February Tournaments

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

Fishy_ #21 Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:35 AM

Mega Scrub

• Players
  • 28162 battles
  • [PRAMO]
We should split phone and tablet tourneys. Tablet players enjoy an advantage that phone players don't get, like better performance and easier aiming. Plus, the screens are bigger so it raises your awareness more. I have played all 3 platforms, and let me tell ya, phone is the worst way to play. Buttons are too small.

Currently First Loser in M48 and Grille

_34 #22 Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:37 AM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

• Players
  • 20552 battles
  • [-TK]

View PostCK_Honeycomb, on 18 January 2017 - 04:35 PM, said:

We should split phone and tablet tourneys. Tablet players enjoy an advantage that phone players don't get, like better performance and easier aiming. Plus, the screens are bigger so it raises your awareness more. I have played all 3 platforms, and let me tell ya, phone is the worst way to play. Buttons are too small.

Yeah! Tablets are so unfair compared to phones! It's impossible to keep up with a tablet player when I'm using my phone! I can barely see anything!

iChangedMyNameAgain #23 Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:37 AM

Loyal M60 Owner

• Players
  • 41665 battles
  • [FLOOP]

View PostCK_Honeycomb, on 18 January 2017 - 07:35 PM, said:

A lot of smartphones have better performance than tablets.

I don't know about other people, but I prefer phone over tablets. :child:

_Pandageddon #24 Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:40 AM

Tunnels Concep

• Players
  • 27838 battles
  • [-TK]

View PostCK_Honeycomb, on 18 January 2017 - 04:35 PM, said:

Sounds like you're a little frustrated they split kbm and touch. If you look at Twister Cup, Team ID (who got 2nd place), had 2 players playing on a phone. When it comes to phone vs tablet, it's just personal preference. ;)

Fishy_ #25 Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:41 AM

Mega Scrub

• Players
  • 28162 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View PostTheMasterStealy141, on 18 January 2017 - 06:37 PM, said:

A lot of smartphones have better performance than tablets.

I don't know about other people, but I prefer phone over tablets. :child:

I guess. I don't want to play with people who are using iPhone 6 and 7 while i'm running on my iPhone5. Too unfair.

Fishy_ #26 Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:42 AM

Mega Scrub

• Players
  • 28162 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View Post_Pandageddon, on 18 January 2017 - 06:40 PM, said:

Sounds like you're a little frustrated they split kbm and touch. If you look at Twister Cup, Team ID (who got 2nd place), had 2 players playing on a phone. When it comes to phone vs tablet, it's just personal preference. ;)

Maybe. It's frustrating when your team is split and there's nothing you can do about it. Oh wait, you guys wouldn't know that feeling. Hmmmm... fortunate.

I'm just gonna go now... We'll see how this plays out.

Edited by CK_Honeycomb, 19 January 2017 - 12:42 AM.

MRobertsRCS #27 Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:43 AM

Supreme Fettuccini

• Players
  • 24521 battles
  • [501ST]

View Post_Pandageddon, on 18 January 2017 - 07:40 PM, said:

Isn't KBM vs Tablet just personal preference?  I've tried KBM and always end up back on my tablet.  PC is just easier to record on. 

My E4 has a cup holder            

_Fuego #28 Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:44 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 27499 battles

Hey Sly,

I'm usually not one to wander to the forums, but this was something I wanted to ask about and clarify in regards to the tournaments.

View PostCC_Sly, on 18 January 2017 - 07:30 PM, said:

Changes
  • Control types will be split for most of the tournaments. Touch controls will have one tournament and Keyboard and Mouse will have a second. They will run at the same time and have the same prizing and rules.

View PostCC_Sly, on 18 January 2017 - 08:01 PM, said:

I am not a fan of it - but they want data on how these thing do. So I am expecting some tournaments to outright fail to get to the 64 team minimum. That will mean they do not run at all.

I believe your reply to PixelRage answered my question, but I just want to explicitly ask this. Is this separation being done solely to gain data on how tournament participation and tournament results are effected by not having mixed control type teams? In other words, is this a test that may not become a permanent change in tournaments?

As with PixelRage's and others concerns, I know this will split many teams during the month. As a long term thing I definitely do not support this at all as I do not see an inherent imbalance between both control types. I know some feel and argue you have advantages on PC as opposed to mobile, but I have yet to see any solid evidence or argument supporting these imbalanced claims. However, as a short term test I find this adequate and acceptable to gain information on the feasibility and effects of having mandatory split control tournaments. I'd actually be interested to see data on how many players participating in the tournaments are on PC or mobile, what the average composition of teams are for both control types, what percentage of winning/losing teams have PC or mobile controls, etc.

ScumbagJuJu #29 Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:44 AM

Community Scumbag

• Players
  • 23469 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View Post_34, on 18 January 2017 - 06:37 PM, said:

Yeah! Tablets are so unfair compared to phones! It's impossible to keep up with a tablet player when I'm using my phone! I can barely see anything!

I play on a phone....

2 Time Twister Cup NA Finalist

Las Vegas Mobile Masters Finalist

Too Many Tourney Championship Rings To Count

COBRAS

_34 #30 Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:44 AM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

• Players
  • 20552 battles
  • [-TK]

View PostCK_Honeycomb, on 18 January 2017 - 04:42 PM, said:

Maybe. It's frustrating when your team is split and there's nothing you can do about it. Oh wait, you guys wouldn't know that feeling. Hmmmm... fortunate.

