Damage vs. Winning

what is more important?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Damage vs. Winning (54 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 5 battle in order to participate this poll.

Do you focus on winning or damage?

1. Winning! (36 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Damage! (18 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Hide poll

Posit1ve_ #1 Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:13 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 61969 battles
  • [_V_]

The way I see it, there are two primary philosophies when it comes to "git gud" in WoT & WoT Blitz.

1. Focus all efforts on winning the battle; Damage, survival, spots, etc. will come with winning

2. Focus all efforts on dealing damage; Winning will come with more damage

Which do you believe in? Why?

-I personally believe in the damage philosophy now, but that's my skrub opinion.

336 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

LtPork #2 Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:17 PM

Why can't I shoot green tanks?

• Players
  • 22859 battles
  • [DFNT]
Winning doesn't necessarily come with more damage. For example, you could farm damage off an AFK at full health and get a massive boost to your damage done, but you could be neglecting a "teammate" or platoonmate that needs help. The risk with tunneling on more damage is potentially losing the match. 

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: https://www.youtube....6k28UAEZ7UgGIBg

Proud owner of the IS-6 Fearless

gargoyle_2200 #3 Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:23 PM

The Garg

• Players
  • 14557 battles
  • [SRT_]
I love damage but I like winning better. Therefore I will do what it takes to win. Often times that coincides nicely with my desire to do lots of damage. Other times, not so much. Passive spotting, absorbing hits because you can't shoot without taking hits, relocating and other things make it so you get less damage short term in exchange for a win and potentially higher damage long term. 

___Chimera #4 Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:24 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26707 battles
  • [PRAMO]

I voted for winning, but there are pros and cons to both, so I'm kinda neutral when it comes to this.

Winning a lot but having low average damage points to the fact that you’re lucky enough to have a team that’s good enough to carry you all the time, or your platoon rate is EXTREMELY high (70%+). None of these are particularly bad, but they reduce your effectiveness in situations where it’s just you or you and a couple nubs against the majority of the enemy team. High win rate but low damage may also point to the average player driving a lot of lights and mediums, which require a more active role in battle, such as spotting for the team. Is also a red flag warning of the act called seal-clubbing.

Having a high average damage but low win rate points to camping, or a reliance on Tank Destroyer tactics (regardless of whether the player is in a TD or not). This says you are more passive than is required. It may also point to an inability to carry hard enough (my problem right there) in a situation that requires it.

Of course unicums solve the problem by being able to do both effectively and efficiently.

Edited by Darkest_Flame, 13 October 2016 - 04:25 PM.

Mmmm, I like fishyysss...

ahredstealth #5 Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:27 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 19022 battles
  • [SPUD]

Um... neither...

Don't take damage, stay alive, do damage to Reds while you focus on the first two aspects.

Today I went to the bathroom and forgot my phone.

There are 256 tiles in the bathroom...

FlammeumDraco333 #6 Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:30 PM

18 Y.O. Boomer

• Players
  • 15306 battles
  • [META]
Winning with low damage gives you more rewards than losing with high damage.

View PostSystemrename, on 03 February 2015 - 04:06 PM, said:

Whatever, since people seem content with the plain oleophobic coating and dragging their meaty, calloused workman's thumbs around like proto-lizards sliding up out of the primordial ooze onto dry land, it's just more for me.  I'm happy to float on fiber and run circles around you filthy casuals. Eat my dust, snail thumbs.

Sauce

If þou hæst ane anime līcnesse, þīne opinīoun mēneþ no-þing.

BobaFett_56 #7 Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:32 PM

Mandalorian Bounty Hunter

• Players
  • 44425 battles
  • [ANIME]

It can be a tricky equation for example if I can do continuous damage to enemy and get a massive damage total then often it can be a win, but there are times where you must choose take a kill shot on dangerous tank that has barely any HP left lefts he has 15 hp, then another tank nearby you could pound away at for extra damage. In this case I do the kill shot then I take on the damaging other guy,

But just recklessly sitting there doing damage can be bad idea, you need to know when proper times to relocate or duck into cover are so you can stay alive and kill more tanks so you win. But then again if I get caught in no escape situation instead of a failed attempt at running I will just see how much damage I can do and maybe how many of them can die and strangely enough I have lived though such situations granted just barely at times but still lol.

Now with some TDs and if you have good platoon partner then sometimes your job will be to use your high shot damage to put enemies near death while your friend makes the kill shots if he has a medium tank or something this setup I have done few times too and it leads to wins since why waste shots on basically dead targets when you can take most of the HP of the next target?

gargoyle_2200 #8 Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:43 PM

The Garg

• Players
  • 14557 battles
  • [SRT_]

View PostDarkest_Flame, on 13 October 2016 - 09:24 AM, said:

I voted for winning, but there are pros and cons to both, so I'm kinda neutral when it comes to this.

Winning a lot but having low average damage points to the fact that you’re lucky enough to have a team that’s good enough to carry you all the time, or your platoon rate is EXTREMELY high (70%+). None of these are particularly bad, but they reduce your effectiveness in situations where it’s just you or you and a couple nubs against the majority of the enemy team. High win rate but low damage may also point to the average player driving a lot of lights and mediums, which require a more active role in battle, such as spotting for the team. Is also a red flag warning of the act called seal-clubbing.

Having a high average damage but low win rate points to camping, or a reliance on Tank Destroyer tactics (regardless of whether the player is in a TD or not). This says you are more passive than is required. It may also point to an inability to carry hard enough (my problem right there) in a situation that requires it.

Of course unicums solve the problem by being able to do both effectively and efficiently.

