Converting gold vs. buying Premium Tanks

premium gold

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

CptCheez #1 Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:04 PM

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

• Players
  • 15398 battles

A lot of people have asked the question of which Premium tank is best for credit grinding.  I finally had 2 almost identical games in my T34 and Panther/M10 to compare the credit earning potential of each.  Here's the screencaps.

First up is the Panther/M10, with 3595 damage, 1 kill, and a team loss.

Next up is the T34, 3 kills, and a team win.

In terms of resupply/repair costs, both were about the same at around 11,000.  Damage was almost identical in both matches, and I don't think I had any "assisted damage" in either that really made any difference.

Clearly there's differences in # of kills and the fact that the T34 was a win and the M10 was a loss.  According to this chart for XP and credit modifiers, you don't actually get any credit bonus for kill shots.  You do get an XP bonus, but that's not what we're talking about here.  And the victory vs. loss bonus for credits is very small as well.  There is no credit bonus for surviving a battle, so the fact that I died in one and lived in the other is irrelevant. What it comes down to is that these 2 games were about as identical as I could make them to compare earnings, except for the absence of the very small modifier to the "Joining a Game" credit bonus you get for a victory.

Everything else being equal, the T34 earned 31.2 credits per point of damage done.  The Panther/M10 earned 24 credits per point of damage.  What this basically means is that my M10 earns about 25% fewer credits than the T34.  But the M10 also costs a lot less to buy than the T34, so we have to continue on and do more maths!

Cost of tank vs. buying gold and converting to credits
If you buy gold and convert it directly to credits in the game, the conversion rate is 1 gold = 400 credits.  So the decision now comes down to: Do I just straight up buy the gold and convert it, or is it more worthwhile to use the gold to buy a Premium tank and EARN the credits?  Now we have to do some calculations on how much the tanks would cost in credits, and therefore how many credits you have to earn in that tank before you're into what I call "Profit Mode", that being credits earned beyond what you would've gotten for a straight conversion.  Up until that point, you're still making up for the cost of buying the tank instead of outright gold conversion.

• The T34 costs 7600 gold, which would be 3,040,000 credits.  Using the credits per damage from above, that's effectively 97,436 damage needed to equalize the cost.  Once you get past that damage #, you're into "profit".  In my T34, my average damage per battle is 1765, so I would only need 55 battles to get into "profit" mode in the T34.
  • The Panther/M10 costs 4750 gold, which would be 1,900,000 credits.  That comes out to 79,167 damage needed to equal the cost of buying gold and converting.  My average damage in this tank is 1584 per battle, so I would need 50 battles to get into "profit".

Of course, there are other factors at play, since you do get small credit bonuses for victories and assisted damage.  But this gives a good overview.  In the end what this tells me is that, because I generally do more damage per battle in the T34, and because the T34 earns more credits per point of damage, and because it only takes 5 more battles before I get into Profit Mode, that's the better credit grinding tank for me.  YMMV (Your mileage may vary), obviously.

If anyones wants to share the credits per damage number for an IS-6, we can do the math on that one or any of the lower tier Premiums too.  I didn't bother doing this with my T2 Light or T-15 because I don't play those to grind credits.  They're just for fun. :)

"When the going gets tough and the stomach acids flow, 
The cold wind of conformity is nipping at your nose.
When some trendy new atrocity has brought you to your knees
Come with us we'll sail the Seas of Cheese."

someguyfromPitt #2 Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:18 PM

Jeez Louise that one bounced

• Players
  • 56350 battles
  • [III-R]
Great write up. +1

Tanking in Blitz since July 2014

95 tanks in the garage, 26 premiums, 14 collectors, 25 tier X

The 30th member of Triarii, joined August 2014

RIP TankBoom Podcast

mmohaupt #3 Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:34 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 11861 battles
  • [III-R]

What is also interesting is if you look at the Non-Premium time numbers. Your still making bank with the T-34. It was worth every penny.

