KV-2 Lessons

KV-2

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

BobboEvans #1 Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:52 PM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 42223 battles

So... Recently posted about rebuying the KV-1 to get the KV-2 as an alternate credit grinder to my T-34-85.  I just finished getting my crew to 100% (free XP'd the modules) and here's what I learned....

• AP is about worthless.  There's nothing like a bounce to make the reload feel even longer than it actually is...
  • Neither Bushka nor Anon____ have videos on the KV-2 (that I could find).  Sure... Anon____ has that one with the 107mm gun... but people don't drive the KV-2 for the 107.... so disappointing.  If anyone knows some good lesson videos on KV-2 with Derp, let me know.
  • The KV-2 comes with the risk where you slowly get to the battle, get one shot off, team disolves and you're lucky to get shot 2 out before being mauled.
  • On the other side of the coin.... The KV-2 seems to instill the fear of Stalin in players.  I had really low damage games where I stayed 1v3 the whole game in cover as my team cleaned up the other 4 and we won 7-0.  The KV-2 can pin 3 tanks without even firing a shot.
  • On game 21, I learned to true fun of the KV-2.

Spoiler

• The KV-2 does NOT earn great credits.  I can do MUCH better in the T-34-85.  I think I need another credit earner.... Suggestions?  No prem suggestions, plz.
  • I'm confused on the ammo.  I tended to spam a lot of HE even when I knew I couldn't pen.  This was mainly for 2 reasons... I didn't want to risk an AP bounce and Prammo is just too expensive.  If I was credit flush.... I would probably spam prammo in this tank.  I'd love tips from good KV-2 drivers who don't spam Prammo.
  • Hit rate is attrocious in this tank (close to my win rate).  You often have to pray to RNGesus and let the shot go without being fully aimed or risk absorbing damage.  Sometimes you get a shocker (the one hit kill aimed at the KV-2 hull that went slightly high and hit him in the small dark area just below the gun from 200m) but mostly you fly way off the mark.  This was probably made worse because I started with 75% crew.
  • Although frustrating at times... the KV-2 is oh so fun to drive.  Anyone who hasn't... should.  There are just so many 1-shot kills from full health that make up for the 'where did that round go?' moments.
  • The win rate fluctuated wildly as I got my crew to 100%. It was 80% after 10 games... Dropped to 60% and has stabilized at about 66% after 69 games.

Tl;dr - must have fun tank that can frustrate the heck out of you at times but racks up 1-shot kills like crazy.

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

Gitgudm9 #2 Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:57 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15399 battles
  • [MAHOU]
Bushka does have a KV-2 vid, it's a nice guide. As for a credit grinder, a T10 Russian med with full provisions and HEAT spam should do the trick. JK, I think the Cromie makes good credits, not really sure, though.

"Anime girls were made to be lewded." - Klaus_Klavier

YourTypicalNoob #3 Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 13137 battles
  • [DFNT]
https://www.youtube....h?v=oh5bw2NYlLA

CustardCreme #4 Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:59 PM

C'est La Vie

• Players
  • 13738 battles
  • [ATLS]

Well I think the problem is that you are being "Too gentle" with the KV2 and more sniping per say rather than close/2nd line support. You are playing the KV2 wrong if you are having to have to aim all the time and wait for the shell to travel. While I don't have the KV-2, I am saying my tips somewhat based on the SU-152 with the 152mm. I don't use my 152 with the 152mm as a "Sniper Style" tanker destroyer but rather push with my team where I erase 500-700 HP of a tank so my team can finish it off while I reload. It should be quick, and you should STAY with your team.

Then again, these tanks that aren't premium weren't meant for credit grinding but if you must, I find the regular Cromwell make a decent amount of credits w/ and w/o a premium account. Another option you can look into is the Jpanther 1 since many people say that is a viable non-premium credit grinding tank.

Like you said, if is VERY satisfying and pleasuring when you hit the target and take off more than half of its healthpoints. 

TZqWCQ9.png

Anon_____ #5 Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:13 PM

Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 47663 battles
I have a vid coming soon* on the KV-2... but yeah, Buska does have one with the non-derp.

