31 replies to this topic

A7X0 #1 Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:10 AM

E4k

• Players
  • 25203 battles
  • [PRAMO]

POPULAR

Advanced Topics: T110E5 Tactics and Strategy

Hello everyone. Today, I will be presenting a different style of guide. Unlike typical basic-strategy guides, this one will delve into more advanced concepts and topics to prepare you for excellence in the Tier X American Heavy that is the T110E5.

Firstly, understand that this is an advanced guide. This guide is not oriented towards beginners.

Secondly, I've communicated with Ksftwe about the creation of this guide, and it is meant as an add-on to his guide (linked just below) of the T110E5 that he created to teach new players about the tank. This guide serves as a continuation. Some strategies here may be briefly mentioned in his guide. I am going to expand over them and explain how they are to be used properly and why they are beneficial.

If you are a beginner, or you haven't yet seen it, check out Ksftwe's T110E5 basic-strategy and tips guide first to understand the straight-forward and fundamental aspects.

So, let's begin!

Remember the E5's strengths and weaknesses.

Strengths:

• Great mobility and acceleration for a heavy

• Great and accurate fast-firing gun, allowing you to return fire twice to most enemy heavies and TDs

• Cleverly-designed trollish frontal hull armor, as well as tracks coming up to the hull allowing for decent sidescraping

• -8° of gun depression

• Nearly impossible to circle

Weaknesses:

• Miserable reverse speed

• Lower plate is weak and not well-protected. An aimed shot will usually penetrate

• Has a large cupola considered a weak-spot (However, one topic in this guide is how to negate this disadvantage)

While those are not necessarily all of the pros and cons, they are some of the most important to remember.

For the rest of the guide, I'll explain each tactic in detail.

Tactic #1: Overangling

We all hate HEAT spam. Some tanks like many in the German lines are extremely vulnerable to it due to their tracks not coming up to the top of the hull. Hm, but the T110E5's tracks come up all the way to the top of the hull. What this means is due to tracks acting as spaced armor, its side is virtually immune to HE(SH) and will often absorb HEAT. Now, how do we go about trolling the enemy to an extent even more than just having their wallet drained? It's quite simple.

Let's say an IS-8 is being annoying and attacking you from close to mid-range and shooting nothing but HEAT. Maybe you noticed he was shooting HEAT at literally everything earlier, or you just feel confident that he will shoot nothing but HEAT at you. Either way, to perform this maneuver correctly, consider the following Armor Inspector screenshot:

Spoiler

This is the IS-8 using HEAT on the frontal armor of your unangled E5. You're not helping your own case very much if you remain positioned this way. You're going to want to switch your angling. Now try this: if you are pretty sure the next shot will be HEAT, overangle your tank like this:

Spoiler

Notice the sides, despite being overangled to an angle that AP would pen, now have a good chance of absorbing the HEAT and taking no damage. If this plays right and your opponent is gullible enough to shoot at your side, you may just get lucky and bounce it. If they still go for your frontal armor, it will be much harder to penetrate due to the extreme angle. Not impossible, but harder. 

This is not foolproof. Will it help if your opponent is smart enough to switch to AP? No. Is it still a good choice rather than to face your hull frontwards while getting pummeled by HEAT spam? Yes.

Tactic #2: Gun lifting

This is a slightly more difficult technique. The E5 is infamous for its tumor weakspot. Although weak indeed, it is much more troll than you would think. Now, the following tactic is less reliable than the previous, but in my experience despite Armor Inspector showing little difference when this technique is employed, I have seen it work for me many, many times. What you do is after you fire a shot and are reloading, you lift your cannon up in the air and attempt to place it over your cupola as a "shield" and wiggle the gun side to side. What ends up happening, if done correctly and RNGesus is on your side, is the E5's gun will end up absorbing the enemy's shell if it just so happens to be placed right where the enemy fired. Obviously, you can't 100% predict where exactly the enemy is going to shoot in your cupola, so wiggling the gun helps to "guess" where the shot will go. The gun barrel really takes up about half of the cupola, so the enemy might still be able to nail the edges of the cupola that your gun is unable to cover. Notice here an E 75/VK 45.02B aiming at your E5 while your gun is lifted up at just the right height:
Spoiler