~M

_TheMessiah #4 Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:35 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 23031 battles
  • [-STD]
:great:Nice .

mdana #5 Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:42 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5259 battles
Good job and hopefully will help answer some of the "what is the best premium tank?" questions that come up. 

T18, T29, T34, T26E4 SuperPershing, M46 Patton, M103, T110E5

IS-3, IS-6, KV-4, KV-5, ST-I

Panther II, VK 45.02 B

Comet

CptCheez #6 Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:47 PM

• Players
  • 15398 battles

View Postmmohaupt, on 17 November 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:

What is also interesting is if you look at the Non-Premium time numbers. Your still making bank with the T-34. It was worth every penny.

~M

Absolutely!  I used my Premium Time numbers, but if we go with Standard:

T34 = 20.8 credits per dmg

Panther/M10 = 16 credits per dmg

We still get that same ~25% difference.  M10 would need 118,750 damage or 75 games to break even.  T34 would need 146,154 damage or 83 games to break even.  Still a small difference in # of games before you're making profit.

View Postmdana, on 17 November 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

Good job and hopefully will help answer some of the "what is the best premium tank?" questions that come up. 

Thanks!  I'll be happy to add any other Premium Tanks (Löwe, Super Pershing, etc.) to the post if someone wants to post their numbers.  Should probably stick to Tier V or higher, since I don't think anybody really uses the little ones to grind credits.

gregm #7 Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:07 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 8081 battles

Nice dude

Guderian5266 #8 Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:29 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 31781 battles
  • [III-S]

Excellent CptCheez! So assuming your stats, once a person hits the 50-ish games mark, it becomes pure "profit" after that in either tank. At that point the T34 excels, making more

credits (free profit) per game. Assuming someone runs only 5 games per day in their premium, it only takes about 10 days for you to hit "profit" zone.

Community Pledge Signer

jensen215_ #9 Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:55 PM

Scientia Potentia Est

• Players
  • 13400 battles
  • [IMPR]
Hey you stole my avatar

Commander of The Imperium

We Will Rise Again, The Empire is dead, long live the Empire, The Imperium has risen

Carry a noob and he will have victory for a battle teach a man to carry and he will lead to domination        

MLFSiS1.png

Click on the CWG Game Guru tag for my Guides

Fwarnt #10 Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:04 PM

Grand Poobah

• Players
  • 23650 battles
  • [III-S]
Nice write up Cpt Cheez!

Mr_BushyBeard #11 Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:13 PM

The rent-a-cop

• Players
  • 13413 battles
  • [III-H]

THAT POST WAS MUCH LESS THAN CHEEZY. Great post!

Still glad I got the 34.

+1

WHO NEEDS ARTY WHEN YOU’VE GOT RNG TO MAGICALLY SCREW YOU?

Formerly “Augustus_Sohn”; lost a bet to my son and this was his pick. 

CptCheez #12 Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:52 PM

• Players
  • 15398 battles

For comparison's sake, here's a non-premium Tier VIII tank, the KV-4, with similar stats in a game.

KV-4, 3549 damage, 0 kills, team win.

89631 credits for 3549 damage = 25.2 credits per point of damage.  Compare that to a Premium heavy of the same tier, the above T34's credit/dmg ratio of 31.2.  The Panther/M10's ratio was slightly lower at 24, but that's also one tier lower, which accounts for the difference.  At some point I'll try to get a similar game in a Tier VII medium to compare directly to the Panther/M10.

_Meta #13 Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19456 battles
  • [SRT-]

I'd love to see the difference between the IS-6 and the T34. I've been debating between the two as an upgraded grinder over my SU-100Y. 

ETA: To me the T34 would seem to be more valuable since the added premium time would increase the overall profit. Just trying to maximize the money spent vs the return. 

Edited by metaboculous68, 20 November 2014 - 05:57 PM.

