• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Aventre3 #1 Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:22 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 26323 battles
  • [III-S]

History

The M4A3E8 Fury tank is modeled after its namesake from the movie, so in this section I'll briefly cover a little history of the M4 Sherman tank. If you want more background, I would highly recommend "Armored Thunderbolt" by Steven Zaloga, which I'm reading now. With the advent of WWII, the U.S. found that it was very behind in tank development and techonology. As a stop-gap measure, the M3 Lee was produced while the Army was developing the M4 Sherman tanks. The M4 Sherman ended up being one of the most produced tanks of WWII (along with the Soviet T-34) and was the main battle tank of the Western Allies during the war. When the M4 was first used in combat in Africa, its success against Panzer III and Panzer IV tanks led the US Army to grow complacent in pushing ahead with new tanks. Meanwhile, Germany and the Soviets were in an all out arms race with tanks as they each tried to gain the upper hand on the Eastern Front. Even though the M4 when through a number of variations, by the time the M4 landed in Normandy it was outclassed by the Germany's newer Panther and Tiger tanks. US intelligence had learned of these new tanks, but believed that Germany couldn't make them in enough numbers to justify replacing the M4.  Tank crews would often try and augment their tanks armor by stacking sandbags on the front hull, which can be seen on the 'Fury' tank with the logs strapped to the sides of the hull. Though it is possible that the logs were not intended to supplement the armor. In late 1944, Europe was very wet and muddy and tanks often carried logs strapped together that they could place just in front of the tracks to prevent getting bogged down. Even with this disadvantage in armor, the M4 was successful for its maneuverability, mechanical reliability, and numbers while its small size meant that logistically it was easier to transport M4 Shermans to the front lines.  Of the M4 varients, the M4A3E8 was one of the most successful and was still in use with the U.S. Army in the Korean War, where it was often preferred over the M26 Pershing until they were all replaced with M46 Pattons.

Summary

If you like the M4A3E8 and want a version with a cool paint job and a credit earning bump, this could be a good tank for you. I find the Fury and the Easy8 to be fun and enjoyable tanks to play. Though as a medium tank with more challenging Tier VI Matchmaking, I wouldn't recommend this tank if you aren't comfortable playing medium tanks at this tier. 

Review

I've decided that for any premium tank that I am able to win in an event, I owe it to the community to do a review. I always like seeing other's reviews to help me decide if there is a premium tank that I'd like to add to the garage or which branch in the tech-tree I want to grind next. So I thought I should do a review of the Fury while it is still in the store in case anyone is thinking about picking it up before it disappears. My review will be the old fashion text and picture variety going over the pros and cons of the Fury, with a few screen shots and battle results thrown in. But if you want to watch the Fury in action, check out Hugh Jass’ video review of the Fury. (Notice how Hugh does a great job of using cover so he can get a clean shot, but it is hard to shoot him)

I won a M4A3E8 Fury in the Battle Cry Event, but I told myself that I needed to go back and Ace the tech tree M4A3E8 Sherman (Easy 8) before I could drive the Fury. I mention this only because this additional time driving the Easy 8 only hammered home that this is my favorite Tier VI tank. And we can't talk about the Fury without mentioning its tech-tree counterpart.

The Easy 8 is a great well-rounded tank that excels in on-the-move accuracy and is the only Tier VI medium that can mount a vertical stabilizer (one of my standard pieces of equipment for most tanks). The Easy 8 may not be the fastest tank but has great maneuverability and handling (for circling heavies). The top gun on the Easy 8 has a good rate of fire and respectable penetration and damage.  With typical American gun depression you can use hills and cover with hull-down tactics to your advantage. That being said, I prefer not to get hit at all and don't count on the armor as it isn’t that thick.

Pros

• Best-in-tier on-the-move accuracy (use Vertical Stabilizer)
  • Good DPM (1678 average)
  • Good Gun Depression 
  • Appearance (First tank in Blitz to sport camo) 

Cons

• Low Penetration (AP: 96-160, so carry some APCR: 133-221)
  • Low Damage (120-200)
  • Matchmaking (-1/+2, just like regular Tier VI tanks)
  • Not as mobile as some other Tier VI mediums (Like the Cromwell, but can still circle-of-death heavies)

Battle #38:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

So how is the Fury different from the Easy 8? The Fury is modeled after its namesake in the new Movie of the same name staring Brad Pitt. So the Fury gets a new paint job and has a tiny "FURY" written on the gun barrel. The new paint scheme actually makes the tank right at home in the new Lost Temple map where it blends in with the darker green landscape, though it sticks out in Dead Rail and Black Goldville. Additionally the Fury gets extra details, like a tire on the front of the tank and logs carried along the sides. This all definitely adds a bit of a collector's flair to the tank too.

