Thoughts On An In-game Replay System?

Silevern

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Adding a Replay System to Blitz! (34 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 5 battles in order to participate this poll.

Should a replay system be implemented?

1. Yes (34 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Do you think a replay system's pros would justify the cons?

1. Yes (32 votes [94.12%])

Percentage of vote: 94.12%

2. No (2 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

Vote Hide poll

Silevern #1 Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:42 PM

To Valhalla! Witness me!

• Players
  • 17611 battles

Hey folks,

I was thinking about this for a while and I've concluded that an in-game replay system, similar to the system PC has, would be excellent for Blitz.

The system that I envisioned is this. WG could add a new menu slot for Replays. The Replays tab has three sub-tabs, "Recent Replays," "Saved Replays," and "Uploaded Replays." The Recent Replays would save the past three battles that you fought. This could be five or one or any other number but three seems reasonable to me. "Saved Replays," you can view your Recent Replays and then select a total of 10 replays to save to your device. You can view any of your recent or saved replays if you want. You can select certain replays to delete. The "Uploaded Replays" is something that I'm not sure how to do... I wanted players to be able to share replays with one another, but since you can't manipulate files on devices the way you can on a computer, I figured you should be able to upload your replays as if on Youtube and, with a link, other players can find the replay, download it, and view it on their device as well. I don't know much about app development so this might not be possible, but if it is, I'm throwing it out there.

Cons:

• Might take up lots of memory space
  • Will require lots of work from the developers to make this sort of thing
  • Could be overly complicated and hard to handle
  • "Uploaded Replays" feature might not be possible

Solutions to Cons:

• Make installation of a replay system optional
  • This doesn't have to be implemented in the next few updates, taking a long time is understandable
  • Make a "Replays Tutorial" and publish a video that shows how the replays system works

Pros:

• You can watch replays and could improve your skills as a result. In the heat of battle your decisions will be different from the tactics that you planned, and watching your replay might help you figure out what mistakes you made etc.
    • Also, you can capture better footage. Maybe your device isn't the best and, when you're playing a match, you're forced to use minimum graphics. But, when you want to watch your replay, since you're not connected online to 13 other players, you can view your replay at better graphics levels without having to worry about how good your connection is!
  • You can share replays with others! Players who used to make video guides have it much easier with replays because the viewers can control the camera and stuff and can see exactly what you do. Players making these tutorials don't have to worry about camera angles or anything, or graphics quality because this can all be controlled through the replay system. Also, a replay system would erase the joystick and buttons on the screen so the viewer can get a full view of what's going on. To make things even better, viewers can be allowed to switch perspectives through the replay system, so for example if the person making the guide is demonstrating sidescraping, the viewer can switch to the perspective of the guy shooting so the viewer can see exactly how much of an angle is best for sidescraping.
  • Reporting malicious activity and bugs would be SOOOOO much easier. You could send your replay in to Support instead of having to take screenshots. This would help Support make better decisions, the evidence is very clear and undeniable, and players don't have to consciously think about having to pause to take screenshots of chat and stuff.

Pretty good idea, huh? Please vote in the poll above. Anyone who is experienced in app development, would the "Upload Replays" system that I described work out without having to jailbreak or anything like that?

~

Silevern

Edited by Silevern, 25 January 2016 - 07:47 PM.

DysfunctionalDiversion #2 Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

I throw games so you don't have to carry.

• Players
  • 13816 battles
  • [MAHOU]

Seems like maybe it could work!
This War of Mine has a concept similar: just click start recording, and it'll save to your camera roll.

The only concern of mine would be storage and app size.

"I try too hard... to not try at all."

PURPL + Weeb

FlammeumDraco333 #3 Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:55 PM

18 Y.O. Boomer

• Players
  • 15108 battles
  • [META]

I like this idea.

Also, you got really lucky in your Jagdpanther II against my IS-6... I got an low roll on HE.:sceptic:

MEME DELENDA EST!

