200th Post Mediums Guides skills Tactics

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

jensen215_ #1 Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:47 PM

Scientia Potentia Est

• Players
  • 13160 battles
  • [IMPR]

You know what tank I find is the most challenging to play and makes you think the most mediums. How a medium plays is based completely on how the match is going. To do a complete breakdown of all of the many tactics used by mediums would be madness. I will break it down into three easy to understand groups of tactics and then break it down from there. Please be aware that not all mediums will use these tactics and may lean more towards heavy tactics (ex. Super Pershing).

Flanker

Flanking is engaging an enemy from their vulnerable sides or rear while another player on you team engages them from the front. Flanking is the core of Russian mediums due to their speed and maneuverability and high ROF.  Although any tank with enough speed can execute flanking. There is different categories of flanking also :

Flank and Spank : engage an enemy from the side or rear while a teammate shoots the enemy in the front. Repeat until dead.

Flank and Distract : Force enemy to point his gun at you allowing another a teammate to shoot and not be shot at

Flank and track : Flank a TD or slow moving tank and track them to stop them from moving allowing teammates to move around them and get side shots.

Circle of Death : Continuously move in a circle around an enemy firing till the target is eliminated

Sniper

Some mediums such as the Germans are excellent at sniping. For a medium tank to qualify as a potential sniper it must have decent accuracy. If you have a medium with horrible shell dispersion do not attempt sniping. There is tips and different ways with sniping as a medium. 

Static Sniping : Basically find yourself a vantage point and  shoot at what comes into your range. Use this if your the only person who has the shot and you are sure that if need be you can get into battle. But, move with the battle and if a friendly TD is there close the distance to the target and engage in flanking.

Mobile Sniping : Once a target is spotted, wait to be full aimed and then shoot. After shooting continue moving on to avoid retaliation. Use this tactic to get shots off at a target while closing the distance to them or to pick off multiple targets. 

Dos and Don'ts

Do - Take shots at enemies if they are lit up

Do - Aim for weak spots on a tank

Do - Shoot when enemy is distracted

Do - Aim for targets with low armor or health

Don't - Use APCR, it loses penetration with distance traveled.

Don't - Stay back and camp the whole game

Don't - Static Snipe while there are friendly TDs nearby, that's their job.

Don't - Use this against heavily armored target, your just wasting ammo

Don't - Snipe with a derp gun

Don't - Snipe against an enemy TD who is looking right at you

Scout

If you are bottom tier or it is close to the end of the match use your speed and go scout. Any tank which has a relatively good speed can do this. There is also different types of scouting which you can use.

Aggressive Scouting : Make a bee line for the enemy, constantly swerving and executing erratic maneuvers. Do this when passive scouting fails. But remember your goal is to find the enemy and live to tell the tale not to go suis-scouting.

Static Scouting : Move up to a vantage point with bushes and sit there and wait for enemies to come by. Once they do, do not move, if your 6th sense light bulb goes off get out of there. 

Passive Scouting : A combination of the two above. First go locate a good spotting position with bush cover. Stay there for about 30 seconds. Move up to another location. Repeat this till the enemy are spotted or if you 6th sense goes off. If 6th sense goes off relocate to previous position.

Other Tactics

Some tactics listed here are specialized and not all mediums may be able to do them or they require a specific situation for them to work.

Hull Down : American mediums have excellent turret armor and gun depression. This allows them to have just their turret poking out from an area and bounce shots of their turret while still being able to fire back. Russian mediums can also do this but lack gun depression. 

Anti-Scout - If early in the game a scout breaks through your teams lines and goes for lightly armored targets. A fast enough medium can chase after it, track it and then destroy it before it reaches 

Assassin - Go out and hunt for tanks with the lowest amount of health. Picking them off from far away or close in for the kill.

Flexing : Moving from one part of the map to another to support another flank or stop base cap. To know when and how to do this is the hallmark of a good medium player.

