Cap capping base

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Tomio_Hara #1 Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

Monteagle madness

• Players
  • 18890 battles
  • [XWING]

Every non supremacy game you have ever played has always had one base. Most of the time it is ignored, and anyone who goes there is, often rightfully, called a noob. For most maps, the cap is severely lacking in cover and is exposed to fire from nearly all sides while simultaneously not allowing one to fire back. But on some maps, the cap is a great tool to use to draw the enemy out from hiding positions, cause panic amongst their ranks, and maybe even win! The base is a powerful tool in the hands of those who know how to use it, which is why I am making this guide.

As soon as you approach the base, you need to decide on a few things: 

1: When to cap. It is almost never a good idea to immediately go to the base at the start of a match. No one knows where the enemy are and if your whole team meets the whole enemy team head on then you will already be a tank down. In a lemming train vs lemming train situation don't cap. But if the teams go on opposite sides, then its the time to strike.

2: Objective of capping. Do you want to cap to draw the enemy out of hiding positions to get clear shots on them or cap as a way to win? On some maps its better for the former then latter and vise versa. Take Rockfield, if both teams go on opposite ends of the map a sniping battle soon starts. The base on that map would have 3/4 sides covered by your team and the hills. Only one side would be exposed and you can point your armor at it. Capping would force the enemy to come out and be obliterated.

3: Is it possible to do damage to the enemy while capping? If you decide on capping to win, you need to be in a spot to do damage. Going back to our Rockfield scenario, if you are in a tank with good turret armor and you go hull down on the small but steep hills, you are in a good position to do damage. When the enemy starts coming out to reset the cap they will have to aim on the weakpoints of your turret to do damage. While they are aiming you and your allies can pull off shots and maybe even destroy the opponent before he can fire. If you cannot do any damage while capping, make sure that you know your team can cover for you. If they cannot you have just lowered your win rate. 

4: What is the available cover? On many maps, the cap lacks any hard cover and the soft cover is almost useless. Lost Temple, Desert Sands, Oasis Palms, just to name a few. Only cap there when you know the enemy won't be able to pull off shots on you for a good while. On other maps such as Copperfield, Rockfield, Middleburg, and Dead Rail there is a degree of hard cover. Make sure to use it! Go hull down if possible or just simply hide behind buildings. These are some of the best maps to pull off a successful cap.

5: Are my allies willing to help or take shots for me in the cap? The answer is almost always no. Sure, some will help cap once you have passed the 40 mark, but before then its all you. If you happen to be in a platoon, see if you and your mate and cap together or server as one's "punching bag", the target that enemy tanks can shoot at thinking they can lower the cap counter. However, you will be capping solo most of the time.

Once you have decided when to cap, what your objective is, how much damage you can likely do from it, the available cover, and if you'll have any help you can use the answers to have a successful cap. Capturing the base has 3 phases:

1: Between 0-30 points most users will ignore it. They will think its either someone passing through or a dumb noob.

2: Between 31-70 points. Greens will start to take notice and may or may not join you while spamming "capture the base." At the same time reds will see this and spam "defend the base" in their chat. One or two may peel off to reset the cap but most will stay put trying to do damage. When you approach 70, if your goal was a distraction, you probably have succeeded and can expose yourself.

3: Between 71-100 points. Bum rush! Every single red with a brain will attempt to rush the base to reset the counter! At the same time greens with a half decent IQ will try to stop them or move into the cap to hasten the timer.

If you are the 'cap cow' stay calm and don't make any sudden moves. Pull off shots occasionally to help allies but don't expose yourself to much to enemy fire. When the counter starts closing in on 100 know that you will probably be bum rushed by 3 or 4 reds at the same time. Make sure to be ready! Before that critical moment ask allies to get near you to help fight the bum rushers. If you are not the 'cap cow' and only recently joined in the base, make sure to protect the cap cow at all costs. During the rush, the reds will probably have gone into brown alert mode, with them losing all sense of awareness and strategy. If you have decent players on your team several of the bum rushes can be killed to quickly gain a commanding advantage numbers wise. If your team is down on players, balance firing on the closes enemies and the ones with the lowest HP. Hopefully that will buy the cap cow enough time to get to 100 points and win.

