Why no one helped you

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

M00niac #1 Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:19 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 46099 battles

Instead of getting upset with your team not supporting you. Try to learn from it. It doesn't really matter if your team let you down, it only matters how to avoid it affecting you as much as possible. 

Perhaps you let down your team instead of vice versa? Ask these things of yourself:

1. Did I have a plan? Always have one, always be ready to change it.

2. Did my plan compliment what my team was doing or should I have adjusted my plan?

3. Did I run away from possible support from my team?

4. Did I play the proper role for my vehicle?

5. Did I keep up with my teammates positions?

The biggest issue I see from players all the way up to tier 8 and 9 when they get upset is that they expected support and didn't get it. Sometimes, the team took a weird or sub optimal strategy and they didn't pay attention (there are several decent strategies for most maps and start position and team makeup matters). Often, they ran into a fight, and did not manuever so their friends could help.

No point hitting SOS after you get in a fight in a town or valley where your mates can't help. You need to manuever so that your opponent has to expose himself to your team to shoot you. THEN your team can help.

Always be aware of where your support is, and you will find you more rarely need to ask where it was after the fact. 

Matronix #2 Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:27 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7259 battles
Nice little guide.:great:

PhiliPTran #3 Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:29 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18247 battles
  • [-M--]

Typical baddies can't comprehend this. They just shout $hit after they die. 

+1 for the guide

Edited by PhiliPTran, 26 October 2014 - 09:30 PM.

What? You jealous?

Unitater #4 Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:59 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22189 battles
Nice noobie guide! +1

All tier Xs acquired. Professional premium tank collector for WoTB.

Please check out my youtubeYOUTUBE CHANNEL!

Links to my guides can be found on my about me page (on profile)

Casual tanker, forum user, and pledge signer

JPMIV #5 Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:18 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 30032 battles
  • [IRH]
#5 is my most common mistake. Tunnel vision.

Stat padding Tank rehabbing

dimzzy #6 Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:14 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 39887 battles
  • [-1]
I recently adopted the mindset that I die exclusively because of low survival skill. Almost all cases when I die are my errors--exposed too much, got in bad position or was not looking at minimap. So I'm trying to focus on this issue more and more and it seems that it helps--at least WR goes up.

ProsciuttoeMelone #7 Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:10 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 19490 battles
  • [SABER]

Great advice. This is actually most beneficial to TDs. I have seen many go into panic when they notice a medium has snuck behind them, leading to the ridiculous Circle of Death. If you were playing smart, you should have allies near by, but of course they are engaged and so may be oblivious to your SOS calls. The play for most slow rotating TDs is to accept you will be hit, and to lead that medium in front of your teammates' reticles. When they see your tank in front of their gun, their first response will probably be to shout expletives for ruining their shot, but they will notice your problem, and in most cases their second response will be to reprioritize their targets to help you out.

Basically, when you are hitting that SOS button, remind yourself to NOT PANIC, which should help you assess your best move.

Delta256 #8 Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:38 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10087 battles
  • [IMPR]
The T95 is a frustrating vehicle. It's so powerful, yet so team-dependant. You can bounce shells for days, but let one medium of any tier get behind you, and you're history. If your team is off lemming-train-ing a far off flank, leaving you behind, you're toast.

I sometimes drive Warships too.

ProsciuttoeMelone #9 Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:59 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 19490 battles
  • [SABER]

I don't have a T95, but I do have an Obj, so I can relate on the team dependency thing. I also don't understand why anyone would just leave a T95 by its lonesome considering what a great shot magnet it is. I know whenever I see a friendly T95 when I am in my E75, my first move is to get right behind it (forming a super tank), and help push it where it needs to go. It also serves as a shield for my lower hull, while I make sure the T95 is less of a target for flanking. Knowing how well it works, I'm surprised I do not see the T95 + E75 platoon more often.

Aivris #10 Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:53 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8126 battles
  • [PBKAC]

One thing that has stood out to me is the issue of players not defending the base. The siren and the capture progress bar are definitely hard to miss so it must mean that players are expecting others to go and defend/reset the base. When no one goes, it can often lead to arguments about why no one went to defend the base. I believe it's because everyone relies on each other and this creates a chain of reliance. 

On the other hand, some players hold the idea of 'never trust anyone but yourself to get something done'. When a team is filled with these players, suddenly, they will disengage the enemy and head straight for the cap to reset it. Without much support, they tend to get destroyed before they get a chance to reach the capture point and reset it. Those who were heading to the base may have expected their team-mates to provide covering fire and support. However, when this does not occur, this often leads to argument.

To the OP, that's why I strongly agree with your points. It's like a 'self-assessment' which can definitely help players improve as individual players and when working with a team. Thanks for the very useful thread. +1 :honoring:

Delta256 #11 Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:38 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10087 battles
  • [IMPR]

View PostArkioLite324, on 30 October 2014 - 06:53 AM, said:

One thing that has stood out to me is the issue of players not defending the base. The siren and the capture progress bar are definitely hard to miss so it must mean that players are expecting others to go and defend/reset the base. When no one goes, it can often lead to arguments about why no one went to defend the base. I believe it's because everyone relies on each other and this creates a chain of reliance. 

