[Guide] Comprehensive Guide to Crossfiring

crossfiring win guide focus firing clan wars platoon potato power

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Future of Guides (29 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 5 battles in order to participate this poll.

Do you want to see future guides, published by myself?

1. Yes. (26 votes [89.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 89.66%

2. Yes, provided [insert change mentioned in comments] happens. (3 votes [10.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

Vote Hide poll

razernaga2014 #1 Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:48 PM

I drink and I know things.

• Players
  • 11873 battles
  • [S-AA]

The Theory of The Crossfire

The crossfire is a tactic often unseen in World of Tanks Blitz, yet is crucial for a coordinated team’s victory.  While varied locations of the green team is likely due to poor knowledge of maps, crossfiring isn’t simply spreading out a team.  I’ll explain more later.  Anyway, when an alert player recognizes a crossfire/poor position, they act in due process.  The key point here is ‘good player’.  The average player of blitz is rather bad (48% win-rate).  They will make bad decisions, do dumb tactics, et cetera.  These players are unlikely to recognize a crossfire and counter it/fall back accordingly.  I can’t say that they will die with terror on their faces, mainly because they have no idea what is happening.  How about just assume they are scared?

Fortunately for said noobs, crossfires don’t occur often.  They are rare, or more commonly, poorly executed because the average player, as I said, is pretty bad.  Pubbies are unlikely to apply this tactic well.  This tactic will likely only work to its potential with you and a platoon mate.  

“I only run solo” or “I rarely platoon.”  Okay, I’m not here to criticize how you play.  If you prefer to run solo, then do as you please.  But how will you bring the essential crossfire to your team?  You don’t have a mate to assist you with carrying your pubbie team, rather you must work with a unaware teammate.  Usually, their ‘duels’ will consist of shot-trading.  How about instead of being 10 meters to their left, go to a location that will create a crossfire without communication with your teammate.  Spread out.  This isn’t as effective as a platoon, but it still creates a crossfire, which is much better than the lack thereof.

Well, if only 2 players can do a crossfire successfully, why did you write a guide?”  Seeing as clan wars are probably in the not to distant future, with training rooms likely to be sooner, I thought that a guide on an essential strategy to teamwork should be published so everyone can at least gain a few basic ‘team’ tactics for their clan’s hopeful success.  Most good players likely know what I’m talking about, and you see many of them do it regularly.  

We all see those people on Castilla near the capture zone, and behind the rocks on Black Goldville.  Those players are generally on the higher end of the skill level, because they realize, whether through knowledge or instinct, that the spot creates a crossfire that harasses the enemy team and creates opportunities for their team to succeed.  Plus slaughtering pubbies’ sides is quite fun.

Sorry for that text wall.  We all need a little reading anyway.  You’re welcome.

Dictionary

Active Crossfire- A crossfire in which all involved allied tanks are firing at an enemy(s)

Baiting- trying to get an enemy tank to charge a low health/low tier (any tank really) and expose his side/back to the rest of the team.  See passive crossfire.

Crossfire- the practice of spreading out tanks to combat an enemy, forcing turret-turning and increasing chances of a weak-spot appearing.

Crossfiring off a teammate- Using a teammate as a part of the crossfire.  Usually the said player is a pubbie and will simply shoot at the enemy.  Attack that enemy from a different location to create a crossfire.

Engagement- small conflict not necessarily involving the entirety of both teams.

Focus-firing (ff)- the practice of a team focusing out an important tank, or a skilled player.  See link below.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/310149-lerts-guide-to-focus-firing-or-how-to-help-your-team-win-the-battle/

Passive Crossfire- One or more (latter not recommended) tanks that refrain from firing in a crossfire, and act as bait for an enemy (possibly low health or bottom tier) as to expose that such enemy to other teammate’s guns.

RPM- rounds per minute.

Sidescraping- angling off a building/rock/whatever is convenient as to bait the enemy into bouncing your angled side.  See below.

http://forum.wotblitz.com/index.php?/topic/2310-beginners-guide-to-side-scraping/

---!!!Please Note!!!---

• I suggest platooning with a competent mate for complete effectiveness.  Hopefully they will have read this or understand it already.  Two tanks crossfiring is better than one tank shooting or one tank crossfiring off a teammate.
  • An underline under something like tank A, or tank 3 implies to look at the correlated image for reference.
  • If you have any questions, please ask on the comments, I will try to respond with what I know.

Spacing

The key to a successful crossfire is the spacing between friendly tanks.  Tell me, which is better, photo A, or photo B?

