• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

WriterDude #1 Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

My Posts Are Forum Prammo

• Players
  • 22008 battles
  • [III-Z]

Hey Everyone,

This is an edited cross-post from a comment I made on another thread, but I was intrigued by the idea and thought I'd give it its own thread. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about this.

It's about status, and the real reasons for the chat dysfunction, raging, and misbehavior.

It's very long, so I've placed it in a Spoiler tag, but I think people might benefit from reading the whole thing. So what do you think? Does this make sense as an explanation for some of the dysfunctional behavior we see in-game and here on the Forums?

Spoiler

cheers,

-WriterDude

Worthy of focus fire by SPUDX.  Potato Cred Link

"In Blitz, there's a certain value in expeditiously moving to the inevitable." -WriterDude

BluesAllDay #2 Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:05 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6609 battles
  • [SRV]
One reason sure but the list of reasons is long. Most people don't know what they don't know until they know they don't know. Up until that point what they don't know doesn't matter so being adequate may actually appear as if you know what you really don't know. How a person deals with the fact of not knowing what they thought they knew could be another reason. Lol.

dogs look up to you,

cats look down on you,

pigs look you in the eye

and treat you as equal.

Minecraftexpert_25 #3 Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:06 PM

Not a Unicum

• Players
  • 25875 battles
  • [MCE25]
A very interesting take on the subject, I've never considered something like that before but the more I think about it the more it makes sense. Excellent write up, +1.

January 28, 2016- The day Alo8ight moved on in his life from WG and WoTB. You will be missed o7.

March 27, 2017- Dogface takes over as senior producer for WoTB. Fate of Senator_Ratbat unknown.

Block Quote

"The darker the purple, the darker the soul." - Ancient WG proverb. -CrimsonMG

Up up down left right down up left left down <-----my super MLG pro strats 420 no scope headshot hacks (no credit to ksftwe whatsoever)

Dark_Magician_Girl #4 Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:07 PM

#1 Reroll NA

• Players
  • 17697 battles
  • [STR8]
Lovely +1

Sgt_T_21 #5 Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:24 PM

I'm not camping, I'm sniping

• Players
  • 43460 battles

Awesome post and great read. I generally don't rage at people and have been recently sending "GG" messages to folks post-battle (both red and green) as part of my efforts to de-toxify the community environment. I must admit that I have been guilty of raging in the past, however.  Occasions I have sent out the typical "wth were you thinking?" message. And I have certainly cursed at my iPad many a time. Usually that sort of thing happens when I've been having a bad work day and the blitzescape has turned out to be a continuation of the overall suck. So when I have those moments, I end up realizing it's me and how I'm handling a situation. And I take it out on the game. So I think that sometimes it is the person and their circumstances that day that get projected into blitz. 

That at being said, I completely agree with the theories and observations you post and merely offer one additional viewpoint.  Carry on with the forum prammo and happy tanking! (Emphasis on the happy)

Boom.

slayer_____ #6 Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:25 PM

Spray and Pray

• Players
  • 32596 battles
  • [ATA2D]

Well written, naturally from your name +1. I'm no angel but I'll say this from my personal experience of Blitz, rage was/is a learned behavior. I absolutely sucked when I started and heard it from just about every unicum. I took it upon myself and got better, many don't. I'm content with where I'm at in this game, I don't need status stats. I generally play for fun, try hard and hate to lose (competitive nature) but I know it happens. 

Rage and salt flows when the consistent trolls and inexperienced players act like they know what they are doing. I think that is what gets to most decent players. The obvious is not seen by most, like common sense. Some people are born with it, others develop it with experience it and some will never get it. 

BushiBan #7 Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:29 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 2355 battles
  • [SPUD]
Excellent points, makes sense. +1

SaveSave

tanker070 #8 Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:33 PM

The Nitwit

• Players
  • 38221 battles
  • [SKXLL]

You made me log in to comment here so I can share your status with ya lol

Thoughtful breakdown Dude, never seen this many layers to our common forum posts either it be troll or not. Good read !!!

+1

SKILL COMMUNITY WEBSITE  http://www.clan-skill.com

Gladsfur #9 Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:39 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 47641 battles
  • [INRI]
Makes sense to me. Well done, thanks for sharing your insight. 

