Guide Penetration Tips and Tricks

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

AOT_Jaeger2 #1 Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:52 PM

Dazed and Confused

• Players
  • 17830 battles
  • [ASLAN]

Hello all, it's AOT_Jaeger2 with another guide. This one was brought to mind by a similar topic by DysfunctionalDiversion. My thought came to those certain machines that just seem to bounce every shot, those machines that give us all problems. So, I have created a list of some problamatic tanks, and researched their weakpoints through wiki, Armor Inspector,  and physical play. Sorry to all of you drivers out there in these tanks, because I'm about to blow all of your secrets.

T18, Tier II Tank Destroyer:

This is probably the first truly hard to penetrate tank that new players will encounter in the entire game. With 55mm of armor at the front, it is a tough nut to crack. 

Tip 1, Lower Plate: The sloped front may not seem like a viable target to most new players, but it is actually thinner than the case mate front. With careful aim, the gunner will be able to hit a small weak point in the armor. This is easier than it sounds, and even the 20 mm auto gun on the PzKpfw. II is able to easily hit and penetrate the armor.

Tip 2: This is a bit hard to describe on paper. Basically, the armor of the case mate between the lower plate and the gun mantlet area is flat and somehow penetrable to many guns at Tier II.

Matilda, Tier IV Medium Tank:

This is probably the first hard to penetrate tank most new players will encounter, along with the Hetzer at Tier IV. The frontal hull armor of this tank ranges from around 70-78mm of thickness, and does not have any true weaknesses. Most tanks at this tier do not have enough penetration to penetrate this, and almost no Tier III tanks do either. This will require going around the sides or rear, but this does not always work either.

Tip 1, Turret: This is a very risky and difficult way to penetrate this machine,  and should only be attempted when the player must absolutely penetrate a hulldown Matilda. This is not very easy as the turret front is 80mm thick, but the cupola is not as thick. With careful aim, this cupola is penetrable, but this works best if the shooter is on higher ground than the Matilda.

Tip 2, Sides and Rear: The sides and rear of the Matilda are not much easier to penetrate,  coming in at around 60 mm and 55 mm respectively.  The best way to penetrate the side is to aim for the rectangular holes in the tracks, there are three on each side and are easily recognized.  At the rear, it is best to aim for the upper armor,  not the vent, which has a strange ability to eat shots,  especially from lower penetration guns.

AT 2, Tier V Tank Destroyer:

This machine is known as one of the most heavily armored tanks in the game before tier 7. With 203mm of armor at the front and 100mm at the sides and rear, it is extremely hard to penetrate. I will not include the cupola, as it is a well known weakpoint.

Tip 1, Sides: This is more advice than an actual weakpoint. When shooting the side armor, NEVER shoot into the tracks, as these eat shots easily. The best way to penetrate the side armor is to shoot at the sides of the upper part of the tank, where the gun is located. This area is flat and not cover ed by the tracks, also provides a possibility to injure the tank's gunner.

T29, Tier VII Heavy Tank:

This tank is only truly hard to penetrate when hulldown, as the Hull armor is mostly thin. To penetrate this turret, aim for the cupola, which is a small tortoise shell-like bump to the rear of the turret. This works best when on slightly higher ground than the target, and requires an accurate gun. (Guns like the Comet's 77mm, most Tier 6 75mm guns, the JPanther's 88mm). This also applies to the T32 and T34 at Tier VIII.

T26E4 SuperPershing, Tier VIII Premium Medium Tank:

This machine can be encountered quite often in Tier 8 games. While it's armor isn't much of a problem to most equal and higher tier tanks, it can be difficult for lower tiers to penetrate frontally. The Hull armor is 177mm thick, but has a weaker lower glacis. The biggest problem is the turret. While not very thick, it has a big spaced plate at the front of it. The biggest issue is that it may appear penetrable to lo wer tiers when in sniper mode, but will bounce shots easily. Simply shoot the exposed cupola and turret top to avoid this problem.

AT 15a, Tier VII Premium Tank Destroyer:

Like the other British TD'S in the game, the AT 15a is very heavily armored all around. However, the 15a is particularly hard to penetrate, even for Tier VII guns. The simple bit of advice is the same as the AT 2 and other British TDs,  flank it, and avoid shooting the tracks, instead aim for the flat case mate sides.

IS-3, Tier VIII Heavy Tank:

This tank poses a big problem to players as they go into higher tiers, as it's armor profile is unique and difficult to penetrate frontally. The Hull armor is "Piked", consisting of two opposing sloped plates which are steeply inclined. From the direct front, it is almost inpenetrable to most guns.

Tip 1, Negating the Armor Affect: The frontal hull isn't actually very thick, but gains a massive armor effectiveness boost from the angle of the armor plates. This is easily bypassed by moving to one side of the tank and isolating one side of the hull at a direct angle. This will alow you to penetrate much easier and this is a good plan even for Tier VIII and IX tankers.

Tip 2, Turret Weak Point: The upgraded turret on the IS 3 has a very easy to hit weak point. This is the raised strip that extends from  the gun mantlet to the top of the turret. When in a "facehug" posistion or against a hulldown IS, this is the best point to target for easy penetration.

IS-6, Tier VIII Premium Heavy Tank:

This one was an obvious pick, you all saw it coming. I find that the IS-6 is very annoying in Tier 8 games, in multiple ways.

