Discord Teamspeak Mumble Clans

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

reluctanttheist #1 Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:22 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 27131 battles
  • [III-H]

I've had a few inquiries about Discord what with the TS pranking and other issues associated with voice comm servers in the last little while.  Read this post twice - you'll need to so as to fully understand what you're doing.

I have a fair amount of IT and server admin experience, and have set up both self-hosted and web hosted Mumble and TS servers over the years. I liked Mumble better until Discord came along.  But now I like Discord most - it's a well-polished app with few drawbacks, except there's no option to host a Discord server yourself.  So if Discord folds or becomes undesirable for whatever reason, you're hosed - in which case I would go back to Mumble. But let's walk you through Discord. 

Go Discord, Go!

Setting up a Discord server is insanely easy:

1. Make an account
  2. Download the app and login - works on mobile, desktop, and through Google Chrome
  3. Create the Server for your group - while best done on a PC, can also be done with the mobile app.  On the black band on the left, click the dashed circle with the + inside it... yeah, that's it, you just created your Discord server!  Stupid easy, right?
  4. Administrate the server and set up roles
  5. Upload your clan logo (max 128x128px)
  6. Set up voice and text channels as desired

CREATING the server is easy, but roles require some attention.  And there's a couple of fine points to note as well.

Part 1: Roles

The most important thing to set up on your Discord server is roles.  These are permissions, essentially - they control access for groups of users on your server.  They're edited in the Server Settings dialog from the top menu in Discord.  Note that for each role you create, the Permissions you give to each role can be overridden by the Settings of each voice or text channel.   Go to Server Settings > Roles.

While you'll probably only need two or three roles for your server, pay attention to the @everyone role.  If someone is given the link to your server, they will join your server (unless you ban or kick them) and will automatically get the @everyone role.  By default, any new voice or text channel you create will give @everyone access to that channel, though you can and should deny them any permissions to all channels.  And there's an odd exception: the #general text channel that gets created when you create your new server cannot be hidden from @everyone, even if you rename it.  All other text channels can be hidden from members with the @everyone role, but this one channel will remain visible.  You can deny @everyone the ability to read message history or post to that channel, but they'll still be able to see that it's there.

Moderators and Admins

Moderators on your server should have, under General Permissions, the Kick and Ban Members permissions checked, and under Text Permissions Manage Messages checked.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Admins on your server can either, under General Permissions, have Manage Server permissions or the 'god mode': Manage Roles.  Note that the original creator of the server cannot have his access revoked, so someone with the Manage Roles permission cannot revoke the permissions of the original account that created the server.

Denying @everyone access to anything

What's probably best is to edit the @everyone role so that all the boxes are unchecked, and people who come to your server won't see anything except the #general text channel.  If you wish to have a specific text and/or voice channel that anyone can access without you have to do anything, then go those channels' settings and explicitly allow @everyone to access it by clicking the permissions you wish to give until the box has a green checkmark in it.  Read on below.

Guest Role

Once someone has joined your server, you can create a guest role that allows them access to more text and/or voice channels.  In the Server Settings dialog, click on Roles and create the Guest Role and give them the desired permissions.  This is what we've set up:

Spoiler

Member Role

Clan members will probably want all permissions, though you need not give them admin capabilities.  Create a Members role in Server Settings > Roles and give them these permissions:

Spoiler

Part 2: Creating Roles and assigning them to users

Once you've created the roles, now you need to add members to these roles.  Go to Server Settings > Members, and find a user to whom you wish to add a role.  Click the + under their name to add the role to that user.  So once a new user has joined your server, an admin has to add a role to them so they can access text or voice channels - otherwise they will not be able to access anything if you're following the directions in this post. 

Part 3: New Channels - Roles and Permissions

When you create a new channel, only the @everyone role is added to the channel.  To change this, you must first create the channel, then hover over the new channel and click the gear icon to edit its settings.  Click Permissions on the left, then + at the top and add whatever Role you want to have access to the channel.  So let's say you created a Role called Guest and gave them a number of permissions: those permissions will be given to them to access this channel if their Role is added to this channel.  At this point, whatever permissions were given to that Role in Server Settings will now be added to this channel.  

Spoiler

You'll notice that the Role's checkboxes for Permissions for this channel are filled with gray slashes - that means that right now these permissions are driven by Server Settings > Roles.  You can override them for this channel as desired, but if you have your Role permissions set up right in Server Settings > Roles, then you only need to add the Role to the channel and you're done.  So you may have channels that Guests can access, and channels that only Members can access.  Oddly, even if a role cannot connect to a voice channel, they will still see that it's there even if that role hasn't been added to that voice channel.  On the other hand, text channels will not appear for users unless their role has been added to that text channel.  Go figure. Don't forget the exception about @everyone being able to see the #general text channel in the list, even if they can't post to it or read anything in it.  Again, I would recommend that in Server Settings > Roles that you uncheck all permissions for @everyone so that people who get onto your server have access to nothing until someone gives them a Guest or Member role.  You can of course give @everyone Read Messages and Read Message History access on one text channel so they can read a welcome message and know they won't have access to anything until an admin flips the switch.

I've left out lots of details, but that should get you sorted on roles - and as we've seen, proper administration of your server keeps you from unpleasant experiences!

Part 4: But wait! there's more!  There's... BOTS!!

Discord has an API that's getting all kinds of love from users.  Now you can add bots to your server that can help admin your server, or even better - show you your Blitz tank stats!  Let's look at two commonly used ones by clans in this game.

