Art DMG

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Dark_Magician_Girl #1 Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

Wicked Witch of the West

• Players
  • 43913 battles
  • [_STR8]

Hi everyone, I thought I’d create some more educational content on how to shape the game to your liking.  Being a Blitz artist, so to speak, or having the ability to sculpt a changing situation and continually control the game is such a difficult skill to master.  While technical skills, tactical skills, and a winning psyche can be developed, certain key points in gameplay need to be ground into the foundation of every aspiring super player out there.  After giving it about a month of thought, I figured I’d elaborate on the top 5 habits that great players have developed.  I hope reading this will help you play better and win more.

Uni’s  are faster.  Do not mistake this to mean they drive faster tanks.  Not necessarily.  To give an example of what I mean, I will reference our lovely forum feline, MarBearCat.  Cat once put up a video in his M103 in a platoon with another player on Mines.  While watching Cat’s gameplay, there was nothing fundamentally wrong with Cat’s skills.  Cat made minimal to no errors in the game.  However, the difference between watching our friendly neighborhood feline and a uni is that everything happens faster.  What do you mean DMG?  In the case of the Mines game, Cat poked the hill and abused the gun depression of the M103 and wiggled the semi-strong turret and did damage to enemies.  A uni would do the same things, but with smoother transitions between actions and sped up execution of said actions.  For example, when you watch uni gameplay, they poke just barely, scope in for roughly a second (maybe less) on a small weak point, fire (and most importantly connect their shots), immediately going into some defensive maneuver whether is be angling, sidescraping, wiggling, pointing the gun up, etc..  This sequence of actions has become near reflex, and most players need to develop their own sequence of being able to dish damage while taking none in return.  Minimal exposure with maximum lethality.

Uni’s (usually) get the first spot, and the first shot.  Going off my own personal experience, this is extremely important for winning.  Attempting (and connecting) the first shot is extremely critical as it acts almost like a confidence shot, boosting the level of my gameplay,  From a more objective standpoint, getting the first spot, and the first shot sets the tone and the pace of combat.  If you can successfully do this, you control the early game and can usually sculpt wins before the enemy has a chance to start playing.

Uni’s know when to hold’em, and they know when to run.  This one is pretty simple.  Discretion is always the better part of valor.  If you believe you are the better player, why would you elect to hold your ground and trade HP early?  That’s the 30%’ers job.  Not yours.  The main concept about appearing near invincible in combat is knowing you are not invincible.  Knowing when to fold and relocate, trying again at a different area of engagement is critical for development.  Everyone has a role to play in battle, some are more complex and critical than others.  You, the uni, or the uni-to-be need to understand that your role is more important than the 40% sacrificial lamb and that you should be trying to keep your gun in the game for as long as possible.  That being said, you have to know when to hold your ground.  Sometimes you just have to dig your heels in and grind it out.

Uni’s PLAY on 1 hitpoint. Do not mistake this to mean simply staying alive.  It does not.  Just as the common life phrase goes “there is a difference between being alive and living,” the same goes for Blitz.  You can play on a 1 shot, but how effective are you? Are you still doing damage, or at least attracting attention?  The difference between most players and uni’s is that when they are put in the 1 shot scenario, they don’t stop playing.  I’ve often found that lower HP uni’s are often tougher nuts to crack than full health uni’s.  When uni’s are reduced to low health, they keep doing damage, and become extremely hard to kill because they know they hang onto virtual life by a thread.  Regardless, uni’s continue playing and you’ll have to pry a win from their hands, even on a 1 shot.

When Uni’s commit to aggression, it’s fully: for better or for worse.  The mindset for most super players is to not take damage, yet deal damage in return.  However, there are the times where trading inevitably occurs.  In the event you decide to play aggressively, commit to it.  For example, when I commit to aggression against another tank in my dracula from a passive position, I go all in.  I press that engine boost so I am off the mark and out of the gates as fast as possible, getting close to the target as quickly as possible.  There is no second thought as to whether committing was a good idea:  I have already decided it was a good idea.  This is essentially saying that if you are going to go past the point of no return, do it in a blaze and don’t stop.  That being said, recognizing when to commit is a much more difficult endeavor and can really only be acquired from experience and practice.

“I take you to be my tank, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and health, until death do us part."

DMG

Edited by Dark_Magician_Girl, 22 May 2017 - 03:26 PM.

