Is-8 tips ands hints

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

UwUmonkeChan #1 Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:51 AM

Clubs Wargaming

• Players
  • 31869 battles
  • [_V2_]
Like title states. Any tips for this tank would be great. Play style, equipment and consumables, and anything else would be great, I have everything except for top gun and engine unlocked. I'm going for the gun first.

Three60Mafia #2 Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:58 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 13087 battles
Your greatest strength is your mobility, and a great gun with great pen and ROF. Keep yourself alive and pumping out damage.

Click on signature to be taken to full stat page!

BootlegTampico #3 Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:02 AM

"LGoW" --Random Pub

• Players
  • 22672 battles
  • [-OHM-]

Accurate^ avoid exposure at all. The armor is pretty mediocre, even the turret is meh. Peekabooming is where this tank excels at, and using your DPM is critical.

look for opportunities where you can push to make an advantage more pronounced with your fantastic mobility.

Clan War Discord Server youtube Join the Legion

I would love for Wargaming to succeed, and I will push for success until I'm gone or Blitz is. 

_Wilde #4 Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:05 AM

Zootopia's Finest Tanker

• Players
  • 15478 battles
  • [NVA]

I didn't really like this tank that much.. it obviously isn't your typical heavy. People say play it like a medium, and thats basically what it is. Your gun is fantastic and so is your mobility, so exploit that in battle. But also be aware that your gun depression is very bad (which is one of the things I really hate about this tank).

im thinking about buying it back though, to give it another go. 

Auferstanden aus Ruinen

Für den Schutz der Arbeiter und Bauern Macht.

Three60Mafia #5 Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:09 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 13087 battles
The armor can be pretty trolly, you can sometimes get away with sidescrape here and there. But like with all pike-noses, you want to be facing your enemies head on or avoid facing them period. Especially since anything tier 8 and above will mostly likely pen you in most areas.

You can also play it as an anti-medium. A tank that your enemies would hate to see in their T-54's when they are flanking, since you will pen them with good accuracy everywhere.

Edited by Three60Mafia, 31 December 2015 - 06:09 AM.

Click on signature to be taken to full stat page!

Silevern #6 Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:09 AM

To Valhalla! Witness me!

• Players
  • 17628 battles

Loved this tank so much. I like it more than the IS-7. Unfortunately for the sake of progress I sold it but this definitely will be a tank that I will be repurchasing in the far future

The way you play this... I would say you should stick with the heavies, but take advantage of your speed and mobility to either lead the charge and get to a key position early (mill at Winter Malinovka) or to flank around take some sneaky shots. The tank is also very good at sidescraping so try abusing this tactic while at a location like Himmelsdorf.

Peek a boom, abuse DPM. Remember you can go the same speed as a T-54 if you use the speed boost consumable. This really is an exceptional tank; I like to think of it as a Russian medium with a heavy's gun and armor. I truly loved it.

View PostThree60Mafia, on 31 December 2015 - 01:58 AM, said:

Your greatest strength is your mobility, and a great gun with great pen and ROF. Keep yourself alive and pumping out damage.

You're back!

Silevern #7 Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:13 AM

To Valhalla! Witness me!

• Players
  • 17628 battles

Now for some other tips... you will want to prioritize the gun, yes. That's a huge factor of the tank that everyone should always go for. If it requires a turret upgrade first, do that, but if it doesn't, I would try to get the top engine before the top turret. The IS-8 is all about gun and mobility, and you will want to get those two factors ASAP.

Recommended consumables: Multirepair kit, adrenaline, speed boost

Recommended equipment: Gun Rammer, Gun Laying Drive, Vents

Recommended ammo: 10 HEAT, 5 HE, the rest with AP

_Artoria #8 Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:25 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 34136 battles
  • [2WEAK]

Pro IS-8 tip: don't play the thing.

Or at least that's how I felt when I was grinding through it. It recently got a health buff, and I believe is now a lot more competitive. My tips? Play it like you would an E5. It's heavium play style is extremely similar to the E5, with notable points such as a great gun, decent armour, and superb mobility when compared to same tiered heavy counterparts. Be sneaky; if the enemy can't see you, they can't shoot you (unless you get on the bad side of RNGesus), and while you're outside of their fire range, let your high penetration and decent DPM main armament sing the chorus of victory for your team.