Dyno is an excellent bot to help advanced Discord admins see more of what's happening on their Discord server.  If you're interested, go to their website: https://www.dynobot.net/

Blitzbot is developed by the illustrious Xaver5A from Storm.  It can tell you your current stats, how you're doing in a certain tank, and who's in a clan.  You can add it by using this link: https://discordapp.com/oauth2/authorize?client_id=173627383566434306&scope=bot&permissions=36817920  To learn how to use it, after you've added it to your server, type in @blitzbot help

For more Discord bots, go to https://www.carbonit...t/Discord/bots​

Edited by reluctanttheist, 14 March 2017 - 04:43 PM.

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

_G_E_M_ #2 Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:28 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17206 battles
  • [KNGTS]
Right when our clan is about to create one! very easy to follow, definitely a great guide to setting up discord +1 :)

jensen215_ #3 Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:31 PM

Scientia Potentia Est

• Players
  • 13237 battles
  • [IMPR]

sweet  sounds good will share  this with  our guys thanks!

Commander of The Imperium

We Will Rise Again, The Empire is dead, long live the Empire, The Imperium has risen

Carry a noob and he will have victory for a battle teach a man to carry and he will lead to domination        

MLFSiS1.png

Click on the CWG Game Guru tag for my Guides

GenericMIKE #4 Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:45 PM

The Most Generic Tanker in Blitz

• Players
  • 28904 battles
  • [COFFY]

You all know who you should thank for introducing you guys to Discord.

HInt

Edited by GenericMIKE, 02 January 2016 - 09:45 PM.

You can visit Blitz Guru for current news, updates, map guides, tank guides and more!

AASHKC #5 Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:50 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 14466 battles
  • [MOM5]
I like teamspeak better.

My Device (Android)Samsung Galaxy Note Pro--12.2''

Clan: Proud to be a M.O.M

Looney-Tooners founded by myself & Acrisis

acrisis #6 Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:25 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20703 battles
  • [III-C]

Very good setup guide. 

I hope discord fixes a few usability and interface issues soon. Some things are hidden unless you swipe or press and hold, which is like an easter egg hunt. Defaults to a txt channel. People can't visually see how to get into a voice channel. 

The major sore point with Discord is still the invite system. Defaults to 30min. People can't just search for your server by name or address. Can't copy/paste an invite into the game. So you need to exchange a forum PM or emails to get the invite to them ... all that is less spontaneous then giving out an address. Many people don't want to do the forum. Plenty prefer not to give out their email. I've created several advanced permanent invites only to see those not work properly either. Discord has looked into this on LT and confirmed at least there were some anomalies. 

Once people are used to it a little. It is a great setup though. 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

[ NEW > ]  Lag, Packet Loss, Ghost Shells, Networking and more demystified usingPingPlotter (free)  
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii
Blitz University | Basic Training  |  Mentor  |  The Pingplotter Guy

xjs #7 Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:41 PM

Get off my lawn!

• Players
  • 14535 battles
  • [CYCLN]
Many thanks for the post.  We've had a couple issues setting ours up, usually user specific.  Overall, it's a great app.

Twitch Stream!    Thunderstorm Division   Recent Stats   

reluctanttheist #8 Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:05 AM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 27131 battles
  • [III-H]
You can create a permanent invite - just have to dig for it a bit ;) - when creating an Instant Invite for a channel, choose Advanced Settings.  It's in there!

Edited by reluctanttheist, 03 January 2016 - 12:09 AM.

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

Matt99TJ #9 Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:09 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 26888 battles
  • [DETH]
Thanks for this post.  Will be using the info to get Discord set up for our clan.

furicle #10 Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:53 PM

Tuber or not tuber...

• Players
  • 50875 battles
  • [SPUDX]
Nicely laid out.  On my list of things to look at one day.  Hard to get to it though, I keep goofing off to play this little tank game on my phone.

_______  __  _____      
  / __/ _ \/ / / / _ \
 _\ \/ ___/ /_/ / // /
/___/_/   \____/____/

Prammo comes naturally to a golden russet...

Major_BUZZK1LL #11 Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:45 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 13695 battles
Make sure you all join my discord channel. Link is in the signature. Free open voice platooning regardless of clan.

YouTube HERE Please Subscribe, My Stats HERE

qnPGOyj.gif

Free Voice Platooning on My Discord Server HERE

"A piece of spaghetti or a military unit can only be led from the front end."

Kappy_ #12 Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:31 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6737 battles
  • [DK0]
Thanks very kindly for this Major Buzzkill. I already had a very basic Channel already setup and working, but had no idea there were other parameters such as roles that could be setup as well.  Really terrific guide. Thanks again!

Nov3l_Pand3mic #13 Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:25 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 11434 battles
  • [MURD1]
Good stuff!

Nov3l_Pand3mic #14 Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:43 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 11434 battles
  • [MURD1]
So I do have one question for all who are using Discord . . . . can you use Discord on the same device you play the game on or do you need to run on separate device?
Sorry for the noob question about it.

reluctanttheist #15 Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:53 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 27131 battles
  • [III-H]
You can of course run Discord and Blitz on the same device - maybe not an old one though.

Nov3l_Pand3mic #16 Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:01 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 11434 battles
  • [MURD1]
Well I may not be able too run them both then, lol. I do all play on my Samsung S4 phone.
Future thing anyway as just got handed the keys to a clan and at the moment am trying to get some more members. Anyway thanks for the information.

djlunchbox #17 Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:14 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6592 battles
  • [NORM]
Bump Bump Bump,  pay attention to this folks!     Thanks RT!  

My clan tag? Say it with me.... "door-see-ya".  And yes,   We can all get you reservations. 

reluctanttheist #18 Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:36 AM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 27131 battles
  • [III-H]
Just added some info about bots so people can add these two useful bots to their Discord servers :B

Also tagged with Discord, Teamspeak, Mumble, Clans

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users