Need a Generous Unicum's (Or Any 60%er's) Advice

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Leadf00t #41 Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:34 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8522 battles

I agree with others that Tier X is a different game.

FWIW, I have been playing almost entirely solo in Tier X.  Like the OP, I've struggled a bit with it, but feel I've really improved because of it.  It took about 500 or so games in Tier X for the light to click on, and it still flickers occasionally.  ;)

On a playstyle level, farming damage and playing more passively is simply not in my nature.  I fight being too aggressive.  It's my biggest downfall, statistically.  I just enjoy playing that way, even if I realize it can be counterproductive.   I try to write it of as testing my boundaries.   lol

In Tier X, and playing a lot of mediums lately, I find I need to really identify where the enemy is before doing anything really aggressive.  With all the big alpha in the game, getting spotted and isolated early in the match means almost certain death, so I try to really dial back the aggressiveness early.  Once I know where everyone else is (particularly those big nasty TDs and/or tanks that can flank), and I get a feel for what's going on in the battle, I can decide where I'm most useful and go from there.  As a result, my initial moves, which border on hyper aggressive pushing in lower tiers, become much more passive in Tier X.  Instead of going all the way to the caves in Black Goldville, for example, I might just push the first hull down incline near some hard cover short of it on either side.

Great topic, BTW, and some fabulous responses too.

Edited by Leadf00t, 10 March 2017 - 01:32 AM.

illnagas #42 Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:18 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 63346 battles
  • [10_BR]

View PostOKAwesome, on 08 March 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

Sure.  But there will always be a noob willing to be that guy.  The point is, don't be that guy.  Survive and do the damage and that will edge the game in your team's favor, and/or allow you to win the game when your team has collapsed.

my problem (most of the time) is having way too many teammates that won't be that guy.  they hug the first rock, hill, or bush they encounter.  They push TDs.  They sit in tight groups that are easily surrounded.  Just saying 'survive and do damage' isn't exactly comprehensive advice.  Obviously you want to do damage, but damage is tip of the iceberg in terms of how to play.  That's a small step deeper than saying kills is the most important.  The most important thing is to effect the game.  

BobboEvans #43 Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:04 PM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 42223 battles

View Postillnagas, on 10 March 2017 - 01:18 AM, said:

my problem (most of the time) is having way too many teammates that won't be that guy.  they hug the first rock, hill, or bush they encounter.  They push TDs.  They sit in tight groups that are easily surrounded.  Just saying 'survive and do damage' isn't exactly comprehensive advice.  Obviously you want to do damage, but damage is tip of the iceberg in terms of how to play.  That's a small step deeper than saying kills is the most important.  The most important thing is to effect the game.  

Damage has the MOST impact on any battle.  Can't win without it.  If you are delivering damage... I guarantee you are impacting the game.  Tips on effectively delivering damage while not taking it are really important.  Those teams that sit at spawn and jockey to see who can be 'in the back' are the reason YOUR damage is critical.  You need to be able to make up for their incompetence.  Do you think pushing into a vulnerable spotting position for a team that likes to spawn camp will magically turn those players into unicum damage farmers?... no.  You will just become an early focus fire casualty as the spawn campers watch.  If your saddled with a losing team... might as well try to get as much damage as possible and see if you can pull one out of the had.  You seem stuck on thinking you sit at spawn behind your team.  That's not what anyone said.

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

___ez_e___ #44 Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 63809 battles
  • [GORT]

View Postmike82198, on 16 February 2016 - 10:52 PM, said:

There are tier 8 sealclubbers

Unfortunately as a play for free player I can not sit all day and play tier X due to the credit economics.  

I must play tier 8 an exponential amount of times just to break even and fund a few tier X battles.   

It's extremely frustrating as a play for free player.   

If if I could magically earn premium credits as a free player, then I would play tier X significantly more.  

Those are the dynamics of play for free and has nothing to do with seal clubbing.   What you may perceive as seal clubbing is actually credit grinding for a play for free player.   

Edited by ___ez_e___, 10 March 2017 - 04:25 PM.

worf_cmg #45 Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:38 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 48019 battles
  • [WOFTW]
Oronsonon-  you're on my friend list, so we must have done battle together and I recognized you as a strong player.  I think it's great that you're trying to improve your game, especially at tier X.

I'm not in a position to offer you tactical advice as you are as good or better than me, especially at high tier.  That said, it has been my experience that extremely few people with higher than 60% WR achieved that goal at tier X.  I routinely see some of the best players in the game playing at middle tier battles.   I was a mid 50's player as I was grinding through a few series of tanks.  While I still grind some, most of my games now are spent playing the tanks I enjoy the most.  In the end, it's a game and it should be enjoyable to you.

If you're mostly interested in your win rate, then play your best tanks and platoon with someone as good or better than yourself.  In doing so, you will continue to learn along the way.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users