• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

_G_E_M_ #1 Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:47 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17206 battles
  • [KNGTS]

TIER X RUSSIAN HEAVY TANK: IS-7

Hey guys this is my third guide as i am still getting into the hang of making guides but today i will do a guide on the IS-7. This guide is completely how i view this tank and how i play this tank and considering im 11th in this tank (NA) i think my play-style and my guide would be very accurate of how this tank should be played so enjoy! feel free to +1 if you find this guide helpful or if you don't like this guide just rant at me telling me how much i suck....... Enjoy!! please dont be too mean as ive dedicated so much time and effort into writing this guide up as well as doing research in advance.

If you would like to skip over the random talking rubbish in this post and see the summary it is all the way at the bottom!

if you dont like reading then heres the Wargaming video on how to play a IS-7 but honestly my guides better ;)

THE TANK ITSELF

the is-7 can be bought for an astonishing 6.1 million dollars. It is very key to think if tier X and even tier 9 tanks will fit you before you buy them because you do not want to drop some hard earned credits to figure out that you really suck or dislike the tank you just bought. 

The IS-7 is a brother of the is-4 or the more heavily armored heavy Russian heavy and honestly the is-7 can carry much better. There are weaknesses of the IS-7 but they can be easily compensated if you properly play the tank. 

For the history of the IS-7 it use to be the main dominating tank in PC as it was extremely overpowered but after numerous updates the is-7 is competing with other very powerful heavy tanks such as the E5 and the E100.

enjoying the intro? continue reading!

GENERAL STATS

i wont go in depth into stats sense you can find them anywhere just search on google! but here they are if you are interested.

Spoiler

THE STRENGTHS

FRONTAL ARMOR:

The armor of this tank really makes it powerful. On paper it will say that the tank only has 150MM on the front but this is completely incorrect. The armor is sloped at a very awkard degree and it makes the armor thickened. This picture will definitely explain everything!

Spoiler

as you can see the frontal armor is extremely impressive as it has amazing amounts of armor. You can thank the Russians for incorporating the pike nose in which the armor is pre-angled. But the pike nose is a strength and is also a weakness.The strength is that the armor is already angled for you and you do not need to angle the tank at all as if you do angle then you will negate the angling already occurred on the armor (confusing i know) but when confronting another tank like another is-7 or a tank that has an pen higher of 260mm i find it effective if you angle just about 5 degrees this evenly distributes the armor so it will take the enemy a much longer time to aim for a weak spot and will contemplate on which weak point to shoot at your lower plate or your side plate Tanks like the E100 with very flat armor can easily side scrape making enemies only see a extremely angled side armor which can lead to over 600MM of effective armor and is impossible to pen. The is-7 can do this but it is not as effective as Germans. If you tried to side scrape when you move back to take your shot you make either your left side plate or your right side plate completely flat leading to only 150mm... easy pen. If you really want to side scrape you will have to change the method in which you do it in. You will have to only expose your side armor that should be perpendicular to the building that you are side scraping off of. You will then bait the shot of your opponent wait until they fire at you, after they fire quickly reverse and plug them with a shell doing an average of 460DMG. 

SIDE ARMOR

The side armor of russian heavy tanks can be especially troll take a look at this picture below.

Spoiler

as you can see the side is littered with all types of armor straight off the bat you can tell its not actually 150mm there is a variety of armor a lot weaker than 150mm and a lot stronger than 150mm. But the main strength of the side armor is that actually there is spaced armor on the orange and yellow portion of the picture and underneath the spaced armor the tank side armor just for that portion is also angled at 40 degrees which makes it extremely troll for enemies. Enemies who shoot HEAT or HE at the side of a is-7 are doing it wrong. The chances of HEAT or He penning the side of the hull is very minimal as the spaced armor would just eat up the shell. As also in game some lower tier tanks when shooting the side skirt it appears to be penetrable but when they shoot they constantly receive a "we didn't go through!" keep in mind that the spaced armor and the angled hull makes the armor actually much more stronger than it appears! (very deceiving i know!) Even shooting at the very easily penetrable lower portion of the hull will present a problem when shooting HEAT or HE because the tracks are there!

