knows how they play better than anyone else though, and better than stats can ever describe. If they can use stats to get further insights, then great. And if someone can help with that, then great too.

Hmm, my understanding was that the baseline for WN7 was based on tank tier. Its been some time since I thought about it so maybe I am totally wrong.

I don't think I was being harsh. Any player looking to improve their game is going to be capable of assessing their stats. A website spitting a suggestiona t them is not going to have much value because they are blindly following imperfect advice. I didn't mean to say that players should not be looking to improve, but rather that they must assess themselves in order to truly improve.

BlitzStats #53 Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:21 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles

View PostOokla_the_Mok, on 23 October 2015 - 04:13 PM, said:

Experimenting with your signature feature. The 30-day tracking is wonderful, but is there a way to use a smaller and simplified graphic? An image this size takes up too much real estate and I feel foolish dumping a massive signature with bright colors into every thread I post in. Maybe stat sigs are not for me, but this one has promise at smaller scale.

Glad you like the 30 day / periodic stuff - I love it and I hope people consider it one of the defining things about BlitzStars.

The signatures - I hope, in time, to create more options. Currently, it is the 30 day stats and if there's no data for that, defaults to a 'career stats' version instead (yeah, no one knows about that yet!). For example, I like the idea - somewhat - of people being able to pick and choose which stats to show.

As for the styles - again, more options would be good, I agree. But it's all work and takes time and testing etc etc.

If you - or anyone - wants to template out sig designs, for simplified / smaller versions, etc - so I know what people want - that would help and speed up the process. 

Otherwise, it is on 'the list' as 'something to sort, maybe, at some stage when I have time'.

Ookla_the_Mok #54 Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:29 PM

Team Brisket

• Players
  • 28143 battles
  • [BRSKT]

View PostBlitzStats, on 23 October 2015 - 10:21 AM, said:

Glad you like the 30 day / periodic stuff - I love it and I hope people consider it one of the defining things about BlitzStars.

The signatures - I hope, in time, to create more options. 

Yeah, my post was intended as a suggestion though it leaned negative. You're off to a great start and it is nice to have several options for blitz stats. I will always gravitate towards simplicity when it comes to numbers, but I'm in the minority.

I'm no pro at layout, however if the stat signature were cut in half vertically it would function just as well but minimize its space in threads. Just my thought. Again, the 30-day tracking is the best thing I have seen in a stat sig available, so thanks for providing it.

BlitzStats #55 Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:30 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles

View PostOokla_the_Mok, on 23 October 2015 - 04:16 PM, said:

Hmm, my understanding was that the baseline for WN7 was based on tank tier. Its been some time since I thought about it so maybe I am totally wrong.

I don't think I was being harsh. Any player looking to improve their game is going to be capable of assessing their stats. A website spitting a suggestiona t them is not going to have much value because they are blindly following imperfect advice. I didn't mean to say that players should not be looking to improve, but rather that they must assess themselves in order to truly improve.

More info on WN7 - if you're so inclined - can be found here http://wiki.wnefficiency.net/pages/WN7

It is a fairly blunt tool for summarising a player's ability.

I know what you're saying about a player assessing themselves. 

"If you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperilled in a hundred battles... if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperilled in every single battle."

Learn your strengths and weaknesses, learn your tanks' strengths and weaknesses, and... hope to face noobs.

But still, sometimes we all need a little help to assess ourselves from a more objective perspective. Discussion beats dogma.

Xavier5A #56 Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:30 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25160 battles
  • [CYCLN]

View PostBlitzStats, on 23 October 2015 - 10:53 AM, said:

Yes, this is exactly what I said!

Oh :) I guess I mis-read what you said. Good on you for interpreting my language correctly then.

Pz.Kpfw. 38H 735 (f) • Light Mk. VIC • T2 Light Tank • Tetrarch • T7 Combat Car • Type 98 Ke-Ni Otsu • BT-SV • T-15 • Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf. J • LTP • M3 Light • Pz.Kpfw. S35 739 (f) • T-127 • BT-7 artillery • M22 Locust • A-32 • Sentinel AC I • Valentine II • Pz.Kpfw. B2 740 (f) • Churchill III • Angry Connor • Ram II • Panzer IV Anko Special • Pz.Kpfw. V/IV • T14 • Type 3 Chi-Nu Kai Shinobi • Cromwell B • Dicker Max • Pz.Kpfw. IV Schmalturm • Stridsvagn 74A2 • Kuro Mori Mine • AC IV Sentinel • T-34-85 Victory • T23E3 • E 25 • Type 62 • SU-122-44 • IS-2 • T-34-85 Rudy • Tankenstein • T6 Dracula • FCM 50 t • T26E4 SuperPershing • KV-5 • IS-3 Defender • T-54 first prototype • Löwe • Type 59

MSixteen #57 Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:33 PM

Full Auto Spud Gun

• Players
  • 17589 battles
  • [_V2_]
This is an excellent site. One thing that I wish Blitzstars.com had was the Damage Ratio. I don't think i can find it anywhere.

"I'm not a sore loser, l just prefer to win and when I don't I get furious." ~ Ron Swanson

"If you can't figure out how to win in tier 8 against a tier 10, you're not going to be winning in tier 10" ~ PC9684

Click here for The Art of Blitz Click here for my YouTube channel!

May my M60 and BOUGHT IS-6 Fearless forever give me bountiful harvests of whiners' salt

Xavier5A #58 Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:37 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25160 battles
  • [CYCLN]

View PostBlitzStats, on 23 October 2015 - 11:21 AM, said:

The signatures - I hope, in time, to create more options. Currently, it is the 30 day stats and if there's no data for that, defaults to a 'career stats' version instead (yeah, no one knows about that yet!). For example, I like the idea - somewhat - of people being able to pick and choose which stats to show.

As for the styles - again, more options would be good, I agree. But it's all work and takes time and testing etc etc.

Such settings should be guard by a login. Which should be simple enough since the "auth" in the API is fairly simple to use. The only reason why it looks so complex in my wrapper is that you are not already using a browser, so I have to spin up a server and a browser so the user can interact with the existing service. Since you already have a server, you just need two endpoints or so.

BlitzStats #59 Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:37 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles

View PostOokla_the_Mok, on 23 October 2015 - 04:29 PM, said:

Yeah, my post was intended as a suggestion though it leaned negative. You're off to a great start and it is nice to have several options for blitz stats. I will always gravitate towards simplicity when it comes to numbers, but I'm in the minority.

I'm no pro at layout, however if the stat signature were cut in half vertically it would function just as well but minimize its space in threads. Just my thought. Again, the 30-day tracking is the best thing I have seen in a stat sig available, so thanks for providing it.

If we cut the height by 50%, we either show less data or shrink the font size. As the image is an image, fonts do not scale well, quality wise, like they do when rendered by a browser/OS. (You end up with nasty aliasing etc).

I do get what you are saying though - and the big, bright green sig is certainly....... visible. It is the colour of the 'periodic' stats section on the website, so using the colour again keeps some continuity... At least, that was my reasoning!

Regarding 'total vertical space' - one option is as per Xavier5As signature block - to have a sig on one side and text on the other. I think his layout and sig looks pretty good!

BlitzStats #60 Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:38 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles

View PostMSixteen, on 23 October 2015 - 04:33 PM, said:

This is an excellent site. One thing that I wish Blitzstars.com had was the Damage Ratio. I don't think i can find it anywhere.

DR = Damage Ratio!

Also tagged with statistics, history, stats, website, guide

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users