How to Win the 3x3 Battle of the Wicked Tournament (from the team that did!)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Sir_Vagrant #1 Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:32 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 27026 battles
  • [KRONO]

My team (SPACE TRAVERSE!!!!!!) just won the excellent tournament put on by the awesome Warchief (Thanks Dude!).  Even though I was the scrub player on the team, I thought I would share some of the keys to our success.   These could also be utilized in a platoon in a regular match as well to increase success.

1) Communication - We used Discord to stay in constant contact with one another during each battle.  This allowed us to change strategy on the fly and respond in unison to the red guys.  Any team not using communication software to talk was at a huge disadvantage.

2) Proximity - staying close together was key to our winning ways.  Being able to move to support a teammate or run a strategy depended on being close enough to the other two guys.  It didn't take much distance to get too far away from teammates and get into trouble.

3) Speed - faster tanks were better than slow guns, for many reasons.  The biggest advantage from speed was being able to enact strategy quickly.  Whether for an attack or for support, it was better to get there fast then to get there too late with the bigger gun.

4) Isolation - It didn't take much of a window where an isolated tank meant a loss for the other team.  Even if it took only 10 seconds for teammates to arrive, three tanks all firing on one tank would take out that tank before help arrived.  Once it was 3 on 2, a win was much more likely.  I saw over and over where one red tank would stray too far from teammates.  We would use our speed to overcome and destroy before help arrived.

5) Spotting - We always had at least one tank that was a good spotting tank in each game.  Knowing where the red tanks were going (and especially being able to see an isolated tank) was key to us winning.

I hope these are helpful to you.  The tournament was really fun and I highly suggest you join the next one.

Hoss

Edited by HOSS2626, 12 July 2016 - 02:50 PM.

Posit1ve_ #2 Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:59 AM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 33632 battles
  • [IRD]
Congrats to you guys for discovering the basic tenets of competitive play! You'll find your options for strategy are far larger than they are in pub matches.

Edited by panzermk6, 12 July 2016 - 06:00 AM.

275 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1 

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

Sir_Vagrant #3 Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:52 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 27026 battles
  • [KRONO]
Thanks for the (slightly snarky)  response.   Given the field, you would have been amazed how many teams didn't follow these principles.  Or at least, didn't follow all of them.   It was the combining of all five consistently that I feel gave us the edge. 

Maturin1801 #4 Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:07 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9501 battles
  • [SPUD]
I'm not sure if I've missed it somewhere else, but can you post the list of tanks that your team used? Curious what qualifies as "fast" these days...

Sir_Vagrant #5 Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:14 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 27026 battles
  • [KRONO]

I have a good example.   One game on vineyards,  tier 8.  

We picked two T44 (speed and spotting)  and one is3 defender.   They picked t59,  is6 and t32.   Less speed (lots less!),  less spotting. 

Their two heavies went towards the ruins and we're spotted and forced to stop advancing.   Their t59 tried to flank town (poor proximity decision)  and we killed him since he was isolated.  

The rest was just cleanup. 

Sir_Vagrant #6 Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:15 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 27026 battles
  • [KRONO]
For speed, generally went more medium than heavy.   No lights.   No slow heavies (Cough...  T32...  Cough....) 

Posit1ve_ #7 Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:26 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 33632 battles
  • [IRD]

From my experience in clan wars, I've noticed that heavies tend to be more popular since once it actually comes down to fighting, most meds end up becoming underperfoming heavies. I wouldn't take a T-44 to a clan war since the thin mantlet is buttered even by AP on most heavies, and limits its combat effectiveness, especially when coupled with its lack of gun depression.

For that game on vineyards, I would've picked 2 IS3s and the Type-59 and headed for town. Nothing short of an RU-251 yolo-scouting could spot them in the open before they reach town. If your team had went town too, it would've been an easy victory. The IS3s have much better armor than the T-44s and guns much better suited to brawling, and the Type's respectable hull armor and decent alpha won't make it a liability. In the event you didn't go town, the type-59 can hull down in cap, forcing you to head towards town, and spotting at the same time while the IS3s are just behind him in the town. putting down serious damage with the BL-9 as you are forced into the open area in the middle where the T-44's terrible turret armor does you no good at all.

275 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1 

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

RedBarchetta3 #8 Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:39 PM

Verified √

• Players
  • 25556 battles
  • [DFNT]
Congrats on the win!

I strip away the old debris that hides a shining car, a brilliant red barchetta from a better vanished time

My not so helpful WOTB videos are on YouTube

The problem will solve itself with time.

Sir_Vagrant #9 Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:27 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 27026 battles
  • [KRONO]

@panzermk6  I am sure you would have done a good job.   Why not join the next tournament?   (also we would just hang back and out-spot you guys in the town and whittle you down...  Probably be a draw there and replay.) 

@redbarchetta3 thanks bud! You guys helped us sharpen up in clan wars.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users