Graphics Settings

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

reluctanttheist #1 Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:35 AM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 17827 battles
  • [III-H]

3.4 provides new graphic settings to tweak - you can see if your brand new device can handle it all, or you can dial things back to help make the game playable on an older device.  If you're on a PC, you won't have the "New Render" setting; if you're not playing on an Apple device, Blitz uses OpenGL.  The graphics aren't quite as nice with OpenGL but at least you're likely to be able to max out all the settings :B

If you have an old device, start with using the Ultra-Low or Low graphics quality setting.  If you have a newer device read on to see what these new settings do.

Here's the settings I use for my iPhone 6 and iPad Mini 4, both of which use the A8 processor:

Spoiler

Water Quality when set to High show water with rippling reflections.  Medium shows some reflections but looks odd and Low just shows a blue, non-reflecting surface.

Object and terrain quality at Medium still allows distant mountains to have textures on them; set to low they are just blobs of colour and not nice to look at.  If set to high, FPS drops significantly on old devices.  This controls quality of textures on distant surfaces and not number of polygons from what I can see.

Vehicle quality controls amount of detail on the surfaces of the vehicles (at High, it appears to enable bump mapping from what I can see) 

Effects Quality has a big impact on game performance.  Use Medium or Low unless you have an A9 or A10 processor as explosions of tanks will freeze your screen until the explosion is gone, and smoke and fires from dead tanks can also kill your frame rate.

Draw distance controls the number of polygons used for objects around you.  On old devices anything higher than the Low setting is a killer.  Note that even if set to high, tanks on distant hills may appear to float above them as Blitz reduces the polygons being shown for that distant hill.

Fog quality at medium does allow fog to be shown, helping with depth perception.  Without it, distant objects have no fog to help you identify them as distant.  Some maps only show fog if quality is set to High, and you can see if your device can handle High for this setting (it doesn't seem to be a big-ticket item).

Anisotropic filtering, if turned on, show distant surfaces with more clarity.  While it will make the game appear a bit more real, it does impact performance so you'll want to turn it off unless you have a new device.

Antialiasing smooths diagonal edges on your screen, and unless you have a large screen you're not likely to notice a big difference.  AA also has a noticable impact on frame rate and does not greatly improve the visuals for most players.

Camo doesn't seem to impact performance much.  If you crash Blitz often, turn it off.

Flora quality also has a major impact on frame rate.  Set to OFF will hide all the grass in the game, but keeps bushes and trees visible.  Grass has no camo rating anyway!  Medium and High are only recommended for new devices.

I have HD Sound turned off and Shadows on.  Lower Resolution mode is VERY grainy and you're unlikely to find it useful.  The New Render switch enables use of the Metal API for devices using iOS 8 or newer and an Apply A7 processor or newer (iPhone 5S or newer; iPad Mini 2 or newer; iPad Air or newer).  Metal improves performance AND graphics quality, so it's a win in pretty much all cases if it's available for you to use.

Other settings in iOS to help make your device run as lean as possible (old device desperation mode):

• Turn all Notifications off so your device doesn't have to think about them in the background
  • Turn Push off for all mail and calendar accounts and set Fetch to manual so that your device doesn't check for mail while you play
  • Turn Automatic Updates off so your device won't update apps while you play - this is a real killer!
  • Turn Background App Refresh off so your device only focuses on the app you're using
  • Disable iCloud, iMessage and Facetime

Hope this helps owners of older hardware!  With these settings I get 50-60 FPS with an iPad Mini 1 in our house that still runs Blitz 3.4 pretty well.

Edited by reluctanttheist, 04 January 2017 - 05:14 AM.

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Watch the WoTB Users Manual Series  | Click here if you have lag  |  The best settings for your iOS device |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  | Get good: watch Bushka! | Check out tanks on Tank Compare

HandOfStaIin #2 Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:45 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 215 battles
Very nice, The only way i find low res mode any good is if youre running on a net book, in which it takes 30 seconds t oopen chrome, i had one ran intel atom, and im willing to bet 256 mb of ram or less, and low res increased fps by 5, went from 16 to 21 average

People Like To Blame Russian Bias When They Lose To A Russian Tenk

I Blame You For Not Driving Stronk Enough Tenks

Zip_Zip #3 Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:51 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 40276 battles
  • [SPUDX]
Thanks man, great explanations. :)

Always remember, wherever you go, there you are...

