39 replies to this topic

Sharpe40475 #21 Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:50 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 26358 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 17 July 2017 - 04:44 PM, said:

Not on purpose I'm not :)

Apparently there is a variable that WG can adjust that makes some armor "better/harder/stronger" than other armor.  From what I understand this variable has not really been used, as it has always been set to the same value across the board.

I think of it like this.    

The metal that makes up my armor has a strength of 100%.  (Whatever that means).   This new equipment thing, now means that the metal is now 105% "strong".   (Whatever that means)

I don't see differences in the red-hit skins when testing this in training rooms (Maybe I'm doing it wrong).   

This was a lazy way for WG to implement this feature - there was no coding involved - they changed a variable.  This let them avoid complicated coding like the hit-skin adjustment I mentioned here, as well as the over-match math.  

I just don't have confidence it works - where as I can see the additional hit points on my tank.

Peace-

Boris

Ok, you've really got me thinking about this now. lol (as if I didn't already have enough, more important things to do today)

You've said you've tested it, so Let me ask you a few questions to save myself some time.

Suppose you have a tank that has a max pen of 100mm and you have a tank that has 105 mm of armor.......................... will tank A ever be able to randomly pen tank B?

If not, then have you specifically tried to test tanks with just such a scenario, where the supposed 5% increase in armor turned it into a tank that couldn't be penned at all, where as before it could be penned with the random RNG amount of damage?

Inspiration for WriterDude's forum Signature is my single greatest accomplishment since starting to play Blitz! 

BorisBaddenov #22 Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:56 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 17769 battles
  • [ST2RM]

View PostSharpe40475, on 17 July 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

Suppose you have a tank that has a max pen of 100mm and you have a tank that has 105 mm of armor.......................... will tank A ever be able to randomly pen tank B?

Actually 105 mm of armor -- then no - I don't think you should be able to pen 105 mm of actual armor thickness with a max pen of 100.      

View PostSharpe40475, on 17 July 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

If not, then have you specifically tried to test tanks with just such a scenario, where the supposed 5% increase in armor turned it into a tank that couldn't be penned at all, where as before it could be penned with the random RNG amount of damage?

Yes - tank could be penned -- but if the actual armor thickness were increased by 5% then there should be no way to pen (see my answer to your first).  But even with this armor boost applied - still got penned.

Was also discussed on the EU forums  - that's what got me on to it.

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

Sharpe40475 #23 Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:01 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 26358 battles
  • [SPUDX]
Boris, you've convinced me. I switched to increased HP on all my tanks. At least until this improved armor sounds like more of a tangible benefit.
Inspiration for WriterDude's forum Signature is my single greatest accomplishment since starting to play Blitz! 

BorisBaddenov #24 Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:06 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 17769 battles
  • [ST2RM]

View PostSharpe40475, on 18 July 2017 - 05:01 AM, said:

Boris, you've convinced me. I switched to increased HP on all my tanks. At least until this improved armor sounds like more of a tangible benefit.

Sharpe -

Watch today's update.  There is mention in the release notes that sounds like an adjustment has been made to hit-skins and tank stats to reflect the Enhanced Armor.  Maybe they fixed stuff?

Boris

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

jkwon126 #25 Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:59 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22619 battles
  • [HUCK]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 18 July 2017 - 09:06 AM, said:

Sharpe -

Watch today's update.  There is mention in the release notes that sounds like an adjustment has been made to hit-skins and tank stats to reflect the Enhanced Armor.  Maybe they fixed stuff?

Boris

We need Jean-Luc Picard in charge.

"Make it so."

[WOTBStars] [BlitzStars]

What was that?  Can't hear you over my freedom of speech -Blartch

Sharpe40475 #26 Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:19 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 26358 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 18 July 2017 - 01:06 PM, said:

Sharpe -

Boris

Will do

Duke_87 #27 Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:21 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 24967 battles
  • [MOMS]

re: buffed armor not working

Can anyone corroborate this? Seems like an easy enough thing to implement in SW. They would have to try to goof this up.

Goal: Suck incrementally less, day by day

BorisBaddenov #28 Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:38 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 17769 battles
  • [ST2RM]

View PostDuke_87, on 18 July 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

re: buffed armor not working

Can anyone corroborate this? Seems like an easy enough thing to implement in SW. They would have to try to goof this up.

