rage noobs pubs streaks loss

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

jensen215_ #1 Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:23 AM

Scientia Potentia Est

• Players
  • 13160 battles
  • [IMPR]

This is a discussion about the concept of being "On Tilt" in World of Tanks Blitz. I think it's important to explore this concept because it can have adverse effects on the enjoyment of the gameplay. This is also more directed at players that are more proactive in their self-evaluation and assessments after each game - but it can apply to any player. I've not seen this term being used here, so maybe "Tilt" can be used as nomenclature to describe "abnormal game performance".

What is Tilt?

Tilt is originally a poker term used to describe a competent player beginning to perform well below his capability after a bad game or two. Tilt is caused by emotional frustration clouding the judgement of an otherwise calm and consistent player. The resulting emotional response results in increasingly aggressive play, frustration and pessimism - which ends in an irreparable losing streak.

Why is Tilt relevant to World of Tanks Blitz?

World of Tanks is inherently a competitive game, where you engage other individuals in pixel tank combat. AFKers notwithstanding, this means that you are essentially pitting yourself against human beings that are governed by emotional reactions. As many of you know, the actions of a few can really swing the influence of a match - especially those players that place a high value on good winning performances. As such, the higher your own expectations of your own performance - the greater the effects of tilt that you will potentially experience. So here are my own observed qualities of tilt:

• Tilt is relative, depending on a tanker's individual self-expectation of what is considered to be "normal performance/expectations" (ie: damage done per game, WR)
  • Tilt is governed by an emotional response to a situation, and is triggered by an event outside of normal expectations (usually a very bad round of tanks).
  • Tilt is a downward spiral that continues to get progressively worse until corrective measure are undertaken (ie: Loss streaks exceeding five or more)

Even the best players suffer from tilt - except the better performers will know how to mitigate the effects of tilt itself (more on that later). Hence, this concept is important because everyone has the potential to suffer from it - and will find the consequences on their stats and enjoyment adversely affected.

Am I on Tilt, or are the players just bad?

The most important thing is to recognize whether or not you may be on tilt to begin with. The pilot can't pull out of a stall over the ocean at night if he doesn't have the instruments to assist him out of the uncontrollable dive. So in essence, you'll have to calibrate your own instruments to determine whether or not you may be experiencing a negative/destructive emotional response to a particularly bad round. Players being bad is something you will have to do your best to compensate for - and the blame will almost always fall to the random players on your team. Some of it is due to actual fail by your team, personal ego or even partly affected by mild symptoms of FG_'s Dunning-Kruger effect. This is just a normal function of the human brain, but let's focus on some tilt symptoms:

Symptoms

• Nasty streak: Losing more than five games in a row
  • Unnatural aggression: Opting to rush the enemy in situations, taking unnecessary hull damage to hasten the game and take a quick win at all costs
  • Scapegoating: Exponentially angered by the actions of the platmates/allies, even though they are not doing anything particularly wrong
  • Self-Loathing: Performed below self-assigned damage threshold
  • Loss of Control: "Ah who cares, clearly everything is down to luck anyway! my losses so far prove that!". Player stops trying because he believes he cannot recover from the losses.

As from the list above, those are based on my personal observations - but I invite everyone to add to the symptoms. We've also experienced at least one, two or more of the symptoms of tilt - because a lot of the forum warriors tend to be more sensitive and alert to their own game performance. As I've just covered the symptoms, let us explore some of the potential triggers of tilt in our server:

Triggers

• Time of day: Playing very early in the morning or extremely late results in poor MM (and randoms). Losses incurred have high chances to make the player experience Loss of Control.
  • Stamina levels: Playing whilst tired and fatigued results in a shorter temper fuse and poorer acceptance of mistakes. Seeing a lemming when we're tired makes us a lot angrier than when well-rested.
  • Harsh self-expectations: Playing with a high damage benchmark or Win rate makes it easier for you to move into Scapegoating and Self-Loathing when something goes awry.
  • Guilty dive: Failure to carry a game, failure to cover a platoon mate, or missing easy shots (RNG, curse you!) can result in a tilt trigger. Especially if the person feels they have failed a platoon mate.
  • TauntingDoesn't often occur with the mature performers here, but taunting and inciting can lure solid players to deviate from their usual game-plan. This can result in an unexpected loss.

How about some suggested ways we can mitigate tilt?

Methods of mitigating Tilt

Thinking about this section, I realized that it depends on the player's own preparation and steps they take to win a match. It also demands that the individual is honest and self-aware about their own emotional thresholds. Just how reactive and proactive are you in ensuring you don't fall into the trap of Tilt Spiral?