162 tanks mastered // Have tanks, will battle // Click here for my youtube channel 

hson_hson #4 Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:59 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1083 battles
  • [EUREF]

View Postreluctanttheist, on 01 December 2016 - 02:35 AM, said:

Hope this helps owners of older hardware!  With these settings I get 50-60 FPS with an iPad Mini 1 in our house that still runs Blitz 3.4 pretty well.

Just as a reference.

I have a iPad 4th gen (the last one before Air) and have these setting

Water set to low

Effects and Fog set to ultra-low

Object and vehicle quality plus draw distance set to high

Anisotropic filtering and antialiasing set to no

Camo, flora quality and shadows set to off

Hd textures set to on.

And I have 59-60 fps all the time

Spy from EU server, member of clan Valiant

KempBushThe3rd #5 Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:15 AM

How to Git Gud, Step 1: Don't spawn on the wrong team.

• Players
  • 12552 battles

Meh, I just put everything on lowest settings, except for fog and camo.

And yet, my ping still fluctuates between 20 and 28. I thought PC's were supposed to be powerful...

WARNING: The player "KempBushThe3rd" is no longer active. This is the last message he has left us:

"I've supported this game for too long. There are too many frustrations with playing this game. And I believe that it's not worth playing anymore. This is not because of Update 3.8. I have been losing interest in this game for a while now. I believe that it is time for me to put the game down and finally move on with life. A big thanks to the forums for helping me on the road to 60%, and sometimes giving me a good laugh. o7."

_1204_ #6 Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:19 AM

Admiral Kitty

• Players
  • 21757 battles
  • [501ST]
Whats the max an ipad air 2 can do? Absolute highest settings without flying tanks.

Sunny2100 #7 Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:15 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 12186 battles
Thank you for the great explanation OP! I run Blitz on iPad gen 4 and have to bring most settings down to low to have it playable otherwise I have choppy tank performance. Not sure if this adds to ghost shots or if that is more ping related.

reluctanttheist #8 Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:40 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 17827 battles
  • [III-H]

View PostBryoDoesGaming, on 30 November 2016 - 06:15 PM, said:

Meh, I just put everything on lowest settings, except for fog and camo.

And yet, my ping still fluctuates between 20 and 28. I thought PC's were supposed to be powerful...

:amazed: Graphics settings have no impact on ping, just framerate. 

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Watch the WoTB Users Manual Series  | Click here if you have lag  |  The best settings for your iOS device |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  | Get good: watch Bushka! | Check out tanks on Tank Compare

reluctanttheist #9 Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:42 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 17827 battles
  • [III-H]

View Post_1204_, on 30 November 2016 - 06:19 PM, said:

Whats the max an ipad air 2 can do? Absolute highest settings without flying tanks.

Flying tanks are network related - not graphics.  You have the A8X processor so you can run similar to my screenshot above in the spoiler.

NateDawg2k16 #10 Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:19 AM

All Hail Dogface, The Great One

• Players
  • 8807 battles
  • [META]
D-d-disable iMessage? Texting is my life! lol

"If you're gonna go out, go out with a bang." - Nobody said this. But somebody should have.

"Never hold in your farts.  They travel up your spine into your brain, and that's where all the crappy ideas come from."

- Boris

I BEAT THE NUMBER EIGHT CHAFEE PLAYER WHEN THEY WERENT NUMBER 8

MarBearCat #11 Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:34 AM

Pennsylvania's Favorite Cat!

• Players
  • 19863 battles
  • [SDWA]

Could someone tell me what "Camera Sensitivity" is for?

Tanks!

BlurredYou #12 Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:31 PM

Private

• Players
  • 13929 battles
  • [_V_]

View PostMarBearCat, on 26 January 2017 - 08:34 AM, said:

Could someone tell me what "Camera Sensitivity" is for?

Tanks!

Camera sensitivity is basically how fast you can turn your view this in no way moves your turret faster just how fast you can move what you are viewing

PanzertroopenVT #13 Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:13 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 373 battles

Any suggestions for an iPad 2? Settings wise?

The even heavier Tiger II (deemed "King Tiger" by Allied troops) supplemented the Tiger I late in the war. Its powerful gun and very heavy armor made it superior to nearly every Allied or Soviet tank in a one-on-one confrontation, but poor mobility, speed and reliability limited its use.

Also tagged with Graphics, Settings

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users