Yes, rather fortunate indeed.

After reading many comments above and below, I only see people siding with the split from one group of players.

Edited by _34, 19 January 2017 - 12:49 AM.

Bodya_bomber #31 Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:45 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 25007 battles
  • [STORM]

Every clan has their KBM players, so if they want to bring them on, they can. I don't see a reason why split. That would really limit some teams in participating if they have some members on their competition team who play on KB/M.

A keyboard does not make a player good. His map awareness, tactics, shot calling does not improve the second he sits behind a computer screen. The auto aim feature that everyone is hype about on PC sucks at tier 8+, so most of the tourneys at high tiers you're better of playing with TOUCH autoaim.

uR5axVl.png?1

Fishy_ #32 Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:46 AM

Mega Scrub

• Players
  • 28162 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View Post_Fuego, on 18 January 2017 - 06:44 PM, said:

Hey Sly,

I'm usually not one to wander to the forums, but this was something I wanted to ask about and clarify in regards to the tournaments.

I believe your reply to PixelRage answered my question, but I just want to explicitly ask this. Is this separation being done solely to gain data on how tournament participation and tournament results are effected by not having mixed control type teams? In other words, is this a test that may not become a permanent change in tournaments?

As with PixelRage's and others concerns, I know this will split many teams during the month. As a long term thing I definitely do not support this at all as I do not see an inherent imbalance between both control types. I know some feel and argue you have advantages on PC as opposed to mobile, but I have yet to see any solid evidence or argument supporting these imbalanced claims. However, as a short term test I find this adequate and acceptable to gain information on the feasibility and effects of having mandatory split control tournaments. I'd actually be interested to see data on how many players participating in the tournaments are on PC or mobile, what the average composition of teams are for both control types, what percentage of winning/losing teams have PC or mobile controls, etc.

​I like this guy. I need to learn from his poise.

jjraidz #33 Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:46 AM

Doggo

• Players
  • 23074 battles
  • [PRAMO]
I feel all control types should be available for all tournaments.

In the #1 clan in the North American Cluster

Bodya_bomber #34 Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:47 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 25007 battles
  • [STORM]

View Post_Fuego, on 18 January 2017 - 07:44 PM, said:

Hey Sly,

I second this... as long as you guys can release some data so we all can see.
                                                                                                    uR5axVl.png?1

Fishy_ #35 Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:48 AM

Mega Scrub

• Players
  • 28162 battles
  • [PRAMO]
I just hope we get to see the data, unlike the +1/-1 mm "experiment"

Edited by CK_Honeycomb, 19 January 2017 - 12:48 AM.

schematic #36 Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:49 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 44568 battles
  • [GRIM]

Sly, are you aware of any metrics being collected such as frequency of tournaments vs. the participation as opposed to split platforms vs. participation? I would certainly tend to think that 2-4 tournaments per week and lower prize pools will generally lead to lower participation simply due to availability of players,fatigue or it not being worth the time since there's very little gold/credit gain. It would seem that looking at these metrics and experimenting with variables might be valuable as opposed to making an assumption that platform is the sole factor between the variables. One final question, is this test for North America only, or all servers? Curious to hear your thoughts here..

Edited by schematic, 19 January 2017 - 01:14 AM.

Fishy_ #37 Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:50 AM

Mega Scrub

• Players
  • 28162 battles
  • [PRAMO]

Wait a minute... Now that I think about it... what's the point of running an experiment when the two control modes aren't even mixing? What kind of data is WG gonna look at? If anything, there should be a mixed tournament to see if KBM players do better on average than mobile. This doesn't seem right...

EDIT: So I see that there may be one or two mixed ones. Hmmm... I still don't see how this is "scientific"

Edited by CK_Honeycomb, 19 January 2017 - 12:53 AM.

MRobertsRCS #38 Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:51 AM

Supreme Fettuccini

• Players
  • 24521 battles
  • [501ST]
If you force folks who are accustomed to KBM to use a tablet, you'll see the same data as if you force folks who are accustomed to tablets to use phones.   It's not about if one gives an advantage over the other, folks just play better on what they prefer.  

My E4 has a cup holder            

schematic #39 Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:57 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 44568 battles
  • [GRIM]

View PostCK_Honeycomb, on 19 January 2017 - 12:42 AM, said:

I'm just gonna go now... We'll see how this plays out.

considering how we've seen your "pc players" on mobile...you have one leg to stand on. Considering some of your alleged "pc only" players have been playing since 2014, long before pc blitz was available, I'm pretty sure that's both legs gone, so stop the crocodile tears. We have pc players too, with long standing wot pc backgrounds. They, like several people, want to see tournaments on even footing e.g. By Platform/control mode - mobile/touch or kb/m. 

Simple fact is wargaming will inevitably have some unhappy players, they want to test and measure, so let's see where this goes.

Edited by schematic, 19 January 2017 - 01:01 AM.

r0cKeT #40 Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:59 AM

I Blame Rocket

• Players
  • 15527 battles
  • [DD-R]

Thank You CC for the upcoming Tournaments.

And also the separation of the two Platforms.

I've been playing Kbm, and all it does is make me want to switch from Blitz to WOT. 

As one of the Top Contributers to this Game, seems like a bad idea to refocus my spending to a different Platform.

Edited by R0CKET, 19 January 2017 - 01:03 AM.

As productive as that is, I've seen your stats. You aren't even good at predicting the present.

-clever_pseudonym 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users