Heavy Theory Verses Reality

DW2 Heavy Sniping Flanking Spawn Himmelsdorf Black Goldville Winter Malinovka Lost Temple spearhead

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

LaughingRam #1 Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:19 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 12832 battles
  • [DEPT]

So I  am using my DW2 and I know that in theory heavy tanks are supposed to be spearheading the attacks. Also, I am told that they are not meant to be snipers or flankers.

In reality for me two things usually happen:

a) We are all together at the same spawn, but my team races away up the hills at 45 to 65 km/hr on maps like Falls Creek or Lost Temple. The speed of the DW2 is supposed to be around 35 km/hr, but going up some of the hills on some of these maps it is extremely slow. Not exactly spearheading speed.

b) I get spawned all by myself far away from my teammates such as the Northeast corner of Himmelsdorf while the rest of my team start their fight right at the rail yard or at the plant in Black Goldville while my team races up  the hill to the caves. A couple of times this has happened at Himmelsdorf and I managed to come around the town behind the Red team and kill three tanks in one game and four tanks in another. The last time in Goldville, I was at the mill at the start and thought that I might be able to snipe away at the other side, I had just destroyed one TD that came to the mill, when I received a sarcastic message from one of my teammates asking me if I was going to start playing my tank. I was too busy to respond and promptly destroyed another tank coming up my hill. I eventually lost in a 1 vs 1 situation against a TD. I ended up the top finisher on my team.

On a similar note, at Winter Malinovka, my team was mostly at the frozen water, while another DW2 and some other heavy and I left our spawn and headed up to the town. A message had come from one of our team saying stay together, but we were way too far away at the start. In the end, we won the game and the last two tanks standing was the other DW2 and myself left standing up by the town overlooking the water.

I am looking for some advise or comments on the theory verses the reality of heavy tank fighting.

Thanks,

o7

LR

Achuuu___ #2 Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:31 PM

"Lul" in Dutch

• Players
  • 13160 battles
  • [501DV]
Depends on the heavy

¯\_()_/¯     Stupidity at its finest   ¯\_()_/¯

Rev_ianc_bell #3 Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:53 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 28908 battles
  • [PRD]

View PostAchuuu___, on 29 December 2016 - 06:31 PM, said:

Depends on the heavy

This. For example the Tiger tank series, including the DW2, are not good close brawlers unless you have mastered the art of angle control AND are top tier. This changes for the E75 and E100 as well as the Maus which have much stronger frontal armour profiles. You should hang back a touch and exploit the legendary accuracy of the powerful guns. The IS series on the other hand is designed as straight-up brawlers and tend to be more mobile as well so they can keep up better with the mediums, but the gun handling is so god-awful that you won't be able to carry if you try to shoot from long distances. The important thing with the DW2 is to try to get into a position where you can put the gun to work while maintaining some distance. 

Edited by Rev_ianc_bell, 29 December 2016 - 11:54 PM.

Commandant of Predator Corps [PRD] (formerly  [PDR-R])

Check out my youtube channel

My profile at wotbstars, wblitz.net  and blitzstars

PRD/PDR-R Website: http://www.predatorswotbclan.org or visit our recruitment thread or our discussion thread RED IN TOOTH AND CLAW 

anonym_V8W3k6dl2CNQ #4 Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:10 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

couple things. The dw2 is a weird tank. It's armor is like a medium. the mobility is like a hevium and the gun is like a td.  Don get me wrong. I love the dw2 for 3 reasons. 

1. the mobility is not too bad. 

2. the gun is absolutely amazing. 

3. it has the same armor around the whole tank. 

What this means is that you don't really have to worry if you get flanked. secondly side scraping in this tank is awesome however the turret can be weak at times. it's dpm, rof, alfa, and pen. makes the gun sing. may not be the most accurate gun in the game but it is still a good tank.  Interns of the rest of the line it goes the same way however you don't have as much alfa dmg. If you want brawling tanks go for the Russian tanks. if you want vertical tanks go for the american line. if you want sniping tanks go for the german line. if you want tough tanks go for the british and kv line. 

All in all it depends on your play style. In my opinion the heavy tanks are to take a beating for the team and hold the line as the mediums and lights troll them.

