Have No Fear: Tanks that scare no one

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

GeneralBossman #1 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:07 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 8883 battles
  • [RNSF]

We all have those tanks that when you round a corner and one of them pops up you think "Oh that poor guy is driving one of those...". While they may not necessarily be bad machines, these are the tanks that don't worry me in the slightest when I see them on the red team. I picked one or two from each tier, 5 and up.

Tier 5-

T1 Heavy:     This American heavy has a lot of problems which make it easy prey. The tank is huge and a very easy target while also being fairly slow. The frontal armor is unimpressive and full of weakpoints with side armor that was most likely constructed out of cardboard and elmer's glue.

Edit: Looking back I was wrong about the mobility, but I don't think the armor stands up to a lot of the guns at t5 and t6.

Pz.Sfl. IVc:    The utter lack of armor on the flak bus makes this TD an HE magnet, and as most of its players have a hard time making use of its camo, it usually doesn't take long for it to be spotted and nuked into oblivion.

Tier 6-

VK 36.01H:   This is one of those tanks that isn't particularly bad, but is nothing special and never a tank I worry about engaging. It's lower frontal plate is fairly easy to pen and it also suffers from the T1/M6 problem of having big, flat, squishy sides (making it a favorite snack for my kv2).

AT8:              This one shouldn't be too hard to figure out, but lets go over the reasons anyway. This TD has good armor on paper, but its completely negated by the massive cupola and cosmetic gun on the right side of the tank. The weakspots coupled with horrid mobility make this tank almost entirely non-threatening for anything with a shred of mobility.

Tier 7-

M41 Walker-Bulldog:   Probably the most underwhelming part of the American light tanks, the Bulldog is straight up a bad tank. The armor of the thing makes a VW Beetle feel like a Maus, and while it's fast, the speed it has is nothing special compared to other equal or lesser tier light tanks. It's choice of guns is hardly stellar either, with a lack of pen, alpha, and dpm across the board.

Panther:     This is one of those tanks that is not that bad at all. The thing about the Panther is that it's average in just about everything making it not particularly scary to fight.

Tier 8-

Centurion 1:   Another example of big, fat tanks without much armor. This medium doesn't have the speed or gun to stack up to other tier 8 meds like the T-44 or STA-1.

Tier 9-

For me at least, no tank in particular really stands out to me as being non-threatening. Tier 9 is one of my favorite to play at and I feel that it's moderately well balanced. I can't say there are any real losers here.

Tier 10-

FV42002:    This tank has similar problems as its little brother at tier 8. The FV42002 is a big tank and doesn't have the frontal armor like an E50M to make up for it. It's also not very fast. I'd much rather fight one of these than a Russian or German med as they have powerful guns and the ability to bounce a shot.

So there you have it, my tier for tier list of tanks that I'm never really afraid of. Maybe some of these tanks are more powerful than I give them credit for, or maybe I missed a good candidate for most unimpressive tank at their tier. Let me know which tanks you guys feel are easy prey!

Edited by GeneralBossman, 17 July 2017 - 04:01 PM.

generalbossman_tigers_eng.jpeg

Sharpe40475 #2 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:10 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22436 battles
  • [6_CAV]
Can we add the Emil to the list?

MarBearCat #3 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:11 PM

Pennsylvania's Favorite Cat!

• Players
  • 19288 battles
  • [SDWA]
Yea my T1 Heavy does not agree with your opinion.

MarBearCat #4 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:13 PM

• Players
  • 19288 battles
  • [SDWA]

The T1 Heavy is not "fairly slow" it is quite mobile for a Heavy. 

You obviously don't have one or you're just horrible with it.

GeneralBossman #5 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:15 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 8883 battles
  • [RNSF]

View PostMarBearCat, on 17 July 2017 - 09:13 AM, said:

The T1 Heavy is not "fairly slow" it is quite mobile for a Heavy. 

You obviously don't have one or you're just horrible with it.

Hey no need to get offended, all I'm saying is that it's a tank that really doesn't bother me if it's on red team. As with everything on this list, there are going to be people who are great with the tanks, but in an average game of blitz, they don't bother me.

dindincf #6 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:16 PM

Potato Rights Activist

• Players
  • 17131 battles
  • [-7-]

View PostGeneralBossman, on 17 July 2017 - 07:07 AM, said:

We all have those tanks that when you round a corner and one of them pops up you think "Oh that poor guy is driving one of those...". While they may not necessarily be bad machines, these are the tanks that don't worry me in the slightest when I see them on the red team. I picked one or two from each tier, 5 and up.

