bottom tier mm matchmaker matchmaking unfair

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Rev_ianc_bell #1 Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:45 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30748 battles
  • [PRD]

I'm hearing a lot of complaining about the switch back to the two-tier spread, even though the spread is more even now that the tier-dispersion has been fixed. Most common complaints include a) you cannot "do anything" in bottom tier, especially if you are the only one at that tier on your team. b) you will inevitably die or be left isolated to fight a horde of high-powered enemies. c) the people who like the 2-tier spread are "sealclubbers" who only drive tier X or... some even less rational proposition (ie "you just like beating up on tier 6's in your IS-3 - as if they won't ALSO end up bottom tier in the same portion of their own games)

Regardless I have put together an... unintentionally lengthy video showing my own games. Contrary to the expectations one would get from reading these complaint threads, it was actually fairly difficult to get much material while driving tiers 5-7, I was almost always top tier or middle tier... Despite this setback after several nights of attempting to glean raw footage of such games I had enough to make a TV-show length video of games where I both survive and contribute to the team - even with leaving out some of the matches I wanted to include (it was starting to get too long). These matches are not generally examples of stellar gameplay, merely reasonable contribution. Just use your head: If a skrub such as myself can do this, you can too! 

I would have just made a highlight reel but between work and household obligations I simply don't have enough time to do that much editing. Anyway- without further ado:

Edited by Rev_ianc_bell, 19 March 2016 - 12:59 AM.

Commandant of Predator Corps [PRD] (formerly  [PDR-R])

Check out my youtube channel

My profile at wotbstars, wblitz.net  and blitzstars

PRD/PDR-R Website: http://www.predatorswotbclan.org or visit our recruitment thread or our discussion thread RED IN TOOTH AND CLAW 

tedg5 #2 Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:52 AM

Tater salad

• Players
  • 60278 battles
  • [AGOGO]
Don't know why you are saying tier dispersion is fixed, it is not, look on forum here for many examples. I get a wonky tier dispersion at least every fourth game in high tiers.

Edited by tedg5, 19 March 2016 - 12:53 AM.

Rev_ianc_bell #3 Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:56 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30748 battles
  • [PRD]
Tier dispersion has been tightened. No one ever said the teams would always be perfectly matched. Now the chance for deviation is a lot lower than it used to be... It seems to be well within what I would consider an acceptable margin. Besides which that is tangential to the real debate: Whether being 2 tiers down from top in a game is a hopeless situation.

PRD/PDR-R Website: http://www.predatorswotbclan.org or visit our recruitment thread or our discussion thread RED IN TOOTH AND CLAW 

tedg5 #4 Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:02 AM

Tater salad

• Players
  • 60278 battles
  • [AGOGO]
Well, my point is that 1/1 completely fixed tier dispersion and I favor it just for that. Now on to the 2 tier down situation, it really depends on the exact conditions. Which tank, t44 is pretty ok, others not so much. Which map, are there locations to snipe or otherwise support, fir ex. Hillemsborf is pretty rough. And other aspects.

David_Rish #5 Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:10 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17456 battles
  • [FROZE]
Lol and I am sure most of your crew skills are maxed for pen and all other stats also. Most don't have that luxury as there is just beginning.

Ausf_G #6 Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:13 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 55848 battles
  • [ALIAS]
It takes more skill for +2-2 which a great majority don't have. I took some flack on a post I posted but I also took from that flack some great advice. Regardless of that +2-2 is good for skilled players but the majority have minimal skill and don't yet grasp the live longer carry harder concept and for me I end up being the last alive to battle  usually 3-1  The mm is ok and may never be completely equal. I rather be the low or middle tier and support then be the high tier and have to try to carry the whole team. There will always be the less skilled and this is a dead issue in my eyes. 
https://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/Ausf_G

Hope I dont catch a ban for this post.

Rev_ianc_bell #7 Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:19 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30748 battles
  • [PRD]

View Posttedg5, on 18 March 2016 - 08:02 PM, said:

Well, my point is that 1/1 completely fixed tier dispersion and I favor it just for that. Now on to the 2 tier down situation, it really depends on the exact conditions. Which tank, t44 is pretty ok, others not so much. Which map, are there locations to snipe or otherwise support, fir ex. Hillemsborf is pretty rough. And other aspects.

This is basically making the point that I and others in favour of the two-tier spread make: It forces you to adapt your playstyle if you want to succeed. It means that map knowledge and understanding your tank's attributes are important. If a person is losing more than %50 of their bottom-tier games the common factor is THEM. The 1-tier spread continues the trend of debasing the overall playing skills of the general population- the favourite forum complaint before the mm experiment started.

View PostDirty_Rabbit, on 18 March 2016 - 08:10 PM, said:

Lol and I am sure most of your crew skills are maxed for pen and all other stats also. Most don't have that luxury as there is just beginning.