Flibbidy_dibbidy #5 Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:18 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 51152 battles
  • [SRT-]
Dw2 is a tough tank for sure. You cant lead in it really" the front armor is just to soft. Be glad you cant be the first one in. It gives you time to see whats developing on the map. And you get to choose the best course of action accordingly. Just ignore the haters ingame. It happens. Hell its probably me doing the hating. Dw is fast enough to get in the action when needed and thats good enough. Dont always try to push your way up front of the line to get focus fired. Just make sure you have places for complete cover. Theres not a spot on that tank that cant be penned.

outersketcher #6 Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:25 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 12738 battles
  • [COD-R]

View Postdan_184_invader, on 29 December 2016 - 04:10 PM, said:

if you want vertical tanks go for the american line.

hahahah..

I try to follow the wise teachings of Mr Miyagi.  "Best defense, no be there."

...don't get hit... don't get hit... don't get hit... OWWW you %$#$!... don't get hit... don't get hit... don't get hit...

1st_Inf_Div_Vet #7 Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:29 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 17628 battles
  • [WRDGZ]
Wait for the first dummy to die and push his hull around the battlefield as frontal armor. 

Carnage_Asada_ #8 Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:33 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8427 battles
  • [OGRE]

The problem with reality and theory.

In theory, mediums are supposed to support and protect the Heavy's.

In theory, meds are supposed to be second line fighters and protect the Heavy's from other mediums.

In theory, meds don't need to kill their opponent, to be successful, they just need to engage and keep them away from the heavys for mop up later.

In reality, meds are almost always the first to engage the enemy.

So in reality, in order to win the battle, heavys find themselves having to support the meds.

In reality, meds just want to kill things and usually ignore their heavys and TDs.

David_Rish #9 Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:51 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15784 battles
  • [FROZE]

View Postdan_184_invader, on 29 December 2016 - 06:10 PM, said:

couple things. The dw2 is a weird tank. It's armor is like a medium. the mobility is like a hevium and the gun is like a td.  Don get me wrong. I love the dw2 for 3 reasons. 

What this means is that you don't really have to worry if you get flanked. secondly side scraping in this tank is awesome however the turret can be weak at times. it's dpm, rof, alfa, and pen. makes the gun sing. may not be the most accurate gun in the game but it is still a good tank.  Interns of the rest of the line it goes the same way however you don't have as much alfa dmg. If you want brawling tanks go for the Russian tanks. if you want vertical tanks go for the american line. if you want sniping tanks go for the german line. if you want tough tanks go for the british and kv line. 

All in all it depends on your play style. In my opinion the heavy tanks are to take a beating for the team and hold the line as the mediums and lights troll them.

Its armor is NOT like a medium. Learn how to angle is has the most trollish armor at tier IV . That is why it is considered the top tier IV seal clubbing tank.

David_Rish #10 Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:54 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15784 battles
  • [FROZE]

View PostCarnage_Asada_, on 29 December 2016 - 06:33 PM, said:

In theory, meds are supposed to be second line fighters and protect the Heavy's from other mediums.

In theory, meds don't need to kill their opponent, to be successful, they just need to engage and keep them away from the heavys for mop up later.

So in reality, in order to win the battle, heavys find themselves having to support the meds.

In reality, meds just want to kill things and usually ignore their heavys and TDs.

We hardly ever agree but could not have said it any better or seen it said better. The second part is blitz 100%.

username_null #11 Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:09 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 4073 battles
  • [CROSS]
the DW2 isn't a spearhead heavy, play it like a support tank, don't try to roll right into t5 guns and die, if you want to play a spearhead tank play the is-3 or kv-4 lines

KempBushThe3rd #12 Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:56 AM

How to Git Gud, Step 1: Don't spawn on the wrong team.

• Players
  • 12794 battles

View PostCarnage_Asada_, on 29 December 2016 - 07:33 PM, said:

Yep, very true.

But in my heavies, I don't just support the mediums. I wait for them to die so I can start farming the damage from a protected position. :trollface:

WARNING: The player "KempBushThe3rd" is no longer active. This is the last message he has left us:

"I've supported this game for too long. There are too many frustrations with playing this game. And I believe that it's not worth playing anymore. This is not because of Update 3.8. I have been losing interest in this game for a while now. I believe that it is time for me to put the game down and finally move on with life. A big thanks to the forums for helping me on the road to 60%, and sometimes giving me a good laugh. o7."

LaughingRam #13 Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:17 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 12832 battles
  • [DEPT]

View Postdan_184_invader, on 29 December 2016 - 04:10 PM, said:

What do you mean by "vertical" tanks? 

LaughingRam #14 Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:30 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 12832 battles
  • [DEPT]

View Post1st_Inf_Div_Vet, on 29 December 2016 - 04:29 PM, said:

Wait for the first dummy to die and push his hull around the battlefield as frontal armor. 

