• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

Ksftwe #1 Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 24649 battles
  • [PRAMO]

POPULAR

Recently, I've noticed there's been an influx of the dreaded complainers on these forums. It's been making me a bit weary.

But Ksftwe, you're complaining too, aren't y-

SHUT UP, NURSE. (props to anyone who gets that reference)

I've been stumbling across a lot of these newbies on the forums complaining about something that makes us Blitz vets groan and slam our faces into the wall, then have the entire forums shut him down and tell him why he is completely and utterly wrong, is a terrible player, and should probably quit the game. I've even found myself repeating the same things over and over again in response to these people. So here, I've compiled a list of common misconceptions about Blitz, and why none but the most uneducated (which I know none of you are) should believe, so hopefully the newcomers can save themselves some humility.

"I have a bad WR because I have noob teams."

My personal favorite. It also happens to be the most common one out of all the common misconceptions. In fact, it's so common that even some Blitz veterans with 20k+ battles and exceptional WRs will allude to this in their posts.

Friends, this is so, so, so, so wrong on so, so, so many levels. Your WR is a statistic. Yes, you may keep finding yourself tossed in with E 100s driving backwards and T-54s ramming Jagerus. Yes, you may think your team is made up of brain-dead numbskulls who probably couldn't find their way to the frontline with a tour guide dangling a lollipop in front of them.

But here's the catch: We all are subjected to these dimwits. You get bad teams. But I get bad teams. The #1 player in Blitz gets bad teams. The #1 worst player in Blitz gets bad teams. One of the fundamental rules of data-collecting is that a confounding factor may be ignored if it is applied to the entire sample/population. In this case, that is true. Fine, noob teams are the reason your WR is 50% instead of 60%. In that case, noob teams are the reason my WR is 70% instead of 80%. It doesn't change a single thing. Yes, nooby teammates can be reason why you're 1-10 in your brand new Centurion 7/1. Yes, nooby teammates can be the reason why you've dropped down .2% in the past week. But it is NOT the reason why your overall WR is green, rather than blue or purple.

If your stats are bad, it's because you're a bad player. If your stats are good, it's because you're a good player. Unicums aren't automatically blessed with geniuses on their team just because they're in Club Purple. Nor are average folk automatically cursed with window-lickers just because they're trying to improve their WR. It's a statistic. MM hates us, but it hates us all evenly. It has no effect on the relative strength of your winrate.

"This game is pay-to-win."

I love this one too. If you think WOT Blitz of all games is pay-to-win, you must live in a very small world, indeed. Dear god if you think this game is one of those games, for your own good please don't ever walk into a GameStop or purchase another iOS app. I've heard three common arguments as to why Blitz is somehow pay-to-win.

1. The prammo argument.Rich people can buy prammo and thus get a default advantage because they can pen you and you can't.

• News flash - you can buy prammo with credits! If you actually didn't know that, now you do. Have fun slamming HEAT shells into E 100s. Now, some people bring it further by saying "rich people have premium accounts, so they can afford HEAT!" Inception time: misconception within a misconception. You don't need a premium account to afford premium rounds. I played my first 4,000 games with no premium account, no premium tanks, and managed to grind through 3 Tier 10s all strictly from playing the tanks in that line. No IS-6. No T34. No +50%. I rocked a 59-60% WR in them, and guess what? I never had any problems with my credits. Do well, budget your $$$, and you can easily afford everything you need.

2. The grind argument. Rich people can free XP their way up the Tiers...or purchase premium tanks for uber-OP powarz.

• Free XPing up the Tiers like a madman on steroids will have the totally opposite effect of making you a better player. How many times do we complain about IS-6 drivers with 100 battles, driving backwards into the entire enemy team? (Incidentally, the IS-6 is probably the only premium tank you can drag up an argument for that it's OP) If you rush up the Tiers before you're ready, that's more of a pay-to-lose scenario than pay-to-win.

• On free XPing modules - this at least partially has some sense to it, because it's logical. If you have money to free XP, you should be skipping your stock grinds and/or golding the crew. But even this is such a minimal effect that it can hardly be an impact on your win rate. Stock grinds, for instance, only take up about 100-ish battles, depending on Tier. If you play a tank long enough, say, 500 battles (which is the average battles it takes to move up a Tier, no premium acc), that 100 battles of below-average performance will mostly be drowned out. Besides, you could always do this thing called saving up your free XP before acquiring the next tank! And sometimes it won't even matter. I played my beloved T110E5 from scratch, with 75% crew, and nothing but a Rammer all the way till it was maxed out, which took me 200 battles. Today, it holds an 84% WR and 970 battles. "Stock grinds killed my stats?" Baloney.