DAMAGE TRADING (high dmg per shot)

the is-7 does an average of 460 damage which is higher than the damage of the all tanks except tank destroyers and the E100. Never damage trade a TD, E100, or a Maus. They simply just have too much firepower or just way to much health. But for tanks other than the ones i just listed it is effective that you can trade shots (you shoot them, they shoot you, you both retreat back to cover, then repeat) because you are dealing more damage to them then they are to you. This leads to a positive for you!

HULLDOWN

if you can hide your lowerplate your tank will literally be impregnable to any tank frontally except dirty HEAT spammers but even HEAT spammers have issues penning your hull. You may be thinking that where is a good spot to hull down? the is-7 has terrible gun arcs! 

Yes this is true the is-7 cannot be like a centurion 7/1 with 10 degrees of gun depression but you can easily find small indents to at least cover up most of your lower plate.

When you encounter a HEAT spammer when you are hull down the best choice is to fall back into cover. If this is not viable then wiggle your hull and turret A TINY BIT. This will bait them into either shooting you at a more increased armor portion of your tank or simply hit your gun. Most HEAT spammers will aim at your somewhat flat side cheeks of your turret but that is why you wiggle just a tiny bit because the weak spot is actually very minimal and your gun can act as a huge barrier so wiggle your turret!

FACE HUGGING AND HEIGHT OF TANK

Ill just tell you what to do. you see a heavy face hug them when no other enemy is around. Face hugging is exceptional in the is-7 because unlike the e5 when you actually get closer to the enemy your glaring weaknesses disappear and your strengths become even stronger. Your tank is just so low that most tanks just wont have the depression to shoot at your armor at a 90 degree but instead your angled armor is now even more angled! This is extremely effective as it is hard for enemies to shoot your lower plate which is the main weakness front on! BUT be careful if they begin to spam HEAT, WIGGLE your turret so they will have a difficult time aiming at your weak side cheeks!

MOBILITY

the is-7 is incredibly mobile going downhill........ when there is a slight downhill slope your tank will gain speed like crazy it is also very beneficial when you are traveling on flat terrain with a slight angle downwards as you will outrun all heavy tanks. This allows you to get stuck into positions much quicker and if you take speed boost with you you can easily follow and even outrun mediums.

WEAKNESS

HEAT SPAMMERS

This tank probably the equivalent of the E100 gets heat spammed non-stop when i play this tank i constantly get slammed in the rear end with heat which is totally unnecessary. The special thing about this tank is its armor and jagerus firing HEAT with 420mm of penetration makes an is-7 a leopard 1. The best way to deal with these situations is to either run away (seriously, your not going to win a heat battle with a t-54) or if you cant run then wiggle! if you constantly wiggle your armor between shots and move your turret and move back and forth it will make the enemy have a higher chance of hitting your tracks or guns, or get a lucky bounce. 

POOR TURRET AND HULL TRAVERSE

medium tanks are literally the bane of the is-7. When a medium tank starts COD'ing you there is literally nothing you can do your turret and hull traverse is just way to miserable. A way of trying to stop the mediums from flanking you is if you are right in front of them. RAM THEM! if you ram them there is a high chance that you will knock off there tracks. After you knock of there tracks keep pushing into the side or front of the medium as this will impose a difficult time for the medium to actually move to your side! Another method is to just simply back up into a rock where no medium can constantly drive circles around you!

