Which Tier 8 Light tank for Tournament / Clan Wars?

T49 RU 251 T-54 ltwt

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Tier 8 Light for Tournament? (37 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 5 battles in order to participate this poll.

Which Tier 8 for Tournament / Clan Wars play?

1. T49 (9 votes [24.32%])

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

2. Ru 251 (5 votes [13.51%])

Percentage of vote: 13.51%

3. T-54 ltwt (23 votes [62.16%])

Percentage of vote: 62.16%

Vote Hide poll

limjonag #1 Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:16 AM

will grind for credits... and bacon.

• Players
  • 12826 battles
  • [MBTS]

I need help deciding which Tier 8 light tank would be good for Tier 8 Tournament and Clan Wars play.  If you had to choose only 1 of the 3 (T49, RU 251, T-54 ltwt), which of these would you grind and fully equip?

Edited by limjonag, 31 July 2017 - 06:17 AM.

Pengui472 #2 Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:50 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13701 battles
  • [FL-TH]
Depends on team comp. If you have meds, go ltwt for wolfpack. If you have more heavies to distract reds, go t49 and derp the heck out of enemy bums.

4sfield #3 Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:02 AM

Space Lord

• Players
  • 24714 battles
  • [CRUEL]

I wouldn't play a light in CW's. Why would anyone? RU maybe, but only vs a skrub clan. There are too many mediums that will do just as good a job spotting, have better armor and do better damage. 

Snowflakes - 1, Good Guys - 0

FREE _stealy!!!

Posit1ve_ #4 Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:39 AM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 31764 battles
  • [IRD]

View Post4sfield, on 31 July 2017 - 01:02 AM, said:

I wouldn't play a light in CW's. Why would anyone? RU maybe, but only vs a skrub clan. There are too many mediums that will do just as good a job spotting, have better armor and do better damage. 

You play a light if you want to win. With a light tank, you can get in early spots and get crucial information at the start of the match, you get much better DPM than most meds so you can finish enemy tanks, you get a lot of rotational flexibility with a light mid game to make the rotations to counter the enemy, and it's great for capping bases in Supremacy, and mid game, it can get vision on the enemy for your comparatively blind heavies. 

All 3 light tanks are viable for CW. Depends on map and strat for their usage.

T49: Used to counter TDs, other lights, and can be used for aggressive flanks to put in huge game changing shots on open maps. HE spam can also be used to dig out heavy defenses

RU-251: More of a dedicated scout tank, for taking aggressive passive scouting positions. Can also be used to snipe

T-54 ltwt: More of a brawling light tank, good for city maps like Himmelsdorf, and can be used in place of most meds to add extra mobility to a team.

I actually find meds to be the most useless class of tanks for CW, especially with the prammo nerf. Well armored meds like Type 59 are just clearly worse than heavies like IS-3, and more lightly armored damage dealing meds like T-44 are clearly worse than light tanks like T-54 ltwt, or the 50-100

Edited by Posit1ve_, 31 July 2017 - 07:44 AM.

268 tanks in the garage! (Pretty sure only Crusader6 has a larger garage)

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1 

Also a top 100 Autoloader player (top 100 in the AMX 50B, T57, T54E1, AMX 50 120, AMX 50 100, AMX 13 90, Bat Chat 25t AP, Bat Chat 25t)

limjonag #5 Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:03 AM

• Players
  • 12826 battles
  • [MBTS]

Thank you for the feedback.  Good comments so far.  Looks like the T49 is coming out on top.  

The role of the light tank is pretty important in team play.  I have 2 maxed out T8 heavies and 1 maxed out T8 mediums and need to add a T8 light to my arsenal for it's tactical value.

Edited by limjonag, 31 July 2017 - 08:06 AM.