3. Rich people can bribe WG!

• ...Yeah I got nothing on this. You caught me.

"You only win because you spam gold!"

A fundamental assumption I'm sure you've all heard is "all's fair in love and war." Except...this may not even fall under that category because gee-golly, you have HEAT/APCR/HESH in your ammo selection as well! Ain't that convenient! I've already proven above as to why "I can't buy prammo cuz I'm poor" is an invalid statement. It isn't an advantage if YOU have that exact same weapon in your arsenal too. The fact that that red T-54 has the brains to use it while you don't is nobody's fault but yours.

If you don't use prammo, fine, but don't complain if people use it against you. Everyone spamming gold = nobody spamming gold. Have some common sense. Use their own weapon against them.

"Your stats are all inflated because you only platoon."

While it is 100% true that platooning will boost your WR (assuming you're platooning with another competent player), platooning does not help anything else. On the contrary, certain stats, especially average damage, will actually fall due to platooning, because you now have another good player stealing damage that could have been yours. Other stats like damage ratio, destruction ratio, survival, etc. won't change at all.

Yes, platooning will help your WR, and that's why people platoon - to win more. But it's also why nobody should judge people just on their win rate. Krieg's requirements for entry are based on average damage rather than WR for that very reason - because it is purely representative of YOUR skill and not of your platoonmate's.

"Skill-based MM will improve everyone's stats and performances!"

This is one of those misconceptions that I don't understand why people are still proponents of. How do people not understand that skill-based MM will completely and utterly destroy the game? Let's look into several scenarios:

1. The average player looking to get better.

• The grand majority of you. Imagine this. You work hard farming potatoes and improving your skill. Hey, you're getting better at the game! You're stomping pubbies and raking in cash. Life's good. Then all of a sudden, everything changes. Your WR goes from 50% to 60%. Suddenly, the game turns on you. It starts giving you 40%ers as teammates instead of your usual 50%ers. Or alternatively, it'll force you to play against better enemies. Your performance stagnates. Everything goes wrong. Your opposition, now more powerful than before, defeats you more frequently. Your WR goes back down until it's once again 50% and you have to repeat the cycle indefinitely.

2. The unicum trying to play some games.

• Oh boy, this system sure is helpful for unicums isn't it! Instead of being able to use their skills, they're now stuck with children and serial-AFKers as teammates. That, or they're forced to play one of their own kind every. Single. Game. Eventually, all of the unicums will lose their magical specialness and go back down to being 50%ers. Hey, look at that. They now have the same WR as the average person looking to get better. Does that mean they're of the same skill? Well, I guess so since WR says they are.

3. The total idiot who doesn't care what he's doing.

• My favorite scenario. We all hate these morons. We want to see them removed from the game, perhaps forcefully by the way of the almighty banhammer. But guess what? If we implement skill-based MM, you'll be seeing more of these fools. Either you, as a decent player, will be forced to play alongside these imbeciles every single game to "balance out" the teams...or alternatively, the 30%ers will face equally-bad 30%ers, win more games, get their WR up to 40%, 50%, and...oh lookie lookie. Statistically they're now "just as good" as the dragged-down conceps, fullestnukes, A7X0s, etc. etc. Doh!

I hope that sounds good to you because that's what you're signing yourselves up for. Skill-based MM completely obliterates any meaning to having WR, and in fact rewards the bad players for being bad, and punishes the good players for being good.

Credit where credit is due: Much of this is heavily paraphrased from a previous post by ahredstealth. Props to him because I am an uncreative loser.

"It's not my fault I'm AFK every single day! I have a son/daughter/plant/pet iguana to take care of!"

Haha. No. While I totally understand that Internet service is dumb and might randomly cut you off mid-game, or that your iPad battery may die because you weren't paying attention...there is no excuse for going AFK daily, or even weekly (possibly monthly?). If you're going AFK frequently, you are clearly playing the game when you aren't supposed to be. Babysitting your neighbor's son? Then pay attention to the son and don't torture 6 teammates as you sit in spawn with your gun down, not moving. Got a phone call? I'm sure it can wait 5 minutes. Oh, it's an important phone call? Then why the flippidy flapjacks were you playing a video game rather than working?

