t20 power creep

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Negaclaw #1 Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:11 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9410 battles
  • [UBER2]

the t20 is a very old tank. it was introduced to blitz in its early months and it has not been changed much over the years. the tank sports a 90mm gun on a low profile(good camo!) and mobile chassis. fast forward several years, new tanks such as the type 62(dat camo), the rudy(dat dpm), the lttb(dat mobility), the edelweiss(dat gun mantlet) and the very soon coming dracula(dat MOBILITY!!!) were introduced into the game. these tanks all sport a superb amount of mobility and adequate, if not competitive amounts of firepower to complement them. some of these tanks are adequately armored, while some do not have any armor to speak of, but that does not matter. their playstyles fit into the current meta very strongly, and they can carry games due to their speed and firepower.

now, back to the t20. unlike all the other mentioned tanks, it has an extra 25 alpha damage on its standard round, and also sports 160 penetration, only beaten by the lttb's top gun(unflexible). however, this is hindered by its slow rate of fire, the slowest of all tier 7 mediums/lights(not counting sp1c clip load) making the t20 one of the lowest dpm tanks at tier 7.

the t20's mobility is outclassed or equaled by all of the mentioned tanks(yes, i think even the edelweiss keeps up with the t20). the t20 has a decently high specific power(around 18), but that does not mean much due to the mediocre acceleration and it bleeds out speed whenever it turns. therefore, the t20 is more or less worse at a support(every tank listed), scout(maybe the edelweiss is a bit worse?), hit/run(type 62, lttb, rudy), and crossfire(62 and lttb with their camo) role than all of the above mentioned tanks.

however, one thing the t20 has going for it is 10 degrees of gun depression. that one redeeming factor makes it function well in hilly environments and it can provide support fire from locations that the above mentioned tanks cannot. however, the gun depression can only be used to support from better locations, because going hull down directly against enemies would result in your enemies penetrating your turret every time you peek up(the edelweiss on the otherhand can easily employ hull down tactics). also, note that the t6 dracula sports 10 degrees of gun depression as well.

so, what does the t20 excel at? well, first off, it has 248mm of apcr penetration, which at first glance seems awesome until you realize type 62s can spam 250mm pen heat shells all game and still profit. the t20 does have higher alpha than all the mentioned tanks(except the dracula) which can make some difference in peek-a-booming(surprising people with 250 alpha shots is fun) and killstealing.

in conclusion, the t20 has more or less failed the test of time, and other tanks can do most things better than the t20. if i were to suggest a buff for this tank, i would go for a rate of fire buff to at least 8 rounds a minute(7.5s reload) from the current 7.5 rounds a minute(8s reload). it's not much, but it's enough to make the t20 more competitive while also making it a bit more of the "jack of all trades" style of american tanks. nonetheless, i still love the t20 and i will keep playing it for what is likely going to be a very long time(or maybe until the chinese meds come out).

- observations from a noob newb with 1100+ battles in the t20

Edited by Negaclaw, 09 October 2016 - 10:25 PM.

shoot ur skeet and hit that yeet

TheChattaHooligan #2 Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:18 PM

CHATTAAAAA NOOGAAAAA

• Players
  • 13926 battles
  • [BFBTW]
I use the top gun on the lttb, it's nice being able to pen defenders from the front without prammo. The t20 is the perfect peekaboom tank, and while it is getting powercreeped, it's still a great tank

"Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" -Admiral Farragut

VonMiller58 #3 Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:20 PM

Chicken Farmer

• Players
  • 33870 battles
  • [JFGF]

" new tanks such as the type 62(dat camo), the rudy(dat dpm), the lttb(dat mobility), the edelweiss(dat gun mantlet) and the very soon coming dracula(dat MOBILITY!!!) "

nice descriptions...I have no idea about the 20

top gun on LTTB is heavy, heavy is reliable, heavy is good

o...:...:I:...:...o

KempBushThe3rd #4 Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:23 PM

my words sometimes mean things

• Players
  • 23663 battles
  • [MAPLE]

Buff the RoF to 8, because it is okay to go back to 7.87 RoF after you move to tier 8 with the Pershing. :sceptic:

I don't think it needs much of a buff, but if they do buff it, I think turret armor buff would be best.

luci_tide #5 Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:34 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19648 battles
T20 is to this day one of my personal favorites and while I am not opposed to it being buffed I don't think it is needed. It is simply the nature of the game to have some tanks better then others. That being said maybe some changes to map design to encourage wider variety of tanks that can be played would be perfect. 

-VB- Head Coach/Caller/Recruiter DM me for anything VB related

Niikemi_MKIV #6 Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:40 PM

20% accurate, as usual

• Players
  • 17250 battles
  • [ONE]

Ahh the T20... While this is definitelly not the best medium in it's tier it still has a lot going for it, part of it are:

- Good flexibility and mobility;

- Great versatility due to its -10 degrees of gun dep;

- Above average view range;

- Alpha is also above average;

- Good camo ratings(as you mentioned, low-profile);

So, this tank kind of gives you a lesson on "Mediums 101", which is shooting while not being shot.

Its great versatility gives you a great advantage in hilly areas, its view range does 1001 wonders(feel free to rock binocs or coated optics).

Also, there's a legendary T20 guide that legit not only made me go from 20% winrate to 60%, but also had me put it as one of my favorite mediums in the game. Here's the link.

Special thanks to LkASr! :honoring:

"It requires great courage to look at oneself honestly, and forge one's own path..."

fishygamer212 #7 Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:16 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11890 battles

View PostTheChattaHooligan, on 09 October 2016 - 04:18 PM, said:

I use the top gun on the lttb, it's nice being able to pen defenders from the front without prammo. The t20 is the perfect peekaboom tank, and while it is getting powercreeped, it's still a great tank

View PostVonMiller58, on 09 October 2016 - 04:20 PM, said:

" new tanks such as the type 62(dat camo), the rudy(dat dpm), the lttb(dat mobility), the edelweiss(dat gun mantlet) and the very soon coming dracula(dat MOBILITY!!!) "

nice descriptions...I have no idea about the 20

top gun on LTTB is heavy, heavy is reliable, heavy is good

Aye:honoring:

Spoiler

Professional Light Tank Player  Winner

I like light tanks

BobaFett_56 #8 Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:55 PM

Mandalorian Bounty Hunter

• Players
  • 47487 battles
  • [-DR-]

Like the old saying T20 is old but still has got it where it counts. I used it quite recently to grind up to Pershing and was very pleasantly surprised by how easy grind to Pershing was. All too often you see noobs running around in T20 so you never realize that in good hands it's quite a good tank. Same with Pershing, old does not always mean outdated on here, except for things like T28 and T95 lol.

michaeltsoon #9 Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:24 PM

No.1 Gold-Slinging Unicum

• Players
  • 39713 battles

+1 for the analysation and your time put into it, but I think buffing its RoF to 8 makes it OP AF. Perhaps a slight buff to RoF, APCR pen to 250 (on par with Dragon HEAT) and mobility buff will do good?

EDIT: Oh, and a sligghtt buff to turret traverse

Summary:

-Slight mobility buff

-slight RoF buff

-APCR pen buff to 250

-1/2 degrees of turret traverse buff

Administrative Officer of [HATED] - Hated for a reason.

Founder of [PZ3] - Always Loyal, Always Fighting, Always Courageous. PZ3 will carry!

My stats

Also tagged with t20, power creep

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users