• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

ShootinSabot #1 Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:49 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 13451 battles
  • [SPUDX]

Welcome to Turnips and Taters

This thread is going to consist of a series of gameplay videos of me driving various tanks with commentary by me about what I am seeing and thinking while I am in battle. I am in no way a Unicom or should even be considered in any way an expert driver of tanks on Blitz. 

Why am I doing this you ask. A few reasons. 

1. I want to increase my skills as a tank driver in blitz. Recording videos and then looking at them immediately afterwards will hopefully enlighten me to some of the things I am missing while battling.
  2. To seek critiques of my gameplay from other drivers. 
  3. To maybe provide a helping hand with those who are struggling in the game and watching nothing but superb gameplay from Bushka, Anon or Sk8xtrm is not helping. 

The inspiration for these videos is from the video that WriterDude did called Blue Collar Blitz - T43 at Fort Despair. I am going to call it inspiration as opposed to copying because WriterDude is in a very different place in the game than I am. He is far more experienced and a more nuanced driver than I. He is also so busy spamming the forums with thoughtful and insightful posts that I figured he may not have time to add more videos.

My basic mechanism for the videos is to do the recording of the battle and then I immediately afterward record the commentary with iMovie while it is still fresh in my mind. I play on a mid 2011 iMac so that is why the screen is so large. I upload at 720p and Quicktime will only record at 30 frames/sec on my vintage of computer so the video is not as smooth as other uploads.

On to the videos.

This next post is a repeat of my last Potato Patch post. New content to be added soon.

The Pz V/IV was my first premium tank and my first credit grinder. My record in it is not very good and even my recent record is not as good as my record in the Pz III/IV. I find the Pz V/IV has the mobility of a hevium but the gun of a medium tank. so it can be a bit cumbersome. The one thing I really like about it, other than the credits it makes, is that the front glacis is almost Leopard proof. It seems like every Tier 5 battle has at least 1 Leo on the reds and they do present problems when driven well.

​Edit; The videos in this post have  been moved to my new You Tube channel.

Edited by ShootinSabot, 07 July 2017 - 09:32 PM.

Full time Spud, part time potato 

Striving to be an Ambassador to help grow the game. 

Gitgudm9 #2 Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:45 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9450 battles
  • [MAHOU]

For the first video: Right off the bat, you go to the middle. This, I completely agree with. The middle section on Castilla is a very dominant position, because if you have the view range, you can spot their tanks going mill early on and create very effective crossfires with your team. I love going to the middle on Castilla, no matter what class vehicle I'm in. Good so far. Now comes the bad part. Your fatal mistake in that game was pushing up way too early. At the time you made your move, there were two enemy tanks spotted, and they were both heavies. The game had barely developed, and there was no knowing where the other five tanks were, especially since you were playing Supremacy, where everything is so hectic. The five other red tanks could have been anywhere, so moving up was a risky gamble. Being overly aggresive in the beginning of the game is a big no-no, unless you plan to spot quickly or take a strong position which you can easily retreat from (think of the temple on Lost Temple). I can't count the number of times I've pushed too hard and got myself into sticky situations. I would have been more patient and just looked for shots through the path on the left. The gap really allows you to farm damage while taking little in return. Additionally, since neither of the teams had any caps, getting to B was not incredibly important. However, you were right about backing up from the T21. The other tank would have been able to help you destroy him, and you could've taken B with the heavy tank that had come back around.  

I don't have time to talk about the others, but I have to say that I admire you for having such a passion for improving. I certainly have never done something like what you're doing before. Anyways, I hope this helped, and good luck on the battlefield! 

"Anime girls were made to be lewded." - Klaus_Klavier

WipWapJaws #3 Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:49 AM

Clanless Scrub

• Players
  • 34032 battles
  • [WKD]

First match, there is nothing I can add that you have not already stated where you went wrong.  Personally I prefer to go A C on that map as u can normally pick it up quickly and then push around to either B or flank behind through to the Reds spawn.  I dont like B early just as it is very open to get spotted and there are multiple lines of fire.  But again its just a personal preference.

Second match.  Personally I would go right on that map just because you are then limiting the fire from the reds to the front of you, particularly if you are a team that is heavy dominant.  First mistake was sitting in the open side on to the tank you were first trying to hit.  That area is very open and you can get hit from multiple places, try to set up your shot first like putting hard cover between u so u roll back and forth while on the reload.  Ur instincts are good in this match, always looking to support your teammates turning 1v1s to 2v1s.  Where you died you may have been able to ram him then shoot killing him rather than trading shots.

Third Match.  Focus on capping first rather than pushing to get a shot on the tank running away just because there is normally a tank sniping the cap and u will take unnecessary damage early on.  Also when u take that shot at the Pz4 TD on the hill pull back and shout though the tree will stop u being spotted.  u could have pushed left to flank him as there is more cover to hide u and shoot through.

