AMX M4 mle. 45 is a heavy challenge to drive effectively

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

EdAWACSdenyY #1 Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:43 AM

Resident Nice Guy of the Forums

• Players
  • 33957 battles
  • [DEF_7]

Here are my first impressions of the Tier 7 French heavy tank after upgrading all modules but with only 80 % crew running the croissant provision and with full equipment loadout including ventilation, gun rammer, and gun laying drive.

This tank is the most average tank of tier 7 and while it has some things going for it, the mediocrity of its general characteristics makes this tank underwhelming compared to its predecessor. This tank has a lot of things going against it and few things going for it.

The tank in terms of armor is a set down from the ARL 44 and has the same terrible side and rear armor that the ARL 44 has. However, your upper glacis plate is now 30 mm thinner and your lower glacis is a lot bigger meaning any tank can pen you from the front. Also while being even more poorly armored, it actually has a much bigger side profile meaning you are much easier to hit.

The mobility of this tank is average, it has a decent power to weight ratio when upgraded with the tier 9 engine, but the tank is limited to a top speed of 35 km per hour. The American T29 has the same speed limit as the AMX M4 mle. 45. So this is a fairly mobile heavy tank but not mobile enough to act as a heavy medium tank due to the paper armor. I personally will not advise trying to flank with this tank as this gives enemies a wonderful shot at your thin side armor. It's good enough to catch up with some mediums but that's about it.

The gun is a mixed bag for me, it has good penetration, decent rate of fire and alpha damage for its tier. You will rarely have to load the APCR ammunition for the 90 mm SA-47. However, as with all french tanks, this gun is hindered by an atrocious aim time of 3 seconds and passable dispersion at best. You really have to plan out your shots with this gun and let it fully aim, and even then sometimes it misses completely. This makes long range sniping of weak spots inadvisable unless the target is exposed out in the open or stands still. If you are able to let the gun aim it performs fairly well.

The turret is decent and will bounce shots but the 2 rounded cheeks can be easily penned and the mantlet is quite small. This tank does have good gun depression and is able to work ridgelines fairly well.

This tank I feel is best played like a medium range, hulldown support tank. Peek a boo and side scraping can work if you allow camo to reset and preaim your shots.

It's a challenging tank to drive and if you can master it will somewhat prepare you for the AMX-50 100.

Proud owner of Her Majesty's MBT the Centurion Mk 7/1

Armed with the Royal Ordnance 105 mm L7A1 Gun

wishyboy #2 Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:11 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 11266 battles

I haven't started this line yet, so thanks for the heads up.

I've heard many compare it's size and mobility to the Chi-Ri. At least the chi-ri has it's autoloader to compensate for the disadvantages. I don't really see this vehicle being anything more than a support tank. All it's characteristics function, but can't be relied upon (armor values, gun performance, mobility). It's kinda like a prototype for the FCM50t hypothetically speaking. The penetration on that gun was amazing at tier 6, but should still be decent enough at tier 7. 

If anything, I think improving the gunhandling would put the tank in a sweet spot, but I don't think anything like that is necessary. Every line has at least 1 lemon and like you said this tank disciplines and prepares players for the autoloaders.

Personally my favorite tanks have always been the somewhat painful ones, they have character. Good luck with the rest of the line, Would be cool if you kept us posted for each tier.

TengenToppaPotatoLagann #3 Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:51 AM

ᵐʸ ʰᵉˢʰ ʷᶦᶫᶫ ᵖᶦᵉʳᶜᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ʰᵉᵃᵛᵉᶰˢ﹗

• Players
  • 62125 battles
  • [RNG_Y]

Not at 100% means all of your medium and TD crew skills aren't applied. Smooth ride, smooth turret traverse, clutch braking, smooth turn... You see where I'm headed with this, right?

That said, I'm not looking forward to this tank, and I might just skip right past it. Seems very underwhelming, like a tier seven m6. 

#2 TOG pilot (na) (retired)

View Postminitel_NA, on 13 January 2018 - 03:06 AM, said:

when I’m tired I think I’m good.

MayoNasalSpray #4 Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:19 PM

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Players
  • 32942 battles
  • [MSELF]

View PostTengenToppaPotatoLagann, on 27 February 2017 - 05:51 AM, said:

Not at 100% means all of your medium and TD crew skills aren't applied. Smooth ride, smooth turret traverse, clutch braking, smooth turn... You see where I'm headed with this, right?

That said, I'm not looking forward to this tank, and I might just skip right past it. Seems very underwhelming, like a tier seven m6. 

Are you sure? My Deadly Accuracy skill activated in every tank I have had with a 75-99% crew. I am pretty sure they still apply.

blindsniper74 #5 Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 41574 battles
  • [III-R]
The gun depression is excellent, though... makes a good ridge fighter.  As you said, the turret, at an angle, can bounce quite a few shots.  I only have a few battles in it, but like it.  Time will tell.

GenericMIKE #6 Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:56 PM

The Most Generic Tanker in Blitz

• Players
  • 31391 battles
  • [COFFY]
This tank I grinded all in 1 day from a 75% crew (and double food, top fuel, and equipment). I felt this tank was very enjoyable and easy to play. Its not the best sniper so don't camp, but its not a frontline tank either. Its a secondary support tank, but with pub players you most likely will have to go on the frontline and it still works but you need to play more cautiously. Use that superb gun depression and I hope your using the 90mm with that fantastic dpm. Goes through any tank like butter. Enjoyed even playing it against tier 8's.

You can visit Blitz Guru for current news, updates, map guides, tank guides and more!

__Karma #7 Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:11 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25172 battles
  • [PPSYK]

This tank was awesome. Best power to weight ratio for a tier 7 heavy if I remember correctly, it's very fast, good gun handling, good dpm, usable armour(better at bouncing than arl). I have nothing bad to say about this tank. Really fun and easy to use.

EdAWACSdenyY #8 Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:21 AM

• Players
  • 33957 battles
  • [DEF_7]
The turret armor is good at times. Today I bounced an AP shell from the 150mm gun on a Borsig on the turret face of my AMX M4 mle. 45 Even the French tanks have their moments 

EdAWACSdenyY #9 Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:26 AM

• Players
  • 33957 battles
  • [DEF_7]

View PostGenericMIKE, on 27 February 2017 - 06:56 AM, said:

This tank I grinded all in 1 day from a 75% crew (and double food, top fuel, and equipment). I felt this tank was very enjoyable and easy to play. Its not the best sniper so don't camp, but its not a frontline tank either. Its a secondary support tank, but with pub players you most likely will have to go on the frontline and it still works but you need to play more cautiously. Use that superb gun depression and I hope your using the 90mm with that fantastic dpm. Goes through any tank like butter. Enjoyed even playing it against tier 8's.

I am using the 90 mm and it is pretty good. Just when the enemy is hull down it's almost pointless to snipe weakspots so I just relocate for a better shot

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users