Photo A-

Photo B-

I would say B, don’t you?  The red tank has to turn his tank/turret more to switch between the green targets, who can wait for the red tank to look the other way, pop out, and shoot.  With image A, the enemy can more easily manage the situation because his turret has to turn less to counter both enemies.

The more spread out a team is that is engaging in a crossfire, the more likely a shot will penetrate.  See the photos below.

Spoiler

Notice how tank B has side shots on the red tank?  Tank A doesn’t necessarily need to be out in the open, it can be behind a rock/building/whatever.  What if the red tank turns to attack tank B, like below?

Spoiler

Well, now tank A has side shots on the red tank!  But what if the enemy tank tries to play it ‘smart’ and turn his turret and not his hull, like so…

Spoiler

Actually, this is an incredibly bad move!  Now, both tanks can see weak spots.  Tank A has the turret side to shoot at, and tank B has the side of the red tank. This means your crossfire is likely to be incredibly effective! 

Assuming all tanks pictured above fire 7 rpm, the green tanks will take 7 rpm, while the red tank will receive 14 rpm!  More damage is going into the red team.  This brings up an important point, which will be discussed in the next section.

TL;DR- Space out your tanks for a more effective crossfire.

Numbers Advantage

This section is quick and simple.  Honestly, it’s rather logical.  More tanks crossfiring > less tanks crossfiring.  See the images, A and B.  Which is the best crossfire?

Image A-

Image B-

I would say image B has the best green crossfire. For explanation purposes, we'll say each tank has 7 rpm. That would mean that the green tanks are putting 21 rpm while the red tanks are… wait!  Look at that!  Red 1 & red 2 are setting a crossfire on green A!  Green A takes 14 rpm, while red 2 takes none!  This is in essence a one for one trade because of crossfiring. While 1 for 1s aren't great, the theory of a crossfire is shown well here.  What can green do now?

Spoiler

Now green B & green C have a crossfire on red 2.  Remember how green had three tanks in this engagement, with red only having two?  Green was able to trade effectively because they focus fired in a crossfire and sustained tanks.  More tanks does not necessarily guarantee a engagement victory, but it generally increases the chances of a win.

More tanks in a particular engagement generally implies a quicker small victory.  Three tanks putting out 7 rpm for a total of 21 rpm, does more than two tanks with 7 rpm for a total of 14 rpm.  

TL;DR- More tanks in a crossfire = good.

Crossfiring Off a Teammate

After reading through the guide, I realized I mentioned 'crossfiring off a teammate' in the dictionary, but never discussed it. While some people probably understand what I meant by that, I believe that a section is needed to explain.

This is mainly a tactic for solo players.  Without a regular platoon mate to spread out and create a crossfire, you must create a crossfire by yourself.  But you can't get your team to move to a good position.  So what do you do?  Let's look below.  Assume Green A is your tank, and Green B is one of your teammates.

Spoiler

The position doesn't look bad for the green team.  It's two versus 1.  But what if you are both low health?  What should they do to prevent tank 1 from simply bullying you two?

Spoiler

Your teammate (tank B) isn't likely to move any time soon.  He will continue with his peek-a-boom strategy, trading shots with tank 1.  How about you move to a position like the one [you] are in?  That way, tank 1 is forced to turn his turret more to deal with both of you.  

This is pretty much what crossfiring off a teammate is: using your team to crossfire.  Pretty simple.  

Priority Targets

Some tanks are more perceptible to an effective crossfire.  TDs are almost unanimously weak against a crossfire (there are exceptions), as they have only one traverse value (generally low as well), while normal tanks have two.  But sometimes, a normal tank has low traverse values, even when combined.  Matildas, Mauses, E-100s, etc.  Their slow traverses make a crossfire incredibly effective, as often they can’t handle 2+ tanks at once playing a skilled crossfire. But why target those big slow tanks? Possibly because of their devilish guns. I sure wouldn't like to get hit by a 650-damage E-100 shell. So I get rid of the E-100 so it doesn't happen.

On the other hand, one could argue that a medium should be handled immediately when engaging in a multiple-enemy crossfire.  They can move their turret the fastest and deal with many targets better than the others.  I personally believe that TDs and heavies should be taken out first, but if you (and your platoon mate/team) feel that meds are a priority, then by all means, take them out.

As always, good players should be taken out quickly, as they are likely to be carrying their team.

Another point of notice is a player in a good spot/position  Look below.