TBH ur instincts are good u maybe rush ur shots a little much and miss ones u should make, but most of my critique is just personal preference

ShootinSabot #4 Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:54 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 13451 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostGitgudm9, on 26 April 2017 - 12:45 AM, said:

For the first video: Right off the bat, you go to the middle. This, I completely agree with. The middle section on Castilla is a very dominant position, because if you have the view range, you can spot their tanks going mill early on and create very effective crossfires with your team. I love going to the middle on Castilla, no matter what class vehicle I'm in. Good so far. Now comes the bad part. Your fatal mistake in that game was pushing up way too early. At the time you made your move, there were two enemy tanks spotted, and they were both heavies. The game had barely developed, and there was no knowing where the other five tanks were, especially since you were playing Supremacy, where everything is so hectic. The five other red tanks could have been anywhere, so moving up was a risky gamble. Being overly aggresive in the beginning of the game is a big no-no, unless you plan to spot quickly or take a strong position which you can easily retreat from (think of the temple on Lost Temple). I can't count the number of times I've pushed too hard and got myself into sticky situations. I would have been more patient and just looked for shots through the path on the left. The gap really allows you to farm damage while taking little in return. Additionally, since neither of the teams had any caps, getting to B was not incredibly important. However, you were right about backing up from the T21. The other tank would have been able to help you destroy him, and you could've taken B with the heavy tank that had come back around.  

I don't have time to talk about the others, but I have to say that I admire you for having such a passion for improving. I certainly have never done something like what you're doing before. Anyways, I hope this helped, and good luck on the battlefield! 

You are correct. Now that I think about it my biggest mistake was not pushing on the red tank, it was pushing to hard period. I had no idea were the rest of the reds were and I should have given a few seconds in overwatch before capping and telling the world where I was.

ShootinSabot #5 Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:05 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 13451 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostWipWapJaws, on 26 April 2017 - 12:49 AM, said:

First match, there is nothing I can add that you have not already stated where you went wrong.  Personally I prefer to go A C on that map as u can normally pick it up quickly and then push around to either B or flank behind through to the Reds spawn.  I dont like B early just as it is very open to get spotted and there are multiple lines of fire.  But again its just a personal preference.

Second match.  Personally I would go right on that map just because you are then limiting the fire from the reds to the front of you, particularly if you are a team that is heavy dominant.  First mistake was sitting in the open side on to the tank you were first trying to hit.  That area is very open and you can get hit from multiple places, try to set up your shot first like putting hard cover between u so u roll back and forth while on the reload.  Ur instincts are good in this match, always looking to support your teammates turning 1v1s to 2v1s.  Where you died you may have been able to ram him then shoot killing him rather than trading shots.

Third Match.  Focus on capping first rather than pushing to get a shot on the tank running away just because there is normally a tank sniping the cap and u will take unnecessary damage early on.  Also when u take that shot at the Pz4 TD on the hill pull back and shout though the tree will stop u being spotted.  u could have pushed left to flank him as there is more cover to hide u and shoot through.

TBH ur instincts are good u maybe rush ur shots a little much and miss ones u should make, but most of my critique is just personal preference

Thank You WipWapJaws for the critique.

I do rush to much and I am making an effort to let the aiming circle settle before I take a shot when possible. I don't ram enough and the Pz V/IV should be good at it because it is a big chassis. It would be the equivalent of an extra half shot I think. 

alexanderhu #6 Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:53 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 24581 battles
  • [_V_]

View PostWipWapJaws, on 25 April 2017 - 07:49 PM, said:

Second match.  Personally I would go right on that map just because you are then limiting the fire from the reds to the front of you, particularly if you are a team that is heavy dominant.  First mistake was sitting in the open side on to the tank you were first trying to hit.  That area is very open and you can get hit from multiple places, try to set up your shot first like putting hard cover between u so u roll back and forth while on the reload.  Also, if you take a few hits from poking out at the same spot, I would recommend relocating to a different spot. Not much risk of invis enemies aiming at you or hitting you since they don't know where you are until you take the shot and pull back. Ur instincts are good in this match, always looking to support your teammates turning 1v1s to 2v1s.  Where you died you may have been able to ram him then shoot killing him rather than trading shots. yep, you had the health advantage and he can't out-dps you, so you should have just taken the hits and charged him, not trading shots, although you were very unlucky to bounce all your shots, since you were shooting apcr at a paper tank.

Third Match.  Focus on capping first rather than pushing to get a shot on the tank running away just because there is normally a tank sniping the cap and u will take unnecessary damage early on.  Also when u take that shot at the Pz4 TD on the hill pull back and shout though the tree will stop u being spotted.  u could have pushed left to flank him as there is more cover to hide u and shoot through. Also, don't shoot HE heavies in a medium tank unless they're on low enough health that it will 1 shot them. If the indicator shots up yellow it means HE won't pen, but will still do splash damage. Oh and at the start when the tds hit you, personally I would have driven forward and gotten into cover, since it's faster to drive forward than backwards. Also, you could have used getting closer as a way to spot them from behind a bush, so you could get some free spotting damage in addition to that damage you do shooting at them. All in all, good instincts like Jaws said, other than that, you should be improving. (Personal preference - Don't play supremacy, as there are more "bad" players playing that mode than encounter.)

Certified T6 Dracula StatPadder

Ranked NA:          #9 T34 /\ #10 T49a /\ #13 AMX 13 75 /\ #24 T54E1

ShootinSabot #7 Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:48 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 13451 battles
  • [SPUDX]

Of the 3 battles I am showing you, I am quite proud of 2 of them and 1 not so much. I think I got to over confidant when I was top tier. I will work on the volume levels on future videos. Thanks for watching

Comments and driving advice are always appreciated

ShootinSabot

ShootinSabot #8 Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:12 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 13451 battles
  • [SPUDX]

Comments and Criticism welcome, thats why I put them up.

Edited by ShootinSabot, 10 January 2018 - 12:13 AM.

ShootinSabot #9 Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:01 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 13451 battles
  • [SPUDX]
Just another gameplay video.

Also tagged with noobs, game improvement, voiceover

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users