I'm sure there are many more, but these are just the ones I felt like typing out now. Hopefully anybody who's about to post a "____ isn't fair!!1!1!11!" thread will randomly stumble across this little rant and think twice about posting.

That is all. It's been a long day, and I have had nothing better to do.

PS: Have a great day, tankers. :)

PSS: Totally didn't create this thread to inflate my rep count to 1,000.

PSSS: The 'horizontal line' button is underrated.

Edited by Ksftwe, 07 November 2015 - 03:34 AM.

Tier XObj 268, T-62AT110E3, E 100, T110E5FV4202IS-7FV215bObj 140, Jg Pz E 100M48 PattonE 50 MT110E4Leopard 1T57 HeavyIS-4Grille 15

~ How Do I Shoot?™ ~

reluctanttheist #2 Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:23 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 22163 battles
  • [III-H]
+1 for a great post, with formatting to show the topics of each paragraph, and for being so willing to share your braintrust with the rest of us.  You sir, are a gentleman.

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

Ksftwe #3 Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:27 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 24649 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View Postreluctanttheist, on 06 November 2015 - 07:23 PM, said:

+1 for a great post, with formatting to show the topics of each paragraph, and for being so willing to share your braintrust with the rest of us.  You sir, are a gentleman.

I must admit I was a touch more sarcastic in this post than I usually am on the forums. I had a good night's sleep for once in my life yesterday, combined with an feverishly exhausting day today. Adrenaline + obstacles are clashing right now...leading to this gigantic wall of text up there. :)

Tier XObj 268, T-62AT110E3, E 100, T110E5FV4202IS-7FV215bObj 140, Jg Pz E 100M48 PattonE 50 MT110E4Leopard 1T57 HeavyIS-4Grille 15

~ How Do I Shoot?™ ~

Minecraftexpert_25 #4 Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:27 PM

Not a Unicum

• Players
  • 27906 battles
  • [PRAMO]
+1, agree with everything there. Sly/Alo maybe pin this in every section to avoid more complaining threads?

January 28, 2016- The day Alo8ight moved on in his life from WG and WoTB. You will be missed o7.

March 27, 2017- Dogface takes over as senior producer for WoTB. Fate of Senator_Ratbat unknown.

Block Quote

"The darker the purple, the darker the soul." - Ancient WG proverb. -CrimsonMG

Up up down left right down up left left down <-----my super MLG pro strats 420 no scope headshot hacks (no credit to ksftwe whatsoever)

MSixteen #5 Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:28 PM

Full Auto Spud Gun

• Players
  • 17429 battles
  • [_V_]
"SHUT UP, NURSE!" ~ Markiplier, 2015

"I'm not a sore loser, l just prefer to win and when I don't I get furious." ~ Ron Swanson

"If you can't figure out how to win in tier 8 against a tier 10, you're not going to be winning in tier 10" ~ PC9684

Click here for The Art of Blitz Click here for my YouTube channel!

May my M60 and BOUGHT IS-6 Fearless forever give me bountiful harvests of whiners' salt

Ksftwe #6 Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:28 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 24649 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View PostMSixteen, on 06 November 2015 - 07:28 PM, said:

"SHUT UP, NURSE!" ~ Markiplier, 2015

Ayyyyyy

~ How Do I Shoot?™ ~

Ziggoulous_Alpha #7 Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:29 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 5699 battles
Mostly agree. Albeit it's more entertaining than informative. Nevertheless well done. +1

__ikener__ #8 Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:37 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 22289 battles
  • [LXE]
Out freaking standing, I agree wholeheartedly. +1:great:

"All will learn via destruction"

http://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/__ikener__

MSixteen #9 Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:37 PM

Full Auto Spud Gun

• Players
  • 17429 battles
  • [_V_]

View PostKsftwe, on 06 November 2015 - 05:28 PM, said:

Ayyyyyy

Don't worry, bro. I gotchu 

"I'm not a sore loser, l just prefer to win and when I don't I get furious." ~ Ron Swanson

"If you can't figure out how to win in tier 8 against a tier 10, you're not going to be winning in tier 10" ~ PC9684

Click here for The Art of Blitz Click here for my YouTube channel!

May my M60 and BOUGHT IS-6 Fearless forever give me bountiful harvests of whiners' salt

WhiskeyCyclone #10 Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:39 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19706 battles
  • [LONR]

View PostKsftwe, on 06 November 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

I must admit I was a touch more sarcastic in this post than I usually am on the forums. I had a good night's sleep for once in my life yesterday, combined with an feverishly exhausting day today. Adrenaline + obstacles are clashing right now...leading to this gigantic wall of text up there. :)

Yeah, I think you were cranky yesterday.

