Type 62 guide Unitater

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Unitater #1 Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:01 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22189 battles

Type 62: The Dragon from China

Hey there forumites! Today I will be presenting a guide for the T62 Dragon, a tier VII Chinese
premium light tank, the first high tier light tank to join blitz.

For links to my other guides made, please visit my profile - the links are provided in the "About Me" Section under the spoilers.

A brief history:
        The Type 62, also known as the WZ-131 is a Chinese light tank developed in the 1960s. It is a
lightweight version of the Type 59, with lighter armor, smaller chassis, and gun caliber. It was
mainly developed to traverse the swampy lands of southern China, and the mountains and rivers
of south and western China. The tank is still used by the Chinese army, though it has been
upgraded a few times. It's original concept hit the drawing boards in 1958, with the first
prototypes being built between 1960-62. It joined formal army service in 1963. The 62 being a
smaller version of the 59, uses a 85mm Type 62-85TC rifled cannon, rather than its 100mm
counterpart. It has much less armor (obviously), with a simple layout and controls. The tank is
designed for four operators. The gun is identical to the Type 63, a later variant, and in real life
can fire AP, APHE, HE, Frag-HE, HEAT, APFSDF-T and smoke rounds. Chinese reports say that
it had poor accuracy (due to lack of a very stab), a rof between 3-5, a range of 12,200m and a
maximum aimed range of 1,870m. The HEAT could penetrate 495mm armor. It uses a torsion
bar suspension, and the 59's 523HP engine was lowered to 430HP, still giving a maximum speed
of 60km/h on roads. The tank saw service in the Vietnam war, and many nations including China
still carry it in service.

Stats:

Armor:
HP: 1,150
Hull armor (front/sides/rear): 35/20/20mm
Turret armor (front/sides/rear): 43/35/20mm

Mobility:
Speed Limit: 60 km/h
Track Traverse: 58 deg/sec
Turret traverse: 48 deg/sec
View range: 260m
Engine power: 430 HP
Chance of fire: 12%

Gun:
RoF: 10.53 rpm
Avg pen (AP/HEAT/HE): 145/250/43
Avg dmg (AP/HEAT/HE): 200/200/300
Dispersion: 0.37
Aim time: 2.1s

Some in game notes:

The Type 62 being a high tier light tank in blitz is situated uniquely. When 

this tank was anticipated I had highly undervalued its capabilities in blitz. Despite the smaller
map sizes, the tank can still perform extremely well. It's gun has a great DPM with great
handling. This combined with camo and speed earn the tank excellence. I will say, however, that
driving this tank does require more skill than average. Since it has next to no armor, it must stay
hidden. Don't think that just because you're a light tank, that you must scout every game,
especially when facing many other mediums and lights. Do not get caught facing multiple
enemies, as they will have no problem finishing you off. The type 62 was only available once so
far, via an in shop bundle. I must also make a note that this tank, I have found, cannot lose
credits. Even when I have had to run all-HEAT rounds I still make a profit. When I use mostly
AP, I earn around 30-50k on decent games.

Advantages:
Blitz has +/-1 MM, NOT scout MM: Unlike on PC where lights can see tanks three tiers higher,
blitz has no such system. This is a massive advantage for lights, since this in itself can outweigh
the disadvantages of small maps, etc.

Fairly high HP for a light tank: This does in no measure mean that you should take hits, but
should it be a necessity, 1,150 can help cover several hits.

Extremely fast and maneuverable: this tank can zip around the map at 60 km/h, while still
retaining high track and turret traverses. This makes it very easy to relocate or circle heavier
tanks.

High alpha: At 200 damage per hit, with 10.53 rpm. This tank has a monstrous DPM of over
2,000 at tier VII. While not enough to beat the comet, it is almost best in class. This can let you
rip apart tanks easily.

High pen: Though the AP should be enough for most situations, the HEAT is almost overkill -
250 pen can test through any tank the 62 can see. Again, feel free to use HEAT, since you can't
lose credits in this tank in my experience (though I use a premium acct)

Good gun handling: though not the best, the gun can take snapshots, snipes, and of course close
quarters combat. The accuracy and aim time is more than enough for blitz maps.

Good view range: although less important in blitz than console or PC, it is still a key feature.
This tank can spot if it so wishes, and I have seen games with 1-2k assist damage.

Great camo: Not only is this a small tank, but since it is a light tank, it does not suffer the camo
penalty for movement, only firing.

Decent gun depression and elevation: -7/+20 is more than enough to work ridges and shoot
necessary targets. It is certainly an outlier of the Chinese tech tree when it comes to depression.

