Lag and Delays (QoS?)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

_stellabug_ #1 Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:27 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6338 battles
  • [XH912]

This issue has not gone away for us with 2.6.

We have not played too many games because we are just seeing too much lag, to the point that by the time I get dropped into my tank, the reds have over-run greens spawn and my tank is already burning...

I hate (and my kids hate) letting the team down, especially if We are the +2 tank that everyone is relying on. (now that +2/-2 is back in Blitz).

We are still trying different settings on our local router, but the difficulty we are having is that we do not have this issue with "bigger" (more internet hungry) games, just with Blitz.

(Our ISP is giving us no help on this because of that very point)

Half Good news is Just this week the local IT guy has sourced a half decent all-in-one ADSL-modem + Voip capable + router + (Dual Band) wireless-AP - that wont cost me a weeks salary...

Now I just need to buy the wife some bling...

SB>

The British have a proverb: "Dont count your chickens until the watched pot boils..."  hmm, that still makes some sort of twisted sense...   a dash more scotch in the tea...

Dont lose track of your team - LOOK at MINIMAP Often (while Reloading for example)

Tanka1949 #2 Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:48 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4795 battles
  • [WAR1]
+2-2 is not back yet..

acrisis #3 Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:53 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20320 battles
  • [III-X]

Right, -1+1 is extended for a month, but his point remains the same; which is that continues to struggle with ping issues and is unable to play well. 

Personally speaking. I ditched my all-in-one from my ISP, as soon as I could and split everything up. Downside more complexity. Upside oodles of options and I'm not stuck with that carp ISP box. It typically works a treat, but then there was last night, with my ping fluctuating pretty hard between 40 - 80 - 120 and I struggled a bit because of it. 

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

Got lag issues ?  >> Pingplotter thread  << 
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training  | Mentor

tlouie #4 Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:00 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9642 battles
  • [TAT]

View Post_stellabug_, on 19 February 2016 - 02:27 AM, said:

Half Good news is Just this week the local IT guy has sourced a half decent all-in-one ADSL-modem + Voip capable + router + (Dual Band) wireless-AP - that wont cost me a weeks salary...

Now I just need to buy the wife some bling...

SB>

Oh, you on DSL.  Do you use DSL filters at every phone jack, or do you have a splitter that separates Data from voice?

Cause those DSL filters are pretty crummy and can cause bad connection quality when they die.

Edited by tlouie, 19 February 2016 - 03:01 PM.

Kikoscttkr #5 Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:16 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6112 battles
  • [75TH]

Absolutely unplayable lag and delay from noon till evening.....total garbage.

Soo tired of the excuses....increase the server capacity already.

Fix the compatability issues before you field updates....your beta testing is a joke.

WG...validating my opinion on Eastern European standards of customer service...constantly.

reluctanttheist #6 Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:49 AM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 24448 battles
  • [III-H]

View PostKikoscttkr, on 19 February 2016 - 04:16 PM, said:

Absolutely unplayable lag and delay from noon till evening.....total garbage.

Soo tired of the excuses....increase the server capacity already.

Fix the compatability issues before you field updates....your beta testing is a joke.

WG...validating my opinion on Eastern European standards of customer service...constantly.

Riiiiight.  So WG's servers have probably several times over the capacity to handle the current player base, and I'm in Canada with 80 ping in the backwaters of British Columbia.

Sorry, the problem is all yours.  You need help with your router - and possibly your modem, or you live somewhere your bandwidth is being shared so much there's nothing left for you.  A few of us have been trying to help out the OP with his router issues, and in so many cases the problem is with the ISP connections (line breaks) or the ISP-supplied router being incapable of getting traffic to/from your device at the speed necessary to play this game well.

You're probably on Android, and if you really want to be be done with hardware-related issues, use iOS.

Edited by reluctanttheist, 20 February 2016 - 12:52 AM.

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

Kikoscttkr #7 Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:30 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6112 battles
  • [75TH]

View Postreluctanttheist, on 19 February 2016 - 04:49 PM, said:

Riiiiight.  So WG's servers have probably several times over the capacity to handle the current player base, and I'm in Canada with 80 ping in the backwaters of British Columbia.

Sorry, the problem is all yours.  You need help with your router - and possibly your modem, or you live somewhere your bandwidth is being shared so much there's nothing left for you.  A few of us have been trying to help out the OP with his router issues, and in so many cases the problem is with the ISP connections (line breaks) or the ISP-supplied router being incapable of getting traffic to/from your device at the speed necessary to play this game well.

You're probably on Android, and if you really want to be be done with hardware-related issues, use iOS.

Yeah riiiiight back.

Android issues are the player's problem? How about don't offer your product if you have issues or at least beta it properly.

I'd accept the router/bandwith/modem issue except I use cable, troubleshoot constantly, live in Vegas where it isn't a  "backwater" and none of my other games have any problems.

Oh and the problems seems to occur...WHEN THERE'S A LOT OF PEOPLE ON WOTB.

In any case unless you work for WG ( which makes you a shill...or maybe you should...I applaud your love of the game and loyalty but you don't have to defend WG, WG can defend itself)...I'm venting on WG....it is the right place in the forum for it.

