26 replies to this topic

jensen215_ #21 Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:01 PM

Scientia Potentia Est

• Players
  • 13400 battles
  • [IMPR]
Bumping in hopes someone will learn from this

Commander of The Imperium

We Will Rise Again, The Empire is dead, long live the Empire, The Imperium has risen

Carry a noob and he will have victory for a battle teach a man to carry and he will lead to domination        

MLFSiS1.png

Click on the CWG Game Guru tag for my Guides

Echladion #22 Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:01 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 11258 battles
  • [KNGHT]

I found this a huge help. I have mainly played TDs and Heavies. TDs are my favorite to be honest, but as I realized I appreciated the more mobile ones the most I decided to give mediums a try (not counting the low tier mediums I had to go through).

My foray down the Panther line was a disgrace. I am now trying US mediums (loved the Shermans, hate the T20, love the Patton), and am trying the Leopard line and doing way better than my run towards the Panther and E50. 

I really do have the mindset of drive your beast in and brawl... so just learning to never stop moving has been a challenge. I need to work on the mindset of 'I have no armor'.

Outside of this game, in the real world, I have done both armored and non-armored martial art combat sports. And truth be told I much prefered armored... I'd gladly take a hit to my armored body if it meant being able to return a bigger/more painful one. Seems that's carried to this game. ;)

Anyway, I love the details of this guide and how it breaks down the different roles in particular. I'll keep reading and keep learning. I figure if I can get my 30% win rate after 1000 battles to over 50% by 4000, playing almost exclusively German cats, VKs and TDs then maybe there is hope I can learn mediums too. :)

Thanks for this guide and to everyone who takes the time to document, make videos and generally improve the quality of play in the game.

Parcifal (Fvon) Osterreich (Friedrich Parcifal von Österreich)

Toujours l'audace! - Always audacity!

Fac quod faciendum est. - Do what must be done.

tlouie #23 Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9642 battles
  • [TAT]
This is a great writeup for defining the identify of medium tanks. When I first started playing, I used either very nimble lights, or deadly heavies. Unfortunately, both extremes had their individual tradeoff.  I looked towards the mediums as better armed "light" tanks, or as quicker moving "heavy" tanks.

Which is totally not the best way to play mediums.

So thanks for explaining the medium tank's reason for being.

Integrity125 #24 Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:59 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3457 battles
Most skilled medium drivers i come across do things by feel And experience. A lot of the dos and fonts they do are subconscious. Not to say that thinking and learning are useless... Quite the opposite actually... But i think that the best way to improve is to play play play.

Class II Closed Beta Tester

Community Pledge Signer

Tier Xs: IS-7. I know I know. I'm working on getting more.

"The object of a fight is not to win. It is to give your opponent no choice but to lose."

dont_open_dead_inside #25 Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:08 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11614 battles
  • [SPUDX]
What the heck is gun depression?

f9Yj0xl.gif

Davedt #26 Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:21 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21178 battles
  • [_OPS_]

View Postchowpow531, on 27 October 2014 - 07:44 PM, said:

OP, thank you, THANK YOU, your explanation.......is awesome:biggrin:! This is indeed helpful for those who are new to the game, excluding those who played PC before. But still, this is indeed a reliable guide! +1 from me!

*Ps: Sorry for being a grammar nazi, but there are some grammar error on your guide....

Speaking as a historian and social studies educator who is constantly required to write; poor syntax, grammar and spelling can unconsciously diminish the effectiveness of even the best article. Always proofread and review your work. Having said that; I found this guide so informative, I think I read it at least three times! :medal:

Lephturn #27 Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:27 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 22431 battles
  • [III-S]

View Postdogfightmaster03, on 08 September 2015 - 12:08 AM, said:

What the heck is gun depression?

Basically, how many degrees downward from horizontal you can point your gun barrel. It is important because the ground is often not flat, and you may be rolling up a slight incline on a hill and want to shoot the enemy on the other side. If you can point your gun down 10 degrees below horizontal you can peak over that hill and have just your turret and gun showing, shoot the enemy, and retreat without exposing most of your tank to enemy fire. If you are in a tank with only 6 degrees of gun depression (Russian mediums) you may not be able to point your gun down far enough to actually hit the enemy. Your only choice may be to roll up onto the crest of the hill and tip your tank over it in order to get your gun on the enemy's hull - but when you do that you expose your entire tank including your weak lower frontal plate to the enemy and are very likely to be damaged.

Also tanks with more gun depression are more forgiving in terms of map knowledge. With low gun depression you must have extremely good knowledge of every ridge, bump, hollow, and undulation in every map lest you get stuck in a position where the enemy can shoot you but you can only fire harmlessly over their head. For this reason some tank lines like Russian mediums and Russian Heavies in the IS-7 line are a poor choice unless you have extremely good map knowledge and lots of experience.

Lephturn Triarii Signature Media Producer

Host of the World of Tanks Blitz podcast TANK BOOM!

Search for "tank boom" on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud or your podcast player of choice!

Android user? Get the Tank Boom! App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tank.boom

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users