Reactive Measures

• Stop Playing"Maybe the next game I will win for sure!" No, just close the app and do something else. Clear your mind and re-approach the game after you've calmed down.
  • Analyzing Gameplay: Take a good look if you were using a non-optimal strategy. Yes you got top damage, but did you sacrifice map control to do so? What adjustments should be made?
  • Venting Anger: You have to take out and manage that frustration somehow. Some people seal club in loltraktors and some move on to other games. Find a way that works for you.

Proactive Measures

• Reasonable Goals: Don't go into a day with unreasonable expectations, increase your goal milestones step by step. 
  • Maximum Loss Thresholds: Set a personal "You shall not pass!" barrier of losses. Be fair, if you lose five games - then make a commitment to take a break and do something else.
  • Positive Mindset: Make the best out of a situation, and play your hardest - tilts are a temporary phenomena. Platoon if that helps you maintain a more social and relaxed mindset.

I know this is an explosion of words here, but I would like to know what you guys think about applying the concept of tilt to World of Tanks Blitz - and if you believe it is a relevant phenomena in this game. I also invite additions to not only the symptoms of tilt, but also ways to mitigate tilt based on your experience in battles.

I did not write this, I merely adapted the article so that it would be relevant to Blitz

Here is the original article  http://forum.worldof...world-of-tanks/

Thank you for your Time

Edited by jensen215_, 29 October 2014 - 01:17 AM.

Commander of The Imperium

We Will Rise Again, The Empire is dead, long live the Empire, The Imperium has risen

Carry a noob and he will have victory for a battle teach a man to carry and he will lead to domination        

MLFSiS1.png

Click on the CWG Game Guru tag for my Guides

instant_karma_ #2 Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:33 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 23895 battles
  • [-MM]
Hmm, I never seem to have that problem 

Augustus_Sohn #3 Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:34 AM

The rent-a-cop

• Players
  • 13358 battles
  • [III-H]

Interesting viewpoint. Worth consideration.

WHO NEEDS ARTY WHEN YOU’VE GOT RNG TO MAGICALLY SCREW YOU?

charlie9797 #4 Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:35 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 5703 battles
I do lol

T2 Light =  T34T18 = T82 = M36 Jackson = Pz.38(t) nA = Tiger (P)  = E50=  E75 = Jagdtiger M3 Lend Lease = T-44 Cromwell

Tier Xs - E100

wow

LAPPELduvide #5 Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:41 AM

PhD in Dakimakura Engineering and Design M.S. in Waifu Studies

• Players
  • 24316 battles
  • [ANEKI]

:angry:Great article dude, I've dealt with tilt many times before 

┬┴┬┴┤ (◕ᴗ◕✿├┬┴┬┴┤(ಠ﹏ಠ├┬┴┬

>>>Join [MAHOU/ANEKI] Discord!!!<<<

Best ANIME CLAN in the NA and a nice community for weebs. 

2W0ngF0o #6 Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:43 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2136 battles
Interesting read.  I haven't heard the term Tilt around here until now.  But it would make sense that Tilt can occur in any game, so why not WOT Blitz. 

Closed Beta Tester

Community Pledge Signer

_ENO_ #7 Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:49 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Tilt to me relates more to pinball... When you're turning the machine upside down to get the ball to move where you want. No idea of the poker term but when I'm thinking tilt I'm thinking I'm about to ram my iPad through the world- 

all the the same rules apply. Not a bad little article on the subject of stepping away when spending 300+ dollars on a new device actually sounds like the better of two options. 

NCRranger24 #8 Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:09 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 2123 battles
Tilt sounds like an addicting drug now, good job.

I'm a one man freedom delivery system.

#AMDmasterRace

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: https://youtube.com/user/ncrranger24

thunderthies #9 Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:14 AM

Not a Hoax

• Club Wargaming
  • 14051 battles

This may be my favorite post I've seen yet. Thank you for adapting this to Blitz and for citing your source. It's always good to give credit where credit is due. 

On a side note, I tried logging on to the Asia servers to give the author of this props, but I had to create a new WG account. The section this original article was posted in requires a minimum of 2000 battles in order to post. Does anyone know how to link WG accounts together?

Edited by thunderthies, 29 October 2014 - 01:31 AM.

Check out:   WoTB terms, phrases defined v. 2.0

Check out:    iMovie iOS video production tutorial

Check out:           WoTB beginner's guide, tactics

Check out:                   WoTB YouTube channels

naktl #10 Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:19 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18714 battles
This is great!  And yeh, poker adopted it from pinball.  Sadly, I am familiar with it.  What isn't covered is strategies to put your opponent in the tilt position, which is a thing.

jensen215_ #11 Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:32 AM

Scientia Potentia Est

• Players
  • 13160 battles
  • [IMPR]

View Postnaktl, on 28 October 2014 - 08:19 PM, said:

This is great!  And yeh, poker adopted it from pinball.  Sadly, I am familiar with it.  What isn't covered is strategies to put your opponent in the tilt position, which is a thing.

