• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

CC_Sly #1 Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:30 PM

Community Lead

• Administrator
  • 3091 battles
  • [WGA]

Hey Tankers!

There was some confusion in the first round of the qualifiers last night on how many people are needed to not get a technical defeat. That number is 7 players must be in the tournament room and ready for battle. 

I am going to try and address some common questions and concerns I have heard

7 players is a lot, why 7 as a minimum? EU did 5 as a minimum.

The logic behind this is that we are paying for a team of 7 people to fly out in order to represent NA in a best of the best server vs server situation. If your team wants to aim for this, 7 people are going to be needed. EU did have 5, but I'd rather have our team of 7 from NA vs their team of 5 at the finals.

Why only 1 reserve? Eu has up to 3! That would have helped.

When talking with the tournament organizer and looking at the available budget, it was decided that only 7 people per Blitz team would be flown out. When I spoke with the PC team about it they suggested that I limit it to 8 as that is what they do. That was so teams would only have to cut a single person rather than 3.

Ok, but there wasn't very much time to get organized with a team of 7-8 people that required a minimum of 7 to participate.

Agreed, timings were very tight. This was not only on your end but on the organizational end as well. The short and sweet of it is that a decision had to be made and that is what we have to stick to whether it was the most ideal one or not. 

It was unfair that my team of 6 lost to a true AFK team - can't you just move forward teams that queued against the real no shows? 

Unfortunately I have no way to tell the difference between a fully no show team and a team that had 6 people readied up. If I was able to do this, I'd manually go in and change all the scores myself. With the time constraints and other factors, this is not an option that is able to be considered.

Can't you change the number of players required to start a match? Even if 1 player shows up they should be able to play.

This goes back to the first question a bit. While I can change the minimum number of required players to start a match - changing things midway through the tournament, especially one with these stakes, was advised against. As a result we will maintain the 7 required players rule for the remainder of this tournament. 

Can't you just redo the round? That seems like an easy solution.

Honestly - I'd love to. There is just no time and it would require more man-hours than I have available to me.

So what is going to happen for the next round?

This is still in a bit of flux. It will be either the top 1 or 2 teams moving on to the next round. I have pulled the data and the top single team from each group will move on. In the case of ties all teams tied will move on. The exception will be if the entire group of 8 teams didn't have 7 tankers throughout the entire round. (Meaning no battles were fought and no one in that group was awarded a Victory.) What this does is cause all 8 teams to tie for 1st and move on. These teams will be manually removed and will not proceed to the next stage.  

What about filtering out teams that don't meet the requirements at the registration phase?

I'd love to. Part of the reason the Tier restriction was open from I-X in NA, was that there is currently no way to filter Tank Tiers at the registration level. This means I can say it is Tier VIII-X but a team who only has tier 4 tanks can still register and take up a spot. The filter only kicks in once people are in the room itself. It would prevent any tanks Tier VII and below from readying up. We run into very similar issue with that system. So it was decided to open it up to Tier I-X.    

Let's talk about the cost of running these battles! It is ridiculous! They should be like training rooms.

Well, first off, let me be 100% clear that the current system treats these battles like Random Battles. You can earn credits and lose credits just like if you hit the "BATTLE" button. I have 0 control over that fact. Though I will be sure to pass along the feedback to the devs.    

So does that mean that all tournaments in the future will have similar rules to this one?

No! For the Twister Cup, due to the highly competitive nature of the qualifiers and the decisions that were made, we had to keep the 7 minimum. This does not mean that future tournaments will be run the same. This is a new tool that we are getting used to. I need to figure out and calibrate tournaments so that they are the most fun and engaging for the community. I want your feedback on this one so I can do that.

Edited by CC_Sly, 03 October 2016 - 08:32 PM.
Updating

FORMER

Please read the WoT Blitz Game and Forum rules.

Forum Rules - EULA TOS

Find us on Facebook & Twitter!

_law #2 Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:33 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 23976 battles
  • [GRIM]
READ THE RULES FOOLS!

"Get two birds stoned at once."

tachifortune #3 Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:36 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 16936 battles
How unfortunate. Thanks for the clarifications Sly!

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."

-Rorschach

Sir_Vagrant #4 Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:40 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 27026 battles
  • [KRONO]

Thanks for the update.   Will the game window be the same as last night?   Kinda getting on short notice here... 

(also still waiting for wolfx bye...  I think it got lost) 

Edited by HOSS2626, 03 October 2016 - 07:41 PM.