Edited by Kikoscttkr, 20 February 2016 - 09:35 AM.

reluctanttheist #8 Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:15 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 24448 battles
  • [III-H]

Android is entirely at your risk.  Your connection problems are yours alone.  If you think WG is responsible for your connection issues and every single Android device under the sun, then may I quote the Princess Bride:

Get used to disappointment.

There are tips around the forums on dealing with ping problems: I have one showing you how to use better firmware on your router to reduce ping - possibly significantly.  Good luck!

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

Kikoscttkr #9 Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:38 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6112 battles
  • [75TH]

I have had tickets and followed every suggestion from WG and forumers.

It has been extremely helpful  and no longer see lags and ping spikes when the player population is slow.

However during peak times....the game is so erratic its garbage.

Also tracked all kinds of threads...WG basically admits it's from their end...they however claim that they don't know what causes it.

I find it extremely suspicious that extreme ping spikes and lags coincides with heavy activity/ players online.......

Ergo it is server capacity...

C'mon WG you are making so much money that the majority stockholder was just announced to be worth a Billion literally...how about some chump change for some decent betas and extra server capacity...

tlouie #10 Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:51 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9642 battles
  • [TAT]

View PostKikoscttkr, on 26 February 2016 - 08:38 PM, said:

I have had tickets and followed every suggestion from WG and forumers.

It has been extremely helpful  and no longer see lags and ping spikes when the player population is slow.

However during peak times....the game is so erratic its garbage.

Also tracked all kinds of threads...WG basically admits it's from their end...they however claim that they don't know what causes it.

I find it extremely suspicious that extreme ping spikes and lags coincides with heavy activity/ players online.......

Ergo it is server capacity...

C'mon WG you are making so much money that the majority stockholder was just announced to be worth a Billion literally...how about some chump change for some decent betas and extra server capacity...

I see it too. Once server population goes above 12,000 ,  game play gets jerky, despite good ping and FPS.

___DEAN #11 Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:04 PM

~=(C/A=|Republic=~

• Players
  • 25697 battles
  • [-DD-]
I have had more issues with occasional lag lately, in particular in my shots. Its isn't unplayable, but frustrating. I have very fast internet, and am pretty sure its server side, but I am not an IT person so... I havent submitted any tickets because I figure WG will fix the problem sooner or later. If it gets worse I don't think I'll enjoy the game much.

Tanks:

reluctanttheist #12 Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:45 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 24448 battles
  • [III-H]

I've played when it's 15000 players and haven't had any problems - but I'm guessing that my traffic gets to WG without going through any logjams: the same may not be the case for many of you, where your traffic gets caught up in a bottleneck between you and the server.  Our WG mods say they're not running anywhere near capacity - but there may still be unknown problems either with WG or somewhere in between that WG could possibly fix.  Some of our Triarii guys are networking gurus and they say that they can't play sometimes because their neighbourhood is the logjam, and that's nothing WG can fix.

The OP and I have been going back and forth in PMs about his problems and he's got a new router which is helping him overcome this issue.  But do see my thread on using QoS and DD-WRT.  And this thread for a cheap but good multi-CPU router that will run Blitz really well.

Edited by reluctanttheist, 29 February 2016 - 04:50 PM.

reluctanttheist #13 Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:58 AM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 24448 battles
  • [III-H]

One of our Triarii guys is pursuing a potential problem with west coast routing delays (though I'm west coast of Canada and can't report any problems).

Stay tuned.

_stellabug_ #14 Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:50 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6338 battles
  • [XH912]

We are slowly eliminating every potential local problem as we identify them,

the new router has some new management tools, we still have to do some legwork, they are not brilliant tools, but still, we identified a couple of chatty devices that we have either blocked from our internet, or severely restricted their bandwidth.

We have dedicated 15% of total bandwidth (up/down) to each of the 4 devices that blitz, we have also put them into their very own channel. (5g)

(that is 150kbps up and 1100kpbs down for each of those devices)

all other devices in the house are on the 2.4g, (have less than 10% each bandwidth allocated)  - and to assist with the diagnosis nothing is on the wired lan - so nothing can cheat.

Yesterday we turned off notifications on every app on every device and started to see a reduction in lag incidents - not eliminated, and maybe a coincidence - time will tell.

AFTER seeing that small difference with the notifications - Today we "turned off" camo on one of the androids and the ipad, and those devices appear to have less problems with lag,

(WAY too early to say - maybe another coincidence, it is hard to judge with the dropouts (see below), and maybe the extra workload is overloading the processor of the device itself! (Archos 80b))

We have a current ISP problem, where the local internet is dropping out  - there are both a burst water main and a burst gas main within a 2 mile radius, so hopefully that issue will go when the mains are fixed.

Will keep you advised as we progress.

SB>dad

The British have a proverb: "Dont count your chickens until the watched pot boils..."  hmm, that still makes some sort of twisted sense...   a dash more scotch in the tea...

Dont lose track of your team - LOOK at MINIMAP Often (while Reloading for example)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users