Things to keep in mind as a medium 

Don't stop moving while engaged in combat. Your speed is your primary advantage over others. Use it and abuse it.

Don't think you have armor. Pretend that any shot which hits you will penetrate you. Use your agility to dodge shots and outmaneuver enemies.

Aim to cripple and kill. Learn where to shoot enemies to make the less effective in combat. Learn what spots are easily penetrated. Know your enemy.

Situational awareness. Be aware of where you are, where your enemies are. Check the mini map often. Move to a new position as necessary. Know how much health your enemy has. See if your team or the enemy is capping the base. 

Be smart. If one thing is not working try doing something else. If you are confronted by an large enemy force retreat to allies. 

Mediums may be really fun to play. But remember they are not easy mode. If you don't think while using one, you will be destroyed quickly. If you do think while using a medium you can carry.

Edited by jensen215_, 27 October 2014 - 08:05 PM.

Commander of The Imperium

We Will Rise Again, The Empire is dead, long live the Empire, The Imperium has risen

Carry a noob and he will have victory for a battle teach a man to carry and he will lead to domination        

MLFSiS1.png

Click on the CWG Game Guru tag for my Guides

Asiaticus #2 Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:00 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 16340 battles
  • [III-S]
Nice summary. Thanks.

_TheMessiah #3 Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:07 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22902 battles
:izmena:Challenging How you have to be better than the enemy med .

jensen215_ #4 Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:08 PM

Scientia Potentia Est

• Players
  • 13160 battles
  • [IMPR]
If any of you want to ask me questions about this send me a PM or hit me up in-game. 

Edited by jensen215_, 27 October 2014 - 06:09 PM.

We Will Rise Again, The Empire is dead, long live the Empire, The Imperium has risen

Carry a noob and he will have victory for a battle teach a man to carry and he will lead to domination        

MLFSiS1.png

Unitater #5 Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:37 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22189 battles
Very nice guide +1

All tier Xs acquired. Professional premium tank collector for WoTB.

Please check out my youtubeYOUTUBE CHANNEL!

Links to my guides can be found on my about me page (on profile)

Casual tanker, forum user, and pledge signer

_Tenshi #6 Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:44 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 18107 battles
  • [RBLN]

OP, thank you, THANK YOU, your explanation.......is awesome:biggrin:! This is indeed helpful for those who are new to the game, excluding those who played PC before. But still, this is indeed a reliable guide! +1 from me!

*Ps: Sorry for being a grammar nazi, but there are some grammar error on your guide....

- Stats? Don't be lazy and take a look see here! -

thunderthies #7 Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:33 AM

Not a Hoax

• Club Wargaming
  • 14051 battles
Very well put together guide. Thanks! 

Check out:   WoTB terms, phrases defined v. 2.0

Check out:    iMovie iOS video production tutorial

Check out:           WoTB beginner's guide, tactics

Check out:                   WoTB YouTube channels

fugu_face #8 Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:57 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5268 battles
A ability to change what you're doing on the fly helps as well. Anyways, nice guide! 

Proud community pledge signer

The master of extreme ping

Medium addict and gold spammer

"This brew is making me belch flame, hey I could use that!"

furrywombat101001 #9 Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:22 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 36617 battles
  • [-DD-]
Really great guide! So much respect for people who take the time to do this.

Goat_Rodeo #10 Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:23 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11954 battles
  • [III-X]
:great:Very well thought out guide! This should be in any new players forum section as it would save them about 500 or so battles of learning vs. unbridled rage and cussing!

goat_rodeo_leo_eng.jpeg

VICTIM OF THE GREAT 3.H8 BELARUSIAN THROW OF 2017. 

#NOTMYUPDATE 

jtemple507 #11 Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8582 battles
+1 excellent guide! Make sure to point out that there are some mediums (like the Lee) that should be used as a mobile TD and not a medium.

