• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Rocket_na #21 Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:49 PM

I Blame Rocket

• Players
  • 17079 battles
  • [SCSC]

View PostThree60Mafia, on 12 February 2016 - 08:39 AM, said:

Your T-62a stats are quite good, to me it seems you just had bad luck at tier X with teams that couldn't tilt the scales. So you either have to try even harder or platoon.

IMO, T62A is one of the few tanks in the game tailored for the new meta. 

I've resorted to it in Tier X if soloing.

Fast enough to relocate. Vicious dpm. And most critical, can camp in a hulldown spot and fight off the masses. 

Btw- The new Meta. High concentration of stupid. Add more stupid. Then pour in hot garbage. Throw mixture in dumpster, add gas and light.

Oronson, good topic. +1.

Edited by R0CKET, 15 February 2016 - 02:50 PM.

Colonel_Sanders1 #22 Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:33 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8743 battles

View PostCalmSeasQuest, on 15 February 2016 - 02:38 PM, said:

I couldn't disagree more. There are MANY great players that spent lots of time here in the forums providing support (i.e. the content in this very thread) and educational tooning. Look no further then GRIMs Adopt A Reaper thread. 

It was really meant as a joke.  I have also played with kind unicums and gotten advice from them.
Oh no

PRIMO412 #23 Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:11 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 27055 battles
  • [-DD-]

when you flank, don't attack rear. Too easy for enemy to turn and focus on you. What you thought We're going to be the rear of red tanks , turns out to be howitzers.

Take a position on the side of the point of attack. You have triangulation and the ability to get back to your lines. So many matches you will find yourself doing this manuver 3-4 times. 

staying within range of your big guns, scout and provide flank security. When I do this I do well, when I rely on the tanks abilities I die a lot (44%).

glass2707 #24 Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:10 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30004 battles
  • [GRIM]
Not sure about some of the advise here.  Hanging back and damage farming?  Those seem to be attempted techniques of the 40% WR players I get on my team.  Camping their top tier heavy with the TDs and sniping.  

PRIMO412 #25 Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:51 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 27055 battles
  • [-DD-]
One style of play will get you high stats yet will not beat competent opponents. A platoon partner is a must do the heavy lifting.

Edited by DeadNinjaStorage, 15 February 2016 - 07:52 PM.

Sorimka #26 Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:41 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19606 battles
  • [III-P]
So I agree, in general, with everyone's comments so far.  The only thing that I'd add, that I completely disagree with, is the link you referenced in your initial post.  I would *NOT* suggest learning the ropes in Tier X.  Or Tier IX.  Those tiers are so punishing, that even 1 mistake can send you back to the garage.  That isn't doing you any good, and definitely isn't doing your team any good.  I think of it as this - what Tier gives you the most significant opportunities to learn and improve?  Of course, you could argue that Tier X and IX is where the best people play (in theory), so you could learn from them.  But the number of chances to truly learn from your mistakes is 1-3 before heading back to the garage. In the process, you're racking up losses.  I wouldn't suggest really lower tiers either since the amount of unskilled players is brutally low.  I personally think Tier VI - VIII are the best training grounds for Heavies/Meds/Tds/Lights.  If you can get to a point where you feel like you're sealclubbing in Tier VIII, then I'd say you have a very good grasp of strategy fundamentals and overall map awareness.

OronSonon #27 Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:30 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 11413 battles

View PostSorimka, on 15 February 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

So I agree, in general, with everyone's comments so far.  The only thing that I'd add, that I completely disagree with, is the link you referenced in your initial post.  I would *NOT* suggest learning the ropes in Tier X.  Or Tier IX.  Those tiers are so punishing, that even 1 mistake can send you back to the garage.  That isn't doing you any good, and definitely isn't doing your team any good.  I think of it as this - what Tier gives you the most significant opportunities to learn and improve?  Of course, you could argue that Tier X and IX is where the best people play (in theory), so you could learn from them.  But the number of chances to truly learn from your mistakes is 1-3 before heading back to the garage. In the process, you're racking up losses.  I wouldn't suggest really lower tiers either since the amount of unskilled players is brutally low.  I personally think Tier VI - VIII are the best training grounds for Heavies/Meds/Tds/Lights.  If you can get to a point where you feel like you're sealclubbing in Tier VIII, then I'd say you have a very good grasp of strategy fundamentals and overall map awareness.

Well, I'm not like completely useless at tier ten, I've managed to win ~56% of the time so idk. Although with the new German lights in the game I haven't really been focusing on improving by playing tier ten so I haven't really been following those instructions. 

Member of [RBLN] Rebellion 

Armor and Mobility: A Guide to Tactics — Part I and Part II

How to Become Unicum: Click Here for Pure Gold

Sorimka #28 Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:40 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19606 battles
  • [III-P]

View PostOronSonon, on 15 February 2016 - 09:30 PM, said:

Well, I'm not like completely useless at tier ten, I've managed to win ~56% of the time so idk. Although with the new German lights in the game I haven't really been focusing on improving by playing tier ten so I haven't really been following those instructions. 

Do you feel like you're learning some skills with the German line, even though they're lower tier?

mike82198 #29 Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:52 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 39645 battles
  • [CRATE]

View Postglass2707, on 15 February 2016 - 02:10 PM, said:

Not sure about some of the advise here.  Hanging back and damage farming?  Those seem to be attempted techniques of the 40% WR players I get on my team.  Camping their top tier heavy with the TDs and sniping.  