No premium tank is supposed to be better than an elite tank of the same tier, which means all this extra stuff that Fury is carrying increases the tank’s weight and lowers the top speed, acceleration, and turret traverse. To help compensate the traverse was increased. Even with these changes, the tank still plays similar to the Easy 8, but what I notice is that it is a little more sluggish. It isn't a big difference, but I think the Easy 8 is still has a little bit more zip to it. This decrease in handling is balanced with an increase in the credit earnings as a premium tank (though it still doesn’t earn like the T34 premium). With these changes, I’m currently driving my Fury more than my Easy 8.

Personal Experience

Even with the low penetration and alpha, I've been able to take out plenty of heavily armored tanks by flanking. Though the armor on a KV-4 is all around too tough for the AP arounds, in circle-of-death situations, I've been able to switch to APCR to take out such heavies. Another thing I've noticed about this tank, is that it receives a fair amount of attention on the battlefield. Lots of people want to take out the Fury, so if you can use this to your advantage, you will find red tanks exposing themselves to your teammates just to get a shot at you.

I think the biggest downside for the Fury and Easy 8 currently is the +2/-1 matchmaking. But that hasn’t inhibited my ability to work the Easy 8 win rate up to 55% and my Fury currently has 41 battles with an 65% win rate in mostly solo battles. (I’m maybe only a little better than average, so if this is what I can do, I’m sure you can too.)  With this matchmaking, just be sure to keep a few APCR rounds for those high tier heavies. Though I am still hopeful that matchmaking will be adjusted to be more favorable to the tier generally, or the Fury specifically.

Conclusion

All in all, I would recommend the Fury, as it’s a cool, limited edition, premium version of one of my favorite tanks and maintains excellent gun handling. Here is my moment of confession: Even though I won a Fury in the contest, I actually had purchased it a few days earlier because I wanted to make sure that Fury was in my garage before it disappeared from the store.  But if you aren’t able to spend the money, just go pick up the M4A3E8 ‘Easy 8’ Sherman in the tech tree, find another Easy 8 or Fury to platoon with and go take down some Tigers. See you out there.

Edited by Aventre3, 09 January 2015 - 05:53 PM.

For advice and review of Premium Tanks, please see this post.

Aventre3 #2 Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:24 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 26323 battles
  • [III-S]

My credit earning in Battle #38 above was inhibited by my use of APCR to take down a KV-1S while I was low on health and couldn't easily get around to shoot weak spots. 

Battle #39:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Pretty good credit earnings for a Tier VI tank. No consumables were used

Battle #40:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Even at a loss and using consumables this tank brought in some decent credits.

Edited by Aventre3, 29 December 2014 - 09:01 PM.

WhiteFalcon82 #3 Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:29 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 21847 battles
  • [RIVAL]
the fury is worse than the Easy 8 but it gets more credits soooooooo:teethhappy:

Delta256 #4 Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:59 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10128 battles
  • [IMPR]

View PostWhiteFalcon82, on 12 November 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

the fury is worse than the Easy 8 but it gets more credits soooooooo:teethhappy:

Contrary to belief, it's about the same, the Fury turns faster, but has a lower top speed.

I sometimes drive Warships too.

Aventre3 #5 Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:29 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 26323 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostDelta256, on 12 November 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

Contrary to belief, it's about the same, the Fury turns faster, but has a lower top speed.

You are right! I goofed. I thought I remembered the stats. Anyway I went back and fixed it.

Unicorn143 #6 Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:12 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 34842 battles
Every time I see Fury a Brad Pitt dies. It seems to be one of the easiest tanks to kill. 2 shots from pretty much any tanks kill it. No armor. Weak gun. Usually these Furries or Easy 8 are just a liabilty to a team who that holds it.

Delta256 #7 Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10128 battles
  • [IMPR]

View Postface4stas, on 12 November 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

Every time I see Fury a Brad Pitt dies. It seems to be one of the easiest tanks to kill. 2 shots from pretty much any tanks kill it. No armor. Weak gun. Usually these Furries or Easy 8 are just a liabilty to a team who that holds it.