POOR GUN STATS AND DEPRESSION

honestly with .4 dispersion you will hit nothing unless you are 100m or closer you do not snipe with this tank! its accuracy is just way to bad!!! anyways this tank is more of a close up brawler than a laid back sniper! Also when turning your turret your gun bloom (the circle when you aim) gets enormous and when moving 1/100 will you shoot and hit something so always stop and WAIT! the depression of this gun really balances this tank as it would be way too OP if it had the depression of a centurion 7/1 working hills (-10 degrees) but yes it has terrible gun depression making most hills impossible to hull down at.

TERRAIN RESISTANCE

terrain resistance for this tank is extremely high so youll never reach your top speed going uphill you can only reach it when going downhill.

PRE-ANGLED ARMOR

There is no real big issue with pre angled armor but it prevents you to be like a E100 where you can angle your way out of things and increase your armor everywhere. For the is-7 if the enemy can pen you, there is very little to do to prevent getting penetrated as if you angle you will increase one portion's armor but decrease another portions armor

EQUIPMENT AND CONSUMABLES

equipment:

i personally feel as if these are the most important:

1.) gun rammer (always for every tank)

2.)WET AMMO RACK ( this thing will be ammo racked like crazy)

3.) vents (always for every tank)

consumables:

there is two consumable choice you can use:

1. is for the people who not yet bought vents

1.) rations for crew

2.) adrenaline

3.) Speed boost ( abuse this tanks top speed)

TACTICS

(Ive read a review on the is-7 tactics and honestly there is no better way of putting it and i didnt want to rephrase this as it would be even more confusing. All the credit of the tactics portion goes to http://wotguru.com/tank-guide-is-7/)

By now you know the IS-7’s strengths and weaknesses.  Knowing this you can conclude that the IS-7’s performance comes down to where you position yourself on the map and which enemies you engage.  Going into a battle you should always pick out which areas will provide you locations to point your frontal armor at the enemy, make your lower glacis difficult(or impossible) to hit, and where plenty of enemy tanks will be.  The IS-7 when played right can soak up a ton of damage for your team while also helping to push the enemy backwards without taking much damage in return.  When you play it wrong and allow enemy tanks to shoot your side/rear armor or hit your lower glacis is when the IS-7 feels like an under performing tank.

One trick that takes time to perfect that works well with the IS-7 along with other tanks is the wiggle technique.  When you are pointing your frontal armor at an enemy you can focus on where their gun is pointing and you can adjust accordingly.  If they are pointing low then you will be taking damage since they are aiming at your lower glacis and if they are aiming high then most likely they are aiming around your gun where the armor is flat.  When enemies are aiming low then you can turn your hull left and right to increase the lower glacis’ effective armor.  If the enemy then raises their gun up, straighten your tank out to make them bounce off of your strong upper glacis, and if they keep aiming low keep the frontal armor angled.  With the enemy aiming high you can simply turn your turret armor 10-15 degrees to throw them off and continue to move it around to mess up their aim.  By doing these moves you will increase the amount of bounces off of your armor and also cause the enemy to fire less often.

Lastly, one thing to always keep in the back of your head is your distance to the enemy.  It is hard for the IS-7 to pinpoint shots with its 0.4 overall accuracy and at the same time it is hard for enemies to hit your weak spots at long range.  Unfortunately at close range(under 50m) your frontal armor loses effective armor on the upper glacis while gaining armor on your lower glacis.  This can be a benefit if you are fighting against enemies who will continue to shoot at your now stronger lower glacis and/or shoot at your frontal turret armor if they have poor gun depression.  The downside is that for tanks with good gun depression they can aim down and shoot through your upper glacis if they are close enough since it is now much weaker.

SUMMARY

Overall the IS-7 is a great tier 10 heavy tank that has a higher learning curve than other tanks.  For players that can cover up the IS-7’s downfalls the tank can dominate engagements and even against skilled players can make it extremely difficult for them to destroy you.  On the other hand if a player doesn’t take into account the IS-7’s flaws the tank will feel outclassed by almost every other tier 10 tank.  In the end the IS-7 is a great tank that has mixed emotions depending on who you talk to, but the tank itself provides a great canvas for knowledgeable players to shine.

