Fort Despair Map strategy

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Dirk_The_Dragon_Slayer #1 Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:17 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 34424 battles
  • [ZOOM]

My short question is how do you like to play Fort Despair?

Long question: I'm playing my new IS. Game is tiers 6 and 7. We're north side. So I'm at the top tier and alphabetically. We have 4 TD's and 2 heavies and a Cromwell who will go nameless. I see 4 TD's and think open space, go right. He gives the negative and runs hard left says 'left'. He's the first dead in like two shots, I'm soon dead getting overmatched by a Dragon and AT15. Game ends in brutal fashion for us, they were left with 2 tanks in the end.

In my conversation afterward (since I was frustrated for many reasons) I point out taking 4 TD's left is a bottleneck and doesn't work. He says pro XPs always go left tier 6 and above. Otherwise it's a 'turkey shoot'. We go back and forth a bit. It wasn't impolite although I did point out his strategy didn't work multiple times. He ultimately blocks me.

So I'm looking for good feedback. I know he's not right that 'pro XPs' always go left. I'd just like some help knowing if I was wrong. It does seem that people go to the SW corner more in higher tiers. Is there a meta im unaware of?

CrimsonMG #2 Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:27 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11035 battles
  • [CRATE]
I go in the field to the side of the castle. Plenty of cover, control of the cap, and if the enemy team went into the "bottleneck" in the castle are you can make a hard turn and flak them easily.

Mindreader_2014 #3 Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:09 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6000 battles
  • [I-X]
Inside the fort, far side.

If a tomato is a fruit, is ketchup a smoothie?

4sfield #4 Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:26 AM

Space Lord

• Players
  • 33618 battles
  • [-1]

I've seen TD heavy teams win in the slot lots of times. 

There is no established meta for the fort. I rarely play it the same twice in a row. It all depends on what I'm driving, whether or not I'm platooning and what everyone else does. I can work with any direction and mix on that map. It's the same as every map, if your team is trash you have your work cut out for you. 

Snowflakes - 1, Good Guys - 0

FREE _stealy!!!

anonym_2ZNiJLJL8ln2 #5 Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:23 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Always the right side open field. Whatever fool tried to tell you otherwise is deluding themselves. City is redundant, they just go through kill zones to attack you anyway. A tank can only protect itself against so many angles...

michaeltsoon #6 Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:13 PM

No.1 Gold-Slinging Unicum

• Players
  • 39478 battles
  • [HATED]
Mostly heavies and mediums? Go Fort. Mostly TDs and lights? Go plains

Administrative Officer of [HATED] - Hated for a reason.

Founder of [PZ3] - Always Loyal, Always Fighting, Always Courageous. PZ3 will carry!

My stats

LuftwaffLe_2242 #7 Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:48 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 24522 battles

I always go to choke alley.   Always.  I usually play heavies.   When im a med, I will stay on the fort side and not the open field side.  

Lots of cover on the fort side and the field sucks, thats where noobs go.    Real action is always in choke alley. 

Awesomeforwardguy1 #8 Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:30 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10810 battles
  • [IRH]
If I'm in a T95, Maus/E100 platoon or something insane like that then I will go tank alley (and call for team to go tank alley). Those tanks excel in chokepoints. But usually I just follow the team. Lately I've been playing a ton of games on the border between the fort and the field. It's a flexible position with a lot of cover.

Current Tanks in Garage: T95, Ferdinand, Maus, Leopard (Tier 5), Vk2801, T2 Light, Kv2, DW2

Abrams_Army #9 Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:25 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 44452 battles
  • [III-C]

View Post4sfield, on 16 July 2016 - 03:26 AM, said:

I've seen TD heavy teams win in the slot lots of times. 

There is no established meta for the fort. I rarely play it the same twice in a row. It all depends on what I'm driving, whether or not I'm platooning and what everyone else does. I can work with any direction and mix on that map. It's the same as every map, if your team is trash you have your work cut out for you. 

Take it with a grain of salt whenever a player says something like "all the good players on this map always​​​ do/go..... etc., etc." It is never good to lock yourself into one strategy for a map every single time. One time on Fort, my team had- I believe- 6 heavies and a TD versus red team that was basically the same. We spawned south and I team chatted "all right plz." We ended up winning. After, my toonmate asked why right and I said (basically) because reds probably didn't expect us to flank but head to choke instead. It worked- we totally surprised and crossfired the reds. Would that work all​ the time? Nope. IMO, the only strategy that tends to work 99% of the time seems to be cap circle on Falls. 

Edited by Abrams_Army, 19 July 2016 - 06:25 PM.

Not everyone can be a unicom in this game. That being said, be a help to your team as best you can. If you're not an asset, then you're a liability. 

Community Pledge signer

Wf3jmBQ.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users