Panzer's better guide to choosing Crew Skills

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Posit1ve_ #1 Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:02 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 60926 battles
  • [_V_]

Firstly, I'd like to thank War_Child since I'm shamelessly stealing his graphic. And for inspiring me to make a guide to crew skills. I'm gonna rank and explain the crew skills for you so you don't end up throwing away XP on useless skills! 

Explanations:

Light Tank Skills:

1. Hasty Shot: Now usually I rather dislike these low chance RNG based skills, but light tank skills are pretty awful. I find being able to get lucky and place a shot exactly where you want it comes in handy surprisingly often, and often feels like a welcome gift from the RNG gods when it kicks in, and unlike some other skills, when it kicks in, it is rarely wasted.

2. Soft Recoil: This skill is IMO on par with hasty shot, but right now there aren't a whole lot of tanks that would benefit from this skill. Most tanks aim faster than they shoot, but there are a few exceptions, notably the new Strv 74A2, and the Chi Ri, as well as any low tier auto-cannon.

3. Breakthrough: The epitome of terrible. It's a very meager boost to acceleration (up to 6%) and very situational. There aren't going to be a whole lot of situations when you're within 50M of 2 enemies, and when you are, you're usually dead.

Medium Tank Skills

1. Smooth Ride: One of the most useful skills in the game. It cuts aim bloom when moving by 6%, or about 1/3 of the effect of a Vert Stab. There are hardly any situations where this wouldn't help. Whether you're rocking back & forth, playing peek-a-boom, or snapshotting, anything to help you take an accurate shot faster is a great advantage

2. Smooth Turret Traverse: Not quite as handy as Smooth Ride, but in conjunction, it helps further cut down your aim bloom since like movement, turret traverse is another contributor. 

3. Rage: It's not that good of a skill, but it's less trash than the next two. Being able to reload faster after kills does help in those tight situations when you need to chew through several low health tanks. However it's still very situational.

4. Penetration Boost: If you don't understand what this does, than at first glance it seems OK. However what it actually is a very low chance that you score a hit with penetration in the upper half of the penetration range of a shell. For this to be useful, you'd need be to be routinely taking shots where you have a 50% chance or lower to pen. These are shots at red spots on tanks. Not even noobs bother with that. It rarely kicks in, and when it does, it usually goes to waste on a shot you were going to pen anyway

5. Mentor: If you have played more than 600 battles training any other skills for any other class, it's useless. SkittlesOfSteel did the math a while back. It saves you 600 battles if you train Mentor right away, and train all of your other skills to level VI. That's a lot of wasted time when you could be getting skills like Smooth Ride. 

Heavy Tank Skills

1. Repairs: Not quite as useful as it was before 2.8 when they made repair kits multi-useful, but still rather handy. If you take a tracking shot that you don't really want to waste a repair kit on, being able to get going faster is pretty handy, and also helps if you repair kit is recharging, and something critical is destroyed like your turret ring or your gun or your engine.

2. Close Combat Master: On par with repairs IMO in terms of usefulness. Hate getting circled? That's what CCM is for! You never know when that extra traverse speed is going to save your butt from some pesky medium. On the flip side, it even helps when you ARE the circler! Better traverse speed lets you take tighter turns to beat the enemy's traverse

3. Robustness: This goes hand in hand with repairs if your repair kit(s) are recharging. Being less crippled is always nice, but I would still prioritize repairs because a heavily damaged module back in action faster is always better than a damaged module that is slightly less damaged.

4. Firefighting: Unless you have a habit of never carrying a fire-extinguisher or a multi kit, it's not that useful. However sometimes there are situations when you don't have an extinguishing consumable ready to go and firefighting does have a significant effect unlike some other skills, and that extra 36% means a couple clicks of HP saved

5. Adrenaline Rush: If you have 15% of your HP remaining, you're in some deep doo doo and you probably won't be alive much longer to take advantage of the meager boost to DPM it gives. It's just too situational to be useful, and unlike firefighting, the effect isn't significant either.

TD Skills:

1. Camouflage: Unlike a lot of other crew skills, Camo has a fairly significant effect. Getting the first shot in engagements is a massive advantage! If you're using on top of a tank with good camo, it gets even better!

2. Clutch Braking: Extra traverse speed? Yes please! It might not be a lot, but it usually amounts to about a degree or so extra. You never know when that might come in handy, and plus it just makes tanks feel that much more comfortable to drive

3. Smooth Turn: Another excellent skill. Anything to reduce exposure time and help you take shots faster is always welcome. Need to 360 no-scope someone in your turretless TD? Smooth Turn is there to help!

4. Sniper: I don't really like Sniper. First off there's a pretty low chance that it'll take effect. And when it does, the enemy just uses a repair kit. Fantastic.

5. If all your allies are destroyed, like Adrenaline Rush, you're in some deep doo doo. If the effect were a little higher, it might be worth it, but as it stands in 1 v Red situations, the HP of your tank and the enemies, and what tanks you are driving is going to have way more of an effect than some stupid 6% boost to view range is. It's just too situational. 

