Removing General Chat

• Please log in to reply
474 replies to this topic

Foo4Boo #321 Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:53 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9296 battles
  • [WINDX]
I think General chit chat is protected by the first amendment. 

">http://www.blitzstar.../1017104969.png

Very Amazing Gamers North America

al22511 #322 Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:22 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 19195 battles
  • [RUS]

View PostCC_Sly, on 27 January 2016 - 07:08 PM, said:

Hey Tankers.

Toxicity has been an issue in all multiplayer games with the ability to communicate freely. We understand that Blitz is no exception to the rule and we aim to create an environment that fosters positive experience and not toxicity. In order to help move us towards that goal we are constantly looking at the data and listening to your feedback. A constant in both cases has been that General Chat is a source of toxicity and negative experiences. After discussions with the entire team, it was determined that NA would switch off General Chat when update 2.6 is deployed. 

We had several issues with General Chat:

• The space was hard to maintain and moderate effectively
  • It generated a lot of customer service reports
  • Some of our tools to moderate General Chat were not stable
  • The toxicity that the space produced was far higher than the positive contributions coming from it
  • A lot of the discussion that was happening in the space was, frankly, awful 

Ultimately this lead to the decision to turn it off. Fear not, for both Clan Chat and Private Messages are still going to be available. We still want you to be able to interact with one another in the game. 

We appreciate your understanding in this decision and hope this helps us create a better environment and experience for you guys! 

This looks a lot like the move to restrict the Internet because there is a lot of awful content there. 

There is however, also some good that will be removed with the changes, but nobody seems to care. 

If GC gets shut down, how will teammates call everyone to flank? How will they communicate with the limited preset chat commands? Nobody will assume command or give direction anymore. The game is already limited to the max. 

CC_Sly #323 Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:29 PM

Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 2721 battles
  • [WGA]

View Postal22511, on 05 February 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

This looks a lot like the move to restrict the Internet because there is a lot of awful content there. 

There is however, also some good that will be removed with the changes, but nobody seems to care. 

If GC gets shut down, how will teammates call everyone to flank? How will they communicate with the limited preset chat commands? Nobody will assume command or give direction anymore. The game is already limited to the max. 

View PostCC_Sly, on 04 February 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

Heya! 

So, what you are referring to is the in game chat system. That will not be changing you will still be able to ping and speak while in a match! 

General Chat is found when you are sitting in your garage, open up the chat function, and scroll down to the bottom of your contacts list. It is sort of a server wide lobby for people to speak in while not in battle.

Hope that helps clear up some confusion!

Please read the WoT Blitz Game and Forum rules.

Forum Rules - EULA TOS

Find us on Facebook & Twitter!

pikkdogg #324 Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:34 PM

Private

• Players
  • 21119 battles
  • [DOG]
I actually quit playing tier IX because of all the whiners in tier IX and X... where most of it happened. Just got tired of it. I may consider getting an ST-I or an M103 sometime in the near future.

al22511 #325 Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:35 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 19195 battles
  • [RUS]

Oh! Ok! 

Thanks CC_Sly. 

That's different. I don't even go to that chat, it served no purpose imo. 

Edited by al22511, 05 February 2016 - 05:36 PM.

tlouie #326 Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:47 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9603 battles
  • [TAT]

View PostFoo4Boo, on 05 February 2016 - 11:53 AM, said:

I think General chit chat is protected by the first amendment. 

Reread the first amendment, Sport.  It says that the US federal govt shall not pass laws curtailing free speech.  

Where exactly does the first amendment say that a private foreign business cannot curtail free speech?

I'll wait for you to look:

https://www.google.c...first amendment

Edited by tlouie, 05 February 2016 - 05:48 PM.

