• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

WriterDude #1 Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:32 PM

My Posts Are Forum Prammo

• Players
  • 23511 battles
  • [SCRAM]

Hey Everyone,

Just captured a quick video today - it has been a long weekend, and this is actually a win (although in the true spirit of Blue Collar Blitz, I didn't survive the battle). 

I did a simple voiceover (no script - sorry for the number of "Ums" on the audio). Please let me know what you think.

thanks,

-WriterDude

Worthy of focus fire by SPUDX.  Potato Cred Link

"In Blitz, there's a certain value in expeditiously moving to the inevitable." -WriterDude

Gladsfur #2 Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:11 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 92125 battles
  • [INRI]

Nice video, your comentary was fine. Make some more.

__Waterman__ #3 Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:28 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18738 battles
  • [101A]
Gg writerDude. Congrats.

Gitgudm9 #4 Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:33 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15399 battles
  • [MAHOU]
Great video. Commentary is always good, too.

"Anime girls were made to be lewded." - Klaus_Klavier

dayton07277 #5 Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:37 AM

(SMH)

• Players
  • 32199 battles
  • [CROWN]

View PostWriterDude, on 16 April 2017 - 03:32 PM, said:

Hey Everyone,

Just captured a quick video today - it has been a long weekend, and this is actually a win (although in the true spirit of Blue Collar Blitz, I didn't survive the battle). 

I did a simple voiceover (no script - sorry for the number of "Ums" on the audio). Please let me know what you think.

thanks,

-WriterDude

GG WD!! Once you start scripting your vids will be super!

Edited by dayton07277, 17 April 2017 - 12:38 AM.

WriterDude #6 Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:58 AM

• Players
  • 23511 battles
  • [SCRAM]

View PostGladsfur, on 16 April 2017 - 05:11 PM, said:

Nice video, your comentary was fine. Make some more.

View Post__Waterman__, on 16 April 2017 - 05:28 PM, said:

Gg writerDude. Congrats.

View PostGitgudm9, on 16 April 2017 - 05:33 PM, said:

Great video. Commentary is always good, too.

View Postdayton07277, on 16 April 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

GG WD!! Once you start scripting your vids will be super!

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the comments. I'm thinking that I'm in the process of rehabbing my tier 5 tanks, so I may start there with the M4 Sherman and the M10 Wolverine.

And yes, I know I need to script the video, if only to keep myself on track. It's very blue collar for me to make it up as I go along, but it makes it hard to listen to.

"In Blitz, there's a certain value in expeditiously moving to the inevitable." -WriterDude

Confused_Teletubby #7 Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:01 AM

LOOΠΔ

• Players
  • 15782 battles
  • [SRT]

Great video! You have great commentary skills. 

I feel like your commentary at times was muffled by the loud in-game volume. Is there anyway to lower the in-game volume or raise your commentary volume?

Bbm_14 #8 Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:05 AM

Simia est simia, etiamsi purpura vestiatur

• Players
  • 25268 battles
  • [DD-R]

Nice 'boots on the ground' vid!

Keep em coming.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk, that  will teach you to keep your mouth shut" - Ernest Hemingway

========================================

WriterDude #9 Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:07 AM

• Players
  • 23511 battles
  • [SCRAM]

View PostMAJIME, on 16 April 2017 - 08:01 PM, said:

Great video! You have great commentary skills. 

I feel like your commentary at times was muffled by the loud in-game volume. Is there anyway to lower the in-game volume or raise your commentary volume?

I can redo it - would give me a chance to redo the voiceover too lol. Basically the game audio is recorded with the video, so I'll watch that recording volume next time. 

PA60Pilot #10 Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:47 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 31814 battles
  • [TITAN]

Nice job, and thanks for your kind words regarding our clan members.

A couple of suggestions to consider...

1.  Taking a low-probability shot at a quickly-moving target (t25AT), while you're unspotted, and the only green tank within 100m is worth thinking twice about.  Remember that shooting through a transparent bush nullifies the camo it is providing you, and you may very well get spotted in a position where you simply have no support.  An alternative plan might be to simply continue spotting, and trying to get the attention of a teammate or two, who will be eager to get their one shot worth of damage in before they die.

