• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

ahredstealth #21 Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:06 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 19022 battles
  • [SPUD]

View Postfuricle, on 05 January 2016 - 11:46 AM, said:

There's the rub.  When to push, and when not.   You medium drivers (cough) always think with the gas pedal :-)

Pushing in a med often increases your defense - you're harder to hit on the move.

Glass cannons are the other extreme.  Pushing drastically reduces their defense.

I'm probably too defensive playing most of my tanks, and overcompensate when I get behind the levers of something that actually moves forward. :-/

Slow learner :-)

Probably true.  I have to seriously rethink my strategy in slow heavies when I'm starting a game.  I often over expose and die early because in a medium I "Could have pulled that move off."

Good Add Fur.

View Postspamalot2010, on 05 January 2016 - 01:37 PM, said:

Very well done. Very solidly founded strategies and reasons behind them.

As I've played more and gotten a little better, I've found myself prioritizing TDs and anyone i can get 2-3 hits on before they can get cover. Tds have low HP and are usually very well armed, so they make sense to kill first if they expose themselves. Meds move fast enough that its rare to be able to kill them outright before they get away. Exposed targets can be finished off, so they are priority, whether low tier or not. 

This makes a lot of sense to me.  If I'm in a mid/low tier medium on a map with decent spotting lanes, and high perches for TDs, many times I will make it my mission to light up TDs early so the team can take them out.  Dead Rail for example...  I may not be shooting them, but I'm trying to expose them, and then the Team can hit a typically not as well armored target that doesn't move that well.

Today I went to the bathroom and forgot my phone.

There are 256 tiles in the bathroom...

LoweExpectations #22 Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:14 PM

Icelandic

• Players
  • 14905 battles

Some additional points were missed:

Force:

- Having a gun in the game is better than none, if you are a full health Leopard 1 and a one-shot green 268 is in front of you about to get smashed by a IS-7, then step up and take the shot for him. The 268 will then put 600 damage (if he isn't a scrub) into the IS-7, which will help your cause. Treating your team's hitpoint pool as one large pool is often the best way to increase your force, sometimes even double it.

Time:

- Medium tanks usually are the main tanks that push the tempo of the battle, keeping them as high force that are more valuable then heavies. 

- If your team is highly disorganized then you want to slow the time, fight a delaying action as it gives time to regroup.

- A battle tactic using time as a main point is Falls Creek.

- A classic example of this is Case Study: Falls Creek

- In Falls Creek if I am in a VERY slow tank that has the hitpoints to hold for a while, I sometimes suggest the entirety of the team to go into the cap circle while I fight a delaying action at the bridge. However, as a valuable medium, you do not want to throw your life away. A middle tier tank or a bottom tier tank with tons of armor and hitpoints often do this the best. An example is the TOG II, which can easily hold (or block :trollface:) the bridge. This delaying action gives the rest of the team a massive advantage as some tanks are caught in the bridge fight, which can be easily flanked, and they can take the base through number superiority.

Honors: Most Mentally Insane Leopard PTA Driver, Pioneer of the Dracuyolo, Guides.

Maturin1801 #23 Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:51 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13361 battles
  • [SPUDX]

Very very nice Zip_Zip, I've only watched the first video so far but love how you've combined the theory with a real example.

One thought on Force - let me know your opinion. 

Force is about making the odds unfair to the enemy. This can be accomplished by either keeping your own team together, or by splitting the enemy team up. You actually want to avoid the 7 on 7 confrontation (especially if you're still a noob like me). What strategies can be employed to increase the odds that the Reds will split up, and come at your forces piecemeal? For example, going town on Middleburg in my experience tends to split the reds up... or worse case they loop around the hill together and come at you in town in one nice neat conga line. This occasionally happens on Mines as well. Using cap to set a trap can cause the reds to split up as each red has their own threshold of when it's urgent to reset. 

The reason I dislike Castilla above all maps is that its so hard to keep your team together. I spend more time spinning my turret on that map than anywhere. But I expect the reds feel the same way.

tldr... So the question is: we know we need to keep our team together to maximize our force... but are there strategies to split up the reds to minimize theirs?