STAR1 NA top 10 all-time ranked player - Blitzstars NA top 10 most winning all-time ranked player - Blitzstars NA top 10 highest career WN8 all-time ranked player - #1 ranked driver E75 STAR1 - Blitzstars 49 different vehicles with top 10 all-time NA WN8 - 40 unique career 3000+ damage averages at high tiers - Captain of 5 top 8 NA tournament appearances - Content creator of map meta defining Blitz YT content - 1 of 3 Bushka masterclass candidates.

I am, the Dark Magician Girl

Ruby_Rose_ #2 Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

I don't need help growing up! I Drink Milk!

• Players
  • 14182 battles
  • [SCAMO]
:)
:3 Thanks for the tips.

Edited by SweatyFalcon, 22 May 2017 - 03:43 PM.

Made by Panbun

"Efficiency is Just Clever Laziness" 

Want a RWBY signature? Here

Crescent_Rose_ #3 Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:36 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 25049 battles
  • [STORM]
:great: Some great points. If someone doesn't line these ready, these at work some of the most important pieces to doing well consistently.

SlavianBlood #4 Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:38 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6508 battles
  • [IRH]
notes taken :3

Bait_Car #5 Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:59 PM

Mr. Nice Guy

• Players
  • 67273 battles
  • [HELLS]
I found this very helpful.  Thanks.

john_bond_16_pc #6 Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

The name's bond...John bond.

• Players
  • 16245 battles
  • [COD-R]
thanks for the tips and great post! :great:

​"Well John, people have different priorities. Some are here to drive historical tanks and have fun, others for the glorious color coded numbers and other for the relationships and friends they've made. The middle group are the ones who'll say they can't play due to 3.8, they're afraid of having smaller numbers than everyone else and losing the imaginary position they have. They're also the same people who immediately pull stats into any discussion so that they can try to discredit the other side. I will admit I have good stats but I honestly am here for the tanks and fun. Once this game becomes anything other than that I'm out , but until then I'm here to stay."

​Ptank2012

COD-R CLAN DEP & TRPD MATE

Stats:                                                                                       

jkwon126 #7 Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 51056 battles
  • [4_AD]
Harder Better Faster Stronger

Edited by jkwon126, 22 May 2017 - 04:39 PM.

[WOTBStars] [BlitzStars]

What was that?  Can't hear you over my freedom of speech -Blartch

Do not hold the symbol in higher regard than the freedom it represents. -DaBombV

Squish_Cat #8 Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:47 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 14149 battles
  • [WALL1]

I hope to be a Unicum one day if only for the chance that I might just get to play on the red team.

Edited by CampCanceler13, 22 May 2017 - 04:48 PM.

ryanphoenix #9 Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:12 PM

Accredited Wallet Warrior

• Players
  • 20669 battles
  • [NCPD]
Well said. 

https://www.blitzsta.../1018613518.png

Confirmed Wallet warrior and proud M60 owner. (Semi)Reformed Nub

little_brother_of_war #10 Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:12 PM

ᎠᏁᏦᏗ ~ A-ne’-tso-di

• Players
  • 20139 battles
  • [00F]
Nice info!

Old cowboy saying...

”Yep...it’s a mean ol’ world.”

Fortune cookie proverb...

”Face facts with dignity.”

Giddy up there, Buckeroo’s!   :B  

HonicTheSedgehog #11 Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:16 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 15062 battles

View PostDark_Magician_Girl, on 22 May 2017 - 10:24 AM, said: 

Uni’s (usually) get the first spot, and the first shot.  Going off my own personal experience, this is extremely important for winning.  Attempting (and connecting) the first shot is extremely critical as it acts almost like a confidence shot, boosting the level of my gameplay,  From a more objective standpoint, getting the first spot, and the first shot sets the tone and the pace of combat.  If you can successfully do this, you control the early game and can usually sculpt wins before the enemy has a chance to start playing.

Great post, and I especially love this bit! The battlefield psychology of blitz is rarely talked about, but a huge part of winning vs losing. I've always found the psychological effect of autoloaders to exceed the damage dealt - when your screen is flashing red repeatedly and your crew shouting at you, it messes with your mind. But feeling in control of an encounter is a powerful boost.

