Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 10396 battles
  • [LGEND]

ARL 44:

Pros:

• Good frontal armor for Tier 6 when angled at about 15-20 degrees
  • High penetration allowing the ARL to deal with tough opponents more easily
  • Slim turret from the front causes difficulties for the enemy in shooting you if you are swaying back and forth (Upgraded Turret)
  • Good mobility when it comes to driving forward
  • New tank just released, people don't know how to deal with you.
  • Large healthpool (1000)
  • Great gun depression

Cons:

• Disgusting track traverse when stock and mediocre even with upgraded tracks, consumables and 100% crew and vents
  • Bulky, large and long body making corners a hazard, side profile is massive
  • Well below average side armor and trash rear armor, prone to HE shells
  • Stock turret creates tears

Though there are many other good and bad things that I could say about the ARL, I will begin with this:

When first unlocking the ARL44, the image presented to be was as if someone beheaded an SU 100Y and sewed it on top of a Churchill hull that was painted teal. The stock grind for the turret won't be too enjoyable but once the turret is unlocked, new potential for the ARL 44 will be presented and the horror of the box-head will be over.

Research Guide That I'd Recommend in Chronological Order:

1. Turret
  2. Gun
  3. Tracks
  4. Engine
  5. Gun (Of Your Choice)

After looking at the top two guns (A 105mm and a 90mm), it would depend on one's playstyle on which gun to choose. Personally, I would pick the 90 mm due to the superior DPM and penetrations but the 105 boasts a better alpha, better for trading against higher tiered opponents. 

Playstyle:

Due to the poor track traverse, you should never stick to the back of the group in your team to avoid being the main participant of a COD. With the ARL44 boasting 120mm of frontal armor, with proper angling, you can bounce the majority of shells coming your way. An additional bonus would be the great gun depression of the tank allowing you to crest hills relatively confidently. The ARL struggles with 2 on 1 situation due to the poor side and rear armor so try to stick with the majority of your teammates to avoid this situation. As for positioning, being hull down in the ARL doesn't ask for much because the upper frontal glacis covers the majority of the frontal hull. Thus, you only need a small hill to cover up your lower plate. However, being hull down doesn't do too much for you because your turret, even when upgraded, isn't as tough as the hull. The ARL 44 is a comparable tier 6 version of a tiger 2 when it comes to armor.

Some of these tactics may help optimize your performance in battle:

• Always have one eye on the minimap, you can afford to take a hit or two due to your large healthpool but saving those hitpoints for later could be the determining factor of the outcome of the battle. Constantly stay aware of which enemy is where
  • Angle your tank at about 15-20 degrees to optimize the armor. The side armor is weak and over-angling may cause unintended damage to your tank
  • Use your mobility. Changing flanks is a common thing to do and the ARL excels at doing so with its good mobility. Analyze the situation and use your mobility to get into position.
  • Hang around the 2nd line of tanks in your team. Your side armor isn't good enough and your incapable teammates will serve as good meatshields for you to clutch a victory. (Only applicable to some situations)
  • Sidescrape whenever possible, but don't OVER-ANGLE

Equipment (My preference):

• Ventilation
  • Coated Optics
  • Gun Rammer

WG gave the new French branch much love and if you think about it, too much love. Though I'd hate to see any of the positive aspects being removed from the ARL, I am certain that it will happen sometime int he future.

Good luck on the battlefield!

-Ebatrionaty 

My YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Kp4oxJDWzZ3BVLByKB3lg (I don't post much)

Edited by Ebatrionaty, 05 March 2017 - 05:12 PM.

[My Loves: SP1C, LTTB, KV-2]

reluctanttheist #2 Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:23 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 16906 battles
  • [III-H]
Great review.  Lol'd at the SU100 bit.  The stock turret is atrocious.

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Watch the WoTB Users Manual Series  | Click here if you have lag  |  The best settings for your iOS device |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  | Get good: watch Bushka! | Check out tanks on Tank Compare

RageKicker #3 Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:23 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3850 battles
  • [MOM5]
Good review.

Cake is life.

LoweExpectations #4 Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:35 PM

Icelandic

• Players
  • 14159 battles
  • [STORM]

Block Quote

When first unlocking the ARL44, the image presented to be was as if someone beheaded an SU 100Y and sewed it on top of a Churchill hull that was painted teal. 

:ohmy: I'm calling the M60 police to report this heinous act!

Honors: Most Mentally Insane Leopard PTA Driver, Pioneer of the Dracuyolo, Guides.

I_am_not_LOL #5 Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:59 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 79 battles
So apparently 30 degrees of track traverse is bad? What are you talking about?

Ebatrionaty #6 Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:10 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 10396 battles
  • [LGEND]

View PostI_am_not_LOL, on 05 March 2017 - 04:59 PM, said:

So apparently 30 degrees of track traverse is bad? What are you talking about?

When stock, the ARL's Track traverse is more around the 20's and 30 degrees is nothing to be proud of considering the high mobility of the tanks.

Point taken however, edited.

Edited by Ebatrionaty, 05 March 2017 - 05:12 PM.

Ebatrionaty #7 Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:38 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 10396 battles
  • [LGEND]

Follow the Guide, it will help

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users