On the other hand, some players hold the idea of 'never trust anyone but yourself to get something done'. When a team is filled with these players, suddenly, they will disengage the enemy and head straight for the cap to reset it. Without much support, they tend to get destroyed before they get a chance to reach the capture point and reset it. Those who were heading to the base may have expected their team-mates to provide covering fire and support. However, when this does not occur, this often leads to argument.

To the OP, that's why I strongly agree with your points. It's like a 'self-assessment' which can definitely help players improve as individual players and when working with a team. Thanks for the very useful thread. +1 :honoring:

I like it when the team expects you to do stuff. I was told to flank. In my T95.

No.

I sometimes drive Warships too.

johandelange #12 Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:41 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 26347 battles

Though I agree with most of what you wrote here, if it is especially to new players you have directed this, then you should change the heading to 'help / SOS' and write both sides of the story. This is only one side, and more often than not battles these days are filled with brand new players who would prefer to stay behind that rock enmasse whilst watching the strongest tank or more experienced player face 7 reds on his or her own than try and help. To those, I would say, if you see 'SOS' respond, even if it is just to hit 'Negative'! To mediums I would say if you see 'SOS' be the first to respond, you have the speed. To TD's be the first to check if a sniped shot could help or not. Supporting each other cuts both ways, even if it means you end up not surviving. Ultimately if you don't, you're down one or more tanks to Red.

As for situations that cause this (disregarding pure stupidity of which I am the most guilty) defending the base and flanking usually leaves the tanker who takes on this role, exposed if the team miscalculated the red strategy for that map. The reality is then not that the tank 'went off on its own', but rather that it has met the main red force whilst its mates are all chasing down that one little elusive MS-1 and ignore the 'SOS' completely.

Responding to the 'SOS' is also not a rush always, sometimes it is simply a case of repositioning and sniping from afar to help reduce the challenge the tanker who called for help is facing.

All down to teamwork! You gotta love this game :)

Team mates, please help me by reading Lert's excellent guide to basic tanking.

My Yolo Life YouTube Channel

flappyfrog #13 Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:22 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 27012 battles
  • [III-C]
Good guide.

[/url]

dimzzy #14 Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:10 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 39887 battles
  • [-1]

View PostDelta256, on 30 October 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

I like it when the team expects you to do stuff. I was told to flank. In my T95.

No.

I've seen T95 gone flanking. By the time it reached the enemy it was the last tank )))

furrywombat101001 #15 Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:14 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 36792 battles
  • [-DD-]
Two, three and four. OMFG so accurate...

JDMluv18 #16 Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:58 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5901 battles

View PostDelta256, on 30 October 2014 - 02:38 AM, said:

The T95 is a frustrating vehicle. It's so powerful, yet so team-dependant. You can bounce shells for days, but let one medium of any tier get behind you, and you're history. If your team is off lemming-train-ing a far off flank, leaving you behind, you're toast.

This.

I recently purchased my first Tier 8 TD, the Ferdinand, and now finally understand what so many on the forums have been going on about. Love the tank, but it's very slow relative to those around it, and I'm often left behind by my team. Considering my speed, it's hard to catch my allies, and, especially if a lemming train has gone one direction while the enemies have gone the other, I can easily find myself surrounded and destroyed. 

Proud Member of Luckyshots & Imperium

Tanks in my Garage: LTP, Covenanter, Pz. IV, T29, T28, T20, T-44, ISU-152, KV-4, IS-3, IS-8, Panther II, Jagdtiger, Jg.Pz. E100, E75, & E100

Working for IS-7, T62A, and a 60% WR

Happy Tanking!

thunderthies #17 Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:48 PM

Not a Hoax

• Club Wargaming
  • 14355 battles
Thanks for the info, M00niac! +1

Check out:   WoTB terms, phrases defined v. 2.0

Check out:    iMovie iOS video production tutorial

Check out:           WoTB beginner's guide, tactics

Check out:                   WoTB YouTube channels

Kevin_Thebeast #18 Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:38 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 23573 battles
  • [-M--]
I just got out of a game at Middleburg. From the get-go, everyone went up the hill (I always wait a moment to see,) but a lone E75 went rumbling off into the town. After it's obvious they're not seeing the situation, I fired off a quick message telling them to fall back to the team. They didn't. The inevitable happened, and they spent the rest of the match screaming "******** FAIL TEAM!!!" I reminded them that I did warn them, and it's not the team's fault it you refuse to listen and drive on into your doom. They didn't take that very well. 

Principe_2014 #19 Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:42 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 12683 battles
Hey wait. Did the M103 and IS-8 go up the hill?

Tanks in Garage-

E75, Obj. 704, VK 30.02 P, Matilda, Pz II, LTP

Kevin_Thebeast #20 Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:41 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 23573 battles
  • [-M--]
I forget the team composition, but yes, EVERYone (else) went.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users