It works -- in a way :)

You've read this thread?  I try and 'splain it up there ^^

jkwon126 #29 Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:39 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22619 battles
  • [HUCK]
so it works for dmg reduction but not auto-bounce?

[WOTBStars] [BlitzStars]

What was that?  Can't hear you over my freedom of speech -Blartch

BorisBaddenov #30 Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 17769 battles
  • [ST2RM]

View Postjkwon126, on 18 July 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

so it works for dmg reduction but not auto-bounce?

I don't know exactly how it works.  I've explained it the best way I can.  My tests indicated to me that it did not add true thickness to your armor - so that would mean to me that it is not helping prevent an over-match situation - I would also think that it would not make it easier to auto bounce - as the effective armor is not any "thicker" - it is just made up of "different/harder/stronger/better" metal -- Whatever that means :)

Peace-

Boris

TengenToppaPotatoLagann #31 Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:18 PM

ᵐʸ ʰᵉˢʰ ʷᶦᶫᶫ ᵖᶦᵉʳᶜᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ʰᵉᵃᵛᵉᶰˢ﹗

• Players
  • 45176 battles
  • [RNSF]

Higher pen guns get calibrated shells, for me that's mostly higher tier cannons. 

Unless its specifically a ramming tank, or one with cursed crew members, protected modules.

Optics on almost everything. Light tanks I went camo, and most TDs got camo also. Grille camo is too trash, so I went optics. Hype 59 view range already good, so I went camo for easy mode farming. I have max camo skills, so the bonus on the move is very interesting. 

Engine accelerator on everything. Traverse looks good on some tanks, but the difference in traverse buff compared to the E.A. isn't that much. If a tank has low traverse, adding a percentage of that isn't going to be a big buff, either. 

HP on zero armor tanks, enhanced armor on rest. (Consider thin layers of angled or spaced armor, if they get any buff to them at all, the effective [edited]is multiplied. M/10 is going to be a monster this patch. Russian tanks love this. )

EGLD on most tanks that I would aim with. Supercharged shells on tanks that take snapshots and can engage from range. Really an odd mix and match here. 

Vertical Stabilizer. Pretty sure I don't have any cannons in the garage that have massive enough dispersion for refined gun to be an effective buff... Plus, I tend to snap off a lot of shots. 

The toolbox, because I have maxed repair skills already. 

Past that, there are only a couple that I truly maxed out: ke-ni otsu, type 59, and the PzII.G that was lucky enough to be the focus of my affection on and around that patch... 

ZIoydd, on 16 November 2017 - 09:47 AM, said:

Fixed.

Narrator, on 16 November 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

​ The problem had not been fixed.

Spekulatius #32 Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:48 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26073 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostJrk9259, on 17 July 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

I carry no equipment and never use camo or premium ammo.  If they fix equipment/spare parts I might consider using it again.

Well,  you are playing the Keni-Otsu a lot lately, with decent success, but the rest of your tanks is a pretty mixed bag. Just not using the equipment yourself does not mean that anybody else won't do so, maybe not in Tier 3 , but definitly if you go higher in Tiers.

What did you actually do with the spare parts that you did receive so far - did you just warehouse them?

Community pledge signer

Currently driving: JPanther II, SU-152, SU-100M, ISU-152, Obj 704, KV-1S, Victory, (-o-), T54, T-44, E75, Hetzer, Jagdtiger, T29, T34, M103, M105, IS-3, IS6, IS-8, IS-7. Chromwell B, Comet, ,Caern, Conquerer, Churchill VII, Black Prince,Tiger P, VK45.02A,B, At-15A, S35, DW2

gambit_ronin #33 Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:06 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 27145 battles

I used up all my spare parts conversion prepping tanks I though I might use in a tournament happening right after that update. I thought I would only be able to really play those tanks.

after a couple weeks of that, I was bored, started playing tanks with only the first 3 slots full, and found out they do just fine.

I'm really surprised anyone is still bent about the spare parts thing.

