resiliency stress rage rage quit bouncing back mental toughness mental wellness

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

VikkoTheTusken #1 Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:48 PM

URoRRuR'R'R

• Players
  • 18453 battles
  • [III-H]

Most of us know what rage-quitting is. Most of us know that feeling when you've had a full-tilt 10 battle loss streak, I know I do. What about when players are a little too inept with game-play throw the win away leaving you perplexed, angry and full of desire to come here to the forums and complain about it? Sometimes, we need to have that little nudge in the right direction with regard to resiliency and the ability to bounce-back from adverse game outcomes (or general potatoness). 

Hunt The Good Stuff

I do this every day in my life and definitely do it when I play Blitz. What's a good example?

"Well, I died. At least my platoon-mate carried us to the win". 

"I lost but look at that XP I got from the damage I did. I still came out on top on my team, and got a Mastery!"

"Sure I died because the heavies on my team didn't go hill on Middleburg. At least I got a Patrol Duty with 3k assistance damage because the red team all went town too!"

Hunting the good stuff is simply learning to recognize positive things that happen throughout events you experience. It's best to learn how to do this in order to avoid negative bias towards bad things that happen to you. Nobody likes a "Debby Downer". 

Avoid Thinking Traps

These seven thinking traps are quite prevalent in most peoples' lives and some don't even know it. World of Tanks Blitz is no exception given the amount of frustration we experience when the battle doesn't go well. 

• Jumping to Conclusions

"Well, that's a loss" The lights are camping and didn't go to the hill on [old] Mines". 

- I've won plenty of games without dominating that hill.

Mind Reading

"They should know to go valley on Port Bay, it's the meta. I shouldn't have to call Right/Left". 

- Ok, yes - you should go valley but - what if they don't know? Don't presume that other players know what battle plan is best at the battle countdown timer.

• Me, Me, Me

"i always lose because I'm just not that good. I'm the only one to blame for all these losses".

Sure, you won't see this much on the forums with regard to complaints as many players tend to be pompous and narcissistic. However, don't be too hard on yourself for things that happen. This is a team based game. 

Them, Them, Them

"Once again, I get a team of noobs. They're going to go town and lose it again".

"It's the potato's fault for all of my losses". 

Deny it all you want but this thinking trap is a poisonous plague in-game and on the forums. Don't be too keen on blaming others all the time when it may be mistakes you've made in a battle that contributed to a bad play, blowing up or a loss. This thinking trap captures new players, the best of unicums and everyone in-between.

• Always, Always Always

"I always get stuck on the noob teams. They're all 43%'rs". 

"I always lose because of this rigged MM". 

If you believe something adverse in-game is happening to you all the time remember you have control over your style of play. All of us players have room to improve. You shouldn't believe negative that negative events are unchangeable and that you have little or no control over them.

Everything, Everything, Everything

"If you see [player name] in a match, you can't rely on him. He was AFK a few games ago". 

Believing that you can judge one’s worth/character based on a single event or believing that what caused the problem is not going to help your interests other than whining about it here on the forums.

• Self Fulfilling Prophecy

"These noobs are killing my win rate. Since we're obviously not going to win this battle I'll just go drown myself"

"We're going to lose. There's a unicum platoon on the red team. I'll just camp and farm damage" (loses)

Many forumers here on a daily basis offer claims of problems but offer no solutions. The inability to hunt the good stuff and bounce back from the problem results in falling victim to one or more of the above thinking traps -creating a downward spiral of emotional negativity and to an extreme extent; rage. 

Congratulations to those of you who have read this in its entirety. Although you may disagree or find flaws in my argument, you should at least recognize that avoiding thinking traps and being able to bounce back from a bad game will lead to a happier gaming experience. If you try this with every facet of your life you might find an overall increase in interests and pleasures outside the game, interpersonal relationships and a better ability to communicate with others.

For those of you SNERT's out there that have no interest in a rhetorical proposal about how to improve your overall happiness:

TL;DR

Edited by VikkoTheTusken, 08 November 2016 - 03:51 AM.

Click here for video entertainment

See My Blitz Guide to Resiliency and Being a Better Tanker

Verified Potato of the Sand People

Turd___Ferguson #2 Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:55 PM

3.8 Wrecked Blitz

• Players
  • 35903 battles
  • [38SUX]
+1. Good to see positive posts every now and again and glad to see you ended with a good bunch. I know you used to have a clan with one of your kids, but triarii are a good bunch. 

Edited by Turd___Ferguson, 07 November 2016 - 10:56 PM.

