tree bush camo camouflage spotting view view range sniping

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

bg2b #1 Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:35 AM

M4 Lifestyle

• Players
  • 21070 battles
  • [SPUD]

Another test, this time to check whether trees act like bushes as far as camo goes.  The summary: YES, they do.

The stream with test is here.  Testing starts at around the 2:50 mark in the stream.  Method:

1. I sit still beside a tree and my friend drives towards me until he spots me

2. I knock over the tree and hide in it

3. Friend says that I'm no longer visible, drives forward again until he spots me

My minimap at the position where I'm first spotted before (tree standing):

minimap

My minimap showing where I'm first spotted while hiding in the fallen tree:

minimap

Zip_Zip #2 Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:45 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 43386 battles
  • [SPUDX]
Nice, love it. Actual evidence. Finally. Thank you sir.

Always remember, wherever you go, there you are...

164 tanks mastered // Have tanks, will battle // Click here for my youtube channel 

christian1470 #3 Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:36 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 39218 battles
I religiously knocked down trees up until a few months ago, when one of the admins said that trees do not count as concealment. I will now resume religiously knocking down trees again. 

acrisis #4 Posted 04 May 2016 - 11:40 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20542 battles
  • [III-C]

Thank you!

This was on my to do list! (but was to busy jumping and running about)

The video was a bit long, but confirms it quite nicely.  I used to knock trees down as a newbie, but then was told here it didn't work and there was that outdated wg video ...

Now we need more trees ... unfair plain kemp bush :izmena:

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

Got lag issues ?  >> Pingplotter thread  << 
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training  | Mentor

Gib_Savages #5 Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:15 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 27924 battles

bg2b Nye the science guy. bg2b! bg2b! bg2b!

Thanks for running your experiments. I remember someone from WG confirming that knocked down trees offer 50% of the camo value of existing bushes. Need to find a spot with a bush and a tree directly beside each other to test.

Violence_Speed_Momentum #6 Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:19 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 62998 battles
  • [III]
Something else that downed trees do is conceal your hit map. So all the enemy WILL see is the red outline of your tank, forcing them to recall from memory where they need to shoot you to actually have a chance at penning.
Win, lose, or draw - I'm gonna make it hurt.

spalling_apart #7 Posted 04 May 2016 - 01:05 PM

Oops, I spalled

• Players
  • 33020 battles
  • [III]

View Postbg2b, on 04 May 2016 - 05:35 AM, said:

Another test, this time to check whether trees act like bushes as far as camo goes.  The summary: YES, they do.

The stream with test is here.  Testing starts at around the 2:50 mark in the stream.  Method:

1. I sit still beside a tree and my friend drives towards me until he spots me

2. I knock over the tree and hide in it

3. Friend says that I'm no longer visible, drives forward again until he spots me

My minimap at the position where I'm first spotted before (tree standing):

minimap

My minimap showing where I'm first spotted while hiding in the fallen tree:

minimap

Confirmed this today with acrisis. Him in Type 62, me in RU. Both invisible inside of 1 square behind bush (translucent not opaque) and downed trees. On middleburg, knocked down the trees on the two spotting mounds near the center top...invisible until tank passed the opposite position on ground. It was maybe 1/2 grid...almost proximity spotted. Reset ranged 6-8 secs for us

Praeceladon #8 Posted 04 May 2016 - 01:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19234 battles
I could have told you that months ago [edited]. That's why on falls creek I always knock down all the trees in front of the bridge on the side with the house. There's a hill back behind the redline and there's about three trees between the little hill and the bridge. Easy spot to hold bridge from.

acrisis #9 Posted 04 May 2016 - 01:43 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20542 battles
  • [III-C]

View Postspalling_apart, on 04 May 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

Confirmed this today with acrisis. Him in Type 62, me in RU. Both invisible inside of 1 square behind bush (translucent not opaque) and downed trees. On middleburg, knocked down the trees on the two spotting mounds near the center top...invisible until tank passed the opposite position on ground. It was maybe 1/2 grid...almost proximity spotted. Reset ranged 6-8 secs for us

Confirming as well :)

Was a great little edu session, on those various maps, 07 :)

Edited by acrisis, 04 May 2016 - 01:44 PM.