Tip 1, Avoid Angling: The IS-6's armor gains most of its armor strength from the extreme sloping of its armor. Other than the turret, almost every square inch of this tank's armor is sloped at a very steep incline. The obvious way to avoid this is attempting to shoot at a 90 degree angle to the armor, the best place doing this being the sides, which are slightly flatter than the rest of the tank. Be careful in doing this, as the corners of the tank are sloped in different directions, and can bounce shots from the side easily. These can also be used as weak points if the player shoots from a certain angle.

Tip 2, Turret Weaknesses: Like the rest of this tank, the turret is very hard to penetrate, especially from the front, but also from the sides and rear due to its round shape. However, there are two weaknesses in the turret front that can be exploited. One is the turret cheeks, on either side of the gun mantlet. These can be spotted by their round shape and slightly darker colouration.  However, these are small and can be hard to spot and hit from even moderate range, as well as being close to the gun mantlet. The second is both easier and harder to hit in different circumstances. The turret top and cupola can be hit from the front with careful aim. It can be identified by the dark color and irregular shape on top of the turret. While very hard to hit, it can be penetrated easier than the front.

Tip 3, Front Hatch: This part of the machine is easy to spot and hit from the front. While the lower glacis is easier to hit, it is sloped back and can be easily covered. This hatch is a small square located in the direct center of the front hull armor. It is vulnerable when un-angled, and is easier to hit, even with more inaccurate guns.

So there you go. Feel free to try these out on your own, or suggest additions to the guide as you see fit. I hope this was helpful to new and somewhat experienced players alike.

Best, and Good luck out there,

AOT_Jaeger2

Edited by AOT_Jaeger2, 29 December 2015 - 08:03 PM.

Garage: T7 CC, R35, Light VIC, Tetrarch, M4A2E4, PzKpfw. IV Anko SP, KV-2, Strv. 74A2, LTTB, SU-122-44, IS-3, IS-5, KV-5, Lowe.

Was #24 VK 30.01 (P) Player in NA, #32 in Luchs

Stats:http://www.blitzstar...com/AOT_Jaeger2

Youtuber? I guess?

dont_open_dead_inside #2 Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:21 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11614 battles
  • [SPUDX]
this explains how the t7 combat car can pen my t18 frontally

f9Yj0xl.gif

AOT_Jaeger2 #3 Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:22 PM

Dazed and Confused

• Players
  • 17830 battles
  • [ASLAN]

View Postdogfightmaster03, on 29 December 2015 - 03:21 PM, said:

this explains how the t7 combat car can pen my t18 frontally

Yep. And you can't even blame gold, because the T7 doesn't carry any!

Garage: T7 CC, R35, Light VIC, Tetrarch, M4A2E4, PzKpfw. IV Anko SP, KV-2, Strv. 74A2, LTTB, SU-122-44, IS-3, IS-5, KV-5, Lowe.

Youtuber? I guess?

AOT_Jaeger2 #4 Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:28 PM

Dazed and Confused

• Players
  • 17830 battles
  • [ASLAN]

View PostAOT_Jaeger2, on 29 December 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

Yep. And you can't even blame gold, because the T7 doesn't carry any!

My best suggestion is to find a way to cover the lower plate.  Or angle, but that takes some luck and skill

Youtuber? I guess?

Ryan_Dazel #5 Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8772 battles
Btw if you see the little slopes on the side of the Matilda, you can shoot those then your shot will bounce upwards and hit the armor. Best way to penetrate it. In the game, it says the slopes are red, but the shots will bounce upwards

Edited by Ryan_Dazel, 29 December 2015 - 09:24 PM.

I like turtlez

L1LBunnyFooFoo_ #6 Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:30 PM

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.

• Players
  • 22935 battles
Most of this guide was just "Shoot the sides and rear" as if it wasn't obvious enough... Regardless it was helpful to read :)

ShapeshifterOS #7 Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:36 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4954 battles
The cupola on the AT-2 is a big weak spot.

ShapeshifterOS #8 Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:41 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4954 battles
Like the AT-15 you can actually shoot through the gun mantlet of the AT-15a since there's no armor behind it, though this may be difficult for lower tier tanks or un-upgraded tier 7s. Also as with all AT series tanks the cupola on top is weak.

AOT_Jaeger2 #9 Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:06 PM

Dazed and Confused

• Players
  • 17830 battles
  • [ASLAN]

View PostShapeshifterOS, on 29 December 2015 - 04:41 PM, said:

Like the AT-15 you can actually shoot through the gun mantlet of the AT-15a since there's no armor behind it, though this may be difficult for lower tier tanks or un-upgraded tier 7s. Also as with all AT series tanks the cupola on top is weak.

View PostShapeshifterOS, on 29 December 2015 - 04:36 PM, said:

The cupola on the AT-2 is a big weak spot.

View Postkrownski, on 29 December 2015 - 04:30 PM, said:

Most of this guide was just "Shoot the sides and rear" as if it wasn't obvious enough... Regardless it was helpful to read :)

If you read a bit further, you will see that I acknowledged all of these things, I did mention that cupolas are weakpoints on British ATs, but did not go in depth as it is common knowledge. As for shoot the sides and rear...you are completely correct, but you have no idea how much I have seen these mistakes made

Youtuber? I guess?

Gavidoc01 #10 Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:40 AM

Platinum Card Wallet Warrior

• Players
  • 47411 battles
  • [III]
For the tilda shoot below the drum on the back. Much better chances to pen then shooting above the drum. 

My Blitzstars

I'm a Platinum Card Wallet Warrior.

You’re welcome for supporting the game. 

Also tagged with Guide, Penetration, Tips and Tricks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users