Edited by MorganFreemanKILLEDU, 31 December 2015 - 06:26 AM.

66% unreliable skrub.

ComradePike #9 Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:40 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 10781 battles

It's one of the best Tier 9 tanks...if played to its potential.  Go to Youtube and look up 48ton Ruckus IS8 (and Bushka).  Watch those.  Ruckus used to hate this tank like a lot of people but has come around since the buffs.  

1.  Use the gun.  It's freakin' great.  Good pen, good alpha, good ROF.  Play 2nd line and tear up distracted tanks...you can often get kills before they even know you're there.

2.  Play to not get hit.  The terrain is your armor.  The low profile of this tank (and quick reverse acceleration) makes peek a booming behind low hills totally plausible.  Hull down can be done too, just not as easily.  Take your shot and get back behind cover...if someone presses you, use the mobility to reposition and start over.  Don't get into brawls with this tank if you can help it.

3.  Reread #2.

4.  Support your mediums if you have enough heavies on your team to hold the front.  The IS8 has the speed to flank and will chew up Red mediums if it encounters them.  *Just be sure you're not the only 'heavy' or one of two...there's no flank if there's no front.

Hope that helps...it took me at least 100 battles or so to figure out how to play this tank and my stats have steadily risen in it since then.  It's a fun, fun tank...don't let anyone fool you into thinking otherwise.

Edited by Comrade_Pike, 31 December 2015 - 06:41 AM.

weasleman #10 Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:57 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 11759 battles
  • [RUSE]

Oh, and don't play it stock, otherwise you're nothing but a burden to the team.

h

acrisis #11 Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:03 AM

Captain

• Players
  • 21331 battles
  • [III-C]
I wish I could love mine. Just lost the four out of four games in it. I play conservatively and it really has no strengths. It is not a heavy, gets penned by anything. It is not a medium because it doesn't drive like one. The gun ... I will troll you. I feel sad and lucky at the same time I still have an above 50wr in it. 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

[ NEW > ]  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified usingPingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii
Blitz University | Basic Training  |  Mentor  |  The Pingplotter Guy

UwUmonkeChan #12 Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:03 AM

Clubs Wargaming

• Players
  • 31869 battles
  • [_V2_]
How does hull-down work in this tank? I know the top can be penetrated but it doesnt seem like a big target to me.

clever_pseudonym #13 Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:03 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 33589 battles

It's heresy, but I liked the IS-8 much, much more than the IS-3. I still had a fair amount of noobery in it, but it was enough fun to play that I'll probably rebuy it at some point.

Hull down and keep an eye on which side of your pike nose the reds are aiming. You can bounce a hell of a lot of shots by wiggling at the appropriate time while reversing.

Sidescraping isn't great in it. Peekaboom by factoring in the pike nose and utilizing the angles in your favor, in the same way you would peek only half of a 268 around a building, backing away into cover to increase the angling on the armor.

Oh, and iirc, I ran Rammer, VStabs, and EGL. The top gun has a truly horrendous aiming time (almost three seconds). That was the real weakness of the tank for me, not the armor. 

Edit: if you hull down, keep rocking and wiggling. The weak spots aren't large and are extremely tough to hit if you're moving. 

Edited by clever_pseudonym, 31 December 2015 - 07:06 AM.

_G_E_M_ #14 Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:12 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17206 battles
  • [KNGTS]
I'm a bit lazy to write it down but on my profile I have a link to the guide on the is-8, it explains the hull down tactic also :)

Derf19 #15 Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:13 AM

Left Coast Lagger

• Players
  • 23508 battles
  • [III-X]
Play it like heavium. Flank and support mediums when possible.

"I'm Not Young Enough To Know Everything" -Oscar Wilde

Tier X Tanks I Don't Have: T57, OBJ.263, STB-1, AMX 50 B

Tanks I'm Grinding: T69 & Type 61 

Me 30 Day Stats Here

ComradePike #16 Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:14 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 10781 battles
Honestly if you're struggling in this tank, take the time to seek out some vids of expert players driving it.  