The phantom of the forums

“No dumb bastard ever won a war by going out and dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb bastard die for his country.” - George S. Patton

I don't always eat tacos, but when I do they're from here: http://www.districttaco.com

VikkoTheTusken #3 Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:07 PM

URoRRuR'R'R

• Players
  • 18453 battles
  • [III-H]

View PostTurd___Ferguson, on 07 November 2016 - 05:55 PM, said:

+1. Good to see positive posts every now and again and glad to see you ended with a good bunch. I know you used to have a clan with one of your kids, but triarii are a good bunch. 

My daughter still plays. It's all good. Triarii was a better fit for me as a player and working towards enlisting in their outfit was a goal for some time. Every few weekends or so, I make it a point to platoon with her. She'll never turn down some platoon time if I ask. If she isn't playing Agar.io or Minecraft Lite, I usually ask "Platoon Boom"?  She'll never turn me down. :)

I posted a video with her an I goofing around in training rooms...

RoadKutter #4 Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:20 PM

Polish Demolish

• Players
  • 21466 battles
  • [III-H]
Excellent +1. I really enjoy positive posts on the forums!

If you give a man fire, he will be warm for a day. If you light a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life.

BoomMfer #5 Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:20 PM

This space for rent

• Players
  • 43605 battles
  • [KRONO]
Nice job!

PixelBucket #6 Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:23 PM

Level 90 Loser

• Players
  • 19496 battles
  • [PRT]

Finally, something that isn't complaining about MM or something like that.

Though my sanity is low, and reading this almost made me angry, that is due to a rough stock grind at tier 8 :ohmy:

My Top Tanks: Lowe (#880), Type 61 (#834), Helsing H0 (#797), Pz. S35 739 (#778), ARL 44 (#661), T7 Car (#654), STB-1 (#502), MT-25 (#442), Excelsior (ironically(#422), M22 Locust (#322), T23E3 (#223), Pz. 38 (t) nA (#211), Alecto (#197), Pz 35 (t) (#168),

T-25 (#166), Stridsvagn 74A2 (#151), Angry Connor (#63!), T-15 (#50!), Pz. 38 (t) (#31!)

In My Garage: T-25, Tetrarch, Pz 38 (t), Pz 35 (t),  SU-122-44, Helsing H0, Kuro Mori Mine, Pz IV Anko SP, E 50 M, T7 Car, T2 Light, Locust, T-15, Stridsvagn 74A2, T23E3, Angry Connor, Lowe, Leopard 1, 112, STB-1, AMX M4 45, Type 61, WT Auf Pz IV, T28 Proto

Lines I am currently grinding: T110E4 (Currently at T28 Proto), AMX 50B (Currently at AMX M4 45)

"As can likely be inferred, I am a sad, lonely excuse of a human being"

magonzales62 #7 Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:29 PM

If you're going to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.

• Players
  • 16554 battles
  • [III-C]
Nice Vikko. +1

3castle_ #8 Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:54 PM

Russian accuracy

• Players
  • 13729 battles
  • [-DD-]
this is like 1st positive thread on forum lol

3castle official - Youtube

prem tanks : T2 light, Tetrarch, T7 car, Pz2j, BT-SV, T127, Pz.s35, M3 light, Valentine 2, Pz.B2, Pz 5/4, Excelsior, Matilda BP, Pz4 anko, Dicker max, SU100y, Kuro Mori Mine, Tog II*, T-34-85 victory, Strv 74A2, Fury, Rudy, T23E3 nomad, Dracula, Panther m/10, AT15a, SU122-44, Type 62, IS3D, KV5, Lowe, IS6, Type 59, T26E4. T34, FCM50t. 0-47

Achuuu___ #9 Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:10 AM

"Lul" in Dutch

• Players
  • 12191 battles
  • [501ST]

Thanks for the tl;dr :D

I just skipped to the bottom 

(Press this link for wotbstars)

(and this for blitzstars)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯     Stupidity at its finest   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ole_sniper #10 Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:14 AM

Where's The Lamb Sauce, Sosig?

• Players
  • 12032 battles
  • [SPUD]

Heeeeeyyy...

What's with the anti-potato theme?

#spudlivesmatter

:P

Nice post.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe- Albert Einstein 

Gordon Ramsay's Lamb Sauce>Your Favorite Pillow Tanks

Proud Hype 59 and Shinobi Owner

[SPUD]Campers N' Taters

VikkoTheTusken #11 Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:22 AM

URoRRuR'R'R

• Players
  • 18453 battles
  • [III-H]

View PostOle_sniper, on 07 November 2016 - 07:14 PM, said:

Heeeeeyyy...

What's with the anti-potato theme?

#spudlivesmatter

:P

Nice post.