_G_E_M_ stamp of approval 

(should you get this tank?)

*edit, according to some fellow forumers apparently the is-7 is actually a very noob friendly tank and can easily be mastered if played properly! But yes you definitely should get this tank it is amazing fun!!

well this is all...... please feel free to critique as it is very late here and i shouldnt be writing a guide this late but yes i might have a high chance that i have missed something really important! I hope you like it!

_G_E_M_

Edited by _G_E_M_, 07 November 2015 - 07:28 PM.

DeliberateDork #2 Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:52 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 19602 battles
  • [UNITY]
Excellent guide! Also congrats on being #11 NA. Really a huge accomplishment in a tier ten tank.

_Nekomata #3 Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:53 AM

Haruna > Fusou

• Players
  • 30411 battles
  • [RELIC]
nice!

Thanks to Zennosha and/or Panbun, I have a shiny new signature! Thank you!

AZ0001 #4 Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:00 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7577 battles

Here's the Guide Park video on IS-7 for people who don't want to read a lot words.

_G_E_M_ #5 Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:01 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17206 battles
  • [KNGTS]

View PostAZ0001, on 06 November 2015 - 10:00 PM, said:

Here's the Guide Park video on IS-7 for people who don't want to read a lot words.

let me just borrow this for let say just a few months haha thanks! +1 for helping!

zennosha #6 Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:05 AM

PhD in Dakimakura Engineering and Design M.S. in Waifu Studies

• Players
  • 24329 battles
  • [ANEKI]
I like the guide but I disagree on one point, the IS-7 is actually probably the most user friendly and noob friendly tier X. I would actually say that the E5 is one of the more difficult and challenging tier X. But this is all my opinion. 

┬┴┬┴┤ (◕ᴗ◕✿├┬┴┬┴┤(ಠ﹏ಠ├┬┴┬

>>>Join [MAHOU/ANEKI] Discord!!!<<<

Best ANIME CLAN in the NA and a nice community for weebs. 

ARandomGenieGuy #7 Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:14 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 18230 battles
  • [MINC]
Nice guide! You gave a good description about how it feels to play with this tank. Also you gave a nice point of view of how we,medium tank drivers, see the is7. +1. However I must agree with Zennosha that the is7 is somewhat the most noob friendly tier X. I didn't struggled at all as I did with the e100. Just my 2 cents. Congrats on getting top #11!!!

Edited by ARandomGenieGuy, 07 November 2015 - 06:26 AM.

A7X0 #8 Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:26 AM

E4k

• Players
  • 25484 battles
  • [PRAMO]
Good effort, but I'll have to disagree on the IS-7 being the more heavily armored Tier X Soviet heavy. The IS-4 is much stronger in the armor area because it can angle to insane amounts due to the side armor being thicker than the front, and spaced. The IS-7's lower plate cannot be angled as once you do, the pike nose becomes penetrable. The IS-4 turret is stronger when it's above you leaving the hatch hidden. It has a weird scheme around the turret cheeks, and it's incredibly hard to penetrate, while the IS-7 has clear defined cheeks that any HEAT shooter can penetrate if they aim. I'll also second what Zennosha said: E5 is one of the least noob-friendly tanks.  IS-7 is honestly an easy tank for pubbies to drive, but experienced players and unicums and super unicums cannot perform pro tactics in it nearly as well as in other tanks such as the IS-4, including but not limited to sidescraping (the pike nose becomes quite weak with the IS-7 when doing so), and angling (which cannot be done at all). It has too simple of a playstyle, which is basically point, shoot, pull back into cover. You can't do crazy things with it other than just sit hull down and bounce a bunch of shots. As soon as you are no longer hull down, Tier VIIIs will be penetrating that lower plate from mid range.

underlined = click!

