lag

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

CptCheez #21 Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:37 AM

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

• Players
  • 15398 battles

View Postreluctanttheist, on 04 July 2017 - 07:50 PM, said:

I've made quite a few Pingplotter runs to figure out where on the worldwide-waste-of-time the problem is originating - and I've been getting consistent packet losses with three hops operated by Gcore.  Gcore is a content delivery network that - from what I can read - is delivering content for Wargaming.  WoT PC is also having lag/latency grief right now on their east coast server.

Gcore isn't delivering content for WG.  They're a hosting provider.  They host the game server(s) for WG in Equinix's Ashburn datacenter.  What you're seeing in that trace is packet loss on one of Equinix's core datacenter switches.  Unfortunately, WG has no control over that infrastructure, only Equinix does.  And we, as WG's customers, can't contact Equinix about that.  Only WG can, as Equinix's customer.

So yes, keep submitting tickets and encourage WG to open a support case with Equinix.  They need to fix their network.

"When the going gets tough and the stomach acids flow, 
The cold wind of conformity is nipping at your nose.
When some trendy new atrocity has brought you to your knees
Come with us we'll sail the Seas of Cheese."

_SuicideKing_ #22 Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:30 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7967 battles
  • [OGRE]

View PostCptCheez, on 05 July 2017 - 04:37 AM, said:

Gcore isn't delivering content for WG.  They're a hosting provider.  They host the game server(s) for WG in Equinix's Ashburn datacenter.  What you're seeing in that trace is packet loss on one of Equinix's core datacenter switches.  Unfortunately, WG has no control over that infrastructure, only Equinix does.  And we, as WG's customers, can't contact Equinix about that.  Only WG can, as Equinix's customer.

So yes, keep submitting tickets and encourage WG to open a support case with Equinix.  They need to fix their network.

I guess I could always transfer my account to Asia Server.

Couldn't possibly be any worse than what I'm going through now.

vvk2 #23 Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:59 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 69136 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View Postreluctanttheist, on 04 July 2017 - 06:50 PM, said:

I've been tracking some bad lag for a couple of weeks now and have a ticket into WG, who making me jump through a number of hoops to ensure that the lag is real.

Symptoms:

• your tank jerks around a bit as you drive, as do other tanks - no smooth input or driving
  • your tank stops or starts a moment after you put in the input for it to do so
  • your tank fires a moment after you hit the button

I've made quite a few Pingplotter runs to figure out where on the worldwide-waste-of-time the problem is originating - and I've been getting consistent packet losses with three hops operated by Gcore.  Gcore is a content delivery network that - from what I can read - is delivering content for Wargaming.  WoT PC is also having lag/latency grief right now on their east coast server.

Spoiler

If more of you can submit tickets on this problem (if you're having it) WG can hopefully get this sorted out.

Thanks for digging into this! 

I was wondering if something is going on. I don't usually get lags when I am connected to my home WiFi. But lately the gameplay was weird (some of the symptoms you described). It definitely looks like a CDN-rooted issue (I didn't know WG uses a CDN for Blitz). That also means it may take a while to fix it... Sadly

Edited by vvk2, 05 July 2017 - 02:03 PM.

NateDawg2k16 #24 Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:05 PM

Swedish Mafia Captain

• Players
  • 13565 battles
  • [META]

http://imgur.com/a/5JirR

Hit play and here are the worst... Seem to be everywhere for me

"If you're gonna go out, go out with a bang." - Nobody said this. But somebody should have. 

vvk2 #25 Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:18 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 69136 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostCptCheez, on 04 July 2017 - 11:37 PM, said:

Packet losses on DC LAN switches that are going on for this long? Are they Dlink switches? And I am afraid to even guess who they hire for the network admins...

LOL 

CptCheez #26 Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:18 PM

• Players
  • 15398 battles

View Postvvk2, on 05 July 2017 - 10:18 AM, said:

Packet losses on DC LAN switches that are going on for this long? Are they Dlink switches? And I am afraid to even guess who they hire for the network admins...

LOL 

You'd be surprised at how much packet loss can be considered "acceptable" in colo networks.

Ericmopar #27 Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:01 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3271 battles

Interesting.

Not only is one server down completely, but "tcore" and "telia.net" are sources of huge lag increases as well.

The Western NA servers are fine in Silicon Valley, unfortunately we don't have the Blitz servers there.

Edited by Ericmopar, 05 July 2017 - 06:14 PM.

Old and Treacherous Flying Monkey.

SMERSH_T #28 Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:14 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 11625 battles
  • [WRDGZ]
I play from Europe and have no lags on the NA server.

acrisis #29 Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:24 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20329 battles
  • [III-X]

Letting others know they're not alone, showing what & where the issue is; plus getting WG's attention is why we have this topic :)

Edited by acrisis, 05 July 2017 - 06:25 PM.

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

Got lag issues ?  >> Pingplotter thread  << 
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training  | Mentor

__Crusader6__ #30 Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:40 PM

Annoying Mod

• Players
  • 58748 battles
  • [-C6-]
Game play in Northern VA today was excellent.  Significant difference from the last few days 

Tank Hoarder: 365 tanks in Garage:  366/368 aced (AMX 30B, Mk1 and T49A repo),    wallet warrior.  Loyal M60 owner
I think 5.5 was good for the game - But I also want my Kenny OP nerfed. 
Sorry I haven’t aced the Smasher yet - So I’m still ruining tier 6-8 

mikesd1 #31 Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:56 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17416 battles
  • [WTFOX]

Lag city and during the worst times. Can't believe we pay for this crap

Full_Shane #32 Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:42 PM

Drinker of Tears, Exposer of Sealclubbers

• Players
  • 11827 battles
  • [STPLR]

since we're all sharing...