Yes. Save up cash and free xp before you drive a new tank. Always at least train to %75 right away. Use your free xp to burn through all the modules you can before driving it. Look it up on wiki.wargaming.net before mounting equipment. DO NOT GO INTO BATTLE WITHOUT A FULL LOAD OF (recommended) EQUIPMENT, CONSUMABLES AND AN APPROPRIATE AMOUNT OF PREMIUM AMMO.

thetastypie #8 Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:42 AM

Blueberry Flavored

• Players
  • 20345 battles
  • [IMPR]

View PostDirty_Rabbit, on 18 March 2016 - 07:10 PM, said:

I'm pretty confused what you mean here, if you mean the actual crew skill them that only gives a 6% chance of doing higher pen when max. That means out of 100 shots, 6 get a boost in pen and very rarely will you actually see this in game.

Tanks I like: T-43, T34(premium),  Ru-251, Panther M/10, Is-3 Defender

Tanks I want: T-30  Is 4 

Officer of the clan Imperium 

Rev_ianc_bell #9 Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:48 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30748 battles
  • [PRD]

View Postthetastypie, on 18 March 2016 - 08:42 PM, said:

I'm pretty confused what you mean here, if you mean the actual crew skill them that only gives a 6% chance of doing higher pen when max. That means out of 100 shots, 6 get a boost in pen and very rarely will you actually see this in game.

It did kind of look like they were conflating in-tank skill level and the bonus crew skills. My bonus crew skills are not "all maxed" - just a few of them.

_warL0rd_ #10 Posted 19 March 2016 - 02:32 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 45151 battles

pfffft

a  more appropriate title for this video would be something more along the lines of "When the potatoes are on the other side" 

nice job of cherrypicking clips of you winning games when your top tier team mates are actually doing things like driving their tanks and firing at the enemy, and not drowning themselves or wandering off into the sunset.

Edited by _warL0rd_, 19 March 2016 - 02:55 AM.

Rev_ianc_bell #11 Posted 19 March 2016 - 03:04 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30748 battles
  • [PRD]

View Post_warL0rd_, on 18 March 2016 - 09:32 PM, said:

pfffft

a  more appropriate title for this video would be something more along the lines of "When the potatoes are on the other side" 

nice job of cherrypicking clips of you winning games when your top tier team mates are actually doing things like driving their tanks and firing at the enemy, and not drowning themselves or wandering off into the sunset.

oh and camping in a bush in your T29 while your team mates do the work doesnt take skill btw

How nice... "unfare plane. He kemp bush"

Where in the world did you get the idea I was trying to address the issues of "when your team collapses" - that happens all the time and if it does it doesn't much matter if you are top tier or bottom. If you read the description of what I was doing I point out that these are not intended as a depiction of great gameplay but rather how a bottom tier tank is capable of contributing to the team and also surviving.  

So keeping that in mind I did not include playback of me making terrible mistakes and being quickly terminated. I didn't include games where my team is rapidly steamrolled (usually these two items are the same- perhaps there is a connection). I didn't include games where I made a valuable contribution and died halfway through the match... That would involve a lot more editing without contributing much to an already long string of examples.

Hanging back and putting a lot of shots into the enemy is a great thing to do in a bottom tier heavy with a good gun. Maybe you would do better in your bottom tier matches if you tried that once in a while.

Sooooo.... Not really sure what the point of your post is other than to be snarky.

Edited by Rev_ianc_bell, 19 March 2016 - 04:21 PM.

BoomMfer #12 Posted 19 March 2016 - 03:11 PM

This space for rent

• Players
  • 75394 battles
  • [BRSKT]
Good video man! 

Rev_ianc_bell #13 Posted 19 March 2016 - 04:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30748 battles
  • [PRD]

View PostBoomMfer, on 19 March 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

Good video man! 

​Thanks! Hope you liked the soundtrack 

p30_1 #14 Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:29 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 36029 battles
  • [OI1ST]
Cry less play harder

Chavalitos_De_Guerra #15 Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:54 PM

First Sergeant

• Banned
  • 11542 battles
  • [NCPD]
This is a perfect example of buy a IS-6 or Type 59 and just play Tier 9 and 10. It will stay the same as the +1-1 mm

My YouTube Channel

Favorite Tanks: Obj.140Kenny Otsu - IS-6

Most Hated Tanks: Doom Turtle - Death Star - Type 59

Rev_ianc_bell #16 Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:30 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30748 battles
  • [PRD]

View PostTheFluffyPinkDuck, on 20 March 2016 - 09:54 AM, said:

This is a perfect example of buy a IS-6 or Type 59 and just play Tier 9 and 10. It will stay the same as the +1-1 mm

YOU CLEARLY DIDN'T WATCH THE VIDEO. 

OR EVEN READ THE OP.

Edited by Rev_ianc_bell, 24 March 2016 - 10:30 PM.

zerquetch #17 Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:05 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 17400 battles
  • [FOAD]
If ur low tier, just stay healthy till near the end and prammo the low hp red's.
So this baby seal walks into a club...

Also tagged with bottom tier, mm, matchmaker, matchmaking, unfair

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users