Heavy Theory Verses Reality

DW2 Heavy Sniping Flanking Spawn Himmelsdorf Black Goldville Winter Malinovka Lost Temple spearhead

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

LaughingRam #1 Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:18 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 12832 battles
  • [DEPT]

So I  am using my DW2 and I know that in theory heavy tanks are supposed to be spearheading the attacks. Also, I am told that they are not meant to be snipers or flankers.

In reality for me two things usually happen:

a) We are all together at the same spawn, but my team races away up the hills at 45 to 65 km/hr on maps like Falls Creek or Lost Temple. The speed of the DW2 is supposed to be around 35 km/hr, but going up some of the hills on some of these maps it is extremely slow. Not exactly spearheading speed.

b) I get spawned all by myself far away from my teammates such as the Northeast corner of Himmelsdorf while the rest of my team start their fight right at the rail yard or at the plant in Black Goldville while my team races up  the hill to the caves. A couple of times this has happened at Himmelsdorf and I managed to come around the town behind the Red team and kill three tanks in one game and four tanks in another. The last time in Goldville, I was at the mill at the start and thought that I might be able to snipe away at the other side, I had just destroyed one TD that came to the mill, when I received a sarcastic message from one of my teammates asking me if I was going to start playing my tank. I was too busy to respond and promptly destroyed another tank coming up my hill. I eventually lost in a 1 vs 1 situation against a TD. I ended up the top finisher on my team.

On a similar note, at Winter Malinovka, my team was mostly at the frozen water, while another DW2 and some other heavy and I left our spawn and headed up to the town. A message had come from one of our team saying stay together, but we were way too far away at the start. In the end, we won the game and the last two tanks standing was the other DW2 and myself left standing up by the town overlooking the water.

I am looking for some advise or comments on the theory verses the reality of heavy tank fighting.

Thanks,

o7

LR

BorisBaddenov #2 Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:25 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 24605 battles
  • [NOGUD]

Hi,

I love the DW2 - it is so much fun!   I got my first (and 3rd) Raisini in it.  I try to always go with the group.  And that often means going up the hill on Black Goldville and Middleburg.    Avoid the notion that you are "too slow".  

Once you get better at reading the team line-ups and comparing them to the map - you'll know which way to go.  Do not hesitate - move that direction - and try not to stop until you've actually made contact with the reds.  As I'm driving in, I am looking at where the reds are on the mini-map (that we  have spotted) and taking a guess as to where the reds are we have not spotted - all with the goal to put my DW2 in a position to be the most effective when I do join the fray.

I also find that at tier 4, if I call a direction (All left please <<<<&lt;) that the mediums will often wait for me to catch up.    While that is not always a good idea - it works out.

I'd be happy to platoon some DW2 with you, and we can chat about the battles after.

Here'e are my DW2 stats:

http://www.blitzstar...enov/tank/13329

Good luck!

Boris

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

outersketcher #3 Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:35 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 12738 battles
  • [COD-R]

Even I do pretty well in the DW2. Wonderful tank. Also, Boris once told me.. "when you look at the map..you are looking at the dots you can see... AND for the dots you CAN'T see."

"lets see..those three just lit up.. and they are two lights and the one medium..soooo the four heavies are most likely gonna be...there."

You'll learn to be able to infer by what you see on the mini where the hidden tanks will most likely be.  Useful skill man.

As for the Heavy play in general? Honestly, IMO.. it depends on the tank. Some Heavies are wonderful for charging into the Frey of things. Like the British Churchhills. Causing psychological panic and disarray while bouncing shells left and right. Others are excellent snipers, like the German Heavies..  or hull down monsters like the American Heavies (T29). Others, work best as bastions of defiance like the British AT series. Wait till you get to play with a Russian KV2.. grins. Derpalicious. Trouble is..when people see a KV2, they go for it fast.

Edit... one more thing. Flanking in a heavy. Generally not a good idea. In fact.. it's almost NEVER a good idea. If it ever DOES work, its a total fluke and the rest of the times you try it, you'll just deprive your team of a needed gun while you're out taking the scenic route.

Edited by outersketcher, 29 December 2016 - 11:46 PM.

I try to follow the wise teachings of Mr Miyagi.  "Best defense, no be there."

...don't get hit... don't get hit... don't get hit... OWWW you %$#$!... don't get hit... don't get hit... don't get hit...

LaughingRam #4 Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:47 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 12832 battles
  • [DEPT]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 29 December 2016 - 03:25 PM, said:

Hi,

I love the DW2 - it is so much fun!   I got my first (and 3rd) Raisini in it.  I try to always go with the group.  And that often means going up the hill on Black Goldville and Middleburg.    Avoid the notion that you are "too slow".

Once you get better at reading the team line-ups and comparing them to the map - you'll know which way to go.  Do not hesitate - move that direction - and try not to stop until you've actually made contact with the reds.  As I'm driving in, I am looking at where the reds are on the mini-map (that we  have spotted) and taking a guess as to where the reds are we have not spotted - all with the goal to put my DW2 in a position to be the most effective when I do join the fray.

I also find that at tier 4, if I call a direction (All left please <<<<&lt;) that the mediums will often wait for me to catch up.    While that is not always a good idea - it works out.

I'd be happy to platoon some DW2 with you, and we can chat about the battles after.

Here'e are my DW2 stats:

Good luck!

Boris

Achuuu___ #5 Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:50 PM

"Lul" in Dutch

• Players
  • 13160 battles
  • [501DV]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 29 December 2016 - 04:25 PM, said:

Hi,

Here'e are my DW2 stats:

Good luck!

Boris

http://www.blitzstar...u___/tank/13329

DW2 is pretty fun lol

¯\_()_/¯     Stupidity at its finest   ¯\_()_/¯

BorisBaddenov #6 Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:50 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 24605 battles
  • [NOGUD]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 29 December 2016 - 03:25 PM, said:

Hi,

Here'e are my DW2 stats:

Good luck!

Boris

how did this get hidden?  It was the second post on this thread

and now it's back....  

Edited by BorisBaddenov, 30 December 2016 - 01:51 PM.

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

LaughingRam #7 Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:13 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 12832 battles
  • [DEPT]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 30 December 2016 - 05:50 AM, said:

how did this get hidden?  It was the second post on this thread

and now it's back....

Apparently I stuttered and ended up with a double thread of this post.

Not only am I a noob on the battle field, but apparently I am a noob on the Forum.

LR

j0nn0 #8 Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:35 PM

F2P Skrub

• Players
  • 19487 battles
  • [XREGS]

Go where you think is best, but anticipate enemy positions and be sure to meet them there with a loaded gun. As mentioned above, track enemy movements and start thinking of where they'll pop up. Correctly guessing enemy movements is vital in any tank you drive. Be it a sniper to get off a snap shot for your waiting gun, safe flanking or spotting for meds and lights, or getting into hull down points for heavies.

When moving, move with purpose, don't hesitate, and if you're in a position susceptible to ambush, have hard cover ready at your flank or front so you can hunker down.

I may have a few too many tanks. I think I was over 150 in garage by last count.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users