2.  I personally am not a fan of charging through the middle of a battlefield when there are red tanks on either side of me.  I am of the opinion that if I don't survive, our team won't win.  I've just seen too many "un-loseable" games lost my my teammates who can't close the deal.  I play much more conservatively as a result...perhaps too much so at times.  Consider moving to support your AT from "outside-in", by moving around the outside of the battlefield farther to the left.  The time difference is negligible, and it probably would have saved you from taking those 400+ total damage hits you took while moving through the middle.  That 400 HP would have saved you against the Drac, and you'd have survived the rest of the battle.

3.  I'd recommend swapping out the fire extinguisher for adrenaline.  That'll help you get off another shot or two of damage per game, and if you quit letting people shoot you in the butt (see #2), you won't need another fire extinguisher.

There's always things we see we could have done better in retrospect, and video recordings really shine a harsh spotlight on our flaws.  I've recently started recording my battles as well...not so much to try to build a YouTube cult, but to better see areas I can improve on, and to show some of the great platoon mates I work with from time to time.  Kudos to you for posting your video here on the forum...I'm not ready for that yet.

"Now they're gonna come for us" - Anonymous Spawn Camping M6 - after rest of team destroyed

WriterDude #11 Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:09 AM

• Players
  • 23511 battles
  • [SCRAM]

View PostPA60Pilot, on 18 April 2017 - 09:47 PM, said:

Nice job, and thanks for your kind words regarding our clan members.

A couple of suggestions to consider...

1.  Taking a low-probability shot at a quickly-moving target (t25AT), while you're unspotted, and the only green tank within 100m is worth thinking twice about.  Remember that shooting through a transparent bush nullifies the camo it is providing you, and you may very well get spotted in a position where you simply have no support.  An alternative plan might be to simply continue spotting, and trying to get the attention of a teammate or two, who will be eager to get their one shot worth of damage in before they die.

2.  I personally am not a fan of charging through the middle of a battlefield when there are red tanks on either side of me.  I am of the opinion that if I don't survive, our team won't win.  I've just seen too many "un-loseable" games lost my my teammates who can't close the deal.  I play much more conservatively as a result...perhaps too much so at times.  Consider moving to support your AT from "outside-in", by moving around the outside of the battlefield farther to the left.  The time difference is negligible, and it probably would have saved you from taking those 400+ total damage hits you took while moving through the middle.  That 400 HP would have saved you against the Drac, and you'd have survived the rest of the battle.

3.  I'd recommend swapping out the fire extinguisher for adrenaline.  That'll help you get off another shot or two of damage per game, and if you quit letting people shoot you in the butt (see #2), you won't need another fire extinguisher.

There's always things we see we could have done better in retrospect, and video recordings really shine a harsh spotlight on our flaws.  I've recently started recording my battles as well...not so much to try to build a YouTube cult, but to better see areas I can improve on, and to show some of the great platoon mates I work with from time to time.  Kudos to you for posting your video here on the forum...I'm not ready for that yet.

This is exactly the response I was hoping someone would offer. Thank you so much for the help.

1. Yes. I need to hold fire on low-percentage shots in more situations. Unspotted, I had an advantage that was wasted.

2. This hurts to hear, but it's truth. Even after almost 18,500 battles, I still squander health for no clear reward. Biggest flaw in my game, after map tactics.

3. Good thinking. I'll swap them the next time I take the T-43 for a spin. I put the extinguisher in after getting frustrated by fires, but it's not as useful. 

I have to admit that I posted this at least in part to get in the habit of recording, commenting, and posting. I don't think it was an especially notable game - but part of my thinking with the BCB concept is that I don't wait to post only epic games. I think I can teach and learn from any game, really. And it about killed me tonight when I stopped recording just before I aced the M4. That would have been a great battle to post, but after reading #2, I now think I might have been able to pull that out with a win and a Raisin. Ugh.