Dark_Magician_Girl #12 Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:11 PM

Wicked Witch of the West

• Players
  • 43913 battles
  • [_STR8]

View PostHonicTheSedgehog, on 22 May 2017 - 12:16 PM, said:

Great post, and I especially love this bit! The battlefield psychology of blitz is rarely talked about, but a huge part of winning vs losing. I've always found the psychological effect of autoloaders to exceed the damage dealt - when your screen is flashing red repeatedly and your crew shouting at you, it messes with your mind. But feeling in control of an encounter is a powerful boost.

Yes, Blitz is not only about x's and o's.  There is a mind factor as well.

STAR1 NA top 10 all-time ranked player - Blitzstars NA top 10 most winning all-time ranked player - Blitzstars NA top 10 highest career WN8 all-time ranked player - #1 ranked driver E75 STAR1 - Blitzstars 49 different vehicles with top 10 all-time NA WN8 - 40 unique career 3000+ damage averages at high tiers - Captain of 5 top 8 NA tournament appearances - Content creator of map meta defining Blitz YT content - 1 of 3 Bushka masterclass candidates.

PA60Pilot #13 Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:02 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 31814 battles
  • [TITAN]

Re: That point about surviving with one hit point remaining, yet still remaining productive. 

"Now they're gonna come for us" - Anonymous Spawn Camping M6 - after rest of team destroyed

Kiser_Sosei #14 Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:28 PM

Who is Kiser Sosei?!?

• Players
  • 37500 battles
  • [III-R]

View PostDark_Magician_Girl, on 22 May 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

For example, when you watch uni gameplay, they poke just barely, scope in for roughly a second (maybe less) on a small weak point, fire

(and most importantly connect their shots)

I never skimp on the sacrificial pramo rounds, but the RNGesus I pray to, does not seem to listen.

"MM may not be rigged but RNGesus only answers the prayers of one team."
My WOTB Youtube Channel.

https://www.blitzsta...com/Kiser_Sosei

_GraceToo #15 Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:43 AM

She Said I'm Tragically Hip

• Players
  • 56452 battles
  • [BRSKT]

"Uni’s (usually) get the first spot, and the first shot.  Going off my own personal experience, this is extremely important for winning.  Attempting (and connecting) the first shot is extremely critical as it acts almost like a confidence shot, boosting the level of my gameplay,  From a more objective standpoint, getting the first spot, and the first shot sets the tone and the pace of combat.  If you can successfully do this, you control the early game and can usually sculpt wins before the enemy has a chance to start playing."

This is one of the reasons I hate that binocs are gone from the game.  I used to put them on every med and light, and most heavies.  If you are in a medium, you could scoot to a place with a view, light up the reds, hit one, then start to play the medium game.

Now you just hope that someone else wanders into the reds and lights them up.  Or all 7 of you bump into all 7 of them and a 40-second brawl starts and ends.

DMG, I'd love to hear more about how that actually happens now that EVERYONE has the same view range, since all tanks mount optics.  The best you can do is hide behind a bush, but we all know where those bushes are, so if you get spotted you just put a round into them ...

Dark_Magician_Girl #16 Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:28 AM

Wicked Witch of the West

• Players
  • 43913 battles
  • [_STR8]

View PostRage_And_Love, on 22 May 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

DMG, I'd love to hear more about how that actually happens now that EVERYONE has the same view range, since all tanks mount optics.  The best you can do is hide behind a bush, but we all know where those bushes are, so if you get spotted you just put a round into them ...

I never ran binoculars on meds/lights and I usually get the first spot and the first shot away.  The trick is abusing the intricacies of bushes.  

Longbottom_Leaf #17 Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:14 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19734 battles
  • [HELLS]

I lost my regular unicum platoon rate in 3.8 (I miss ya Rob!)

On discord her would mention after some of my deaths to RUN AWAY MORE. 

Great article DMG. It can help us all when implementing the things mentioned.

KingxChuck #18 Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:28 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17304 battles
  • [DD]
Great info
It's horrific to imagine a bearded man with that profile pic tho... 

Me going hill

↳                    Morons who go town                     ↵

NitroTheCreator #19 Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:37 AM

Bow Down Before Me

• Players
  • 43123 battles
  • [CYCLN]
Damn this is an impressive peice of strategic art! It's like your in my head! You need your own weekly article in the portal 

Warren5 #20 Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:50 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 3676 battles
  • [_VG_]
Fantastic post -well impressed with the advise given, I copied and placed this on the EU forum - thanks for the tips :great:

Also tagged with Art, DMG

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users