ShootinSabot #10 Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:40 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11882 battles
  • [SPUDX]

Good battle read, well done, I really like the way you took that flank.

A lot of food for thought and this really deserves more of a comment but here it goes.

When I read this I keep thinking if you substitute the word status for self confidence it boils down to same thing, but I like the way you put it much better.

Flinger of Taters

otis1971 #11 Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

Sir Skrub-A-Lot

• Players
  • 15321 battles
  • [III-H]

View PostMoistFeline, on 18 April 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

I'm no angel but I'll say this from my personal experience of Blitz, rage was/is a learned behavior. I absolutely sucked when I started and heard it from just about every unicum.

Rage and salt flows when the consistent trolls and inexperienced players act like they know what they are doing. I think that is what gets to most decent players. The obvious is not seen by most, like common sense. Some people are born with it, others develop it with experience it and some will never get it. 

WD, you offer an interesting insight, and I also agree with what I quoted from Slayer.  I'll posit this to you, I think a lot of rage in game may also be from other sources, like you mentioned, someone is distracting you while playing, or maybe the player has something serious affecting their lives: a death of a friend of family member, loss of a job, a break up, etc.  The game is meant to be an escape from all of a player's woes, yet disappointing play is not firing the dopamine the player craves.  Maybe what I'm suggesting constitutes a small part of the gaming population, but I wouldn't discount it.   

AdderaII #12 Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:47 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7476 battles
  • [OGRE]

View PostWriterDude, on 18 April 2017 - 12:54 PM, said:

Hey Everyone,

This is an edited cross-post from a comment I made on another thread, but I was intrigued by the idea and thought I'd give it its own thread. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about this.

It's about status, and the real reasons for the chat dysfunction, raging, and misbehavior.

It's very long, so I've placed it in a Spoiler tag, but I think people might benefit from reading the whole thing. So what do you think? Does this make sense as an explanation for some of the dysfunctional behavior we see in-game and here on the Forums?

Spoiler

cheers,

-WriterDude

Are you 9Volt?

Never mind. Your stats are totally different. 

Edited by Adderall4Life, 18 April 2017 - 06:58 PM.

The player formerly known as, Adderall4life

Derf19 #13 Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:49 PM

Left Coast Lagger

• Players
  • 23466 battles
  • [III-X]

View PostMoistFeline, on 18 April 2017 - 10:25 AM, said:

Well written

His name is WriterDude.

I think it's the responsibility of the unicum to take the role of teacher and give advice rather than have an elitist attitude and speak condescending to the newbs. Newbs would then be more receptive to the advice. This is where maturity makes the difference on both sides.

For me i'm the 65% player with a 57% win rate desperately trying to get my status up :(:playing::angry: but I still have enough self esteem to not care so much.:) 

Edited by Derf19, 18 April 2017 - 06:55 PM.

"I'm Not Young Enough To Know Everything" -Oscar Wilde

Tier X Tanks I Don't Have: T57, OBJ.263, STB-1, AMX 50 B

Tanks I'm Grinding: T69 & Type 61 

Me 30 Day Stats Here

WriterDude #14 Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:54 PM

• Players
  • 22008 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostSgt_T_21, on 18 April 2017 - 11:24 AM, said:

Awesome post and great read. 

That at being said, I completely agree with the theories and observations you post and merely offer one additional viewpoint.  Carry on with the forum prammo and happy tanking! (Emphasis on the happy)

That's just plain awesome feedback. Thank you. (You're status-confident, so you don't need the affirmations, but just regular old sociability makes me acknowledge your kind words.)

View PostMoistFeline, on 18 April 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

Well written, naturally from your name +1. I'm no angel but I'll say this from my personal experience of Blitz, rage was/is a learned behavior. I absolutely sucked when I started and heard it from just about every unicum. I took it upon myself and got better, many don't. I'm content with where I'm at in this game, I don't need status stats. I generally play for fun, try hard and hate to lose (competitive nature) but I know it happens. 

I'd agree, except to say that rage is only learned because someone gets out of the bottom status rung for new players and starts to gain knowledge and skill. When they do that, they enter the middle status realms and start to take their progression seriously. So they rage when they perceive that they're losing the fight for status. You're absolutely right that rage from different status levels comes for different reasons.