Tier 5-

T1 Heavy:     This American heavy has a lot of problems which make it easy prey. The tank is huge and a very easy target while also being fairly slow. The frontal armor is unimpressive and full of weakpoints with side armor that was most likely constructed out of cardboard and elmer's glue.

Pz.Sfl. IVc:    The utter lack of armor on the flak bus makes this TD an HE magnet, and as most of its players have a hard time making use of its camo, it usually doesn't take long for it to be spotted and nuked into oblivion.

Tier 6-

VK 36.01H:   This is one of those tanks that isn't particularly bad, but is nothing special and never a tank I worry about engaging. It's lower frontal plate is fairly easy to pen and it also suffers from the T1/M6 problem of having big, flat, squishy sides (making it a favorite snack for my kv2).

AT8:              This one shouldn't be too hard to figure out, but lets go over the reasons anyway. This TD has good armor on paper, but its completely negated by the massive cupola and cosmetic gun on the right side of the tank. The weakspots coupled with horrid mobility make this tank almost entirely non-threatening for anything with a shred of mobility.

Tier 7-

M41 Walker-Bulldog:   Probably the most underwhelming part of the American light tanks, the Bulldog is straight up a bad tank. The armor of the thing makes a VW Beetle feel like a Maus, and while it's fast, the speed it has is nothing special compared to other equal or lesser tier light tanks. It's choice of guns is hardly stellar either, with a lack of pen, alpha, and dpm across the board.

Panther:     This is one of those tanks that is not that bad at all. The thing about the Panther is that it's average in just about everything making it not particularly scary to fight.

Tier 8-

Centurion 1:   Another example of big, fat tanks without much armor. This medium doesn't have the speed or gun to stack up to other tier 8 meds like the T-44 or STA-1.

Tier 9-

For me at least, no tank in particular really stands out to me as being non-threatening. Tier 9 is one of my favorite to play at and I feel that it's moderately well balanced. I can't say there are any real losers here.

Tier 10-

FV42002:    This tank has similar problems as its little brother at tier 8. The FV42002 is a big tank and doesn't have the frontal armor like an E50M to make up for it. It's also not very fast. I'd much rather fight one of these than a Russian or German med as they have powerful guns and the ability to bounce a shot.

So there you have it, my tier for tier list of tanks that I'm never really afraid of. Maybe some of these tanks are more powerful than I give them credit for, or maybe I missed a good candidate for most unimpressive tank at their tier. Let me know which tanks you guys feel are easy prey!

Not sure what you are talking about with a few of these.  

1. T1 heavy is a boss.  Almost as fast as some mediums.
  2. Vk 36.01 goes 51 km/h and has a wonderful aim time.  I noticed that you avg 800 damage in it.  Maybe that is why your perception of it is negative.
  3. Panther is amazing.  DPM and penetration are both excellent.  

Edited by dindincf, 17 July 2017 - 04:42 PM.

Duke_87 #7 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:16 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 23185 battles
  • [MOMS]

The front armor of the FV4202 is actually quite reasonable; you can definitely get bounces off the upper glacis. It's glaring weakpoint is the turret. It is inexcusable you can shoot the thing right in the gun and get an easy pen. Dumbest turret design (by WG) they have. Why, WG? Why?

Loving my wonderful, awesome, spectacular, OP, and freeeeeeee M60! But gawd the credit earnings suck! Really WG?

tankeatingtiger #8 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:22 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 3749 battles
  • [ALL4J]
T20/T21 because of average speed and low alpha gun, it's like a comet without the speed, armor, and gun depression :(

BakalovBoy #9 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:24 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10155 battles
  • [IR0]
I always have and always will despise the T1 Heavy. That thing is a total joke and I feel bad for the people that play and are the first ones to die.

M6 isn't all that better but at least it gets a pretty good 90mm gun.

GeneralBossman #10 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:26 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 8883 battles
  • [RNSF]
Just to be clear here, I don't think all of these tanks are necessarily bad. These are just tanks that don't scare me too much when I run into them on red. Some of them may actually be pretty decent, but are tanks I don't have too many problems with

dindincf #11 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:27 PM

Potato Rights Activist

• Players
  • 17131 battles
  • [-7-]

View Posttankeatingtiger, on 17 July 2017 - 07:22 AM, said:

T20/T21 because of average speed and low alpha gun, it's like a comet without the speed, armor, and gun depression :(

It does have reasonable speed and gun depression.  It lacks dpm and a gun mantlet.