Randimoon #5 Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:41 PM

501 Family Executioner

• Players
  • 18561 battles
  • [STORM]

Thankyou Sly for the hard work and time you put in, we know you really went overboard recently trying to keep everything together. While its a shame that some of the rules are as they are currently, I believe the answers you've given us are the best for the current situation. Sadly one of our teams will not get to move on, we are disappointed but the fault is on us. We do have another team that will be moving on in their group and can't wait to play myself soon. 501 is with you Sly, have fun with your new toy.  :teethhappy:

Good luck and happy tanking to everyone.

Grinding: AMX 50 100, AMX 38, Jackson, T49

Forgetting About Stats & Playing For Community and Fun

erikboss18 #6 Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:45 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 26615 battles
  • [501ST]
This makes sense. I mean if you can't get a team of 7 people to hop online for the first round of the tournament, how are you supposed to get your team to go to New York? Like sly said, do you really want a team of less than 7, which would pose a higher chance of losing, to represent NA?

Edited by erikboss18, 03 October 2016 - 07:46 PM.

•I probs hold the record for most team kills and solo rushing•

BubbaGrumpus #7 Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:47 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 19261 battles
  • [DRS14]

edited for content and character.

Edited by BubbaJenkins, 03 October 2016 - 07:50 PM.

Brundog #8 Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:50 PM

Woof Woof

• Players
  • 44442 battles
  • [SRT]

View Posterikboss18, on 03 October 2016 - 01:45 PM, said:

This makes sense. I mean if you can't get a team of 7 people to hop online for the first round of the tournament, how are you supposed to get your team to go to New York? Like sly said, do you really want a team of less than 7, which would pose a higher chance of losing, to represent NA?

yeah i pretty much agree with this.  I figured most games would be a draws in the 1st round, I just thought my own team would at least show up.

RH_131 #9 Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:56 PM

Maus Master

• Players
  • 28261 battles
  • [PURPL]
When do we get to see who we are fighting in round 2 tonight. I've got 7 battles tonight and I don't know what maps to train on or who I'm fighting against. This should be fixed asap.

#1 Maus Damage Record Holder

"We just lost to 2 tanks that shouldn't even be considered for clan wars"-Anonymous after being defeated by the PNCR Maus tank division.

Tanks I need to buy: T110E4, M46 Patton, Obj 704, Caernarvon, Leopard, Centurion 7/1
Tanks I own: M103, T95, M3 Light, T7 Car, KV-4, IS-7, Rhm Borsig, and Tortoise 
Tanks I own(and like): E-50 M, E-100, Jg. Pz. E-100, Luchs, Maus, Jagdtiger 88, Leopard 1, Obj 140, IS-3D, Van Helsing, LTP, KV2, T-54, Kuro, Chi Ri, Su 100M1, and Pz 4 Anko
Favorite Tank: M4A3E8 FURY!!!!!!
          I now have a YouTube channel, if you enjoy disappointment press the subscribe button

GenericMIKE #10 Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:58 PM

The Most Generic Tanker in Blitz

• Players
  • 22014 battles
  • [IRD]

Block Quote

(Meaning no battles were fought and no one in that group was awarded a "Victory.")What this does is cause all 8 teams to tie for 1st and move on. These teams will be manually removed and will not proceed to the next stage.  

I like this part! Thank you!

Also:

View PostRH_131, on 03 October 2016 - 02:56 PM, said:

When do we get to see who we are fighting in round 2 tonight. I've got 7 battles tonight and I don't know what maps to train on or who I'm fighting against. This should be fixed asap.

Edited by GenericMIKE, 03 October 2016 - 08:00 PM.

You can visit Blitz Guru for current news, updates, map guides, tank guides and more!

_34 #11 Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:58 PM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

• Players
  • 20305 battles
  • [-TK]
thanks, Sly, for this. im glad to see that you guys have noticed your mistakes and/or shortcomings and are willing to improve upon them. big respect for that

They_See_Me_Tog #12 Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:14 PM

Lance-corporal

• Banned
  • 5 battles

View Post_law, on 03 October 2016 - 07:33 PM, said:

READ THE RULES FOOLS!

Reported for crazy caps

___ez_e___ #13 Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:14 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 51163 battles
  • [GORT]

I think the one thing that might have helped no shows is if we were allowed to lock in all 8 players right before the tournament.  A 20 minute window to lock in players before the first tournament invites would have gone a long way.  I had my 8 clan mates lock all the spots, but when it came to game time only 6 were available.  We did have more clan mates that could have participated, but because the original 8 were already locked in, we were screwed.