Spoiler

I know this image is probably quite confusing.  Hopefully you can understand.

Which tank, from green’s perspective, should be crossfired upon?  I would say red 3.  He is in an advantageous position, and can sidescrape against tank C.  I would recommend red 3 be taken out asap, with red 2 to follow.

What about red’s view?  Admittedly, I didn’t set this image up for red to be in a good spot, but there is crossfiring opportunities everywhere, right?  In this image, not really.  Red is in a generally bad spot, which, while winnable, is mainly going to be individual duels.  Red 2 and red 3 could crossfire green 1, but it would probably leave green C to shoot red 1 or the back of red 2.  Alternatively, red 2 and red 3 could push, with red 1 preventing green A from helping, et cetera…  All up to [you].    

What about this image?

Spoiler

In case you aren’t aware of my magnificent drawing ability, red 2 is a TD.  With that assumption, plus what I said earlier, I would suggest crossfiring red 2 with green B,C, and D.  Slight problem with green B, however.  Assuming red 2 is a good armored TD, like an E3 or Jageru, frontally assaulting it is probably a bad idea.  So what can green B do to contribute? Read on!

TL;DR- Prioritize specific tanks depending on the situation.

Active and Passive Crossfires

This small action that can be seen in a crossfire is actually incredibly common in game.  See image below.

See these two images for active and passive crossfires.

Active Crossfire-

Passive Crossfire-

See how tank A has low health?  Well that’s what those blue bars represent.  Anyway…  This is called a passive crossfire.  Tank A won’t pop out, because it is likely tank 1 will try to kill him.  Tank 1 wants the kill, so he will sit facing tank A.  Tank B and tank C continue shooting tank 1’s sides.  We all know what happens.  We’ve been in this situation, both receiving and dealing.  

Conclusion

Well, if you read through all of that, a big 'thank you' from me.  The guide took a lot of work, and while I'm sure I missed a couple things, I believe that the main points were covered.  If properly applied, this should make you a better player through simply working with your team.  As I mentioned, this is a valuable strategy in Clan Wars, but is irregardless important for success at all tiers in pub matches.  It simply makes stomping puppies easier.  And, in my opinion, more fun. 

If you'd like to have me continue to make similar guides to this, please answer my poll with that opinion.  I did not provide a 'no' category, and instead a 'change it' category- I don't intend to stop making similar guides.  If you are going to select said option, please comment with your opinions.  This is a written guide, and I don't believe shortening it would have the effect I desire, however I will try to make less text walls in the future.  

Good luck, and ohseven. 

I have quit the game for now.  It is no longer what I began playing in 2014, and while change is not inherently bad, it is also not inherently good either.  

How To Crossfire

Former [SPUD] longtime member

Ksftwe #2 Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:05 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 23255 battles
  • [PURPL]

I'm sorry, I had to point this out...the average WR of Blitz players isn't 48% because of skill. It's because of statistics. Every single win earned in this game is corresponded with a loss. For every win, there is a loss. If draws weren't a thing, if you took an average of every single player's WR in the game, you'd get 50%. Exactly 50%. Whether the average is 47% or 48% or 49% just tells you the proportion of draws that have happened.

Totally irrelevant point; good guide, +1.

Tier XObj 268, T-62AT110E3, E 100, T110E5FV4202IS-7FV215bObj 140, Jg Pz E 100M48 PattonE 50 MT110E4Leopard 1T57 HeavyIS-4

~ How Do I Shoot?™ ~

Vsavsa1 #3 Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:17 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7194 battles
Great guide! I personally think crossfiring is the single most effective tactic in blitz. Not only does it allow you to do more damage faster and more easily, it also helps you avoid the enemy's shots simply by looking at his turret; maximizing damage ratio. Is it alright if we take some of your content and add it to the [-BT-] (Basic Training) curriculum guide under the name Pincer Maneuver? All credit would go to you and it would be greatly appreciated since it helps teach new players things like this and improves the overall player base skill level. Thank you for taking the time to write this. +1

Edited by Vsavsa1, 13 March 2016 - 06:18 PM.

Mad Driver. 

Highest Tier: X (E 100)

Lost most of my tanks to Training Rooms. l run a small beer shop in City Life rooms for silver.

razernaga2014 #4 Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:39 PM

• Players
  • 11873 battles
  • [S-AA]

View PostKsftwe, on 13 March 2016 - 01:05 PM, said:

I'm sorry, I had to point this out...the average WR of Blitz players isn't 48% because of skill. It's because of statistics. Every single win earned in this game is corresponded with a loss. For every win, there is a loss. If draws weren't a thing, if you took an average of every single player's WR in the game, you'd get 50%. Exactly 50%. Whether the average is 47% or 48% or 49% just tells you the proportion of draws that have happened.