KungFury15 #6 Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:10 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 14638 battles
  • [XWING]

View PostPosit1ve_, on 31 July 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

You play a light if you want to win. With a light tank, you can get in early spots and get crucial information at the start of the match, you get much better DPM than most meds so you can finish enemy tanks, you get a lot of rotational flexibility with a light mid game to make the rotations to counter the enemy, and it's great for capping bases in Supremacy, and mid game, it can get vision on the enemy for your comparatively blind heavies. 

All 3 light tanks are viable for CW. Depends on map and strat for their usage.

T49: Used to counter TDs, other lights, and can be used for aggressive flanks to put in huge game changing shots on open maps. HE spam can also be used to dig out heavy defenses

RU-251: More of a dedicated scout tank, for taking aggressive passive scouting positions. Can also be used to snipe

T-54 ltwt: More of a brawling light tank, good for city maps like Himmelsdorf, and can be used in place of most meds to add extra mobility to a team.

I actually find meds to be the most useless class of tanks for CW, especially with the prammo nerf. Well armored meds like Type 59 are just clearly worse than heavies like IS-3, and more lightly armored damage dealing meds like T-44 are clearly worse than light tanks like T-54 ltwt, or the 50-100

listen to this guy. His points are absolutely right. Also take into account the playstyle needed to play each of these tanks. The lightweight is good, but it needs to land its hits because it's reload is long for a light, with a decent amount of damage. However, it's armor can make it quiet deadly to tanks who have longer reloads as it can have lucky bounces that allow it to get in close and finish them. Then there's the 49. I like to think of this tank as one that needs a driver who is really good in a competition setting. In a pub match, it's easy to derp unsuspecting noobs and roll away practically wearing a troll face that is all but visible. However in tourneys and CW you suddenly have to worry about an organized and possibly better team who isn't likely to not notice that a t49 was last seen headed for an exposed flank and not set someone up to ruin his life. Also the fact that the armor is nothing and a single derpshot tends to make most 49 drivers cuss you out as they're the ones most used to derping. The longish reload is not as long as it should be on a tank with so much destructive potential in my opinion. The RU is the opposite of the 49 as I see it less as an agent of chaos rather than a weapon that can possibly be used for precise maneuvers. An ideal tourney match with him is to have him spot, maintain vantage points on the red, snap off sniping shots, and cut through the middle of engagement in order to reinforce a flank that might be having a hard time by coming from behind. The RU can take both the 49 and the lightweight in combat single handedly as it has the better dpm as well as the fact that if the 49 can't 1 shot it, it has the very high likelihood of being able to kill it after that first shot as it can land maybe 2 - 3 more hits depending on how good their aiming and driving skills are. In summary, all these tanks are great for clan wars, it depends on your play style, skill level, and what you have researched in your garage. o7;)

//  XWING  \\                                                  

ROGUE SQUADRON: Impossible is our stock of trade, and success is what we deliver. 

WipWapJaws #7 Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:42 AM

Clanless Scrub

• Players
  • 33034 battles
  • [WKD]
I would go the T54ltw, just because it is the most flexible.  It can fill multiple roles as needed in the match.

WipWapJaws #8 Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:03 AM

Clanless Scrub

• Players
  • 33034 battles
  • [WKD]
I would go the T54ltw, just because it is the most flexible.  It can fill multiple roles as needed in the match.

Bronyman50 #9 Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:19 PM

Offical Horse Guy (Platinum Legacy Forum Title Holder)

• Players
  • 22655 battles
  • [FLEET]
I say the best light tank for comp right now is the T49 because of its HE versatility in most situations. For medium tank situations I would recommend between a AMX 50 100 and a Super Phersing, the Super Phersing is a surprisingly viable pick since the AP buff making it a mix of a Mod 1 and a Centurion

"The Mountain Goat Strikes Again" -Anonymous (Ingame)

I Swear It's Like A Potato Farm With The Current Playerbase

Bronyman50 A.K.A TheOriginalHorseGuy

Sharpe40475 #10 Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:05 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 26358 battles
  • [SPUDX]

Sooooo many variables. Opposition make up, green team make up, map selection, personal abilities, individual play styles etc.