View PostMinecraftexpert_25, on 18 April 2017 - 11:06 AM, said:

A very interesting take on the subject, I've never considered something like that before but the more I think about it the more it makes sense. Excellent write up, +1.

I really appreciate this, thank you. I'm gratified by your kind words, and I'm excited to get feedback like this from the more experienced players and forumers.

"In Blitz, there's a certain value in expeditiously moving to the inevitable." -WriterDude

little_brother_of_war #15 Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7787 battles
  • [FROST]
Makes sense.

Edited by little_brother_of_war, 19 April 2017 - 02:24 AM.

Decimator Road

Mullet_cat #16 Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:58 PM

HEAT magnet

• Players
  • 11192 battles
  • [STR8R]
This is very true, +1

TengenToppaPotatoLagann #17 Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:01 PM

ᵐʸ ʰᵉˢʰ ʷᶦᶫᶫ ᵖᶦᵉʳᶜᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ʰᵉᵃᵛᵉᶰˢ﹗

• Players
  • 45176 battles
  • [RNSF]
Sociology is interesting. 

ZIoydd, on 16 November 2017 - 09:47 AM, said:

Fixed.

Narrator, on 16 November 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

​ The problem had not been fixed.

Gitgudm9 #18 Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:21 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9344 battles
  • [MAHOU]
Very good read. +1

"Anime girls were made to be lewded." - Klaus_Klavier

BobboEvans #19 Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:21 PM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 37734 battles
Where's the 'status confident' but 'execution incompetent' category?  Is it possible to rage without status insecurity?

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

WriterDude #20 Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:28 PM

• Players
  • 22008 battles
  • [III-Z]

View Postotis1971, on 18 April 2017 - 11:41 AM, said:

WD, you offer an interesting insight, and I also agree with what I quoted from Slayer.  I'll posit this to you, I think a lot of rage in game may also be from other sources, like you mentioned, someone is distracting you while playing, or maybe the player has something serious affecting their lives: a death of a friend of family member, loss of a job, a break up, etc.  The game is meant to be an escape from all of a player's woes, yet disappointing play is not firing the dopamine the player craves.  Maybe what I'm suggesting constitutes a small part of the gaming population, but I wouldn't discount it.   

I read a detailed study at one point that suggested the reason "violent video games" result in real-world violent behavior is the difference between the player's anticipated locus of control and their actual locus of control.

Real life can absolutely impair game performance. Think about game frustration. Let's say Joe isn't upset to start, and goes into a battle feeling neutral. In the battle, he shoots, gets shot, maybe gets wrecked, wins or loses. His response entirely depends on how he attributes the loss. If he thinks he drove his tank perfectly but lost because he got derped from across the map by a freak KV-2 snapshot, he's not going to rage because he was able to control what would be reasonable to control, and he just got unlucky. If he thinks the red players were just a bunch of unicums after 3 energy drinks, and getting wrecked was because they attacked him 4-on-1, he might not get angry either. Who can survive those odds? No real status loss.

If he blames his team, it reduces his blame for the way he drove his tank, and you'd think there would be no status loss. Unfortunately, he will probably feel that he lost status for being associated with the losing team. After all, all 7 players on the other team saw him on the losing team, so he's low performing by association. In that case, he might rage at his team, or might rage against some specific individual on his team, because he has to specifically reduce that person's status by identifying where the status loss needs to be applied. Someone must be responsible for the status loss. He could also become frustrated in general, directing his anger at Wargaming who built the "flawed" environment, and matchmaker, who gave him the team. 

Let's say 6 players on each side are wrecked, and he is driving a full-health tank that everybody says is OP, and he's playing against a full-health player who's not driving an OP tank. Let's say he bounces 6 shots against the other tank. No matter how hard he plays, if he loses, he's going to be immensely frustrated. Doesn't matter whether the other driver was unicum or more skilled, or got lucky. He'll feel he SHOULD have been able to pen with those 6 shots, should have been able to control his tank in a way that won the game, and will suffer frustration and anger from locus of control issues on top of the status conflict issues. Depending on the player, he might complain that the tank controls didn't work properly, that the hit skins were bugged, that Wargaming rigged RNG so he couldn't win, or what have you. And he'll rage. And he might take that out of the game and into real life.

So you're right. That's another aspect where game performance can be impaired in the quest for status.

Also tagged with salt, raging, noobs

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users