You can say the exact thing about the VK 30.02 and the T-34-85, until you are the one behind the controls.

Kangthekid #8 Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:24 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 37757 battles

Love my e8,played near 1000 battles,,,aced it like 15+ times,,, olny down side with this tank is with its low alpha I can't get 6/7 kills......best I did are 5killes.....

Aventre3 #9 Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:33 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 26323 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostWhiteFalcon82, on 12 November 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

No premium tank is supposed to be as good as the elite tech tree counter part. But the fury is still mighty good. 

View Postface4stas, on 12 November 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

This is the attitude that let's tankers like me take you down. As a premium with a tie to the movie, it's probably purchased by plenty of tankers that don't know how to drive mediums or handle tier 5-8 battles. Once you run across this tank with a good driver, it's a different story. 

View PostKangthekid, on 12 November 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

Love my e8,played near 1000 battles,,,aced it like 15+ times,,, olny down side with this tank is with its low alpha I can't get 6/7 kills......best I did are 5killes.....

I have no problem getting lots of kills (6-7) in low alpha tanks, though none yet in my E8 or fury. 

Alo8ight #10 Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:41 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 1810 battles
Thank 'Aventre3' for providing everyone with a Fury tank review. This guide will definitely give players an idea of what Fury is all about:great: 

rolleiflex #11 Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:35 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 29272 battles
  • [SKILL]
I had both the Fury and the Easy 8.  I kept the Easy 8 and sold the Fury.  I just couldn't get used to the sluggishness, and my win rate in the Fury was significantly lower than in the Easy 8.

Edited by rolleiflex, 12 November 2014 - 08:36 PM.

US: T110E5    RU: T-62A, IS-7, IS-4, OBJ 268, OBJ 140    DE: E-100, E-50M   UK: FV215b, FV4202   JP: STB-1

Delta256 #12 Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10128 battles
  • [IMPR]

View Postrolleiflex, on 12 November 2014 - 03:35 PM, said:

I had both the Fury and the Easy 8.  I kept the Easy 8 and sold the Fury.  I just couldn't get used to the sluggishness, and my win rate in the Fury was significantly lower than in the Easy 8.

Why would you sell a premium ever though? What you get back for it isn't worth the $15 or so that was spent.

mehliveat #13 Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:53 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 300 battles

View Postface4stas, on 13 November 2014 - 05:12 AM, said:

Two shots from which tanks?

KV-1S?  Sure, but he has to fire HE and does the full damage, but the KV-1S will be dead after the E8/Fury COD him.

M6?  2 shots from the M3 is only 440 damage

VK36?  Same here with the 88, 2 shots is 440 as well, but only a fool would use the 88 with its 132 pen.  So its more likely the 75@160 each.

The mediums, VK32 is 160 per shot, T-34-85 is 200 per shot.

Maybe the TDs?  Only the Su100 can two shot it, but again the reload is almost as bad as KV-1S, and after the taking the first shot, you will be luckily to get a second shot through. 

mehliveat #14 Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:05 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 300 battles

View PostAventre3, on 13 November 2014 - 05:33 AM, said:

No premium tank is supposed to be as good as the elite tech tree counter part. But the fury is still mighty good. 

I think the Fury is probably as close to an elite tank as we will ever get in a premium.

The gun, armour, HP is the same, the difference is in the mobility, and that's only marginal, slower top speed, and turret traverse, but a way faster turning speed.

microcarnage #15 Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:58 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 38777 battles
Aventre, we need to wolfpack our Fury's one of these days.

thunderthies #16 Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:04 AM

Not a Hoax

• Club Wargaming
  • 18003 battles
Thanks for the review, Aventre3! +1

Check out:   WoTB terms, phrases defined v. 2.0

Check out:    iMovie iOS video production tutorial

Check out:           WoTB beginner's guide, tactics

Check out:                   WoTB YouTube channels

rolleiflex #17 Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:01 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 29272 battles
  • [SKILL]

View PostDelta256, on 12 November 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

Why would you sell a premium ever though? What you get back for it isn't worth the $15 or so that was spent.

Because it was THAT MUCH of a frustration and disappointment as compared to the Easy 8.  I also sold my Panther/M10 for similar reasons - my win rate with it was significantly lower than my other averages and was just not fun to play.  For me, sluggish mediums with low win rates are not worth keeping in the garage.  The only premiums I have now are the T-127 and the T34, both of which are fun to play.