Heh, my toon rate is 78%. :teethhappy:

___Chimera #9 Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:46 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26707 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View Postgargoyle_2200, on 13 October 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

Well, that’s discounted because you’re not part of the high win rate low damage group, or the high damage but low win rate group. You’re instead part of that third group; unicums!!!!!

Mmmm, I like fishyysss...

Viper8757NC #10 Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:52 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26176 battles
  • [III-S]

I side with Ricky Bobby--“if you ain’t first you’re last."

Win.

VikkoTheTusken #11 Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:28 PM

URoRRuR'R'R

• Players
  • 19235 battles
  • [III-H]

I'm a firm believer in SirHavoc's philosophy that if you:

(In order)

A. Stay Alive

B. Do damage

C. Get Kills

...you'll tend to win more

I'm no Unicum but my blue stats support my argument.

Rage Quit? Bad Teams? MM got you down? Click HERE for my Blitz Guide to better tanking

Twitter     Facebook     YouTube

My presence here on the forums is over. You can find me at the links above and on various Discord servers. If you're curious or feel like trolling, peruse [This Thread]

reluctanttheist #12 Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:32 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 27610 battles
  • [III-H]
I realize a lot of games that I'm not the guy who did the most damage, because I'm keeping an eye open for flankers or low-health tanks.  Removing guns from the reds or minimizing distractions doesn't get you big numbers, but it does help get the wins.

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

VonMiller58 #13 Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:36 PM

Chicken Farmer

• Players
  • 33498 battles
  • [JFGF]

I spend many a game just distracting/stalling for my team and end up with average to low damage.  I do this because I see it as a way to win the game, because the battle has evolved and that is my read.

I usually do this in VK28 or another speeder...I will even fire or reveal camo and duck away just to keep turrets turned and then type to my teammates to move in as I distract.

I get much satisfaction from these types of games...W is everything for me.

o...:...:I:...:...o

VonMiller58 #14 Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:48 PM

Chicken Farmer

• Players
  • 33498 battles
  • [JFGF]

View Postgargoyle_2200, on 13 October 2016 - 04:43 PM, said:

1.7%

o...:...:I:...:...o

SgtFreemanCdn2014 #15 Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:53 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 32242 battles
  • [-CFE-]

Winning is more things - teamwork, spotting enemy, doing damage, protecting your tank, keeping your gun in the game, taking out their weak tanks, taking a bullet for a teammate with low HP, etc.  Doing lots of damage and being top of your team list when you lose a 7-0 butt whupping is not that rewarding....  dying early and doing only a bit of damage on a team win isn't that rewarding either. But doing lots of damage, being alive at the end, and getting that "W", now there is something to smile about.  So I vote damage and winning:)

Cheers (but I really voted winning)

j0nn0 #16 Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:32 PM

F2P Skrub

• Players
  • 19810 battles
  • [XREGS]

My strategy is totally reliant on match setup. I generally go for highest dmg output possible, but I will charge in head long if it means taking out one tank for a flanked green to to distract a red. Teamwork is key because if you let your allies die, you're also likely dead without support. If I can't run, I'll sit and focus on dmg output, but I'm all for running to reloacate and hit the next second. In the end, I just have to trust in my team to not get themselves killed as I do my best to support.

There's a time to camp, a time to charge, a time to turtle, and a time to run the heck away. It's up to you to figure out what time it is.

I may have a few too many tanks. I think I was over 150 in garage by last count.

javajoejava #17 Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:46 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21114 battles

If you want to learn what STATISTICALLY matters the most (based on fact, not gut), check out this thread:

http://forum.wotblit...te-to-win-rate/

Clan: Teufel Hunden Devil Dogs [DD]

Favorite Lines: British and Russian Mediums

When I Feel Like Being a Bully: Tier 3 Kenny, American Heavies, ST-I, Russian KV4, AT15/Tortoise or a Comet Platoon with a Super Unicum

Tier X:  OBJ 268 | T110E5 | T62A | IS-4  (all mastered)

_Crusader6_ #18 Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:54 PM

Angry Mod

• Players
  • 68436 battles
  • [DEF]

View Postjavajoejava, on 13 October 2016 - 01:46 PM, said:

If you want to learn what STATISTICALLY matters the most (based on fact, not gut), check out this thread:

http://forum.wotblit...te-to-win-rate/

why use math when one can wholly uneducated opinionate. ;)

Edited by __Crusader6__, 13 October 2016 - 06:54 PM.

Tank Hoarder: 406 tanks in Garage:  422/422 Played Tanks Aced

NON LINE OF SIGHT MISSILES ARE AN AWFUL MECHANIC 

Wallet Warrior: Loyal Original M60 owner

DoNotCry #19 Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:59 PM

Sensha-dou Sensei

• Players
  • 45366 battles
  • [_V2_]
I chose damage(teamwork damage), because imo damage is a key role to winning. Of course, it would require teamwork to get the most damage. What i mean teamwork damage is that the damage you dealt has to be good for the entire team. Either it is an supportive damage or team-focus destructive damage. I have seen so many non-crucial damage from bad plays. For example, shooting AFK players while an active enemy as pounding on your teammate who needed your help. Your shots would have saved your teammate. Also, it is depending on what role you play. For example, scout should stay alive and spot the enemy. Doing damage as a scout is also crucial because it can give the team diversion tactics safely. I will not go into every tank roles. 

awesomeplayer9690 #20 Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 29888 battles
  • [NORTH]

Damage.

If you do enough damage, you win. You can't win without enough damage (unless cap).

"The greatest gift is time. Giving time is giving away part of your life that you'll never get back." - Anonymous

"Can't get ammo-racked if I bring no ammo"

[HOW TO] Stat Signature |

Also tagged with what, is, more, important?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users