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Posit1ve_, 08 March 2018 - 06:32 AM.

336 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

wannabeunicum #2 Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:08 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 41278 battles
  • [-MM]

my opinion on mentor Yeah az pz said it is useless for the level six. But seriously it is useful to get up till level 4 atleast.

and camo is op. This is probably why rerolls cant get gud in the borsig

4100xpb #3 Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:12 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 16960 battles

Thanks for this, and to WarChild as well.  ;)

One comment on Mentor - while I agree it's likely not worth grinding up to level 6 before moving onto other medium tank skills, it probably would be helpful to get the first few easy levels in before moving on.  A 3-4% boost in crew training would be quite helpful, but wouldn't take nearly as much time to grind out.  :amazed:

r4zrbl4de #4 Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:16 PM

Camo Fetish

• Players
  • 14268 battles
Not sure if this is me because I don't remember, but if you've put your crew XP into crappy skills, is it worth resetting them to fix them?

Posit1ve_ #5 Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:20 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 60926 battles
  • [_V_]

View Postr4zrbl4de, on 28 December 2016 - 05:16 PM, said:

Not sure if this is me because I don't remember, but if you've put your crew XP into crappy skills, is it worth resetting them to fix them?

Depends on a situational basis.

If you trained like 6 levels of Penetration boost, and nothing else, and you can't see yourself playing the game long enough to train all the other skills, and you don't have anything better to spend the gold on during a sale, than it might be worth it. In most cases, I'd advise against it, unless there's a REALLY good deal on it.

336 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

evil00genius #6 Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:21 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 42824 battles
  • [III-X]
Firefighting and robustness are more useful than close combat master on the heavy tank crew skill line (my crew will often put out a fire before I can manage to hit the multi-pack, for example), but otherwise a decent list outlining the order to build skills to mastery.  I also think sniper is also more valuable than you give it credit for; where a noob would damage a fuel system or cause ammo rack damage I have a 1 in 19 chance of lighting you on fire or getting a full ammo rack.  Not the best in terms of absolute probability, but it really adds up over time IMHO.

Edited by evil00genius, 28 December 2016 - 11:22 PM.

Posit1ve_ #7 Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:23 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 60926 battles
  • [_V_]

View Postevil00genius, on 28 December 2016 - 05:21 PM, said:

Firefighting and robustness are more useful than close combat master on the heavy tank crew skill line, but otherwise a decent list outlining the order to build skills to mastery.  I also think sniper is also more valuable than you give it credit for; where a noob would damage a fuel system or cause ammo rack damage I have a 1 in 19 chance of lighting you on fire or getting a full ammo rack.  Not the best in terms of absolute probability, but it really adds up over time IMHO.

Sniper doesn't gurantee that you destroy the module. It gurantees that your shell will damage it. It will still deal the same amount of damage to a module as if you didn't have it. 

Even you if hit a module, there's only about a 30% chance that the game will choose have the shell actually register damage to the module. All sniper does is change that chance to 100% 1 in 20 times. If the shell doesn't deal enough damage to destroy a module completely, Sniper won't change that.

336 tanks in the garage!

redmanm #8 Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:20 AM

Vader's Fist

• Players
  • 26728 battles
  • [501DV]
Thanks for putting this together!

#betaproud

Hydraxen_ #9 Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:21 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21408 battles
  • [COD-S]

Nice guide!

Imo the deadly accuracy skill goes well with the camouflage skill, where you need a combination of view range, and camouflage to try to keep yourself alive. It may not be much, but it can reduce the amount of distance between where you spot the enemy and where they spot you. Especially during 1 v 3s.

The sniper skill should be given more attention because there will be lots of missions that require to to set fire or ammo rack someone. If you put this hand in hand with a high caliber gun, you can get good chances of ammo racking someone. A bit of RNG, but it can benefit you in the long run if you're grinding a bulls-eye mission

Mentor may be bad, but it's got to be better than penetration boost. Most people know to rely on HEAT or APCR if armor gets too thick. Penetration boost is decided by RNG and not reliable, and if you're shooting at a red armor plate trying to score that boost, you know you're doing something wrong. The skill is only good for machine gun tanks, but there aren't any autocannons past tier 5. If you train mentor a little, just by 1 or 2 stages, you won't have to spend many battles, and can sped up the grind to other skills by a tad.

- a troglodyte

ElChingadero_ #10 Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:42 AM

Clubs Wargaming

• Players
  • 31240 battles

anything to do with dispersion should be number 1

Storm216 #11 Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:47 AM

Wait, HEAT isn't standard ammo?!

• Players
  • 27957 battles
  • [FILTH]

Good guide.

I just have one thing to say: don't reference the Strv and the Chi-Ri in "Light tank skills"—they're mediums.

Posit1ve_ #12 Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:53 AM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 60926 battles
  • [_V_]

View PostStorm216, on 28 December 2016 - 06:47 PM, said:

Good guide.

I just have one thing to say: don't reference the Strv and the Chi-Ri in "Light tank skills"—they're mediums.