"It's a fool that goes into battle and doesn't use every tool at his disposal. If you ever catch yourself in a "fair" fight, you deserve to lose."-- Meta

sheriffsherman #14 Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 24534 battles

View PostCptCheez, on 17 November 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

A lot of people have asked the question of which Premium tank is best for credit grinding.  I finally had 2 almost identical games in my T34 and Panther/M10 to compare the credit earning potential of each.  Here's the screencaps.

First up is the Panther/M10, with 3595 damage, 1 kill, and a team loss.

Next up is the T34, 3 kills, and a team win.

In terms of resupply/repair costs, both were about the same at around 11,000.  Damage was almost identical in both matches, and I don't think I had any "assisted damage" in either that really made any difference.

Clearly there's differences in # of kills and the fact that the T34 was a win and the M10 was a loss.  According to this chart for XP and credit modifiers, you don't actually get any credit bonus for kill shots.  You do get an XP bonus, but that's not what we're talking about here.  And the victory vs. loss bonus for credits is very small as well.  There is no credit bonus for surviving a battle, so the fact that I died in one and lived in the other is irrelevant. What it comes down to is that these 2 games were about as identical as I could make them to compare earnings, except for the absence of the very small modifier to the "Joining a Game" credit bonus you get for a victory.

Everything else being equal, the T34 earned 31.2 credits per point of damage done.  The Panther/M10 earned 24 credits per point of damage.  What this basically means is that my M10 earns about 25% fewer credits than the T34.  But the M10 also costs a lot less to buy than the T34, so we have to continue on and do more maths!

Cost of tank vs. buying gold and converting to credits
If you buy gold and convert it directly to credits in the game, the conversion rate is 1 gold = 400 credits.  So the decision now comes down to: Do I just straight up buy the gold and convert it, or is it more worthwhile to use the gold to buy a Premium tank and EARN the credits?  Now we have to do some calculations on how much the tanks would cost in credits, and therefore how many credits you have to earn in that tank before you're into what I call "Profit Mode", that being credits earned beyond what you would've gotten for a straight conversion.  Up until that point, you're still making up for the cost of buying the tank instead of outright gold conversion.

• The T34 costs 7600 gold, which would be 3,040,000 credits.  Using the credits per damage from above, that's effectively 97,436 damage needed to equalize the cost.  Once you get past that damage #, you're into "profit".  In my T34, my average damage per battle is 1765, so I would only need 55 battles to get into "profit" mode in the T34.
  • The Panther/M10 costs 4750 gold, which would be 1,900,000 credits.  That comes out to 79,167 damage needed to equal the cost of buying gold and converting.  My average damage in this tank is 1584 per battle, so I would need 50 battles to get into "profit".

Of course, there are other factors at play, since you do get small credit bonuses for victories and assisted damage.  But this gives a good overview.  In the end what this tells me is that, because I generally do more damage per battle in the T34, and because the T34 earns more credits per point of damage, and because it only takes 5 more battles before I get into Profit Mode, that's the better credit grinding tank for me.  YMMV (Your mileage may vary), obviously.

If anyones wants to share the credits per damage number for an IS-6, we can do the math on that one or any of the lower tier Premiums too.  I didn't bother doing this with my T2 Light or T-15 because I don't play those to grind credits.  They're just for fun. :)

very insightful and informative, thanx for taking the time to do this

FIRST TO 200 TANKS ON BLITZ!!!

I'm a gen 1 gamer, been crushing bad guys since the 1970s

Asiaticus #15 Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:47 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 16340 battles
Thanks for the analysis. Very useful to have actual data.

CptCheez #16 Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:34 PM

• Players
  • 15398 battles

View Postmetaboculous68, on 20 November 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

I'd love to see the difference between the IS-6 and the T34. I've been debating between the two as an upgraded grinder over my SU-100Y. 

ETA: To me the T34 would seem to be more valuable since the added premium time would increase the overall profit. Just trying to maximize the money spent vs the return. 

I'd be happy to do this for an IS-6, I just don't own it.  If someone else wants to post a screenshot of a similar 3500-ish damage game in their IS-6, I'll crunch the numbers.

Also tagged with premium, gold

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users