Capturing the base is overrated among noobs and underrated among unicums. In low tiers these strategies won't work as often as they do in mid or high tiers. If you cap to draw low tier enemies out, they probably will just spin their tier II turrets around. If you cap to win you will be bum rushed by the entire red team with no assistance from your allies. At mid and high tiers, only cap after your team has either secured the area around the cap or you can do so from within the circle. Try to talk to your allies and explain your goal and some may listen and help. However don't stay on the cap if you have less then 70 points while your team is starting to collapse, they are likely falling because they were down by one gun: yours! 

I hope this was a helpful guide, I spent more time then I should writing this out. I cringe whenever I hear someone say "the cap is always useless" and this partly explains why. This guide is not perfect and doesn't cover everything, but I have yet to see a long and detailed guide written in the past few months about capping. If I am wrong please link it in this thread!

Happy hunting - Tomio_Hara

Bonus

Tomio Hara was the chief of Japanese tank development during the pre war period and WWII

Want to cap base? Read this!

Tomio_Hara #2 Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:14 PM

Monteagle madness

• Players
  • 18890 battles
  • [XWING]
I really did spend too much time on this 

Tomio Hara was the chief of Japanese tank development during the pre war period and WWII

WizoGT379 #3 Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:17 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5054 battles
  • [C_S1]
Thx I think I might try that 

WizoGT379 #4 Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:17 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5054 battles
  • [C_S1]

View PostTomio_Hara, on 24 July 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

Well thx it helps

40_Percenter #5 Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:04 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 11577 battles
  • [CRUEL]
I don't have a problem with capping as a strategy to lure the reds in to my team in a predictable manner where I can dispatch them with tactical advantage on the terrain.  The problem is that most teams cant help but chase the reds which inevitably split the team to our detriment.

_1204_ #6 Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:26 PM

Admiral Kitty

• Players
  • 21757 battles
  • [501ST]

I dont care who you are, if all the reds go flank in fort despair, I WILL cap, and it usually works out okay. If you wanna [edited]about a win, there is a serious issue

Tomio_Hara #7 Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:47 PM

Monteagle madness

• Players
  • 18890 battles
  • [XWING]

View Post_1204_, on 24 July 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

I dont care who you are, if all the reds go flank in fort despair, I WILL cap, and it usually works out okay. If you wanna [edited]about a win, there is a serious issue

I do the same on rock field if I am in a tank with good turret armor. Love seeing pubbies rush me with no thought about the two big TD's right behind the base

CrimsonJaeger #8 Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:51 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6661 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostTomio_Hara, on 24 July 2017 - 10:47 AM, said:

I do the same on rock field if I am in a tank with good turret armor. Love seeing pubbies rush me with no thought about the two big TD's right behind the base

Well thought out and written guide .I cap often on Dead Rail. I don't do it as a win unless they completely ignore me, But as a rule, there is no better way to get the corner snipers out of the corners.

Edited by CrimsonJaeger, 24 July 2017 - 07:52 PM.

CAMPERS AND TATERS - Not just your run-of-the-mill tots.

'That dude(ette) spamming the SOS button at the beginning on a match? Let them go, that's their lemming call to arms and it's the fastest ticket back to the garage. "  Goat_Rodeo

BobboEvans #9 Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:58 PM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 36010 battles
  • [501AU]
Only cap when you know all 7 reds are in an entrenched position and have given up controlling the map for fighting from a fortress.  Otherwise, capping is futile.

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

xXZachAttackXx_EOG #10 Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:09 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14981 battles
  • [RM-]
The only map I consider capping a consistently viable option is on vinyards in a tank with good turret armor, like the t32.

I'm good at this game I promise

Tomio_Hara #11 Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:34 PM

Monteagle madness

• Players
  • 18890 battles
  • [XWING]

View PostxXZachAttackXx_EOG, on 24 July 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

The only map I consider capping a consistently viable option is on vinyards in a tank with good turret armor, like the t32.

Huh, I rarely cap there. I have noticed some unis do cap on vineyards when my team or the enemies are cornered in the ruins to the north, but it is so exposed I have always thought it'd be to risky. The best maps for capping are Fort Despair because of all the cover and Copperfield but only in the mid/late game phases when one side has been secured.

bob_000 #12 Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:42 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10443 battles
  • [S3MC]

View PostTomio_Hara, on 24 July 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

Huh, I rarely cap there. I have noticed some unis do cap on vineyards when my team or the enemies are cornered in the ruins to the north, but it is so exposed I have always thought it'd be to risky. The best maps for capping are Fort Despair because of all the cover and Copperfield but only in the mid/late game phases when one side has been secured.