Grinding Modules (order of research plan): ST-I (engine)SU-100 (guns, tracks, SU-100M1)

Grinding XP For Next Tier: T32 (108.8k of 169k)Centurion I (123.4k of 165k)VK2801 (24.5k of 50.8k)

Premiums/Keeper Tanks: IS-6, Panzer IV Anko SPType 59

Grinding credits for: IS-8T-54E75T28 Proto

jensen215_ #12 Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:52 PM

Scientia Potentia Est

• Players
  • 13160 battles
  • [IMPR]
I will be going up the british med line soon so expect this to be updated if I find anything major

MLFSiS1.png

Felixyifan #13 Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:35 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4956 battles
  • [TANK]

View Postchowpow531, on 27 October 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

OP, thank you, THANK YOU, your explanation.......is awesome:biggrin:! This is indeed helpful for those who are new to the game, excluding those who played PC before. But still, this is indeed a reliable guide! +1 from me!

*Ps: Sorry for being a grammar nazi, but there are some grammar error on your guide....

*errors :3

Tanks in Garage:

Tier VIII: IS-3, ISU-152, T-32, Pershing

Tier VII: T-43, T25AT, Tiger I, Panther I, JPanther

Tier IV: Covenanter

Tier III: M3 Light, Pz. Kpfw. 38 (t)

jensen215_ #14 Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:41 PM

Scientia Potentia Est

• Players
  • 13160 battles
  • [IMPR]
Just bumping all of my guides. I hope the right people read these!

MLFSiS1.png

KimJongSpoon #15 Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:35 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10561 battles
  • [WT]
Nice guide! +1:P

Tier 10s: E100, FV4202, FV215b, Death Star, Mighty Maus, E50M, T110E4, 

Check out our YouTube Channel: WoTeam

Favorite tanks: Both FVs, Panther II, VK 30.01 D, Pz. III/IV, T49, T-34-85 Victory, Comet

jensen215_ #16 Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:17 PM

Scientia Potentia Est

• Players
  • 13160 battles
  • [IMPR]
Bumping in hopes of helping those suffering form spring noobs.

MLFSiS1.png

blindsniper74 #17 Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:56 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 40903 battles
  • [III-R]
Thanks Jensen.  Nice article. Glad you bumped it.

ironrod60 #18 Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:06 PM

Private

• Players
  • 5679 battles
  • [WR103]
I've gone full potato in my e8 after doing very well initially. The tactics almost always backfire. I'm either last or second to last when the tactics do succeed. Mostly I get out out flanked when I try to flank or I'm tool late for the fun or I get there only to be in the middle of 5 destroyed allies and 5 fully functional enemies. It seems that I am making no difference at all. At this rate I'll have no credits in a few days. I am tempted to blame mm for pairing me with idiots ALL the time but I know that isn't true. I get about 19 fps consistently and I use a full android kindle 8.9 HD.Does anything stand out as errors in my play or is this just the learning curve?

billsheros #19 Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:37 AM

Private

• Players
  • 5993 battles

Why do red tank disappear? How can they shot when you can't see them? I have been killed when I can see the enemy,I'm doing good when I'm hit I can't see the enemy

is it me or is that a bug in the game ,how can I disappear?

Phodilus #20 Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:05 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 18291 battles
  • [STG-L]

View Postbillsheros, on 08 April 2015 - 04:37 AM, said:

Why do red tank disappear? How can they shot when you can't see them? I have been killed when I can see the enemy,I'm doing good when I'm hit I can't see the enemy

is it me or is that a bug in the game ,how can I disappear?

Look up camo rating and spotting mechanics on the wiki

Currently in the garage: IS, T-43, LTTB, M3 Light, LTP, KV-2, IS-7, Panzerkampfwagen III, Panzerkampfwagen II Luchs, Leopard, T2 Light, T7 Combat Car, STB-1, Panzer IV Ankō, Dracula

"IS is best S!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users