Acceleration of tanks

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

UnModernized #1 Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 2151 battles

When choosing to grind a tank, the maneuverability is one of the major stats. I did research and looked up how the game determines acceleration of a tank, HP/ton is not the only ratio WG used to assign acceleration values. To demonstrate i will be using the tier 10 mediums T62a, E50m, and M48 Patton.

1.HP/ton: Main stat WG uses to determine acceleration, the other is terrain resistance. engine power is divided by the weight of the tank. The higher the value the better the speed.

2.Terrain Resistance: This is the tank's suspension performance on different terrain. The lower the value the better the performance. There are 3 terrain resistance values per tank (hard, medium, and soft terrain resistance)

3.Effective HP/ton: This is the effectiveness of horsepower on different ground and terrain, and the acceleration of a tank on flat ground. It is determined by the formula (HP/ton)/terrain resistance. The higher the value the better the acceleration. 

Spoiler

HP/ton values are:

patton- 16.97 

e50m- 19.26

t62a- 15.68

Effective Hp/ton values are:

hard/medium/soft terrain

patton- 21.21    18.86    09.43

e50m-  17.51    14.82    08.37

t62a-    31.36    26.13    11.20

This is the reason why t62a, despite having the  lowest HP/t of the tier 10 mediums, accelerates quickly and can reach 50 km/h faster than the e50m on flat ground.

You can compare tank stats in the link below

http://tank-compare.com/en/

Please share your knowledge on acceleration in the comments

Edited by UnModernized, 19 August 2014 - 06:14 PM.

Lephturn #2 Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:53 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 22174 battles
  • [III-S]

I would love to see this for lower tiers. This is great to know - but where are you getting the data? Is this from Blitz or PC WOT... now maybe PC WoT is basically the same but ideally I'd like it for Blitz.

I have a mostly stock KV-1... and OMG is it a pig. I suspect the problem is resistance on soft(er) ground. What I really want to know is what is my next upgrade - suspension or engine? The one up engine just says it's heavier.... well that can't be right. I'm sure it helps with acceleration but I can't tell. The suspension indicates a small increase in traverse speed - but does it also help with Terrain Resistance? My big problem right now is mobility but with the information I have I can't tell what is going to help me - if at all. At this point I guess I should just dump my free XP and get everything I can.

KV-1 Upgrade Tree

Lephturn Triarii Signature Media Producer

Host of the World of Tanks Blitz podcast TANK BOOM!

Search for "tank boom" on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud or your podcast player of choice!

Android user? Get the Tank Boom! App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tank.boom

putnamJavi #3 Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:00 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18946 battles

View PostLephturn, on 19 August 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

I would love to see this for lower tiers. This is great to know - but where are you getting the data? Is this from Blitz or PC WOT... now maybe PC WoT is basically the same but ideally I'd like it for Blitz.

I have a mostly stock KV-1... and OMG is it a pig. I suspect the problem is resistance on soft(er) ground. What I really want to know is what is my next upgrade - suspension or engine? The one up engine just says it's heavier.... well that can't be right. I'm sure it helps with acceleration but I can't tell. The suspension indicates a small increase in traverse speed - but does it also help with Terrain Resistance? My big problem right now is mobility but with the information I have I can't tell what is going to help me - if at all. At this point I guess I should just dump my free XP and get everything I can.

KV-1 Upgrade Tree

Ahh nvmnd my last. 

Edited by putnamJavi, 19 August 2014 - 08:02 PM.

mdana #4 Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:32 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5259 battles

View PostLephturn, on 19 August 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

KV-1 Upgrade Tree

The engine and suspension don't really help much. The KV-1S is a whole different animal so just keep grinding. 

T18, T29, T34, T26E4 SuperPershing, M46 Patton, M103, T110E5

IS-3, IS-6, KV-4, KV-5, ST-I

Panther II, VK 45.02 B

Comet

Androyce #5 Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:51 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10107 battles

View PostLephturn, on 19 August 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

I have a mostly stock KV-1... and OMG is it a pig. I suspect the problem is resistance on soft(er) ground. What I really want to know is what is my next upgrade - suspension or engine? The one up engine just says it's heavier.... well that can't be right. I'm sure it helps with acceleration but I can't tell.

Keep swiping for more stats. It won't help your speed or acceleration but it reduces the chance of fire. Anyway, the KV-1 will remain a bit of a pig, but it has to be. That tank is so OP in every other way, it would be a joke if it had speed as well. Just enjoy the grind, angle it right and you're nearly invincible. You should be able to easily carry tier 5 down games and even carry with higher tiers.

UnModernized #6 Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:34 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 2151 battles

View Postmdana, on 19 August 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

The engine and suspension don't really help much. The KV-1S is a whole different animal so just keep grinding. 

Upgraded suspension has lower terrain resistance value, making them feel faster because the acceleration slightly increases. Also the link I used to get my values has the same values for PC and blitz (aside from Hitpoints, radar and signal range)

Lephturn #7 Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 22174 battles
  • [III-S]
Thanks - yes the top suspension did help my KV-1 quite a bit on softer ground. I haven't done the top engine yet - in game it only shows as a lower chance of fire. Do you know if the top engine has any other advantages such as acceleration, even though the HP is the same?

Lephturn Triarii Signature Media Producer

Host of the World of Tanks Blitz podcast TANK BOOM!

Search for "tank boom" on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud or your podcast player of choice!

Android user? Get the Tank Boom! App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tank.boom

UnModernized #8 Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:56 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 2151 battles

View PostLephturn, on 20 August 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

Thanks - yes the top suspension did help my KV-1 quite a bit on softer ground. I haven't done the top engine yet - in game it only shows as a lower chance of fire. Do you know if the top engine has any other advantages such as acceleration, even though the HP is the same?

Yes top engine uses different fuel (first two use gasoline, top uses diesel) so it does drive somewhat different 

Androyce #9 Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10107 battles

View PostLephturn, on 20 August 2014 - 09:20 AM, said:

As I said above, reduced chance of catching fire.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users