WalletWarriorKiller #327 Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:02 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 24354 battles
  • [NRA]
I think it is a premature attempt to swaddle peoples feelings..if you dont like what is said then dont go into the chat. I believe there is enough of that going on in the world, why bring it to gaming industry. Unless having a liberal war game was the intention. In that case i find it offensive to have a tank called "BLACK PRINCE" or "HELLCAT" or even "DICKER MAX"..if the world is coming to the outcome of changing things so a few arent butt hurt, then please change these tanks name...from one NON-LIBERAL war game player.
You just got killed by a noob....loser

tlouie #328 Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:04 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9603 battles
  • [TAT]

View Post_WHITE_KNIGHT_, on 05 February 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

I think it is a premature attempt to swaddle peoples feelings..if you dont like what is said then dont go into the chat. I believe there is enough of that going on in the world, why bring it to gaming industry. Unless having a liberal war game was the intention. In that case i find it offensive to have a tank called "BLACK PRINCE" or "HELLCAT" or even "DICKER MAX"..if the world is coming to the outcome of changing things so a few arent butt hurt, then please change these tanks name...from one NON-LIBERAL war game player.

I don't think that liberal or non-liberal has anything to do with WG's business decision to drop General Chat.

I thought conservatives (non-liberals) are against the govt regulating businesses. Are you suggesting that you want the govt to regulate a foreign private business?

So confussed...

Edited by tlouie, 05 February 2016 - 06:10 PM.

Devils_son22 #329 Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 22810 battles
  • [-AFK-]

[content moderated - derogatory insults]
~DiscoRaptor

17thCav_GhostTrp #330 Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:13 PM

Private

• Players
  • 16424 battles
  • [17CAV]

Message incoming :

To: War Game Dev.

Commanding  Officer concurs with decision to halt general commo. (General Chat).

The general behavior of the majority of users of GC brings unwanted negativety to the game

as a whole. Breeding infighting reducing esprit de Corp and general disdain for fellow soldiers.

Hopefully this will bring about some introspective by those who have abused this privilege.

I have tried to bring some first hand knowledge of real armour applied in a hostile environment.

Some historical knowledge about ww2 to those who have asked on GC. Although few and rare

there were some well meaning people on it.

Co. D troop 17th Cav.

Over n out

Mere_Anarchy #331 Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 28388 battles

View Post_WHITE_KNIGHT_, on 05 February 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

I think it is a premature attempt to swaddle peoples feelings..if you dont like what is said then dont go into the chat. 

Swaddle - def. v. To bind (an infant) in swaddling-clothes. (Oxford English Dictionary)

Spoiler

BTW - historical note, anthropologists in the mid-20th century during the height of the Cold War and national character studies believed that the national psychology of Russians as cold, impersonal, and detached, could be traced back to the practice of tightly swaddling them as infants.  Needless to say, this approach has long since been discredited.

However, I suspect you were looking for a different word here?

pikkdogg #332 Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:34 PM

Private

• Players
  • 21119 battles
  • [DOG]

Interesting thing about communication... it can be positive, helping people learn how to play the game. Helping to win the match. Giving good advice to your teammate on what to do next. I remember receiving help when I was the last tank remaining and it ended up as a win because someone helped me. Gonna actually miss general chat in this manner.

On the other hand, communication can be detrimental. I won't let my girls play the game no more. It is KEEPING PEOPLE AWAY FROM THE GAME. I have considered leaving WOT because of it. Only to find that it mostly happens in the upper tiers, so I started playing the lower ones... which I find a lot of fun.

I'd say the WG has provided a realm of which it governs. Just as in sports, they have to put in implications that provide an environment that is conducive to their goals. Thank you WG for taking into consideration the "free speech" that the people have spoken in making 'the right decision'. 

Mere_Anarchy #333 Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 28388 battles

View Postpikkdogg, on 05 February 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

Interesting thing about communication... it can be positive, helping people learn how to play the game. Helping to win the match. Giving good advice to your teammate on what to do next. I remember receiving help when I was the last tank remaining and it ended up as a win because someone helped me. Gonna actually miss general chat in this manner.