Keep it old school. 

andyllinger #11 Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20887 battles
  • [--M--]
Such truth! +1.

Tier X tanks: Leopard 1, E50 ME100, Jgd pz. E100, T110E4T110E5, M48 Patton, Object 140, T-62A, IS-7, IS-4.STB-1

Already researched: MAUSObj. 268.

Zip_Zip #12 Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:59 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 41627 battles
  • [SPUDX]
:medal:You deserve a medal, great post:great:

Always remember, wherever you go, there you are...

164 tanks mastered // Have tanks, will battle // Click here for my youtube channel 

popisdead #13 Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:09 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15015 battles
  • [HPR]

View PostKsftwe, on 06 November 2015 - 11:19 PM, said:

"It's not my fault I'm AFK every single day! I have a son/daughter/plant/pet iguana to take care of!"

Haha. No. While I totally understand that Internet service is dumb and might randomly cut you off mid-game, or that your iPad battery may die because you weren't paying attention...there is no excuse for going AFK daily, or even weekly (possibly monthly?). If you're going AFK frequently, you are clearly playing the game when you aren't supposed to be. Babysitting your neighbor's son? Then pay attention to the son and don't torture 6 teammates as you sit in spawn with your gun down, not moving. Got a phone call? I'm sure it can wait 5 minutes. Oh, it's an important phone call? Then why the flippidy flapjacks were you playing a video game rather than working?

Pretty sure you just gave a bunch of excuses for daily AFK.  I don't do it, but in the end, haters gonna hate.

I love kemping bush

Ksftwe #14 Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:12 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 24649 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View Postpopisdead, on 06 November 2015 - 08:09 PM, said:

Pretty sure you just gave a bunch of excuses for daily AFK.  I don't do it, but in the end, haters gonna hate.

Not quite sure what you're talking about, bud. Your internet should not be dying every day. Your iPad battery shouldn't be dying mid-game every day seeing as you get TWO low-battery notifications. If you have to watch your kid, do it without playing a video game. Is that somehow unclear?

~ How Do I Shoot?™ ~

Tgb_matt #15 Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:33 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 50638 battles
  • [KR0N0]
Awesome, just skimmed the topics and will have to return for the rest later.

Flame_116 #16 Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:40 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 15190 battles
  • [--M--]

View PostKsftwe, on 06 November 2015 - 07:12 PM, said:

Not quite sure what you're talking about, bud. Your internet should not be dying every day. Your iPad battery shouldn't be dying mid-game every day seeing as you get TWO low-battery notifications. If you have to watch your kid, do it without playing a video game. Is that somehow unclear?

I think he's trying to say that all the serial-AFKers now have excuses, but  maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, excellent post! Agreed with everything on it. 

Lord_of_Balrogs #17 Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:58 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 10880 battles
  • [5TH-D]
+1 This should be at least pinned, otherwise it will get lost in history and all of that effort wasted.

В бой!

ARandomGenieGuy #18 Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:59 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 14459 battles
Nice explanation. I also did about 6k games without spending any single cent. My problem is that I can't manage the credits. I constantly sell and buy tanks. :teethhappy: That's why I need some premium time and also some premium account so I don't go downpoor. That's also the main reason why I never have over 5 million credits even with premium account. 

Tgb_matt #19 Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:21 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 50638 battles
  • [KR0N0]
I would challenge that my Tier 8 stock grinds trashed my WR.

But to be honest, it was actually going too high too fast.  And getting several in quick secession only commpounded my blunder exponentially.

Tier 8 grinds don't bother me anymore.

Ksftwe #20 Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:35 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 24649 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View PostTgb_matt, on 06 November 2015 - 11:21 PM, said:

I would challenge that my Tier 8 stock grinds trashed my WR.

But to be honest, it was actually going too high too fast. And getting several in quick secession only commpounded my blunder exponentially.

Tier 8 grinds don't bother me anymore.

You could always save up free XP before moving on to the next tank. It's going to take a while, but now you can't really argue that people who spend gold on free XP have an advantage. You can free XP modules, too, it just takes longer. Will money accelerate the process? Absolutely. That's the point of spending money: to accelerate. But it doesn't give a distinct advantage.

~ How Do I Shoot?™ ~

Also tagged with have, an, addiction, to, tags, ignore, me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users