Potato Patch, where potato’s grow.Due to copyright infringement topic is closed

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

ShootinSabot #1 Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:44 PM

Excelling at Mediocrity

• Players
  • 21999 battles
  • [SPUD]

Welcome to the Potato Patch, where potato’s grow.

This thread is going to consist of a series of gameplay videos of me driving various tanks with commentary by me about what I am seeing and thinking while I am in battle. I am in no way a Unicom or should even be considered in any way an expert driver of tanks on Blitz. I am a potato, I think, graduated from noob though some may disagree. 

Why am I doing this you ask. A few reasons. 

1. I want to increase my skills as a tank driver in blitz. Recording videos and then looking at them immediately afterwards will hopefully enlighten me to some of the things I am missing while battling.
  2. To seek critiques of my gameplay from other drivers. 
  3. To maybe provide a helping hand with those who are struggling in the game and watching nothing but superb gameplay from Bushka, Anon or Sk8xtrm is not helping. 

The inspiration for these videos is from the video that WriterDude did called  Blue Collar Blitz - T43 at Fort Despair. I am going to call it inspiration as opposed to copying because WriterDude is in a very different place in the game than I am. He is far more experienced and a more nuanced driver than I am. He is also so busy spamming the forums with thoughtful and insightful posts that I figured he may not have time to add more videos.

My basic mechanism for the videos is to do the recording of the battle and then I immediately afterward record the commentary with iMovie while it is still fresh in my mind. I play on a mid 2011 iMac so that is why the screen is so large. I upload at 720p and Quicktime will only record at 30 frames/sec on my vintage of computer so the video is not as smooth as other uploads.

On to the videos. 

On the advice of some wise and sage forumers I have gone back to lower tiers to work on my skills before attempting to move past Tier 8. I also was advised to widen the variety of tanks that I play. I was concentrating on mediums and heavies at the expense of lights and TD’s.

I really struggle with TD’s and don’t feel comfortable driving them.

These 3 videos are with the SU-85. Let me know what you think.

Edited by ShootinSabot, 07 July 2017 - 09:35 PM.

Full time Spud, part time potato 

Striving to be an Ambassador to help grow the game. 

LoweExpectations #2 Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:52 PM

Icelandic

• Players
  • 14905 battles
Can you name them a bit more... properly?

Honors: Most Mentally Insane Leopard PTA Driver, Pioneer of the Dracuyolo, Guides.

ShootinSabot #3 Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:56 PM

Excelling at Mediocrity

• Players
  • 21999 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostLoweExpectations, on 21 April 2017 - 07:52 PM, said:

Can you name them a bit more... properly?

Sure What where you thinking for names?

Silevern #4 Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

To Valhalla! Witness me!

• Players
  • 17628 battles

After watching all three videos I think you have a solid understanding of how to play the game, so I wouldn't say you're a bad player. Based on the commentary you clearly know what decisions to make, but you just need some practice actually implementing what you're thinking of. In regards to the SU-85 specifically I think you should consider finding a position that's further back from the action, because the SU does not have the hitpoints to tolerate getting shot at constantly. In the Rockfield game the best choice would probably have been to scramble for cover as soon as you noticed all of the firepower there. Also, you could've penetrated the AT 2 by aiming at the commander's cupola. 

The Lost Temple match didn't look like you could've swung the balance even if you were a super unicum, that was just the result of having a bad team.

Final piece of advice is that you should give commands, not suggestions. No more <<<<<? be more assertive and say "all left please." 

EDIT: Just noticed your comment that you don't feel comfortable in TDs. The best way to learn TD gameplay is through monkey see monkey do, go on Youtube and find videos of players dealing lots of damage in tank destroyers, specifically TD's with poor armor such as the Grille 15. Watch gameplay by World of Tanks PC players because in my opinion TD's in PC play much more campy than Blitz TD's. The fundamental concept behind TD gameplay in Blitz is about positioning and avoiding getting shot. If you have the choice between firing another shot into the enemy and escaping from a muddy situation, opt for running away unless you are certain you can blast your way through. Practice avoiding taking damage and you'll get the hang of TD gameplay. I'd say the best suggestion is to always have some large, solid cover in your immediate vicinity that you can duck behind in an instant if needed.