Sharpe40475 #12 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:28 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 22436 battles
  • [6_CAV]

I think some of you are missing the point. 

Some tanks are feared and game changers. 

While the T1 is good tank, it doesn't scare me. If I see a tanker who I know is good in a T1, I'm worried about that tanker, not the tank per se. 

My view on this is which tanks make you say "oh [edited]" and back up if you were to round a corner and unexpectedly run into them. 

Tanks I worry about; KV-2, deathstar-like tanks, t54, t95.

All of those may make you move on to plan B rather than carry on with what you were first intending.

RogueGen #13 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:28 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13441 battles
  • [6_CAV]

View PostGeneralBossman, on 17 July 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

Just to be clear here, I don't think all of these tanks are necessarily bad. These are just tanks that don't scare me too much when I run into them on red. Some of them may actually be pretty decent, but are tanks I don't have too many problems with

The title is a bit misleading in that regard. "Tanks that scare no one" implies its the worst tanks on the battlefield vs tanks that simply don't impress you. 

dindincf #14 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:31 PM

Potato Rights Activist

• Players
  • 17131 battles
  • [-7-]

View PostGeneralBossman, on 17 July 2017 - 07:26 AM, said:

We are taking issue with things you are trying to pass off as facts.  

"Panther is that it's average in just about everything"  [edited]its gun is one of the best at the tier

"(T1 Heavy) is huge and a very easy target while also being fairly slow."  [edited]very mobile

"VK 36.01H:   This is one of those tanks that isn't particularly bad, but is nothing special"  It goes 51 km/h

NaDa_22 #15 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:34 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19381 battles
  • [_V_]

View PostGeneralBossman, on 17 July 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

Tier 9-

Maybe T54E1?

But otherwise I also think that the tier 9 as a whole is well-balanced. 

GeneralBossman #16 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:35 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 8883 battles
  • [RNSF]

View Postdindincf, on 17 July 2017 - 09:31 AM, said:

We are taking issue with things you are trying to pass off as facts.  

"Panther is that it's average in just about everything"  [edited]its gun is one of the best at the tier

"(T1 Heavy) is huge and a very easy target while also being fairly slow."  [edited]very mobile

"VK 36.01H:   This is one of those tanks that isn't particularly bad, but is nothing special"  It goes 51 km/h

You are right, some of these tanks do have great aspects about them. But the bad aspects turn them into mediocre tanks that are very manageable in the hands of the average blitz player

dindincf #17 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:40 PM

Potato Rights Activist

• Players
  • 17131 battles
  • [-7-]

View PostGeneralBossman, on 17 July 2017 - 07:35 AM, said:

You are right, some of these tanks do have great aspects about them. But the bad aspects turn them into mediocre tanks that are very manageable in the hands of the average blitz player

They are just tanks that require skill to drive.  You will find yourself in big trouble if you underestimate these tanks.

GeneralBossman #18 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 8883 battles
  • [RNSF]

View Postdindincf, on 17 July 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

They are just tanks that require skill to drive.  You will find yourself in big trouble if you underestimate these tanks.

Yeah for some people these tanks can be absolute monsters, but that's true with practically any tank in the game if they're a skilled enough tanker. I know I've found myself outplayed by a sneaky flak bus or gotten stomped by a skilled panther, but typically I don't have as many issues fighting these tanks.

bumblemoose #19 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:47 PM

Lieutenant With a Compass

• Players
  • 14809 battles
  • [SWAMP]

View PostSharpe40475, on 17 July 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

I think some of you are missing the point. 

Some tanks are feared and game changers. 

While the T1 is good tank, it doesn't scare me. If I see a tanker who I know is good in a T1, I'm worried about that tanker, not the tank per se. 

My view on this is which tanks make you say "oh [edited]" and back up if you were to round a corner and unexpectedly run into them. 

Tanks I worry about; KV-2, deathstar-like tanks, t54, t95.

All of those may make you move on to plan B rather than carry on with what you were first intending.

I agree and will add that if you see certain tankers in certain tanks, then they're driving that tank for a reason.

Good tankers don't drive terrible tanks. That's why the're good tankers.

MarBearCat #20 Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

• Players
  • 19288 battles
  • [SDWA]
T1 Heavy is BOSS :angry:

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users