On the other hand, communication can be detrimental. I won't let my girls play the game no more. It is KEEPING PEOPLE AWAY FROM THE GAME. I have considered leaving WOT because of it. Only to find that it mostly happens in the upper tiers, so I started playing the lower ones... which I find a lot of fun.

I'd say the WG has provided a realm of which it governs. Just as in sports, they have to put in implications that provide an environment that is conducive to their goals. Thank you WG for taking into consideration the "free speech" that the people have spoken in making 'the right decision'. 

Keep in mind that this isn't the in-game general chat that is being removed.  It is the out of game chat forum that you access through your garage/chat menu bar.  If you haven't been there, you aren't missing anything.

DoctorMcDerp #334 Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:16 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4766 battles
  • [KOSC]
I only used global chat a few times, mainly for getting advice, or once for finding a platoon mate for a KV-2 doom platoon (actually got a pretty good friend out of that one).  Otherwise it was mostly acid, trolls, salt and a whole lot of member between the legs measuring contests.

Foo4Boo #335 Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:43 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9296 battles
  • [WINDX]

I have never seen a bunch so happy to be censored.

Well not really because most of you never even go there. 

PhiliPTran #336 Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:52 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 10596 battles
  • [501ST]
Love that General Chat is being removed. It once was a place where I lurked when the game was in Beta. Then I forgot all about it till now. GJ WG

Edited by PhiliPTran, 05 February 2016 - 07:52 PM.

What? You jealous?

tlouie #337 Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:53 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9603 battles
  • [TAT]

View PostFoo4Boo, on 05 February 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

I have never seen a bunch so happy to be censored.

Well not really because most of you never even go there. 

Why do you think that WG taking away GC is censorship?  If you hate censorship so much, why so you want GC to remain, since it has chat filters and chat Moderators that , y'know, censor.

Edited by tlouie, 05 February 2016 - 08:10 PM.

Goat_Rodeo #338 Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:07 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 11779 battles
  • [III-X]
Post #338. That's a testament to one of the reasons why they're pulling the plug on GC.......... Can't believe this thread is still alive. It's not censorship. It's called triage. There's a part of this game that has been declared non viable. Cut losses and move on, it can't be rescued. That smoking pile of hot carnage in the corner? Put a blanket on it, move on.....

E100, Jg Pz E100, E-50M, Leopard 1, RU-251, Nashorn, Lowe, T110E3, T54, IS-7®, ST1, FV215B, FV215B(183)

...and the M-60!!! YAH BABY!!!

goat_rodeo_leo_eng.jpeg

..Happy go lucky fun sponge, purveyor of fine shennanigans.. 

Jumping feet first into hell isn't your job. Making sure it's crowded when you get there is.

Foo4Boo #339 Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:07 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9296 battles
  • [WINDX]

Painting everyone with the same brush has never worked out. Ever

Just becuse .01 percent does a bad thing don't change the other good 99.99

Now if they said they were removing it becuse they were going to add French and Italian tanks and a ton of epic features, with the saved resources hey censor away.

Was that painful to read?

It was painful to type.

Lol

tlouie #340 Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:10 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9603 battles
  • [TAT]
I love how so many people feel that WG must continue to provide General Chat feature for them.  Entitlement much?  GC is a non-essential part of WotB, akin to some bench seats out on the sidewalk in front of a store.

Sure, you may like hanging out around the bench, but too many people were breaking out into fistfights around the bench.    And egging each other into getting into fistfights.  And worse, y'all would soil the bench like some baby without a diaper.

WG tried to hire Moderators to hose clean the benches, but frankly, y'all soiled the bench faster than they can be cleaned.

In fact, some of you, when caught pinching a loaf on the bench, you had the cheek to cry why should you be punished when there were so many other people who were pinching loaves on the bench?

Indeed.

Good riddance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users