Edited by Silevern, 21 April 2017 - 08:08 PM.

outersketcher #5 Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:10 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 12797 battles
  • [COD-R]

View PostEdward045, on 21 April 2017 - 11:44 AM, said:

1. To maybe provide a helping hand with those who are struggling in the game and watching nothing but superb gameplay from Bushka, Anon or Sk8xtrm is not helping. 

I try to follow the wise teachings of Mr Miyagi.  "Best defense, no be there."

...don't get hit... don't get hit... don't get hit... OWWW you %$#$!... don't get hit... don't get hit... don't get hit...

outersketcher #6 Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:16 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 12797 battles
  • [COD-R]

huh.. for some reason.. the forum wouldnt let me add my comments to the quote.. 

Anyway.. with no disrespect to the the greats like anon, bushka and sk8te.. I LOVE watching their videos!.. but the way THEY play and the way I play are so vastly different. 

To me the videos sometimes seem almost silly.. they'll drive along.. and see an enemy red up on a hill. Take a shot.. BOOM. move on.. another two.. two shots BOOM BOOM.. 

calmly talking about how cool the tank is. 

but when I play... It's a desperate battle to keep from getting shredded by fifty million reds.. and when I DO get a shot.. I have to shot that red 13 times to blow him up. 

pfpfpfpfp....

not... the same... not.. at ..all..

I know its me.. I get that. But it would be nice to see videos from other people that are struggling.. then maybe I could see.. and maybe even pinpoint where he went wrong in the video.. thereby helping me to understand how to do better myself?

I try to follow the wise teachings of Mr Miyagi.  "Best defense, no be there."

...don't get hit... don't get hit... don't get hit... OWWW you %$#$!... don't get hit... don't get hit... don't get hit...

Rum_Tanker #7 Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:24 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7462 battles
  • [BRSKT]

View Postoutersketcher, on 21 April 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

Anyway.. with no disrespect to the the greats like anon, bushka and sk8te.. I LOVE watching their videos!.. but the way THEY play and the way I play are so vastly different. 

To me the videos sometimes seem almost silly.. they'll drive along.. and see an enemy red up on a hill. Take a shot.. BOOM. move on.. another two.. two shots BOOM BOOM.. 

but when I play... It's a desperate battle to keep from getting shredded by fifty million reds.. and when I DO get a shot.. I have to shot that red 13 times to blow him up. 

pfpfpfpfp....

I know its me.. I get that. But it would be nice to see videos from other people that are struggling.. then maybe I could see.. and maybe even pinpoint where he went wrong in the video.. thereby helping me to understand how to do better myself?

Very well said! I kind of feel the same, and would like to see more vids from the non-expert community, lol!

OP, good stuff, and will watch for more!

ShootinSabot #8 Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:43 PM

Excelling at Mediocrity

• Players
  • 21999 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostSilevern, on 21 April 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

After watching all three videos I think you have a solid understanding of how to play the game, so I wouldn't say you're a bad player. Based on the commentary you clearly know what decisions to make, but you just need some practice actually implementing what you're thinking of. In regards to the SU-85 specifically I think you should consider finding a position that's further back from the action, because the SU does not have the hitpoints to tolerate getting shot at constantly. In the Rockfield game the best choice would probably have been to scramble for cover as soon as you noticed all of the firepower there. Also, you could've penetrated the AT 2 by aiming at the commander's cupola. 

The Lost Temple match didn't look like you could've swung the balance even if you were a super unicum, that was just the result of having a bad team.

Final piece of advice is that you should give commands, not suggestions. No more <<<<<? be more assertive and say "all left please." 

EDIT: Just noticed your comment that you don't feel comfortable in TDs. The best way to learn TD gameplay is through monkey see monkey do, go on Youtube and find videos of players dealing lots of damage in tank destroyers, specifically TD's with poor armor such as the Grille 15. Watch gameplay by World of Tanks PC players because in my opinion TD's in PC play much more campy than Blitz TD's. The fundamental concept behind TD gameplay in Blitz is about positioning and avoiding getting shot. If you have the choice between firing another shot into the enemy and escaping from a muddy situation, opt for running away unless you are certain you can blast your way through. Practice avoiding taking damage and you'll get the hang of TD gameplay. I'd say the best suggestion is to always have some large, solid cover in your immediate vicinity that you can duck behind in an instant if needed.