E 100, IS-7, T-62A, Jg. Pz. E 100, T110E3, T110E5[Guide], Object 268FV215b, E 50 M[Guide], IS-4FV4202, Object 140[Guide]M48 Patton, T110E4, STB-1

4014 average damage in Obj. 140, 4055 average damage in T110E4

OronSonon #9 Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:35 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 11670 battles

View PostA7X0, on 06 November 2015 - 10:26 PM, said:

Good effort, but I'll have to disagree on the IS-7 being the more heavily armored Tier X Soviet heavy. The IS-4 is much stronger in the armor area because it can angle to insane amounts due to the side armor being thicker than the front, and spaced. The IS-7's lower plate cannot be angled as once you do, the pike nose becomes penetrable. The IS-4 turret is stronger when it's above you leaving the hatch hidden. It has a weird scheme around the turret cheeks, and it's incredibly hard to penetrate, while the IS-7 has clear defined cheeks that any HEAT shooter can penetrate if they aim. I'll also second what Zennosha said: E5 is one of the least noob-friendly tanks.  IS-7 is honestly an easy tank for pubbies to drive, but experienced players and unicums and super unicums cannot perform pro tactics in it nearly as well as in other tanks such as the IS-4, including but not limited to sidescraping (the pike nose becomes quite weak with the IS-7 when doing so), and angling (which cannot be done at all). It has too simple of a playstyle, which is basically point, shoot, pull back into cover. You can't do crazy things with it other than just sit hull down and bounce a bunch of shots. As soon as you are no longer hull down, Tier VIIIs will be penetrating that lower plate from mid range.

I'm currently undecided on whether I should get an is-4 or just the is-7. It seems like you dislike the is-7 compared to the is-4, but in your sig you sold your is-4 but not your is-7? 

Member of [RBLN] Rebellion 

Armor and Mobility: A Guide to Tactics — Part I and Part II

How to Become Unicum: Click Here for Pure Gold

A7X0 #10 Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:57 AM

E4k

• Players
  • 25484 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View PostOronSonon, on 06 November 2015 - 10:35 PM, said:

I'm currently undecided on whether I should get an is-4 or just the is-7. It seems like you dislike the is-7 compared to the is-4, but in your sig you sold your is-4 but not your is-7? 

I sold IS-4 because I achieved 89% WR in it and decided not to keep playing it for now, and the credit income was atrocious and made me go bankrupt. It was an expensive tank to run, but my stats in the IS-4 are much better than in the IS-7 and I definitely liked the IS-4 more. I'm not saying the IS-7 is a bad tank, but it doesn't seem as good as the IS-4 from a competent player point-of-view. I've demounted the equipment off my IS-7 anyway; I began an indefinite hiatus from it after hitting 1000 battles. I only sold IS-4 because I had no intentions to play it again, mainly because of the credit income. Even with a premium account, you better be rich when you play one because you will lose credits regularly and you have to have at least a million credits in advance. I made the mistake of playing it with just barely enough credits to mount equipment and ammo and things. It's a magnificent tank, but the credit earning is damn miserable.

underlined = click!

E 100, IS-7, T-62A, Jg. Pz. E 100, T110E3, T110E5[Guide], Object 268FV215b, E 50 M[Guide], IS-4FV4202, Object 140[Guide]M48 Patton, T110E4, STB-1

4014 average damage in Obj. 140, 4055 average damage in T110E4

OronSonon #11 Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:00 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 11670 battles

View PostA7X0, on 06 November 2015 - 10:57 PM, said:

I sold IS-4 because I achieved 89% WR in it and decided not to keep playing it for now, and the credit income was atrocious and made me go bankrupt. It was an expensive tank to run, but my stats in the IS-4 are much better than in the IS-7 and I definitely liked the IS-4 more. I'm not saying the IS-7 is a bad tank, but it doesn't seem as good as the IS-4 from a competent player point-of-view. I've demounted the equipment off my IS-7 anyway; I began an indefinite hiatus from it after hitting 1000 battles. I only sold IS-4 because I had no intentions to play it again, mainly because of the credit income. Even with a premium account, you better be rich when you play one because you will lose credits regularly and you have to have at least a million credits in advance. I made the mistake of playing it with just barely enough credits to mount equipment and ammo and things. It's a magnificent tank, but the credit earning is damn miserable.