Key word bolded. OP is sufficiently skilled to actually succeed at it. His case is rather particular: he's a competent brawler. That works up to tier 9 or so. It doesn't work in tier 10. He needs to learn - from scratch - what is a good level of engagement for him. 

View PostSorimka, on 15 February 2016 - 05:41 PM, said:

This kind of thinking is exactly why some players never actually learn to play tier 10. There are tier 8 sealclubbers who are absolute seals in tier 10. Tier 10 is a different game and you don't learn it by playing IS-6 or by getting carried by your platoonmate. Solo and learn not to fly back into garage early. It might hurt your stats? So what. It will hurt your team (in the short run)? You're not playing this game for their benefit. 

Edited by mike82198, 17 February 2016 - 03:56 AM.

Sethroskull #30 Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:48 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 64015 battles
  • [GLDG]
I read every single word in this thread.  Best thread of advise that I have come across on the forums.  Thanks everyone.  

Tier 10 - E-100, IS-4, IS-7, Obj. 268

Tier 9 - E-75, IS-8, M103, ST-I, Obj. 704, T-54

Full Stats -  http://www.blitzstar...com/sethroskull

tacomeatsauce #31 Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:32 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 43275 battles

The most important part of keeping a fair win rate and your sanity is to mix it up. You don't want to run 20 straight games at tier 10, if the teams aren't running your way abort. This can be hard for some of you ego maniacs out there, but the game is set up for you to lose credits at tier 10. That means losses and gold ammo are a given. So don't take it personally. 

Warm up in the mid tiers, try to get your 2x in your 9 and 10's and get out before you stop peaking. If you lose two in a row in a particular tank stop playing that tank. If you are winning play until you lose and stop. If you are changing armor types warm up at mid tiers and go back to tier 10. If you have been playing mediums all day and want to try some tds you need a warm up at lower tiers. 

Don't let your device get overly heated you will get finger cancer. 

OKAwesome #32 Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 23716 battles
  • [III-S]
I am going to willingly necro this thread because I've noticed a bunch of posts lately asking about advice for high-level play, particularly with the current state of the playerbase.  There is pure gold in here and I would hate for it to be lost.
OKAwesome

illnagas #33 Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:58 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 65603 battles
  • [10_BR]

Block Quote

Be a 100% damage farmer, do not think about your team, or ways to help them.

I get the logic here but if everyone played like this (and they do sometimes) then everyone is sitting in back tying to "play smart".   Someone has to be up front taking a chance.  Farming easy damage isn't skill.  

BobboEvans #34 Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 42223 battles
I started reading this thread and thought.... 'I haven't seen a good thread like this in a year.'  Then I looked at the post dates.  It's a shame that these players (who know so much) have received so much vitriol they've sworn off the forum.

Illnagas - I can tell you that not one of these players does what you have characterized them doing... 'farming easy damage.'  I've been in this game for 2.5 years (with and against them) and I'm still amazed how quickly these players can rack up damage.  I've never seen them doing anything 'easy'.  If it was 'easy', we'd all be doing it...  don't get caught on the words 'farming damage'.  It doesn't mean 'sit in back, do nothing and wait for team to die before playing.'

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

OKAwesome #35 Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:46 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 23716 battles
  • [III-S]

View Postillnagas, on 08 March 2017 - 09:58 AM, said:

I get the logic here but if everyone played like this (and they do sometimes) then everyone is sitting in back tying to "play smart".   Someone has to be up front taking a chance.  Farming easy damage isn't skill.  

Sure.  But there will always be a noob willing to be that guy.  The point is, don't be that guy.  Survive and do the damage and that will edge the game in your team's favor, and/or allow you to win the game when your team has collapsed.
OKAwesome

_Crusader6_ #36 Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:09 PM

Vote Slime Mold

• Players
  • 70569 battles
  • [BDGER]

View Postillnagas, on 08 March 2017 - 09:58 AM, said:

View PostOKAwesome, on 08 March 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

Sure.  But there will always be a noob willing to be that guy.  The point is, don't be that guy.  Survive and do the damage and that will edge the game in your team's favor, and/or allow you to win the game when your team has collapsed.

When you play cautious it is a game of mistakes and attrition.  You are waiting for the reds to err.   

Sometimes you may may need to push certain positions to deny them to red, but every exposure needs to be calculated.  Risk/reward

lighting up the red team is great but not if your going to get focus fired and taken out. 

* note: I often to heed my own advice. 

Edited by __Crusader6__, 08 March 2017 - 04:09 PM.

Tank Hoarder: 424 tanks in Garage:  435/435 Played Tanks Aced

This space for rent until next terrible mechanic ;) 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

1Chimera #37 Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 27209 battles
  • [LACK]

Thank goodness, I hadn't seen this thread before now. Awesome advice all around, time for me to implement it!

Mmmm, I like fishyysss...

Tomio_Hara #38 Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

Monteagle madness

• Players
  • 22699 battles
  • [SR-72]
nice advice, bump

Tomio Hara was the chief of Japanese tank development during the pre war period and WWII

Want to cap base? Read this!

tankcrunch #39 Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:47 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 195 battles
nice advice. bump.

smalljamalkamal #40 Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:13 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 44272 battles
  • [III-C]
Agreed - this might be the best general advice thread I've read. Thanks to the OP and advice-givers, and to OKAwesome for reviving it. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users