If you could tell how you can put a person into tilt in WOTB I would certainly add it to the OP

We Will Rise Again, The Empire is dead, long live the Empire, The Imperium has risen

Carry a noob and he will have victory for a battle teach a man to carry and he will lead to domination        

MLFSiS1.png

Augustus_Sohn #12 Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:39 AM

The rent-a-cop

• Players
  • 13358 battles
  • [III-H]

View Postjensen215_, on 28 October 2014 - 06:32 PM, said:

If you could tell how you can put a person into tilt in WOTB I would certainly add it to the OP

Some people think the technique is to call everybody a noob and criticize every single movement on the battlefield, along with posts in the forums.

TILTED!!

dimzzy #13 Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:07 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 39771 battles
  • [-1]
I change tanks; switch tiers from VIII to II. Gameplay is so different that it feels like I'm playing some other game and it helps.

2W0ngF0o #14 Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:27 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2136 battles

Not specially related to Tilt, but did anyone else notice the titles some of the players have in the Asia Forums?  All of us here are Players, even though some were Beta-Testwrs.  On the Asia Forum, it gives title to those who were Beta-Testers.  Check out this screene:

Posted Image

I don't remember from any of the upcoming patches, but are we also going to have different titles at some point?

Closed Beta Tester

Community Pledge Signer

ProsciuttoeMelone #15 Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:56 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 18474 battles
  • [SABER]
Only ever play this game on tilt, so sorry to all my teammates that I have berated on team chat. It's not you, it's me (it's really you ;) ). But actually, I do feel guilty for calling people out, as there are probably some people who have taken some of things to heart when it was only said out of anger.

Augustus_Sohn #16 Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:31 AM

The rent-a-cop

• Players
  • 13358 battles
  • [III-H]

I sit here sick with a cold, and that means I played a lot today. I thought about this "tilt" thing a lot while playing. Good games, bad games, meh games.

I can't really place it as the cause in some games or streaks of games though. When you go ten or so games where you are the only one with kills on losing teams, or the only one with 2,000+ damage on losing teams (no kills all around), tilt just cannot explain it. The resulting poor play that might come after said streak may apply, but the crap teams don't.

naktl #17 Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:37 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18714 battles

Perma tracking is an example of a pretty good tilt strategy.  Pinning is also good, particularly when combined with a good invisible sniper or cover fire.  Almost any good bounce and soak strategy can do it.  Basically anything that eliminates the opponent's ability to do effective damage while spotting them and exposing them to fire.  It can even be more infuriating when they can see you, not damage you, are not taking much damage from you, but are taking damage from elsewhere and can do nothing about it.

Sadly it seems much more likely "teammates" put each other on tilt through monumentally stupid play.

Panbun #18 Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:05 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8126 battles
  • [PBKAC]

Thanks for the article on the concept of 'Tilt'. +1

View Post2W0ngF0o, on 29 October 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

Not specially related to Tilt, but did anyone else notice the titles some of the players have in the Asia Forums?  All of us here are Players, even though some were Beta-Testwrs.  On the Asia Forum, it gives title to those who were Beta-Testers.  Check out this screene:

Posted Image

I don't remember from any of the upcoming patches, but are we also going to have different titles at some point?

On some forums, players were allowed to have a custom forum rank/title by contacting a staff member and requesting a custom one. However, having a custom one can often mean that it will stay that way forever or for a long time. I'm planning on sticking with the official forum ranks but if you'd like your own one on Blitz, try contacting a staff member about it. :wink:

RedBarchetta3 #19 Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:28 AM

Verified √

• Players
  • 25575 battles
  • [DFNT]
Wow, this funk has a name - tilt. Good post, very helpful. And there is nothing like pulling out the Loltraktor and storming around Tier 1. Just hearing that machine gun will put a smile on your face. 

I strip away the old debris that hides a shining car, a brilliant red barchetta from a better vanished time

My not so helpful WOTB videos are on YouTube

The problem will solve itself with time.

jensen215_ #20 Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:11 PM

Scientia Potentia Est

• Players
  • 13160 battles
  • [IMPR]

I am going to bump this. With the influx of noobs I feel like this is happening to me and others a lot more.

MLFSiS1.png

Also tagged with rage, noobs, pubs, streaks, loss

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users