I will say Armor Inspector can be inaccurate at times, but according to it, it is still more difficult to penetrate the cupola when the barrel is placed over it, although it feels to me that it often completely absorbs the shot. Armor Inspector claims this tactic is extremely useful against HEAT, given by this Jagdpanzer E 100's 420mm penetration HEAT shell being completely absorbed just because the gun was placed over it:

Spoiler

To summarize this tactic, when you're hull down and have fired or you see someone aiming at your cupola, lift the cannon up to a high elevation and wiggle it over your commander's hatch, which can effectively save you some hitpoints if the shell gets absorbed by trying to penetrate both the gun and the hatch.

Tactic #3: The cupola gun mantlet trick

This is similar to the gun lifting trick, as it will help you bounce some shots when people aim at your cupola. First off, let's look at the cupola a little closer:

Spoiler

When you're engaging an enemy E5 frontally, you'll see that on the left side (from your view) there is a machine gun mantlet that can be practically invincible depending where your shot hits. If you look at the right side, you'll notice there is just flat armor to shoot at. This is the non-troll side of the cupola which you can usually reliably penetrate if you aim. Now, a great way to counter this and troll the heck out of people shooting at your cupola is to do this: Wait until right before you think the enemy is about to shoot, then swerve your turret to the left quickly. What happens is your machine gun mantlet will now be angled and from your opponent's view, it will now take up part of the right side of your cupola as well as the left. Be careful to not expose the side of your turret. Since the machine gun mantlet has parts that are virtually immune, chances are the shell will probably disintegrate:

Spoiler

Notice how a lot more red appeared on the cupola? Timing is essential for this trick.

Tactic #4: Diagonal facehug

This tactic is very great against run-of-the-mill pubbies. Why? Well, because most of them lack the ability to aim. And if your enemy can't aim, you're going to have a hell of a time watching your opponent missing entirely often. Warning: Do not attempt this maneuver against powerful TDs, and do not facehug straight on, as it will render this tactic pretty useless and more harmful than helpful. The only time you should be doing this is if you are forced out in the open with another tank. If you do not have to, do not go out of your way to use the diagonal facehug trick if you can do damage from mid range without taking much in return. The main reason for this trick is to avoid giving the enemy free shots on your lower plate, and instead giving them a challenge by being forced to shoot your turret or upper plate, which is still very strong.

Here's a basic rundown of how it works: Let's say you're out in the open with a lone ST-I engaging you and there is no cover nearby to retreat to. Instead of just sitting back and using your superior DPM to crush him, get close and personal with him at a diagonal angle and facehug (or just get very close so that he lacks the gun depression to nail your lower plate) and constantly move diagonally so that in the ST-I's view, your cupola is moving left to right, thus forcing him to have to readjust his aim all the time. The worst thing to do would be to facehug straight with no angle, because then as you move back and forth, in the ST-I's view, your cupola will only move back and up, and not left to right, which would make it far more difficult to hit. For most tanks without amazing gun depression, the upper plate will not be an option to shoot at, leaving them with the turret. Even for the ones who can shoot your upper plate with gold rounds, it won't be a guaranteed penetration. You can also apply the gun-lifting or cupola trick while you reload. Just be sure not to angle too much so that they can't shoot your side armor, and don't angle too little so your cupola is actually in motion.

Tactic #5: Baiting shots with your hull 

This tactic can really apply to any tank, but I feel I should put it in because the E5 is really, really good at it. The eggshell-type armor is quite troll because it will always be curved no matter what angle you're at. You can pull off some troll things with the hull, such as sloping your hull down on an incline. The penetrable parts will shift massively and thanks to the nature of the hull, the angles will still be curved, where as if you were in an E 100, your upper plate would become much more flat and possible to penetrate. The E5's armor cannot be considered "bad" due to this awesome ability to troll when you play with the angles.

A great way to bait shots with it now is when you're in a peek a boo situation, or you are simply around a corner, stick your hull out (but not your track wheels) at an autobounce angle. The E5's armor is created in a way where angling doesn't create more effective armor, but when you poke out of a corner at an autobounce angle, sometimes people will believe they can penetrate you, since the curvy hull armor was proven to not become more difficult to penetrate when angled. Yet, you angled so much that again, due to the hull armor being circular rather than flat, the hull gets harder to penetrate on one side because it begins to angle away from you.