US: T110E5    RU: T-62A, IS-7, IS-4, OBJ 268, OBJ 140    DE: E-100, E-50M   UK: FV215b, FV4202   JP: STB-1

Unicorn143 #18 Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 34842 battles

P/M10 is a very educational tank. One can learn a lot playing it.

1. It is getting not really favorable matchmaking even it is +/-1.  Most of the time P/M10 stays in company of junk mediums like Fury or Easy 8 when opponents are granted a tier VII - T29 plus two tier VI - KV-S.

2. M10 fights against all tiers as it has a very poor armor. T-29 or IS do not make effort to kill tier V tanks because those could not pen it from the front. Also T-29 in most cases has no troubles with tier VI tanks.  M10 battles even with tier V tanks as they pen it right trough.

3.  It is usually not possible to utilize sniper strengths of the M10 (good accuracy). P/M10 should run ahead of itself to fight enemy heavies that they do not destroy all mediums in its team. Remember Panther is always placed in a team with junk mediums that COULD NOT face heavy tanks from the red team. Typical matchmaking: Panther, Fury, Easy 8 against T29, KV-S, KV-S. Unless having a very experienced operator Fury and Easy 8 would not stay a minute without a Panther support against a single KV-S. So P/M10 should immediately engage enemy heavies to distract them from friendly weak mediums or TDs.

In order to win Panther has to kill T-29 and at least of one the KV-S. Challenging ? O yes.

If you can win on this MM you can win everywhere. After that playing IS-6 would be an easy ride.

Edited by face4stas, 13 November 2014 - 08:50 PM.

Aventre3 #19 Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:27 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 26323 battles
  • [III-S]

View Postmehliveat, on 12 November 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

I think the Fury is probably as close to an elite tank as we will ever get in a premium.

The gun, armour, HP is the same, the difference is in the mobility, and that's only marginal, slower top speed, and turret traverse, but a way faster turning speed.

I like how you think, but i'm not sure of that, its like a Easy 8 with a slightly smaller engine? Regardless I'm liking the Fury and I still like the Easy 8. 

View Postmicrocarnage, on 12 November 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

Aventre, we need to wolfpack our Fury's one of these days.

Definitely! Look for me!

View Postthunderthies, on 12 November 2014 - 08:04 PM, said:

Thanks for the review, Aventre3! +1

Thanks!

View Postrolleiflex, on 13 November 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

Because it was THAT MUCH of a frustration and disappointment as compared to the Easy 8.  I also sold my Panther/M10 for similar reasons - my win rate with it was significantly lower than my other averages and was just not fun to play.  For me, sluggish mediums with low win rates are not worth keeping in the garage.  The only premiums I have now are the T-127 and the T34, both of which are fun to play.

I gotta say, I would never sell a premium. You only get credits, something that you could earn with the premium tank that you just sold. Did you even give them a chance? It always takes an adjustment period to learn a new tank. Same for my T34, Fury, Panther/M10, T-127, M3 Light...   And I have to agree with you about the Panther/M10 just as I did about the Fury, I'm a big fan of both. I'll be doing a review of the Panther/M10 sometime in the future, though I'm in no rush.

View Postface4stas, on 13 November 2014 - 12:40 PM, said:

P/M10 is a very educational tank. One can learn a lot playing it.

Yup love the Panther/M10. Will be reviewing it next. I don't play it as a sniper, I play it as a medium, but don't hesitate to take long shots. Though there are plenty of times you are in a Tier VIII match and definitely aren't a front line tank then. I would definitely have to disagree though when you call the other tanks 'junk mediums' they can really rock with a good driver.

View PostAlo8ight, on 12 November 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

Thank 'Aventre3' for providing everyone with a Fury tank review. This guide will definitely give players an idea of what Fury is all about:great: 

Thanks Alo8ight! If you (or anyone else) has feedback about what I should add or do differently let me know.

Edited by Aventre3, 13 November 2014 - 06:29 PM.

mehliveat #20 Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:05 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 300 battles

View PostAventre3, on 14 November 2014 - 05:27 AM, said:

like how you think, but i'm not sure of that, its like a Easy 8 with a slightly smaller engine? Regardless I'm liking the Fury and I still like the Easy 8. 

They both have the GAA at 520HP, but Brad Pitt weighs 4 tonnes.

My E8 run was quite a while back, so I can't directly compare the speed of the two.  But it doesn't feel that different and fast enough to get to places.

Also tagged with Fury, M4A3E8, Premium Tank, Review

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users