MutzLivesMatter #4 Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:57 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 10019 battles
I think instead getting a local replay capture device, a cloud drive will be better considering most people have 16GBs for their ipads/iphone (android no worries :| ) everytime you play a game, you replay DATA will be send to the could drive, and it will be RE-PREFORM once you downloaded from ur cloud. ( it is similar to PC replay system, where is replay is not a mp4 file or a mov file, and the only application will be the wot client,) so what am i saying is that instead saving the replay in to your device, save it's data to a cloud, this also gives an adventage that we could interact with the replay, unlike if u save it to the device, it will be a screen recording (cant move around the camera and stuff and do visual mode, etc)

Silevern #5 Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:59 PM

To Valhalla! Witness me!

• Players
  • 17611 battles

View PostFlyYuch, on 25 January 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

I think instead getting a local replay capture device, a cloud drive will be better considering most people have 16GBs for their ipads/iphone (android no worries :| ) everytime you play a game, you replay DATA will be send to the could drive, and it will be RE-PREFORM once you downloaded from ur cloud. ( it is similar to PC replay system, where is replay is not a mp4 file or a mov file, and the only application will be the wot client,) so what am i saying is that instead saving the replay in to your device, save it's data to a cloud, this also gives an adventage that we could interact with the replay, unlike if u save it to the device, it will be a screen recording (cant move around the camera and stuff and do visual mode, etc)

That makes sense. It might take a while for uploads to occur especially if your connectivity isn't so great to begin with, but I can see this working out. If WG can find the resources to create a Cloud for everyone who wants to upload replays and can find a way to let players access certain replays, then this would be a fantastic idea.

LE_gend_VI #6 Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:02 PM

The man, the myth

• Players
  • 20806 battles
  • [NIPS]
Maybe a committed add on app for blitz would work.

__bloodthirsty__ #7 Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:05 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 23341 battles
  • [TWP]
OMG they need to add this.  It would be nice to be able to save replays of games.  And everyone would be recording the annoying trolls, so hopefully they would get banned.  

T-62A > Obj 140  

Due to a troll on our server who has been banned about 5 times ( he uses proxy to get back in ) please PM me if you want the server link for the TWP clans discord server.  

ADD ARTY

" I went around the corner too fast in my hellcat kv-2 said hi " ~ Zennosha

MutzLivesMatter #8 Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:10 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 10019 battles

View PostSilevern, on 25 January 2016 - 01:59 PM, said:

That makes sense. It might take a while for uploads to occur especially if your connectivity isn't so great to begin with, but I can see this working out. If WG can find the resources to create a Cloud for everyone who wants to upload replays and can find a way to let players access certain replays, then this would be a fantastic idea.

True.....:ohmy:

Forgotten_Fox #9 Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:34 PM

Zootopia's Slyest Fox

• Players
  • 33757 battles
  • [PURPL]
my question is who voted no...

Premium Collection Almost Complete: Missing Chieftain and Type 64.

Some call me a Wallet Warrior, Some call me a Hacker... In reality, I'm simply a Fox.

"Never let 'em see that they get to you."

Overwatch0_0 #10 Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:16 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 18502 battles
  • [BK]
Thank You for WoT Blitz! Being an Iraq War Combat Veteran..... What I want out of a replay is the ability to view whole battlefield being able to zoom in and out to see what caused the lose; the lose for either side that is. MAYBE players will understand battlefield tactics better. Failure to move assets around battlefield as needed in battle equals a lose.

Shadow__Lugia #11 Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:22 AM

Let the salt flow

• Players
  • 52097 battles
  • [501ST]
YES!!!!! I've had soooo may games where I'm like "awwww if only this could have been recorded" because you can describe the game in as much detail as possible but nothing beats seeing the thing being described actually happening 

Gunner510 #12 Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:13 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 5059 battles

I have wanted a Replay system for god knows how long. I could post some games in Premiums that I love as a sort of  "Buyer's Guide" For tanks like the Tetrarch, Valentine 2, AC-1 Sentinel, Löwe, and Cromwell Excelsior.

I actually had a REALLY GOOD GAME in the Lowe recently where I managed to stop a SU-Derp and Tiger 2 with low damage taken, and would be great for an Urban HT Combat guide.