All lines complete | all tanks aced 255/255

Current top 10 rated NA tanks: SU-100M1 #1 | Fury #2 | Sherman Jumbo #2 | Ha-Go #2 | PZ IVD #3 | Crom B #3 | PZ IVS #5 | Waff PZ IV #5 | T23E3 #5 | Rudy #3 | Pz III/IV #7 | VK 30.01 P #8 |

Edelweis #9 | SU-122-54 #9 | Dicker Max #10 | M8A1 #6

watch me on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/anonwotb | my youtube channel

gunslang_iron #6 Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:32 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7579 battles
Let the hand of stalin reach up from hell and guide the shell to the tank and do 1200 damg

BobboEvans #7 Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:35 PM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 42223 battles

View PostGitgudm9, on 17 July 2016 - 04:57 PM, said:

Bushka does have a KV-2 vid, it's a nice guide. As for a credit grinder, a T10 Russian med with full provisions and HEAT spam should do the trick. JK, I think the Cromie makes good credits, not really sure, though.

ok.  I went back and looked and did find one.  Thx for the note.  I initially looked in his guide section and didn't find it there so I searched all his videos.  Of course.... His first game was with the 107.  He didn't really tell me anything I wasn't doing except that pimp runs a full HE load out.  I'm leaning in this direction too.  Thank for making me look again!

View PostYourTypicalNoob, on 17 July 2016 - 04:58 PM, said:

This is WOT.  Not WOTB.  I've never played WOT but I feel like strategy is not very transferable.  Thank you for the link, though.

View PostFranceFleur, on 17 July 2016 - 04:59 PM, said:

Well I think the problem is that you are being "Too gentle" with the KV2 and more sniping per say rather than close/2nd line support. You are playing the KV2 wrong if you are having to have to aim all the time and wait for the shell to travel. While I don't have the KV-2, I am saying my tips somewhat based on the SU-152 with the 152mm. I don't use my 152 with the 152mm as a "Sniper Style" tanker destroyer but rather push with my team where I erase 500-700 HP of a tank so my team can finish it off while I reload. It should be quick, and you should STAY with your team.

Then again, these tanks that aren't premium weren't meant for credit grinding but if you must, I find the regular Cromwell make a decent amount of credits w/ and w/o a premium account. Another option you can look into is the Jpanther 1 since many people say that is a viable non-premium credit grinding tank.

Like you said, if is VERY satisfying and pleasuring when you hit the target and take off more than half of its healthpoints. 

Thank you for telling me I'm playing it wrong and the tips on how to play it right.  I'll try to improve and I value your experience in the KV-2.  What's your win rate in it?  Btw... Where in my post did I say I played it as a long range sniper?

View PostAnon_____, on 17 July 2016 - 05:13 PM, said:

I have a vid coming soon* on the KV-2... but yeah, Buska does have one with the non-derp.

I hope so.  I enjoy your videos right up there with Bushka.  Bushka's only advantage is the accent.  I did find Bushka's video so thx for the note.

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

BobboEvans #8 Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:39 PM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 42223 battles

View Postgunslang_iron, on 17 July 2016 - 05:32 PM, said:

Let the hand of stalin reach up from hell and guide the shell to the tank and do 1200 damg

Haha... Unfortunately, that hand reaches up and moves the point blank mostly dark zone HE shell to the yellow zone for a 300 roll, too. I think my highest roll has been about 1100... Haven't had a 1200 roll, yet!

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

Pittoors_ #9 Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:54 PM

Killer Queen has already touched this forum title

• Players
  • 35565 battles
  • [MAHOU]

- It's not the best credit maker, but if you play it correctly you will make nice credits. For pure credit grinding, I suggest Panzer III/IV or the VK 28.01.

- As for the ammo, I use HE all the time, while AP can bounce, HE will do splash DMG most of the time, which is always better than a bounce. AP could work on some situations though, but I never use it.

- Eventually, in order to compensate the DMG of the gun, the accuracy, reload, aim time and the bloom of this gun are mediocre. Aim your shots and let Stalin guide your shells to the victory path.

- Agreed, it's one of the funniest tanks of the game. Sometimes you just have bad matches where you don't connect a single shot, while sometimes you just carry your team.

https://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/Pittoors_

Current garage: M48A1 Patton, IS-4, T110E5, E 50 Ausf. M, Leopard 1, T-62A, M46 Patton, T54E1, IS-8, IS-5, IS-6, Rheinmetall Borsig Waffentrager, T49, T23E3Type 62, Helsing, T-34-1, Kuro Mori MineAC IV Sentinel, SU-100YStridsvagn 74A2, Panzer IV Anko SP, Churchill III, T-34, Hetzer Kame SP, A-32, DW 2, Panzer S35, BT-SV, BT-7 Artillery, SU-76i, T-15M3 LightT2 LightT7 Combat CarLight Mk. VIC.