Looking forward to watching the rest of the series!

Zip_Zip #24 Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:00 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 43064 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostMaturin1801, on 05 January 2016 - 03:51 PM, said:

Very very nice Zip_Zip, I've only watched the first video so far but love how you've combined the theory with a real example.

One thought on Force - let me know your opinion. 

Force is about making the odds unfair to the enemy. This can be accomplished by either keeping your own team together, or by splitting the enemy team up. You actually want to avoid the 7 on 7 confrontation (especially if you're still a noob like me). What strategies can be employed to increase the odds that the Reds will split up, and come at your forces piecemeal? For example, going town on Middleburg in my experience tends to split the reds up... or worse case they loop around the hill together and come at you in town in one nice neat conga line. This occasionally happens on Mines as well. Using cap to set a trap can cause the reds to split up as each red has their own threshold of when it's urgent to reset. 

The reason I dislike Castilla above all maps is that its so hard to keep your team together. I spend more time spinning my turret on that map than anywhere. But I expect the reds feel the same way.

tldr... So the question is: we know we need to keep our team together to maximize our force... but are there strategies to split up the reds to minimize theirs?

Looking forward to watching the rest of the series!

I've experimented in the low tiers with this idea. 

On mines for instance from the north side I didn't go up all the way to the hill I made right for the gap between the rocks and the edge of the hilltop. I died but I dealt a lot of damage and I was blocking the entry way from the south side to get to the top. The red team had to go around all the boulders and they just gave up and split every which way the team just ran them down.

Also in my T2, A32, BTSV, I often fly right past the reds and go behind them and just keep jinking and moving as fast as I can. Usually the reds will split, some chasing me and the rest continuing forward. 

Haven't tried high tiers yet but I suspect it will be much harder to force a split.

Always remember, wherever you go, there you are...

164 tanks mastered // Have tanks, will battle // Click here for my youtube channel 

Zip_Zip #25 Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:08 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 43064 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostLoweExpectations, on 05 January 2016 - 03:14 PM, said:

Some additional points were missed:

Force:

- Having a gun in the game is better than none, if you are a full health Leopard 1 and a one-shot green 268 is in front of you about to get smashed by a IS-7, then step up and take the shot for him. The 268 will then put 600 damage (if he isn't a scrub) into the IS-7, which will help your cause. Treating your team's hitpoint pool as one large pool is often the best way to increase your force, sometimes even double it.

My only concern would be if that 268 has been doing nothing all match or is far less skilled than the tank taking the damage, he may not be worth loosing 400 hit points over if the match comes down to the wire in a one vs. one. That being said I have taken a shot for players on my team that are forumers or in good clans or that I've noticed playing very well. So it is a valid point that requires situational awareness. 

Time:

- Medium tanks usually are the main tanks that push the tempo of the battle, keeping them as high force that are more valuable then heavies. 

- If your team is highly disorganized then you want to slow the time, fight a delaying action as it gives time to regroup.

- A battle tactic using time as a main point is Falls Creek.

- A classic example of this is Case Study: Falls Creek

- In Falls Creek if I am in a VERY slow tank that has the hitpoints to hold for a while, I sometimes suggest the entirety of the team to go into the cap circle while I fight a delaying action at the bridge. However, as a valuable medium, you do not want to throw your life away. A middle tier tank or a bottom tier tank with tons of armor and hitpoints often do this the best. An example is the TOG II, which can easily hold (or block :trollface:) the bridge. This delaying action gives the rest of the team a massive advantage as some tanks are caught in the bridge fight, which can be easily flanked, and they can take the base through number superiority.

This does work but only if the opponent falls for it. This would be more tactic than an overall battle strategy. Your point about mediums is bery poingant as mediums in endgame will rule the day. 

Always remember, wherever you go, there you are...

164 tanks mastered // Have tanks, will battle // Click here for my youtube channel 

Archie761 #26 Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:07 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 25675 battles
  • [SPUDX]

Great job Zip2! I enjoyed watching all three videos and I like the analytical approach to the game. 