Eh, I don't have a Premuim account. That might be slightly problematic. 

Member of [RBLN] Rebellion 

Armor and Mobility: A Guide to Tactics — Part I and Part II

How to Become Unicum: Click Here for Pure Gold

zennosha #12 Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:10 AM

PhD in Dakimakura Engineering and Design M.S. in Waifu Studies

• Players
  • 24329 battles
  • [ANEKI]

View PostA7X0, on 06 November 2015 - 11:57 PM, said:

And here I thought I was good with a 77% WR in my IS-4 :( But yes, with as much gold you have to spam in the IS-4 it can become a very costly tank to run very fast. I personally run a 65% HEAT 35% AP load out and that can lead to some quite costly battle costs. 

┬┴┬┴┤ (◕ᴗ◕✿├┬┴┬┴┤(ಠ﹏ಠ├┬┴┬

>>>Join [MAHOU/ANEKI] Discord!!!<<<

Best ANIME CLAN in the NA and a nice community for weebs. 

gffcom #13 Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:12 AM

REDACTED

• Players
  • 37934 battles
  • [SRT-]

View PostAZ0001, on 07 November 2015 - 06:00 AM, said:

This doesn't really apply in a lot of ways. The tank is much different, and much better, in blitz. 

Edited by gffcom, 07 November 2015 - 11:20 AM.

Xs: IS-7, IS-4, FV215b, T110E5, E100, E50M, Obj 140, T-62A, M48A1 Patton, FV4202, Leopard 1, Obj 268

SPARTA 

gffcom #14 Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:25 AM

REDACTED

• Players
  • 37934 battles
  • [SRT-]

View PostA7X0, on 07 November 2015 - 06:57 AM, said:

It's not THAT bad. Especially with a premium account. It only has 2mm less pen than the IS-7, so you can get away with shooting mostly AP. Shooting 75% AP, with a premium account, it's a break even, or even a slight earner.

Edited by gffcom, 07 November 2015 - 11:26 AM.

Xs: IS-7, IS-4, FV215b, T110E5, E100, E50M, Obj 140, T-62A, M48A1 Patton, FV4202, Leopard 1, Obj 268

SPARTA 

_Virtus #15 Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:14 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 18066 battles
  • [NEO]
The is7 is the most OP tier x hands down

My YouTube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq2o9Lr-9FLKyFLMmj9Y98g/videos

TWITCH STREAMwww.twitch.tv/virtuswotblitz

X: FV-4202 | T-62A | OBJ-140 | LEOPARD I | E-50M IS-7 | M48 PATTON | E-100 | T110-E4 | JAGERÜ | FV-215B

American Medium Specialist

LoweExpectations #16 Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:33 PM

Icelandic

• Players
  • 14905 battles
I HEAT spam in the Jagdpanzer E-100 just for fun.

Honors: Most Mentally Insane Leopard PTA Driver, Pioneer of the Dracuyolo, Guides.

Herodotus4 #17 Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:10 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22482 battles
  • [SRT_]
My eyes hurt from spelling, grammar, capitalization and punctuation errors, it is a good guide though and the only actual error I found is that the jgpz E-100 has 420 pen instead of 440 with heat.

"it is not because I was "brought to my knees" by some noobs, rather because I was unable to bring enough red noobs to their knees." -Vsavsa1

"I excel at mediocracy" -xjs

andyllinger #18 Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:20 PM

Mr. Hyde encantador

• Players
  • 35975 battles
  • [MSTRY]
Thanks for the guide, i was thinking about getting the wet ammo rack and you just clear every doubt i had, +1.

35 Tier X

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users