Disadvantages:

Nonexistent armor: You might as well be wrapped in tin foil. Though you might get the
occasional wthbounce, you cannot rely at all on the armor. Do not take shots unless absolutely
necessary.

Takes a bit to accelerate: though nothing terrible or unbearable the tank does require 3-5 seconds
to get up to speed varying on the terrain.

Dispersion from movement: If you are running and try to shoot tanks at distances greater than
100m, expect many misses. The tank can have large bloom circles when moving fast.

Horrible module and crew damage: Watch out for HE, but be careful of any hit. I have had shots
enter the rear of my tank and damage my gun. The engine and ammo rack get knocked out quite
often, so carry repair Kits. Crew members also die often, so be careful.

Playstyle/strategies:
STAY ALIVE: The 62 is key in endgame scenarios due to its high speed and DPM. Keeping that
gun firing will help carry your team to victory. But, if you Zerg Rush the enemy with no care,
don't expect to live a long life. You can circle isolated heavies or TDs, but don't fight groups of
enemies without support. Also, don't engage 1v1 with mediums, as you will be at a disadvantage.

Scout or Wolfpack in early game: Do a quick scout run, or roll with a platoon/group to have
protection. Shoot at distracted enemies or isolated enemies. Be opportunistic and patient, no need
to rush.

Know maps, and the tides of battle: the battle is an ever shifting thing: In one battle you might
need to switch flanks, or get behind the enemy. In another you might need to capture key points
(mines..cough..cough), spot, or just provide supportive fire. As a light tank you need to ADAPT.

THE GOAL IS NOT A SCOUT MEDAL: The goal is to be a key member of the team. Try to get
assistance damage throughout the game. Snipe or flank mid game, and clean up the enemies in
endgame.

Circling enemies: don't get too far ahead of their gun, and don't fall too far behind. Try to stay
between 90-140 degrees ahead of their gun. If you exceed that they may turn direction and catch
you. Too slow and they will catch you. If they change direction, don't reverse, just turn and circle
the other way.

Recommended equipment: Feel free to change, this is my loadout which I've found to work well.
Rammer
Vert stabs
Optics

Recommended provisionsFeel free to change, this is my loadout which I've found to work well.
Extra combat rations
Protective kit
Improved fuel

Recommended ConsumablesFeel free to change, this is my loadout which I've found to work well.
Multipurpose repair kit
Adrenaline
Repair kit

Overall: I would recommend this tank to more experienced players. You will experience the light tank

conundrum - in that you seem to have the firepower of a medium, but the speed, armor, and
camo of light. This may induce a false sense of security. Do not rush the enemy, passive scout,
opportunistically kill/damage enemies. Utilize your speed and DPM to move in the battle and
adjust to the way the battle flows. Be wary of module damage, and carry repair kits. This tank
can be extremely fun, especially in a toon with another Type 62, or a faster medium.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: You can also check out the podcast done by Lokeen and Lephturn, where I did an episode on the Type 62. You can find the podcast HERE. It is podcast No. 48 "Enter the Dragon."

I hope that I have been helpful, please feel free to provide constructive feedback, and put a like
down below if you felt that this guide helped you. :):great:

PANZER VOR!

*Please note that this is a guide, whose sources range from personal experience to wikis to online
resources. If I have taken any information directly, it is quoted. All credit to their respective
sources.*

Sources:
http://wiki.wargamin...ank:Ch02_Type62
http://forum.worldof...ese-light-tank/
http://wotlabs.net/a...loaking-device/
http://wotguru.com/tank-guide-type-62/

Edited by Unitater, 06 June 2016 - 05:08 PM.

All tier Xs acquired. Professional premium tank collector for WoTB.

Please check out my youtubeYOUTUBE CHANNEL!

Links to my guides can be found on my about me page (on profile)

Casual tanker, forum user, and pledge signer

Unitater #2 Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:09 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22189 battles
The next guide will be on the FV215b 183 :playing:

HereFishyFishy #3 Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:15 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11208 battles
  • [BRSKT]
I rate this guide 11 Poutines out of 10!  Thanks Tater!

pasdxd #4 Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:17 PM

Creepy Profile Pic Connoisseur

• Players
  • 20935 battles
  • [SCAMO]
I actually don't think you missed anything! This is a +1 well deserved!

Unitater #5 Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:28 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22189 battles

View PostHereFishyFishy, on 06 June 2016 - 10:15 AM, said:

I rate this guide 11 Poutines out of 10!  Thanks Tater!

Why thank you good sir!

View Postpasdxd, on 06 June 2016 - 10:17 AM, said:

I actually don't think you missed anything! This is a +1 well deserved!

Aw thanks! Happy to be of service!