To put this in other words, a tank like an IS-4 poking its hull out around a corner might still be penetrated by the most powerful HEAT rounds because the lower plate is very flat and the angles do not differ much depending on which part of the lower plate is struck. But the E5 has one side of the hull that is weaker since it is angled closer to you (although still extremely hard to hit and penetrate due to the angle) and then the other half of the hull which is angled away enough to be immune to everything when you're poking the hull out at autobounce angle. This technique is viable if you are trying to get the enemy to waste a shot so you can safely put one into them. Just be careful not to overexpose and give them your track wheel, for you can get tracked in place and that's not good.

That's really all I have for this guide. It is meant to point out some advanced techniques that the average pubbie would never consider. Hopefully you've learned something new about this fantastic Tier X US Heavy. It is my favorite Tier X to play simply because of its reliability and ability to perform almost any task adequately. Thanks for reading and good luck on the battlefield!

Edited by A7X0, 16 January 2016 - 09:04 AM.

underlined = click!

E 100, IS-7, T-62A, Jg. Pz. E 100, T110E3, T110E5[Guide], Object 268FV215b, E 50 M[Guide], IS-4FV4202, Object 140[Guide]M48 Patton, T110E4, STB-1

4014 average damage in Obj. 140, 4055 average damage in T110E4

_G_E_M_ #2 Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:13 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17206 battles
  • [SRT-A]

I have read up to half the guide and i can say it is very well written, mentions all the tactics to make the tank as effective as possible.

Do you personally think they would buff the cupola on the E5, or do you believe the tank is potent enough?

A7X0 #3 Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:19 AM

E4k

• Players
  • 25203 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View Post_G_E_M_, on 27 December 2015 - 04:13 PM, said:

I have read up to half the guide and i can say it is very well written, mentions all the tactics to make the tank as effective as possible.

Do you personally think they would buff the cupola on the E5, or do you believe the tank is potent enough?

I believe it needs a buff. The traverse and turret traverse and armor are now severely nerfed from PC. I feel WG needs to give it its 30 track traverse, or improved hull, turret, and cupola armor like on PC. It's still very capable, but it's not nearly as good as its PC variant.

EDIT: I noticed on the cupola "move the turret left" trick screenshots, I used different guns. However, the penetration of the IS-8 and E5 guns are exactly the same.

Edited by A7X0, 28 December 2015 - 12:22 AM.

underlined = click!

E 100, IS-7, T-62A, Jg. Pz. E 100, T110E3, T110E5[Guide], Object 268FV215b, E 50 M[Guide], IS-4FV4202, Object 140[Guide]M48 Patton, T110E4, STB-1

Unitater #4 Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:21 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22189 battles
Very well written, perhaps even rivaling Ksfwte's guide on the E5

All tier Xs acquired. Professional premium tank collector for WoTB.

Please check out my youtubeYOUTUBE CHANNEL!

Links to my guides can be found on my about me page (on profile)

Casual tanker, forum user, and pledge signer

RAMBO357 #5 Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:25 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 8313 battles
What do you think about overangling and then angling at the last second to an autobounce angle as a strategy?

A7X0 #6 Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:28 AM

E4k

• Players
  • 25203 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View PostRAMBO357, on 27 December 2015 - 04:25 PM, said:

What do you think about overangling and then angling at the last second to an autobounce angle as a strategy?

It is viable, but it's hard to predict when the enemy is going to fire sometimes. You can also apply it to really any tank, so I didn't feel it was exclusive to the E5. I mentioned overangling as a counter to HEAT spam here because if your enemy is truly HEAT spamming, all you have to do is stay overangled and hope they go for your side.

underlined = click!

RAMBO357 #7 Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:37 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 8313 battles

View PostA7X0, on 27 December 2015 - 07:28 PM, said:

It is viable, but it's hard to predict when the enemy is going to fire sometimes. You can also apply it to really any tank, so I didn't feel it was exclusive to the E5. I mentioned overangling as a counter to HEAT spam here because if your enemy is truly HEAT spamming, all you have to do is stay overangled and hope they go for your side.