DuckDodgers_ #33 Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:38 PM

Private

• Players
  • 35 battles
Another data point, teleporting tanks, jumpy movement, impossible to play at times while showing a 40ms ping and my internet speeds are extremely fast. This is complete [edited]. NA server East, last 3 weeks have been HORRIBLE.

The49thParallel #34 Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:40 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 13543 battles

This game has been extremely laggy and jumpy over these past few days.

My system is fine and network is fine.

reluctanttheist #35 Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:19 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 24844 battles
  • [III-H]

I'm keeping their feet to the fire on this one.  This is going to Twitter, too

Spoiler

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

WriterDude #36 Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:05 PM

My Posts Are Forum Prammo

• Players
  • 23053 battles

View Postreluctanttheist, on 06 July 2017 - 09:19 AM, said:

I'm keeping their feet to the fire on this one.  This is going to Twitter, too

Yeah, I keep running Pingplotter, and getting bad results even outside of Equinix. In this one, I note the following:

62% packet loss from the qwest boundary server, where it hands off to the backbone. (This varies quite a bit.)

Cogentco backbone traffic follows a predictable path - Los Angeles, Phoenix, El Paso, Houston, Miami, but although PHX is a node, they're routing my traffic through Los Angeles? I also have no idea why they're routing through MIA instead of ATL.

8% packet loss at the Equinix boundary server, where it receives from the backbone.

This is one of the reasons it's so unreasonable to blame lag and latency on Wargaming. I blame them for any number of things they can control, but they can't control the way my ISP routes its network traffic. Here's a link to Cogent's network map, just so people can start seeing the complexity with just one ISP. http://www.cogentco.com/files/images/network/network_map/2017web_networkmap_page.jpg

Apparently "login.wotblitz.com" goes to a range of IPs. It goes to 162.216.228.35 in the Pingplotter app, but when I created a terminal session and did a traceroute on my Mac based on the DNS entry, it resolved to 162.216.228.39. I suspect they have their server clustered with failover, but it's weird that I'd see two IPs that way. Did they configure it with DNS virtual hosts rather than as a cluster? Please say they didn't do that. LOL

Spoiler

Worthy of focus fire by SPUDX.  Potato Cred Link

"In Blitz, there's a certain value in expeditiously moving to the inevitable." -WriterDude

Ericmopar #37 Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:43 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 3271 battles

That's almost funny...

They're trying to blame our ISPs, but we're getting routed by different ISPs through the same troublesome hubs and server farms.

Wargaming is probably contracting their customer service in some place like India and isn't even seeing the complaints. The CS contractor may be hiding all this from them to make it look like they're "problem solving"

Old and Treacherous Flying Monkey.

tpcshadow #38 Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:45 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30744 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostWriterDude, on 06 July 2017 - 12:05 PM, said:

Yeah, I keep running Pingplotter, and getting bad results even outside of Equinix. In this one, I note the following:

62% packet loss from the qwest boundary server, where it hands off to the backbone. (This varies quite a bit.)

Cogentco backbone traffic follows a predictable path - Los Angeles, Phoenix, El Paso, Houston, Miami, but although PHX is a node, they're routing my traffic through Los Angeles? I also have no idea why they're routing through MIA instead of ATL.

8% packet loss at the Equinix boundary server, where it receives from the backbone.

This is one of the reasons it's so unreasonable to blame lag and latency on Wargaming. I blame them for any number of things they can control, but they can't control the way my ISP routes its network traffic. Here's a link to Cogent's network map, just so people can start seeing the complexity with just one ISP. http://www.cogentco.com/files/images/network/network_map/2017web_networkmap_page.jpg

Apparently "login.wotblitz.com" goes to a range of IPs. It goes to 162.216.228.35 in the Pingplotter app, but when I created a terminal session and did a traceroute on my Mac based on the DNS entry, it resolved to 162.216.228.39. I suspect they have their server clustered with failover, but it's weird that I'd see two IPs that way. Did they configure it with DNS virtual hosts rather than as a cluster? Please say they didn't do that. LOL

Spoiler

There are actually 3 addresses:

>nslookup login.wotblitz.com 4.2.2.1
Server:  a.resolvers.level3.net
Address:  4.2.2.1
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    login.wotblitz.com
Addresses:  162.216.228.32

Hopefully that is just for the login and not the actual game servers.

CptCheez #39 Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:48 PM

• Players
  • 15398 battles

View PostWriterDude, on 06 July 2017 - 02:05 PM, said:

It's not odd at all.  Any kind of game server (whether it's a cluster of servers or a single box) is going to have multiple IPs that incoming traffic can use.  The OS will load balance it, whether using round-robin or any of a number of other balancing techniques.  They can spread the load over multiple NICs that way.

tpcshadow #40 Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:57 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30744 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostEricmopar, on 05 July 2017 - 12:01 PM, said:

Interesting.

Not only is one server down completely, but "tcore" and "telia.net" are sources of huge lag increases as well.

The Western NA servers are fine in Silicon Valley, unfortunately we don't have the Blitz servers there.

​I'm near Dallas, and I'm getting routed through telia.net in Dallas (dls-b21-link.telia.net) and getting a consistent 3-6% ping loss there. The next step is Ashburn, VA (https://tsic-dev.appspot.com/), where the gcore hosting seems to actually be located (https://gcore.lu/ - notice the WG customer quote at the bottom of the page).

Also tagged with lag

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users