View Postacrisis, on 31 December 2015 - 01:03 AM, said:

I wish I could love mine. Just lost the four out of four games in it. I play conservatively and it really has no strengths. It is not a heavy, gets penned by anything. It is not a medium because it doesn't drive like one. The gun ... I will troll you. I feel sad and lucky at the same time I still have an above 50wr in it. 

The gun is one of the better parts of this tank...you're talking about the top gun right?  Because yes...the lower tier stuff neuters this tank quite a bit.  You need to have the engine/track/gun upgrades to get the most from this tank...I didn't, but wish I had free xp'd the modules.  My stats would be much, much better.  

I don't think you necessarily play this tank conservatively (relatively speaking)....it has the armor to be aggressive on the flank since it'll eat mediums for breakfast.   The only time I find myself having a terrible game in it is if I find myself on the front line and focused on by the Reds.  

Ksftwe #17 Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:25 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26250 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View Postcrazychimp69, on 31 December 2015 - 02:03 AM, said:

How does hull-down work in this tank? I know the top can be penetrated but it doesnt seem like a big target to me.

If you keep moving, the turret is pretty darn strong. The cupolas on top are absolutely minuscule, and the turret cheek weakspots are hard to hit. Overall the turret is better than the M103's, but that's pretty much offset by its nonexistent gun depression. So keep that in mind before you go hull down. Being invincible doesn't matter if you can't use your gun to hit targets.

[SCAMO] > [PRAMO]

acrisis #18 Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:55 PM

Captain

• Players
  • 21331 battles
  • [III-C]

View PostComrade_Pike, on 31 December 2015 - 02:14 AM, said:

Honestly if you're struggling in this tank, take the time to seek out some vids of expert players driving it.  

The gun is one of the better parts of this tank...you're talking about the top gun right?  Because yes...the lower tier stuff neuters this tank quite a bit.  You need to have the engine/track/gun upgrades to get the most from this tank...I didn't, but wish I had free xp'd the modules.  My stats would be much, much better.  

I don't think you necessarily play this tank conservatively (relatively speaking)....it has the armor to be aggressive on the flank since it'll eat mediums for breakfast.   The only time I find myself having a terrible game in it is if I find myself on the front line and focused on by the Reds.  

Thanks for the feedback. I'm only managing to be average in it.  I play a bit conservative in general and I know it gets penned easily by most tanks it faces, so I try to avoid being in the open, front line, ... But you're right, I play it too much 2nd line heavy, which ends up being front line really and not enough like a medium. 

The latter "front line" thing" and focus fire from red" happens way too much. 

Part hesitant teams?

Part trying to help in the "best" position on the map?

Part trying to hold my position and getting flanked, overrun, COD by two or more reds knowing I can only dmg them back 1 shot at a time ....

Part my own mental state on the tank? 

Shots. While decently accurate either I'm not aiming well enough, and even when I let it fully aim in and take on dmg right before my shot dings, bounces, ricochets ... which of course in part comes from angles, trying to minimize my exposure and avoid taking on dmg, ... while trying to hit the enemy, who may be hulled down, angled, ... 

My only good games in it are when red ignores me and I can from the second line put shot after shot down range and they actually go in, and I can be that confederate shooter that can hit anything that moves near and help take them out.   

With the IS and IS3 I'd just run front line, second line, and do decent - good - well (my wr in them has dropped a couple % recently, post nerf, they don't quite have the same edge and enemies play a lot more aggressive, worry less about and IS or IS3, where you fired, they swarm you). IS8 I'm just doing 50/50 really. It has never really given me a good vibe, and is why I drive it only when somebody wants a platoon. 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

[ NEW > ]  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified usingPingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii
Blitz University | Basic Training  |  Mentor  |  The Pingplotter Guy

KevnxKilla #19 Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:05 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 15263 battles
  • [TITAN]
Stay facing straight on to enemies at all possible times.

Edited by KevnxKilla, 31 December 2015 - 01:05 PM.

reluctanttheist #20 Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:46 AM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 28195 battles
  • [III-H]
This is a crazy mobile tank.  It's more mobile than the M103 and the turret is a bit tougher IMO, but the hull less so!  I play second line, then play flanker or flank killer.  But yeah that gun depression is bad.  I try to find humps and bumps to help overcome that, and play it like a large T-54!

Edited by reluctanttheist, 03 January 2016 - 12:47 AM.

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users