Okay. Nice guide +1

FreehandToaster #8 Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:42 AM

Skrublord

• Players
  • 24419 battles
  • [_-X-_]
Very good and well written guide. I am trying to bring up my win rate to 60ish%  and even though I don't even own T110E5 these kinds of guides really help, not to mention that it helps me take them down in battle by knowing what to do. Props to you sir!

Armzilla49 #9 Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:48 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 20901 battles
What a scrub copying KS :) 

Tier 10s:  M48 Patton, T110E4,  T110E5, Object 268T-62A, Object 140, IS-7, IS-4, E 100, E50 M, Leopard 1, FV4202, FV215B, STB-1 

#1 E 100 Player NA

YouTube Channel:https://www.youtube....JsF53z_l-Ctk4jw

A7X0 #10 Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:51 AM

E4k

• Players
  • 25203 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View PostArmzilla49, on 27 December 2015 - 04:48 PM, said:

What a scrub copying KS :) 

:hiding:

underlined = click!

Nightmare7Actual #11 Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:11 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 34538 battles
+1 on both guides (Basic and Advanced), nicely done gents!!

Community Pledge Signer ~

Ksftwe #12 Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:42 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25706 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View PostUnitater, on 27 December 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

Very well written, perhaps even rivaling Ksfwte's guide on the E5

We communicated a lot during the writing of this guide. It was all done by A7, but the thought processes and discussions were cooperative. :)

[SCAMO] > [PRAMO]

LAPPELduvide #13 Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:46 AM

PhD in Dakimakura Engineering and Design M.S. in Waifu Studies

• Players
  • 24316 battles
  • [ANEKI]

View PostKsftwe, on 27 December 2015 - 06:42 PM, said:

We communicated a lot during the writing of this guide. It was all done by A7, but the thought processes and discussions were cooperative. :)

Plus KS sucks so much that if he wrote it, it wouldn't be reputable. :^>

┬┴┬┴┤ (◕ᴗ◕✿├┬┴┬┴┤(ಠ﹏ಠ├┬┴┬

>>>Join [MAHOU/ANEKI] Discord!!!<<<

Best ANIME CLAN in the NA and a nice community for weebs. 

Ksftwe #14 Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:50 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25706 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View PostZennosha, on 27 December 2015 - 08:46 PM, said:

Plus KS sucks so much that if he wrote it, it wouldn't be reputable. :^>

I bribed WG into giving me these stats. :(

[SCAMO] > [PRAMO]

Fuzequik #15 Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:18 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 10234 battles
  • [PINT]
Thanks for the guide, very helpful. 

__ikener__ #16 Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:08 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 22297 battles
  • [LXE]
Very good guide. Please do a video guide of these tactics.

"All will learn via destruction"

http://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/__ikener__

ChitFromChinola #17 Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:30 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 58107 battles
  • [-1]
Good stuff, man -- thanks for all the work putting this guide together. Well written.

Flying_Cod #18 Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:16 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 25653 battles
  • [III-C]
Thank you for the well written guide.  Great to see the truly great players in this game sharing their knowledge.  Much appreciated. 

A7X0 #19 Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:07 AM

E4k

• Players
  • 25203 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View Post___Ikener___, on 27 December 2015 - 09:08 PM, said:

Very good guide. Please do a video guide of these tactics.

If I were to one day record an E5 video, you would see me use these tactics for when the situation calls for it. Unfortunately I have to clear a lot of memory before I can dream of recording.

underlined = click!

jrandomizer #20 Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:05 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 12160 battles
  • [O_C_S]
Thanks for the information. I probably have discovered some of these through experience (bounced a HEAT-spam E5 by showing my side at ~45deg angle) but never would be able to recount these so eloquently. Hopefully I can up my average damage (currently 2430) to 2800 using these tricks.

I'm a Blue Potato. I also own a Panzer II J, the PanzerMadness prize.

I own 2 Tier 10s, T110E5 and M48 Patton

Currently Top 100 NA in T25/2.

I have a WoTB YouTube Channel, which is currently [Inactive], featuring some of my replays. 

Also tagged with T110E5, advanced, guide

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users