I actually read about someone doing this!

View PostCarnage_Asada_, on 29 December 2016 - 04:33 PM, said:

This is what I'm seeing!

o7

LR

_SuicideKing_ #15 Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:06 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8208 battles
  • [OGRE]

View PostCarnage_Asada_, on 30 December 2016 - 12:33 AM, said:

Exactly

mehliveat #16 Posted 30 December 2016 - 08:16 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 300 battles

View Postusername_null, on 30 December 2016 - 11:09 AM, said:

the DW2 isn't a spearhead heavy, play it like a support tank, don't try to roll right into t5 guns and die, if you want to play a spearhead tank play the is-3 or kv-4 lines

Tier for tier, DW2 is a far better spear head than IS3 or KV-4.  You can pretty easily pen any tier 5 and the 160 vs 200 (typical worst case scenario) trade isn't exactly too bad given you are a tier lower.

In tier 4 games, you typically need to play aggressively and clear off the enemy tier 3s (which you can almost 2 shot), then go work on the tier 4s.  You have to clear off as many reds as possible before your team disintergrates.  Teams at lower tiers tends to vaporise into the thin air, don't yolo, but need to keep pushing, or you will end up 1 vs alot and this is where the buttery armour really hurts.

In tier 5 games, you are essentially a tier 4.5 medium.  (Pretty much a Pz4 or M4 with the AP gun with 0.5 slower ROF and 100 less health)  You can push a front if needed, its not going to be ideal but can make do.

Edited by mehliveat, 30 December 2016 - 08:24 AM.

Rev_ianc_bell #17 Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:21 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 28908 battles
  • [PRD]

View Postmehliveat, on 30 December 2016 - 03:16 AM, said:

Tier for tier, DW2 is a far better spear head than IS3 or KV-4.  You can pretty easily pen any tier 5 and the 160 vs 200 (typical worst case scenario) trade isn't exactly too bad given you are a tier lower.

I couldn't possibly disagree more. The armour profile of the DW2 relies on angle control. While it can be used effectively in front line if top tier even then careless or inexperienced play can easily result in penetrations, engine fire, being CoD'd, or being out dpm'd by multiple enemies.The IS3 is a mobile, high alpha brawler with pre angled armour, its meant for nothing but the first line. KV-fortress? Well, if it ever makes it within sight of the enemy is nigh-impervious to penetration as long as it wiggles its turret a lot.

Commandant of Predator Corps [PRD] (formerly  [PDR-R])

Check out my youtube channel

My profile at wotbstars, wblitz.net  and blitzstars

PRD/PDR-R Website: http://www.predatorswotbclan.org or visit our recruitment thread or our discussion thread RED IN TOOTH AND CLAW 

mehliveat #18 Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:15 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 300 battles

View PostRev_ianc_bell, on 30 December 2016 - 11:21 PM, said:

I couldn't possibly disagree more. The armour profile of the DW2 relies on angle control. While it can be used effectively in front line if top tier even then careless or inexperienced play can easily result in penetrations, engine fire, being CoD'd, or being out dpm'd by multiple enemies.The IS3 is a mobile, high alpha brawler with pre angled armour, its meant for nothing but the first line. KV-fortress? Well, if it ever makes it within sight of the enemy is nigh-impervious to penetration as long as it wiggles its turret a lot.

IS3/KV4's armour are pretty much useless facing tier 9s, doesn't matter if its preangled or not.  Facing 240+ pen tier 9 heavies?  Its all buttery.  Not to mentiont that tier 8 is when people start spamming gold rounds.  So they are pretty much in the exact same standing as the DW facing tier 5s.  In addition, the Russian guns means you have to sit there for an eternality as it aims, offering up more opportunity to get penned.  While DW can snap pretty consistently, especially when the opposition typically have buttery armor.

As to tier 4 games, I am not sure how exactly you are playing the DW to result in easy pens or frequent engine fires, or getting CODed.  Seriously, DW have a crazy turret traverse at 42 degrees + a track traverse of 32.  How is it even possible for it to get CODed? 

ahredstealth #19 Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:19 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 19022 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostCarnage_Asada_, on 29 December 2016 - 06:33 PM, said:

Most medium drivers remember Old Winter Mal...

When the T95 and the E-100 would flank swamp...

So we stopped paying attention to them because we realized they never mattered in the first place.  Eventually they will die and we will have a bit of extra cover.

Today I went to the bathroom and forgot my phone.

There are 256 tiles in the bathroom...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users