I think this was the case for a majority of no shows.....most clans probably DID have enough players available at tournament time, it just that they weren't the original 8 that locked into the tournament.  Clan mates were excited to say the least, until we realized our issue.  lol

Edited by ___ez_e___, 03 October 2016 - 08:16 PM.

Ausf_G #14 Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:17 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 41066 battles
  • [11TH]
Thanks for the update as it was pretty cut and dry as it should be. Wish the best to those who are on to round 2 Qualifiers. May the best 7 represent us at the Twister Cup!

Commander of the 11TH Panzer Division. vom Führer Genehmigt

Ha! Derging voll durch ihre panzerung

Der steht in Flammen! 

Hope I dont catch a ban for this post.

CK_CaptainCrunch #15 Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:23 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 12368 battles
  • [DRSIA]

501 supports what you're doing for the community Sly 

What time can we expect the round 2 matches to be available? 

-Carlysle 

CC_Sly #16 Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:35 PM

Community Lead

• Administrator
  • 3091 battles
  • [WGA]

Round 2 should be up! I had to manually go through and double check for AFK teams to parse them out. 

Window will be what is written - if anything it will be shorter.

For this stage the top 2 teams from each bracket will advance! 

Edited by CC_Sly, 03 October 2016 - 08:39 PM.
Updating

FORMER

Please read the WoT Blitz Game and Forum rules.

Forum Rules - EULA TOS

Find us on Facebook & Twitter!

CK_CaptainCrunch #17 Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:39 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 12368 battles
  • [DRSIA]
Thank you sir 

ScumbagJuJu #18 Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:44 PM

Community Scumbag

• Players
  • 23067 battles
  • [PURPL]
Thank you Sly. I was going to make a thread that shut up all complainers but this being from you is official!

Point being guys, read the rules. When you signed up for this tournament you agreed to the rules! Period, end of story! Do not come complain because you had 6 tankers ready. The rules stated 7! This is meant to be a highly competitive tournament for prize money, accommodations, world fame! This means you need to be on your A game, part of that means having the 7 guys you agreed to play be on and readied up!

Thank you Sly! And thank you wargaming for this tournament. I have not been this excited about Blitz in a long time. I hope this is the first of many competitive tournaments to turn blitz into the next esport sensation!

2 Time Twister Cup NA Finalist

Las Vegas Mobile Masters Finalist

Too Many Tourney Championship Rings To Count

COBRAS

_War_Child_ #19 Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:45 PM

Forum Fadoodler

• Players
  • 35488 battles
  • [III]

MERGE THE QUEUES!!  Oh, hold on...

LET THE WINDOWS 10 PLAYERS PARTICIPATE!!  I promise I'll switch to whatever iPad you give me when I get to NY for the Finals!

Ookla_the_Mok #20 Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:58 PM

Team Brisket

• Players
  • 21760 battles
  • [BRSKT]

View PostScumbagJuJu, on 03 October 2016 - 02:44 PM, said:

Thank you Sly. I was going to make a thread that shut up all complainers but this being from you is official!

Point being guys, read the rules. When you signed up for this tournament you agreed to the rules! Period, end of story! Do not come complain because you had 6 tankers ready. The rules stated 7! This is meant to be a highly competitive tournament for prize money, accommodations, world fame! This means you need to be on your A game, part of that means having the 7 guys you agreed to play be on and readied up!

Thank you Sly! And thank you wargaming for this tournament. I have not been this excited about Blitz in a long time. I hope this is the first of many competitive tournaments to turn blitz into the next esport sensation!

So, in your view, WG launching this with a single test has worked out swell? Read between the lines in Sly's post and it is clear that WG HQ pushed this out way too early. Add in the lack of uniformity of rules amongst the servers and its obvious feedback from the players in this tournament should be welcomed, not called off as useless.

Teams not even being able to fight for an entire round? That is a broken event.

The problem with this whole thing is the stakes make it unchangeable, but its a beta tournament. I think Sly had this thing dumped on him as WG rolled this out and got caught flatfooted.

Also, ScumbagJuJu, are you on the team getting a pass on the prelims? No issue with the bye, but it is ridiculous for you to come in here telling everyone to shut up when these people actually experienced the issues with the tournament.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users