Thanks Silevern

I definitely should have gotten out of dodge sooner. The temple was a lost cause but I still was not happy with my own tank handling. I do prefer using the arrows because the game seems to be more multilingual and the polite part is a reflex for those of us north of the 49th parallel but I am going to try it your way. I am slowing figuring out the TD  meta but my instinct is to just get in there and battle. Passive/sniping does not suit my nature but I think I am figuring it out slowly.

ShootinSabot #9 Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:46 PM

Excelling at Mediocrity

• Players
  • 21999 battles
  • [SPUD]

View Postoutersketcher, on 21 April 2017 - 08:16 PM, said:

pfpfpfpfp....

View PostRum_Tanker, on 21 April 2017 - 08:24 PM, said:

Very well said! I kind of feel the same, and would like to see more vids from the non-expert community, lol!

OP, good stuff, and will watch for more!

I hope to add more. First set and we will see how its goes. Glad you like them.

LIGHTS___OUT #10 Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:02 PM

Welcome to the Dark Side

• Players
  • 39456 battles
  • [BRSKT]

I smell copyright infringement. You'll be hearing from our lawyers!

:hiding:

WarHammer701 #11 Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:05 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11310 battles
  • [NUXZ]
Great now more useless videos clogging up Youtube.
1011700835.png

Wboys #12 Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:19 PM

Elite Noob

• Players
  • 32410 battles
  • [VRTX]

View Postoutersketcher, on 21 April 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

pfpfpfpfp....

Well said. I think watching people make mistakes could be very helpful for a lot of people.

https://www.blitzsta...layer/com/Wboys

Leader of Vort3x

Goals: 60% wr without stat padding, researching all tier Xs (1 left!)

Favorite Mark Twain quotes: "Man was made at the end of the work week, when God was tired." ~ "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." ~ "Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often." ~ "Don't let school interfere with your education." ~ "Apparently, there is nothing that cannot happen today." ~ "Go to Heaven for the climate and Hell for the company."

Foureyesamurai #13 Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:50 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4390 battles
  • [TBSU]

View PostJaggedPanda, on 21 April 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

Try not to be so rude 

[Proud member of The Boom Squad United (TBSU)]

If you wanna cringe real hard, check my stats :trollface:

Valkyria Chronicles was better than Girls und Panzer

Confused_Teletubby #14 Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:18 AM

LOOΠΔ

• Players
  • 15407 battles
  • [CALI]

View PostJaggedPanda, on 21 April 2017 - 01:05 PM, said:

Where is the down votes when i need them?

Confused_Teletubby #15 Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:21 AM

LOOΠΔ

• Players
  • 15407 battles
  • [CALI]

Edward, after watching your videos i feel like you have a perfect understanding of the game and how to properly use tank destroyers effectively. I think the only thing that is bringing you down as a player is just experience. Many experienced players and unicom players here on the forums got good at around 8-10k battle mark. The more battles you play in your situation the better you will become. 

If you ever need any help with platoons just to increase your battle count feel free to add me in-game.

ShootinSabot #16 Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:47 AM

Excelling at Mediocrity

• Players
  • 21999 battles
  • [SPUD]
Thank you. I have also read that 8-10k seems to be the magic mark. I am hoping to shorten that up a little.:)

ShootinSabot #17 Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:44 PM

Excelling at Mediocrity

• Players
  • 21999 battles
  • [SPUD]

I have really been struggling with the SU-85B. I really don’t like how the tank looks. I know that is silly but I think it looks funny and the fact that it has no armour to speak of seems to make it a hard tank for me to do well in. 

Psyberius #18 Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:56 PM

Prestige Worldwide

• Players
  • 29243 battles

Heeeyyy... wait a minute! This isn't where potatoes grow...They grow around the campfire!

"I have come here to kick @$$ and chew bubblegum.

...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Psyberius #19 Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:59 PM

Prestige Worldwide

• Players
  • 29243 battles

View PostJaggedPanda, on 21 April 2017 - 04:05 PM, said:

Pro Tip: Stay off YouTube to avoid videos. 

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Psyberius #20 Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:00 PM

Prestige Worldwide

• Players
  • 29243 battles

View PostMAJIME, on 21 April 2017 - 07:18 PM, said:

Where is the down votes when i need them?

Down votes were down voted. Ironic, isn't it?

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users