I have plenty of good games in the Excelsior, and that can show how a Medium Tank flank supported by a Fast Heavy, Like the Excelsior, could turn the tide.

SilverBack68 #13 Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:04 PM

Private

• Players
  • 19168 battles
  • [69T]

Has anyone successfully shared a video with another player?  I send things to players by email or messenger but they are not able to view the video.

Thanks for any help.

HumanCoookie #14 Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:28 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 13373 battles
  • [TJSUX]

View PostSilevern, on 25 January 2016 - 07:42 PM, said:

Hey folks,

I was thinking about this for a while and I've concluded that an in-game replay system, similar to the system PC has, would be excellent for Blitz.

The system that I envisioned is this. WG could add a new menu slot for Replays. The Replays tab has three sub-tabs, "Recent Replays," "Saved Replays," and "Uploaded Replays." The Recent Replays would save the past three battles that you fought. This could be five or one or any other number but three seems reasonable to me. "Saved Replays," you can view your Recent Replays and then select a total of 10 replays to save to your device. You can view any of your recent or saved replays if you want. You can select certain replays to delete. The "Uploaded Replays" is something that I'm not sure how to do... I wanted players to be able to share replays with one another, but since you can't manipulate files on devices the way you can on a computer, I figured you should be able to upload your replays as if on Youtube and, with a link, other players can find the replay, download it, and view it on their device as well. I don't know much about app development so this might not be possible, but if it is, I'm throwing it out there.

Cons:

• Might take up lots of memory space
  • Will require lots of work from the developers to make this sort of thing
  • Could be overly complicated and hard to handle
  • "Uploaded Replays" feature might not be possible

Solutions to Cons:

• Make installation of a replay system optional
  • This doesn't have to be implemented in the next few updates, taking a long time is understandable
  • Make a "Replays Tutorial" and publish a video that shows how the replays system works

Pros:

• You can watch replays and could improve your skills as a result. In the heat of battle your decisions will be different from the tactics that you planned, and watching your replay might help you figure out what mistakes you made etc.
    • Also, you can capture better footage. Maybe your device isn't the best and, when you're playing a match, you're forced to use minimum graphics. But, when you want to watch your replay, since you're not connected online to 13 other players, you can view your replay at better graphics levels without having to worry about how good your connection is!
  • You can share replays with others! Players who used to make video guides have it much easier with replays because the viewers can control the camera and stuff and can see exactly what you do. Players making these tutorials don't have to worry about camera angles or anything, or graphics quality because this can all be controlled through the replay system. Also, a replay system would erase the joystick and buttons on the screen so the viewer can get a full view of what's going on. To make things even better, viewers can be allowed to switch perspectives through the replay system, so for example if the person making the guide is demonstrating sidescraping, the viewer can switch to the perspective of the guy shooting so the viewer can see exactly how much of an angle is best for sidescraping.
  • Reporting malicious activity and bugs would be SOOOOO much easier. You could send your replay in to Support instead of having to take screenshots. This would help Support make better decisions, the evidence is very clear and undeniable, and players don't have to consciously think about having to pause to take screenshots of chat and stuff.

Pretty good idea, huh? Please vote in the poll above. Anyone who is experienced in app development, would the "Upload Replays" system that I described work out without having to jailbreak or anything like that?

~

Silevern

You did it, Dad.

Good players forget the names of tanks and maps.

Also, was in [PRAMO] for ~2 hrs and platooned with Mike!

oRgAsM

HumanCoookie #15 Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:31 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 13373 battles
  • [TJSUX]

View PostSilverBack68, on 07 June 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

Has anyone successfully shared a video with another player?  I send things to players by email or messenger but they are not able to view the video.

Thanks for any help.

Use google drive. Download it and login in to a gmail account. In game click share then upload to google drive. Once in drive click the option for a shareable link. Or alternatively you can use Discord. Upload to discord then make sure you have in app browser off then open link and open in WoTB to view replay. Sadly, to share on Discord means that the other person would need discord, as well. 

Good players forget the names of tanks and maps.

Also, was in [PRAMO] for ~2 hrs and platooned with Mike!

oRgAsM

Also tagged with Silevern

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users