My advice would be for be more for the average due out there........ pick the tank you perform best in or one of the tanks that are considered overpowered for its tier.

IF you perform really well in the T49 AND it's considered OP for that tier, I'd use it.

However, it that T49 doesn't suit your play style, it certainly won't be overpowered in your hands. 

Me personally, I seem to perform a bit better in meds than lights and I like mobile heavies. (I'm sure better players could tell me just why that is) so when choosing a tank for a tourney, I usually choose my t34-85 at their 6 or my IS5 or t44 at tier 8

I have the t54 ltwt, but haven't played it enough to feel confident in it

Inspiration for WriterDude's forum Signature is my single greatest accomplishment since starting to play Blitz! 

wannabeunicum #11 Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:15 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 23232 battles
  • [-AFK-]

I use the ru251 . It really does get the caps neccesary imo. However i prefer the ru251 for 1 major reason that actually sets it apart from tier eight mediums.

DPM. it outshines every other tier eight medium in that aspect. Along with regular dpm it also has a special HE that has high penetration so even more dpm.

t49 imo is not a tank for clan wars. RN clan wars is literally 4-5 is tanks 1 mod one or t44 clone and one light tank.you are screwed against IS tanks because there is no where besids the rear you can pen them.(actually a slight very thin area between tracks and spaced armor but too tiny for t49)

UniqueImpact #12 Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:12 PM

still not enough battles for a custom forum title

• Players
  • 9502 battles
  • [_V_]

Each have their own role and can be used in most situations. Pick the tank you think you will be most comfortable with and get it. As a bonus all 3 are really fun in pub matches as well.

Edit: Don't forget that the RU 251 gets HEP ammo (HE with 108mm of pen), so thats a thing... 

Edited by POL4R, 31 July 2017 - 04:18 PM.

WN8 - 2700 | DMG Ratio - 2.00 | Survival - 52%

What's Poppin' B MUSIC For Gaming

Alpha998 #13 Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 20377 battles
  • [501DV]
I must compliment all who posted here. Great info and very great assessment of each tank. Each tank being successful is maybe more up to the player, and map he is on. I have heard a lot say the RU has lost some bite, and is even not effective anymore. But I strongly disagree. As said earlier, The T54light has the best armor, it's a beast for a light. The advantages of the RU over the T54light is it's gun depression, which on most maps is of great benefit for spotting, and keeping a low profile to avoid being hit. It helps it be even more elusive. And that DPM is just wicked, even with heat. It has better pen, and it's HE pen is a very potent weapon if the driver knows how and when to use it.

limjonag #14 Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:44 PM

• Players
  • 12826 battles
  • [MBTS]

I just checked Tank Compare and the RU 251 has the most DPM of the 3, in addition to having 10 degrees of gun depression. I'm leaning towards this tank now. 

The T49 seems to be one tank that gets reds concerned when it gets behind and may be good for this purpose of causing reds to change directions. 

The T-54 ltwt would have the most similar playstyle as a medium tank but with more speed. Not a surprise it has come from behind (pun) on this poll. 

Edited by limjonag, 31 July 2017 - 05:45 PM.

Player_5773117413 #15 Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:05 PM

Professional Tinfoil Hatter

• Players
  • 25532 battles
  • [IRD]
German 90mm armed bulldog still hasn't come to the premium shop yet but it's in the files. Perhaps it could be the fourth contender here? It looks like it'll have good gun handling and far better gun depression than either the ru or t54 light.

Finished...a buncha Tier 10s. Effff it, I only got 10 fingers. Lost count after that...there's only a few missing

Just another demo account, nothing to see here

Done Posting. Must preserve post count. Sorry guys :\

Joining Stealy in the ex-forumer club     Nvrmnd, Going for 7,777!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users