View Post_V3NOM_, on 06 June 2016 - 10:20 AM, said:

Great guide tater! +1

Sadly I don't have the 62...

Thanks! That is a shame - would recommend 10/10

Chipthed0g #6 Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:33 PM

3 de Asada Con Todo

• Players
  • 53475 battles
  • [III-Z]
Good to see your writing again Rocky Mountain Man!

Unitater #7 Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:37 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22189 battles

View PostChipthed0g, on 06 June 2016 - 10:33 AM, said:

Good to see your writing again Rocky Mountain Man!

haha good to see you too señor perro!

Sean_Usmc_95 #8 Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:34 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 15495 battles
I got a steel wall medal in mine......LOL
Signature
sean_usmc_95_eng.png

Unitater #9 Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22189 battles

View PostSean_Usmc_95, on 06 June 2016 - 11:34 AM, said:

I got a steel wall medal in mine......LOL

noice!

uberbrau1975 #10 Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13796 battles

Another great guide! I missed the type 59 sale, so I bought the 62 thinking that I could essentially run it as a baby 59 with it's dpm. Nope. It wasn't until the tank boom podcast you were featured in that I finally broke myself of my suicidal habit of brawling with it. 

On another note, I occasionally bounce shots with it that i really have no business bouncing, like when a td fires at my hindquarters while I'm zipping to cover. Sometimes, rng smiles upon the foolhardy. 

Unitater #11 Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:18 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22189 battles

View Postuberbrau1975, on 06 June 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

Another great guide! I missed the type 59 sale, so I bought the 62 thinking that I could essentially run it as a baby 59 with it's dpm. Nope. It wasn't until the tank boom podcast you were featured in that I finally broke myself of my suicidal habit of brawling with it. 

On another note, I occasionally bounce shots with it that i really have no business bouncing, like when a td fires at my hindquarters while I'm zipping to cover. Sometimes, rng smiles upon the foolhardy. 

yea the 62 while being technically a 59 variant is a whole beast altogether. I'm happy that I could help :P. And yes, some bounces really are [edited]in this thing lol, like when a Jpz bounces a leo

KempBushThe3rd #12 Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:59 PM

How to Git Gud, Step 1: Don't spawn on the wrong team.

• Players
  • 12592 battles

This guide wasn't useful to me, since I don't have the Type 62 and I already knew its weaknesses, but it was still very entertaining to read!

Next time, though, you should include specific and exact stats of the tank.

WARNING: The player "KempBushThe3rd" is no longer active. This is the last message he has left us:

"I've supported this game for too long. There are too many frustrations with playing this game. And I believe that it's not worth playing anymore. This is not because of Update 3.8. I have been losing interest in this game for a while now. I believe that it is time for me to put the game down and finally move on with life. A big thanks to the forums for helping me on the road to 60%, and sometimes giving me a good laugh. o7."

_34 #13 Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:58 PM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

• Players
  • 22443 battles
thank you for sparing us from your puns :P

uberbrau1975 #14 Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:07 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13796 battles

View PostBryoDoesGaming, on 06 June 2016 - 02:59 PM, said:

This guide wasn't useful to me, since I don't have the Type 62 and I already knew its weaknesses, but it was still very entertaining to read!

pretty sure he's got everything there, right down to chances of engine fire. 

tcamp48 #15 Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:08 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 51116 battles
  • [III-Z]
Awesome history and guide!!! :great:

Unitater #16 Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:07 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22189 battles

View Posttcamp48, on 06 June 2016 - 03:08 PM, said:

Awesome history and guide!!! :great:

Thanks! Much appreciated

View PostBryoDoesGaming, on 06 June 2016 - 01:59 PM, said:

Like uberbrau said, I did have a section on the given stats of the tank, and include even the exact gun depression in the advantages section...

View Post_34, on 06 June 2016 - 02:58 PM, said:

thank you for sparing us from your puns :P

:P now this TYPE of hate I can handle XD sorry lol

robert_xh #17 Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:54 PM

Private

• Players
  • 78 battles
Thanks, very useful including telling my common mistakes using type 62 :) night mare to meet multiple meds alone or be ambushed by Rhm. Otherwise a legendary tank to drive with full of dramas and fun. 

TheBossSEAN #18 Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:29 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 38 battles
when will this tank go into store again?

SEAN-THE YOLOING CHICKEN WHO LIKES "TURTELS" THIS IS MIEN REROLL;MAIN CommanderSean_2014 (na) | BlitzStars.com

*I'm *Taiwanese* so pls forgive my crappy English* {click on pic for enlarged pic}  

FREE ARMOR INSPECTOR AT:Knowledge database for World of Tanks Blitz – Blitz Hangar                                 

Also tagged with Type 62, guide, Unitater

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users