Ah, but ALL your crew skills apply to ALL your tanks! So your light tanks benefit from your camouflage skill, and your medium tanks benefit from Soft Recoil

336 tanks in the garage!

KempBushThe3rd #13 Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:55 AM

How to Git Gud, Step 1: Don't spawn on the wrong team.

• Players
  • 15527 battles
  • [SEAL]

I agree with most of it, except, a few ways my opinion is different from yours.

Mentor > Penetration Boost. Like you said, it rarely kicks in, and when it does, it's usually wasted. But if that's the case, why would you train it in the first place when you could be training Mentor for a bit of extra XP?

Firefighting > Robustness. Robustness is only for when you run out of repair kits for some reason, which is very rare. Firefighting is actually not just useful when you don't have a fire extinguisher, it's also useful for when you have the multi and not the automatic, which means the damage ticks get lower, faster.

Smooth Turn > Clutch Braking. In my opinion, since I love gun handling. If you prefer the extra traverse, fine. But I think it's important to minimize your bloom as little as possible, especially on TDs when you often need to turn a little bit to adjust your gun arc. Smooth Turn lets you aim faster when stationary and minimizes bloom on quick snapshots.

Deadly Accuracy > Sniper. Sniper is useless because of the reasons you stated, and although Deadly Accuracy is mostly useless, sometimes that little bit of viewrange and/or little bit of aiming speed can help you win a 1vX situation. At lvl 5, 5% more view range is half of the effects of optics, or a single 10% crew ration.

WARNING: The player "KempBushThe3rd" is no longer active. This is the last message he has left us:

"I've supported this game for too long. There are too many frustrations with playing this game. And I believe that it's not worth playing anymore. This is not because of Update 3.8. I have been losing interest in this game for a while now. I believe that it is time for me to put the game down and finally move on with life. A big thanks to the forums for helping me on the road to 60%, and sometimes giving me a good laugh. o7."

4100xpb #14 Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:16 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 16960 battles

View Postpanzermk6, on 28 December 2016 - 03:23 PM, said:

Sniper doesn't gurantee that you destroy the module. It gurantees that your shell will damage it. It will still deal the same amount of damage to a module as if you didn't have it. 

Even you if hit a module, there's only about a 30% chance that the game will choose have the shell actually register damage to the module. All sniper does is change that chance to 100% 1 in 20 times. If the shell doesn't deal enough damage to destroy a module completely, Sniper won't change that.

One more knock against sniper - it's one in twenty 'shots,' not hits.  That means it can (and does, if you watch your little indicators) activate when the hand of Stalin guides your shell into the ether instead of the tank you were aiming at.  :rolleyes:

RenamedUser_1025558953 #15 Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 2745 battles
Thanks for directing me to this link. It was extremely helpful. 
Ding dongs rule.  Better than ho-ho's 

DerpytrollerZ #16 Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:59 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10088 battles
  • [CYCLN]

Why has no one talked about adren rush? TBH its one of my favorite skills and helps a crap ton. Most of the time, mid way through a game, i reposition badly and take alot of shots. After that i go on tryhard mode and peek a boom/angle the crap out of everything so the reload actually helps me for quite a long time. I don't ever use my multi unless theres a crap ton of stuff damaged (i carry first aid and repair) so the firefighting skill really goes to waste for me. TBH repairs is definitely overrated in this. I honestly don't get tracked often and when i do, i can wait it out without repairs or i have a repair kit and a multi kit i could pop. TBH CCM and Robustness both should be above that and IMO adrenaline rush should be near the top (but thats a personal opinion)

F*** WG am i right?

BorisBaddenov #17 Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:47 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 26424 battles
  • [NOGUD]

panzermk6, on 28 December 2016 - 05:53 PM, said:

Ah, but ALL your crew skills apply to ALL your tanks! So your light tanks benefit from your camouflage skill, and your medium tanks benefit from Soft Recoil

This is true ^^^ once your tank's crew skill is 100.  Before that, you only benefit from crew skills specific to that tank type.

Edited by BorisBaddenov, 28 March 2017 - 01:47 PM.

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

PanzertroopenVT #18 Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11878 battles
  • [PRDE]

View Postredmanm, on 28 December 2016 - 07:20 PM, said:

Thanks for putting this together!

I SECOND THAT EMOTION!

Panzerwaffe, later also Panzertruppe (German for "Armoured Force", "Armoured Arm" or "Tank Force". Waffe[combat] "arm"

Hey you—yes you, with all that moist, succulent meat in your mouth. Give all of it to me. succulentnmeals!

https://youtu.be/XebF2cgmFmU

Spekulatius #19 Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:08 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 32625 battles
  • [III-S]
Deadly accuracy is handy, if you are the last one alive against one or multiple reds. Those extra few meters of view range could mean that you see and shoot them first, before they shoot you. Strong players will get into these situations quite often.

Community pledge signer

InkaPanzer #20 Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:14 AM

Tanquista Peruano

• Players
  • 65268 battles
  • [DBLAT]
Hi, maybe can you update this guide?

Saludos desde Perú!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users