DanAnsomeHansome #34 Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:58 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 28793 battles
  • [MOMS]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 17 July 2017 - 02:26 PM, said:

Personally -

Enhanced Tracks -- I would only consider this for very heavy tanks that are likely to constantly be tracked.  I carry two repair kits - so I don't think I need this one at all - I'd rather save the Sparse Parts.

Consumable Delivery System - Total waste of Sparse Parts in my opinion.  Total Waste.  Please stop spending them here :)

Peace-

Boris

This. 

I would say the last 2 I skip a lot. The tool box thing isn't worth it for me. 

Bocaj78 #35 Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:12 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 9466 battles
  • [T1GER]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 17 July 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

This does not work as described.  If you have 100 mm of armor and mount Enhanced Armor - you would expect to have 105 mm of armor - but NOPE.  You still have 100 mm of armor - it is just 5% stronger that normal armor.  This means that the over-match math, that you might have been counting on - does not come into play.

I've gone to the HP boost - at least I know that works as described.

Peace-

Boris

Can you explain how it works or point me in the right direction?

Give us the T-34 Mickey Mouse!

"The problem with kids these days is that they don't drink out of the skulls of their enemies." - Mr_Zoo

popisdead #36 Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:14 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 13181 battles
  • [HPR]

Generally I like the right side for penetration in column one cause,.. it's how you do damage.  

I do seem to be the odd duck here about it though.  

With Prammo alpha going down I would rather flank or just have a bit better chances to penetration with regular ammo.

I love kemping bush

BorisBaddenov #37 Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:19 AM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 17769 battles
  • [ST2RM]

View PostBocaj78, on 18 July 2017 - 03:12 PM, said:

Can you explain how it works or point me in the right direction?

done the best I can in this thread

Sharpe40475 #38 Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:26 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 26358 battles
  • [SPUDX]

Boris, Just read a notification that said there would be new updates to the hit skins to reflect the increased armor (or at least thats what I got out of it. lol)

Once you've had a change to check it out, i'd be interested to see if you think it's working in a more logical way.

Spekulatius #39 Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:43 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26073 battles
  • [III-S]

View Post

after a couple weeks of that, I was bored, started playing tanks with only the first 3 slots full, and found out they do just fine.

I am playing most tanks with only 3 equipment slots as well and I agree o e can do decently. Some tanks work better than others. I did notice that gun handling is lacking without Vstabs - the T49 and the IS6 had very notice issues with the aiming circle a d I found I don't always have time to wait for it to be closing. The alternative is to remain stationary more, inviting  well aimed return fire.

The Vstabs is probably the most important equipment pie e there is for some tanks and it is on the third row.

Community pledge signer

Currently driving: JPanther II, SU-152, SU-100M, ISU-152, Obj 704, KV-1S, Victory, (-o-), T54, T-44, E75, Hetzer, Jagdtiger, T29, T34, M103, M105, IS-3, IS6, IS-8, IS-7. Chromwell B, Comet, ,Caern, Conquerer, Churchill VII, Black Prince,Tiger P, VK45.02A,B, At-15A, S35, DW2

XoBlitzkriegoX #40 Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:12 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 28122 battles

View PostSharpe40475, on 17 July 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

So, are you saying that it potentially works like it gives you a 5% increase chance of bouncing a shot that would otherwise pen? 

AHF was used in wot pc at release. it was ditched sometime in 2012. the multipliers were 1.0-1.2. the tiger 1 had a multiplier of 1.1 iirc. 

5% means your armor now has a 1.05 multiplier on the armor. 200mm of armor now acts like 210mm armor. its not any thicker, but it acts as thicker armor. thats why it doesn't show up on the overlay as thicker armor. this is really only useful for heavy tanks with high armor values or tanks with highly angled armor. it helps you to bounce more often. it doesn't affect over match mechanics but it may still cause a bounce regardless.

this mechanic was removed from wot pc because the players had a huge issue with it. some tanks had 20% extra armor which made them nearly impossible to kill. most of them were at lower tiers so seal clubbing was rampant.

5% armor buff isnt broken, it does work, and it is viable. 

Basically, wotb devs stole old broken code and threw it into wotb to justify their spare parts [edited]. info below is old and out date but relevant to the discussion:

http://forum.worldof...ization-factor/

http://www.wotdb.info/ - hover over a right, right click, then select "more info" on the pop up's tabs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users