Totally irrelevant point; good guide, +1.

Understood, I was going more along the lines that most players are bad skill-wise.  I'll see if I can edit to fix this.  Thanks!  

View PostVsavsa1, on 13 March 2016 - 01:17 PM, said:

Great guide! I personally think crossfiring is the single most effective tactic in blitz. Not only does it allow you to do more damage faster and more easily, it also helps you avoid the enemy's shots simply by looking at his turret; maximizing damage ratio. Is it alright if we take some of your content and add it to the [-BT-] (Basic Training) curriculum guide under the name Pincer Maneuver? All credit would go to you and it would be greatly appreciated since it helps teach new players things like this and improves the overall player base skill level. Thank you for taking the time to write this. +1

The guide is intended to help players get better, so if you feel it will help improve people in [-BT-] then by all means include it.  Good luck!

I have quit the game for now.  It is no longer what I began playing in 2014, and while change is not inherently bad, it is also not inherently good either.  

How To Crossfire

junaluska7 #5 Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:14 PM

_persona non grata_

• Players
  • 17219 battles
  • [RDZ10]
+1! Very interesting read. Nice work!

"Face facts with dignity" - (fortune cookie proverb)

junaluska7

ChitFromChinola #6 Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:54 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 42955 battles
  • [-1]

Wow, good guide! Teaches an effective tactic that is not obvious to many players because it requires real teamwork -- the natural tendency in this game is to engage in a series of one on one fights, especially if not platooned.

For a suggestion, if you're trying to teach lower- and mid-skilled players, tIghten up the message in the intro to get across your main point, "If you want to get better, here is a skill that you will want to learn." Seemed like the intro was a bit of a neg on the very audience that you're trying to reach.

Well written, and I liked the drawings -- simple is better.

Edited by ChitFromChinola, 13 March 2016 - 07:55 PM.

SieurPersil #7 Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:10 PM

Knight of the Round Potato

• Players
  • 24062 battles
  • [SPUDX]

Very well written guide On an often forgotten tactic that is very effective. Well done Naga !

I do agree with Chinola. The intro kind of bashes the very people you are trying to educate with this. Maybe use a more detached and positive overview regarding thiswill have a better chance to include your teaching target crowd. 

Good job !

Volunteer Tater Ambassador - Potentate Relationship Manager - Inter Clan Camping Liaison Officer. Knight of the round potato. Information regarding the hamac or our adirondack chairs available. Quote of the moment : "Will focus fire on WriterDude for beer"

razernaga2014 #8 Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:11 PM

• Players
  • 11873 battles
  • [S-AA]

View Postjunaluska7, on 13 March 2016 - 02:14 PM, said:

+1! Very interesting read. Nice work!

Thanks!

View PostChitFromChinola, on 13 March 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

Wow, good guide! Teaches an effective tactic that is not obvious to many players because it requires real teamwork -- the natural tendency in this game is to engage in a series of one on one fights, especially if not platooned.

For a suggestion, if you're trying to teach lower- and mid-skilled players, tIghten up the message in the intro to get across your main point, "If you want to get better, here is a skill that you will want to learn." Seemed like the intro was a bit of a neg on the very audience that you're trying to reach.

Well written, and I liked the drawings -- simple is better.

View PostSieurPersil, on 13 March 2016 - 03:10 PM, said:

Very well written guide On an often forgotten tactic that is very effective. Well done Naga !

I do agree with Chinola. The intro kind of bashes the very people you are trying to educate with this. Maybe use a more detached and positive overview regarding thiswill have a better chance to include your teaching target crowd. 

Good job !

Oh good catch.  I wrote the intro very early on, and never went back to it.  I'll be sure to keep it more kind in future guides, and may change this one's if I get around to it.  Thanks!

How To Crossfire

Prywid #9 Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:48 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7655 battles
  • [III-X]
+1

_Ataraxia_ #10 Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:56 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 25801 battles
  • [PURPL]
+20

VonMiller58 #11 Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:05 PM

Chicken Farmer

• Players
  • 23915 battles
  • [JFGF]

great post OP

Nothing like the confusion and Carnage of a well executed crossfire...Nothing worse than being caught in one

o...:...:I:...:...o

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users