Vineyards is a great map to cap on. The houses and small dips in the terrain make it difficult to get shots into the cap. In addition to this, if the reds are holed up in ruins, having TDs in the middle can stop any reds from reaching the cap. The cap on Vineyards is best for Russian meds/strong turreted tanks with low profiles. Not that risky unless all the reds yolo at you.

BobboEvans #13 Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:43 PM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 36010 battles
  • [501AU]

View PostTomio_Hara, on 24 July 2017 - 08:34 PM, said:

The cap on vineyards actually has some great hull down if red goes all ruins.  That's one of the maps I might suggest capping with 7 reds in the ruins and green losing a game of attrition.

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

Tomio_Hara #14 Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:07 PM

Monteagle madness

• Players
  • 18890 battles
  • [XWING]

View Postbob_000, on 24 July 2017 - 02:42 PM, said:

Vineyards is a great map to cap on. The houses and small dips in the terrain make it difficult to get shots into the cap. In addition to this, if the reds are holed up in ruins, having TDs in the middle can stop any reds from reaching the cap. The cap on Vineyards is best for Russian meds/strong turreted tanks with low profiles. Not that risky unless all the reds yolo at you.

Ahh that's what I am missing. I haven't driven the low profile Russian mediums before. Another reason for me to pick up that line. I have seem successful caps in other good hull down tanks such as the E50 and STB-1. Next time the reds are all held up in the corner I'll have to try that strategy out!

outersketcher #15 Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:12 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10693 battles
  • [COD-R]

Capping in the newest, Mayan ruins map can be useful as a distraction and a lure. That cap is unique in that you can submerge your tank into that lily-pad covered reservoir of water. Do it in a low-slung tank like the English lights and you can hide from most guns aimed at you. Do it in an American hull down monster.. and you bounce shots while firing back. There is room to move back and forth in the water.

But please.. don't cap at the beginning of the battle. 

The ONLY cap I consider a target at the beginning of the battle would be Fort Despair. Rush there in a light with good depression.. take a peek. Light up the reds for your team,  then back down.

WORST Capping Strategy:

I have seen nearly entire teams bum-rush cap at the beginning of a battle.. all of them camping there. Which, in my opinion, is a STUPID idea. You've just penned all your chickens in one spot. Allowing the other team to surround you. And besides.. it doesn't matter HOW many tanks are in the cap circle, it only takes one red, loaded with HE to knock the countdown back to 0 again. 

Edited for terrible spelling

Edited by outersketcher, 24 July 2017 - 09:14 PM.

DamageDamageDamageDamageDamageDamageDamage....

xXZachAttackXx_EOG #16 Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:39 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14981 battles
  • [RM-]
Another map, though kind of well known by now, for capping is canal if enough reds rush the medium brawling area you can put a well armored heavy in cap and have your team farm the reds as the inevitably rush to reset. it can sometimes work with two heavies in cap as well.

j0nn0 #17 Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:55 AM

F2P Skrub

• Players
  • 12550 battles
  • [XREGS]

View PostTomio_Hara, on 24 July 2017 - 09:14 AM, said:

Midway down the post I was gonna ask. Its a fairly comprehensive resource though.

Sometimes, you just gotta sit back and watch them all burn. Don't forget to bring popcorn. You're going to need a snack.

Educated_Redneck #18 Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:43 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 11868 battles
  • [GZR]
Sometimes when I'm in a well armored slow tank I'll just head for the base, especially the PzIIJ. I can't catch up to the other tanks so I figure I'm being useful sitting on the cap. In all the hurly burly they often don't notice me until it's almost to late. It's hard to reset when they can't pen the armor. I've gotten a couple of raiders doing this. It can also cause the reds to break off and expose their backsides to easier damage.

xXZachAttackXx_EOG #19 Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:50 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14981 battles
  • [RM-]

View PostTomio_Hara, on 24 July 2017 - 05:14 PM, said:

No it's good. People don't talk about capping as a viable strategy very often despite the fact it can result in some of the most hilarious games.

CA_vampire #20 Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:03 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9518 battles
  • [MOM4]
I read that... "The art of crapping" ... and I thought it is another post complaining about WG... Sorry! 

Also tagged with Cap, capping, base

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users