:honoring: Grow em' big. Grow em' proud!  o7, [SPUD]

Augustus_GoldNoob_Sohn #12 Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:45 AM

The rent-a-cop

• Players
  • 12785 battles
  • [III-H]

You're like "Sohn needs to shut up. All he does is complain and kvetch on the Triarii site. I'll write a good article, so I don't have to tell him up front." 

Well done!:D

But seriously, I am guilty of nearly all of this. That's why in the end I just admit that I'm only barely above average, and my stats definitely show it. Great stuff, Vikko. 

Edited by Augustus_Sohn_Prime, 08 November 2016 - 01:10 AM.

Unifying TRIARII factors:

1.How much money we've spent on this game (not to mention the new parking garage required for all of our M 60's)

2. The amount of alcohol consumed while playing tanks. 

3. How much fun we have with, and at the expense of, each other

VikkoTheTusken #13 Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:04 AM

URoRRuR'R'R

• Players
  • 18453 battles
  • [III-H]

View PostAugustus_Sohn_Prime, on 07 November 2016 - 07:45 PM, said:

You're like "Sohn needs to shut up. All he does is complain and kvetch on the Triarii site. I'll write a good article, so I don't have to tell him up front." 

Well done!:D

But seriously, I am guilty of nearly all of this. That's why I'm the end I just admit that I'm only barely above average, and my stats definitely show it. Great stuff, Vikko. 

If you don't do it in blitz, do it in life. It changed mine when I started following it 3 years ago. I couldn't have survived my last deployment without it.

Augustus_GoldNoob_Sohn #14 Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:12 AM

The rent-a-cop

• Players
  • 12785 battles
  • [III-H]

View PostVikkoTheTusken, on 07 November 2016 - 05:04 PM, said:

If you don't do it in blitz, do it in life. It changed mine when I started following it 3 years ago. I couldn't have survived my last deployment without it.

It is funny how a game can imitate life in many ways, and how we let it affect us so. It's why I don't flip when people pen emotional goodbyes on the forum. Sometimes our escape mechanism or coping tool can really become a deep part of our lives. 

Unifying TRIARII factors:

1.How much money we've spent on this game (not to mention the new parking garage required for all of our M 60's)

2. The amount of alcohol consumed while playing tanks. 

3. How much fun we have with, and at the expense of, each other

VikkoTheTusken #15 Posted 08 November 2016 - 01:15 AM

URoRRuR'R'R

• Players
  • 18453 battles
  • [III-H]

View PostAugustus_Sohn_Prime, on 07 November 2016 - 08:12 PM, said:

It is funny how a game can imitate life in many ways, and how we let it affect us so. It's why I don't flip when people pen emotional goodbyes on the forum. Sometimes our escape mechanism or coping tool can really become a deep part of our lives. 

Well said. +1

Blitz is my escape from the bureaucratic nightmare that is the U.S. Army.

mjm68 #16 Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:18 PM

M.C.R.D grad class of '86

• Players
  • 27056 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostVikkoTheTusken, on 07 November 2016 - 05:07 PM, said:

My daughter still plays. It's all good. Triarii was a better fit for me as a player and working towards enlisting in their outfit was a goal for some time. Every few weekends or so, I make it a point to platoon with her. She'll never turn down some platoon time if I ask. If she isn't playing Agar.io or Minecraft Lite, I usually ask "Platoon Boom"?  She'll never turn me down. :)

I posted a video with her an I goofing around in training rooms...

Bounding over some Death Races.  :great: :playing:

Semper Fidelis

sed etiam periculosum veteres

VikkoTheTusken #17 Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:11 PM

URoRRuR'R'R

• Players
  • 18453 battles
  • [III-H]

View Postmjm68, on 16 November 2016 - 09:18 AM, said:

Bounding over some Death Races.  :great: :playing:

Her favorite was me crashing the game in my 45.02B . 

Kappy_ #18 Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:09 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6737 battles
  • [DK0]

A little CBT education for the tanking community can go a long way.

Very nice, Vikko.

o7

Kap

I_am_the_worden #19 Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:40 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 6035 battles
  • [JFGF]
What about the other 12 skills in resiliency training. You're not going to go over them as well?

VikkoTheTusken #20 Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:43 PM

URoRRuR'R'R

• Players
  • 18453 battles
  • [III-H]

View PostI_am_the_worden, on 25 February 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

What about the other 12 skills in resiliency training. You're not going to go over them as well?

I suppose I could, but then it would have to be incorporated into a Battalion Safety Stand-Down and you better have sign-in sheets uploaded into DTMS. Otherwise your training NCO will be the sole person to blame. :trollface:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users