I did find that the volume jumped around a bit and I was adjusting on occasion. All in all a pretty small nit pick.

zucccccccccc #27 Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:19 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 13963 battles
  • [501DV]
The reference to chess made something click. I thing it might be able to change my entire perspective on tanking now... that struck pretty hard, good job. +1

Ping Highscore: > 6 billion

I'm so good, I broke the Medium 1 damage record

Junk_Fuel #28 Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:39 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 11544 battles
  • [SPUD]

Great guides zip!!!    And good job putting these together. They were very well done. 

I like the basic concept breakdown. these are very good lessons to keep in the back of your head.

New Sig ^^ Stats

Psyberius #29 Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:26 AM

Prestige Worldwide

• Players
  • 29243 battles
Ok. I got a chance to actually sit and watch all three videos. I hope new players will see this video trilogy. Sure, there might be some little things missed that others have mentioned. But this is geared towards newer players. It's not intended for advanced players. I think this hits all the important pieces to get the target audience up to speed with tactical basics. +1 and I'll definitely be subscribing to your channel!

"I have come here to kick @$$ and chew bubblegum.

...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

t4four #30 Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:38 AM

Fix the cigarette lighter

• Players
  • 36218 battles
  • [SPUDX]
So these are going into tinmanic's archive right? Should be required watching for all Spuds. I need these playing on a loop in the background while I play. It all makes perfect sense until I hit the battle button. Then all too often I go back to my old ways.
I like turtles

Ookla_the_Mok #31 Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:45 AM

Team Brisket

• Players
  • 28238 battles
  • [BRSKT]
Perfect timing. Game has stalled and requires large spray of Febreeze, etc. Look forward to watching these through, thanks ZippiZ

[BRSKT] may or may not be recruiting you. 

Our Discord is now 72% Gritty content.

MSixteen #32 Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:02 AM

Full Auto Spud Gun

• Players
  • 18398 battles
  • [_V_]
The strategies and explanations seem sound, as far as I can tell. I say "as far as I can tell" because the background music and your mellow voice was making me nod off to sleep, haha. 

"I'm not a sore loser, l just prefer to win and when I don't I get furious." ~ Ron Swanson

"If you can't figure out how to win in tier 8 against a tier 10, you're not going to be winning in tier 10" ~ PC9684

Click here for The Art of Blitz Click here for my YouTube channel!

May my M60 and BOUGHT IS-6 Fearless forever give me bountiful harvests of whiners' salt

tinmanic #33 Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:40 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 26785 battles
  • [SPUD]
Zip2 

This is really outstanding, Zip.  I like that it's centered on gaming strategy as opposed to "here's how to drive this tank".  Many thanks for this!

Edited by tinmanic, 06 January 2016 - 07:48 PM.

Stealth & Tinman looking spudly

My Stats:

tinmanic #34 Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:49 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 26785 battles
  • [SPUD]
problem is I suck at chess, too.

Stealth & Tinman looking spudly

My Stats:

ABN_Bearcat #35 Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:38 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 40990 battles
  • [WEAK]

View PostZip_Zip, on 05 January 2016 - 10:57 AM, said:

Here is my new strategy guide for beginners and intermediate players I hope you enjoy :)

Great videos! I think this is something the community has needed for a long time. Let us hope more players watch these and learn from them to improve their game play. Again, great job! :medal:

Edited by ABN_Bearcat, 06 January 2016 - 09:39 PM.

Sunny2100 #36 Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:45 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 12186 battles

Excellent strategy guide! All three videos clearly describe fundamentals and are easy to grasp concepts as portrayed by Zip_Zip! 

This should be pinned IMO, so beginners can work to understand strategy and practice it in improving their gameplay.

Well done Zip_Zip!:medal:

Edited by Sunny2100, 07 January 2016 - 02:14 AM.

papabear68 #37 Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:26 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 54175 battles
  • [UNIVN]
Zip_Zip, thanks for putting this out there. It has already made a difference in my play.

l

tlouie #38 Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:55 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9642 battles
  • [TAT]
Great idea!

Gitgudm9 #39 Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:55 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9782 battles
  • [MAHOU]
Why has it taken me so long to find this? Wonderful videos, I hope you make more.

"Anime girls were made to be lewded." - Klaus_Klavier

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users