Edited to add: I have such respect for some of the clan players I've been privileged to have on green from time to time. Titan is always welcome on green, always tough on red.

Edited by WriterDude, 19 April 2017 - 05:11 AM.

BobboEvans #12 Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:27 PM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 42223 battles
A slightly off topic question.  Is there now a way to record without side loading some Chinese software or air play on a laptop?  I've always wanted to record but just don't have the tools that I trust.

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

PA60Pilot #13 Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:12 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 31814 battles
  • [TITAN]

View PostBobboEvans, on 19 April 2017 - 07:27 AM, said:

A slightly off topic question. Is there now a way to record without side loading some Chinese software or air play on a laptop? I've always wanted to record but just don't have the tools that I trust.

I am not jailbroken.  I'm using a screen recorder app from dr. fone.  I'm not 100% satisfied with it, as it records upside down, and it won't record audio unless I either play the game without being able to hear the game audio myself, or unless I send the game audio out the external speakers and use the ipad external mic to record (which will also include some ambient noise).  The upside is it's entirely self contained in the ipad, so I don't have to lug a laptop with me on trips.  https://drfone.wonde...n-recorder.html

The best solution, from what I've read, seems to be to have an apple computer you can plug directly into for recording.  I don't like apple computers, so that option isn't viable for me.

"Now they're gonna come for us" - Anonymous Spawn Camping M6 - after rest of team destroyed

WriterDude #14 Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:35 PM

• Players
  • 23511 battles
  • [SCRAM]

View PostBobboEvans, on 19 April 2017 - 05:27 AM, said:

A slightly off topic question. Is there now a way to record without side loading some Chinese software or air play on a laptop? I've always wanted to record but just don't have the tools that I trust.

Yeah, on the Mac it's effortless. Just plug in your iPad/iPhone via the Lightning cable, launch the QuickTime Player, choose "New Movie Recording," click Record, then tap Battle. QuickTime Player records the video source until you click the Recording button again to stop the recording.

I throw my videos into iMovie so that I can do voiceovers more easily. QuickTime Player and iMovie are both free from Apple.

This is what it looks like (iPad on the left, MacBook Pro on the right):

Spoiler

PA60Pilot #15 Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:26 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 31814 battles
  • [TITAN]
Where does the game audio play from n this configuration?  Out of the mac, the iPad, or can you use headphones?  Thx

WriterDude #16 Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:29 AM

• Players
  • 23511 battles
  • [SCRAM]

View PostPA60Pilot, on 19 April 2017 - 05:26 PM, said:

Where does the game audio play from n this configuration?  Out of the mac, the iPad, or can you use headphones?  Thx

The audio comes out of the Mac while it's tethered and recording. QuickTime Player gives you the option of which audio source you want to record though. If you didn't want to use iMovie to record the voiceover, you could set it to record the source video from the iPad, but the source audio from the Mac's microphone, and just talk while you're recording. (Edit to add: You could wear headphones plugged into the Mac, or earbuds, or external speakers, or a Bluetooth device - the Mac will auto-sense whether there's something plugged into the headphone jack.)

I prefer to record the game audio as ambient background noise (although apparently for this recording, I recorded it too high), and record the voiceover later when I'm not in-game. That will let me use iMovie to do freeze-frames, add still pictures and overlay graphics, add soundtrack music, that sort of thing. Normally I use earbuds for the voiceovers, because the earbud mic is quite good, but I also have a very good Blue Yeti studio mic that I could use. Normally I use the Blue Yeti for instructional videos for work.

The only thing you can't do, as far as I can tell, is keep iTunes open. That was probably so people wouldn't pirate streamed audio or video. But I can't think of a situation where that would impair the recording.

Edited by WriterDude, 20 April 2017 - 01:31 AM.

PA60Pilot #17 Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:03 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 31814 battles
  • [TITAN]
Sometimes I wonder if my wife would yell at me for buying her a new macbook so I could use her old one for video recording.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users