BootlegTampico #10 Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:23 PM

"LGoW" --Random Pub

• Players
  • 22623 battles
  • [-OHM-]
Why does one need a guide for the KV-2? Out of curiousity...

Clan War Discord Server youtube Join the Legion

I would love for Wargaming to succeed, and I will push for success until I'm gone or Blitz is. 

nito53 #11 Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:28 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20246 battles
  • [514TH]
Switch to AP (if u can pen) when ur dealing with spaced armor. Also when dealing with a at8 aim at the gun that doesn't work, that how u one shot it.  What I also like to do is ambush the enemy with a side shot. Always try to think how you can put a side shot in. Not to brag or nothing but I have played  500 n something battles. 

KevnxKilla #12 Posted 17 July 2016 - 07:57 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 15263 battles
  • [TITAN]

I run 20 HE 4 premium AP 0 normal AP. I almost never use all the AP rounds and most games I only spam HE. There are alot of tanks you cant reliably one shot but can penetrate with the premium shell for 640 alpha. Tiger 1s and Kuros are good for AP if youre close.(HE can hit some places but theyre small).T20s to the front are good for AP, just have that ammo out to switch back to HE when he tries to back around the corner and get his side. There are many other examples. Its going to be tanks that mostly splash your HE (200-600 dmg) but they are still weak enough to hit with AP for 480-640 alpha which is obviously better. Sounds like your doing alright though. Pretty nice you got a Raisen medal withh a KV2 and also capped base though, nice.

boppinbobby #13 Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:23 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 61903 battles
  • [HJG2]
48Ton Ruckus has a KV2 video. As does Hugh  Jass. I find HE for most shots but ap does go through the side something like a church vii and it will REALLY hurt it. I think the most satisfaction comes from one shotting a KV-1S through the lower glacis. Be aggressive but not in the open. You need to hide when reloading.

Big Gunz and Ammo Rackz.

HJG2; Hughmons are People too.

gunslang_iron #14 Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:33 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7579 battles
Pittoors I'm sueing you for "Stalin guide your shells to the victory path".

Shadow__Lugia #15 Posted 18 July 2016 - 12:22 AM

Let the salt flow

• Players
  • 60454 battles
  • [DEF_6]
My luckiest hand of Stalin Derp shot ever was one time on the old desert sands. There was a vk 30.01h sitting on a hill in the desert and I could just see him under the tracks so I shot and it went under the tracks (between the train and the tracks) and hit and penned him for full HE damage. Ahh Stalin how I love you so

BobboEvans #16 Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:46 PM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 42223 battles

View Postblack_charizard_, on 18 July 2016 - 12:22 AM, said:

My luckiest hand of Stalin Derp shot ever was one time on the old desert sands. There was a vk 30.01h sitting on a hill in the desert and I could just see him under the tracks so I shot and it went under the tracks (between the train and the tracks) and hit and penned him for full HE damage. Ahh Stalin how I love you so

I had ALMOST the same experience.  Tank other side of desert sands... View a sliver through train's wheels... I fully aim... And it sails over the rail car.  @&?$&.

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

yoyoda #17 Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:50 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 21531 battles
I'm very pleased with the credit earnings in the KV-2. 

"...this is a wheefunphonegame played by a great deal of immature and/or ignorant young kids shirking homework or old people on potty breaks."

Blartch

KermitTheGamer #18 Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:29 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2520 battles

I run all HE mostly but have 5 normal AP for when I need to shoot through things to hit the enemy or when I can't pen with HE but AP will and can kill it in one shot...like if I'm up against a Churchill I that's taken two hits to make it a guaranteed one-shot, I'll load the AP instead...you've got to be really careful with the HE though because I've never had so many ghost shells as HE from the KV-2...

Maya is bae <3

___ez_e___ #19 Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 63902 battles
  • [GORT]

I really enjoy the KV-2, especially derping the hell out of the enemy.

You want to run HE almost exclusively.  Pretty much the only time you want to shoot AP is if you need to fire through an object (i.e fence, sandbag, etc).

Sometimes you just got to let if fly!  I swear I've hit some crazy shots with the KV-2.

I think the credit earning is decent.

Edited by ___ez_e___, 19 July 2016 - 03:23 PM.

BorisBaddenov #20 Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:44 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 26803 battles
  • [NOGUD]

View Post_Kairos, on 17 July 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

Why does one need a guide for the KV-2? Out of curiousity...

For me, I'd like to see one because I think it has a very different play style than any other heavy tank.

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

Also tagged with KV-2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users