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

Got lag issues ?  >> Pingplotter thread  << 
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training  | Mentor

ahredstealth #10 Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:12 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 19022 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostPraeceladon, on 04 May 2016 - 07:34 AM, said:

I could have told you that months ago [edited]. That's why on falls creek I always knock down all the trees in front of the bridge on the side with the house. There's a hill back behind the redline and there's about three trees between the little hill and the bridge. Easy spot to hold bridge from.

You could have confirmed it months ago?

Or given a best guess?

I mean you had actual distances with two tanks on Opposite teams with screen shots?

Because I find this hard to believe.  Otherwise you could have posted something.

Also, WarGaming said before training rooms that knocked over trees didn't count as camo.

Today I went to the bathroom and forgot my phone.

There are 256 tiles in the bathroom...

thebrossassinator #11 Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:14 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 16248 battles
  • [SPUDX]
Bushka has been right all along, going lumberjack mode from now on. 

Flying_Cod #12 Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:49 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 25653 battles
  • [III-C]
Awesome.  Thank for posting this and doing the tests. +1 to you

_Diesel_41_ #13 Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:53 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 34707 battles
  • [III-C]
Thanks for the confirmation. I also quit with the trees when WG said no camo effect.
Thanks!

Praeceladon #14 Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:03 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19234 battles

View Postahredstealth, on 04 May 2016 - 02:12 PM, said:

You could have confirmed it months ago?

Or given a best guess?

I mean you had actual distances with two tanks on Opposite teams with screen shots?

Because I find this hard to believe.  Otherwise you could have posted something.

Also, WarGaming said before training rooms that knocked over trees didn't count as camo.

Why would I post what I assumed to be common knowledge. When you knock a tree over and sit behind it it phases from opaque to transparent just like any bush and everyone knows trees give camo when they're standing.

literally no reason to suspect they didnt.

When ever Ive ever been behind a downed tree it takes longer for me to be spotted so clearly it has camo just like a bush. Not news to me. 

Praeceladon #15 Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:05 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19234 battles

View Post_Diesel_41_, on 04 May 2016 - 02:53 PM, said:

Thanks for the confirmation. I also quit with the trees when WG said no camo effect.
Thanks!

Then they lied. The foliage gives camo. They just don't give much camo when they're standing because you can't hide a tank behind a tree trunk.

However if the other tank was at an odd angle on a high ledge and looked down and a tree was between him and your tank it would increase camo provided you were tucked behind it like you would behind a bush.

if your just sitting behind a tree trunk 90% of your tank is still visible so nah your not getting much if any camo from it.

tedg5 #16 Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:11 PM

Tater salad

• Players
  • 51611 battles
  • [AGOGO]
I can say that WG did tell us trees had no camo effect earlier when this subject came up, thus I changed my play style. Well, glad it is confirmed now, nice work. Prasce, you were right, you guessed ( in sientific therms had a hypothesis) like we all did earlier, but you were right. But, with experimental evidence now we know.

CoyoteRagtime #17 Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:13 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 38588 battles
  • [6-AD]
This is awsm. This is like the tank equivalent of pushing the table over and ducking behind it in a fire fight. I love little details like this that make the game more interesting. It's also fun when you see a tree falling in the distance, even tho you don't see the tank yet. Thanks for your little mythbuster experiment.
It's the General Lee! Get it?

_JenniferAniston #18 Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:33 PM

I miss Brad

• Players
  • 25360 battles

View Posttedg5, on 05 May 2016 - 12:11 PM, said:

I can say that WG did tell us trees had no camo effect earlier when this subject came up, thus I changed my play style. Well, glad it is confirmed now, nice work. Prasce, you were right, you guessed ( in sientific therms had a hypothesis) like we all did earlier, but you were right. But, with experimental evidence now we know.

but prior to WG telling us on the forums they released a newsfeed article saying knocked down trees DO provide camp effect; a portion of what a bush would be. 

tedg5 #19 Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:07 PM

Tater salad

• Players
  • 51611 battles
  • [AGOGO]

View Post_JenniferAniston, on 05 May 2016 - 08:33 PM, said:

but prior to WG telling us on the forums they released a newsfeed article saying knocked down trees DO provide camp effect; a portion of what a bush would be. 

Just confirms the need to do experiments to determine which it is, until we had proof no one KNEW.

Also tagged with tree, bush, camo, camouflage, spotting, view, view range, sniping

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users