T25 AT How on EARTH do you play this thing?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

outersketcher #1 Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:44 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 13483 battles

I thought I was ok.. not fantastic.. but ok in my TDs. But, I really struggle in the T25 AT. 

I look at the tank averages for the top players... 

https://wotbstars.co...ank=9249&geo=NA

How? How are these guys getting such numbers on this TD?

You might as well go ahead and look at my own stats on it.. and when you're done laughing...  gimme some ideas, okay?

https://wotbstars.co...?lng=eng&geo=NA

What I thought I knew about turretless TDs in general.. tho at this point, my faith in my TD skills has been shaken...

1) Most of them work best when kept hidden. Ignore the frantic cries from your team mates to come out and fight (and die) on the front lines. Instead, do your best to distract, and destroy from hidden spots.

2) Keep the TD about 15 feet behind any soft cover when firing your gun, so that the brush in front of you is opaque. Only roll forward to spot, then roll back to fire your gun so as to keep the bloom from your weapon from revealing yourself to the reds.

3) "Camping".. or in other words.. choosing one spot and sitting there throughout the battle is usually NOT a good idea. Sniping from one spot, then moving to another well hidden spot, and so on...  IS usually a much better way to play.

4) Don't try to chase, and don't try to brawl in a turretless TD. Odds are against your survival. 

5) Watch the map. And be aware of where your teammates are, and where your enemies are. Don't let yourself get left behind. And don't let the reds send a couple of lights to take you out. 

5) If you DO find yourself facing a pair of lights charging toward you to COD you. The best tactic to survive as long as you can is to back up. Slap your butt to some hard cover, but leave yourself enough room to traverse on your treads. Pick the weakest tank and work on it, ignore the other.. you cant fight both, so don't try. 

And yet.. despite all I "thought" I knew about how to drive and play a turretless TD.. I'm sucking the ever-loving linoleum in the T25 AT. 

What.... am I doing wrong?

Edit: The wotbstars site is now defunct. So, here are links to the wotblitzstars version.

Edited by outersketcher, 27 November 2017 - 07:13 PM.

I try to follow the wise teachings of Mr Miyagi.  "Best defense, no be there."

...don't get hit... don't get hit... don't get hit... OWWW you %$#$!... don't get hit... don't get hit... don't get hit...

outersketcher #2 Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:50 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 13483 battles

ohh.. also.. I get spotted (and quickly killed) a lot more often now in my TDs these days. I really miss my binocs. I am aware that there is a whole new dynamic now in using a TD. We can no longer shoot across a map at distant reds.

We are forced to get closer to the battle. And take more risks in being seen. If we want to keep the reds lit up to shoot at.

...don't get hit... don't get hit... don't get hit... OWWW you %$#$!... don't get hit... don't get hit... don't get hit...

Brundog #3 Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:50 PM

Woof Woof

• Players
  • 46207 battles
A lot of the people on that list have probably not played the tank in 2 or 3 years - game has changed a lot since then.  I am at 23 and I know I haven't touched it in a LONG time.

outersketcher #4 Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 13483 battles

Thats a good point Brundog. I'll bet the T25 AT was fun to play when you could camp on a distant corner of a map. Now, with no binocs.. you have to depend on your teamates to keep the reds lit..or.. you have to get in there yourself and spot the reds for yourself.

Not an ideal tactic for a turretless TD.

They did buff the T25 armor tho didnt they?

Edited by outersketcher, 15 August 2017 - 06:59 PM.

Posit1ve_ #5 Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:04 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 79726 battles
  • [_N_]

Let's review your points:

1 is mostly true

2  whilst true, is also kind of a hassle. Sometimes, by the time you roll back to take your shot, the enemy may have disappeared into cover. It's easier to just sit in the bush, take the shot, then take cover in most instances.

3 Depends on the TD. In some TDs such as the RHM which have excellent alpha for their tier, you only need to hit a few shots to have a major impact on the game, so sitting in the same spot is perfectly acceptable. However, given the buffed state of the T25AT, it would make more sense to play it aggressively

4, Nah... It works perfectly fine, especially in quick well armored TDs like the T25AT and the top tier French ones

5 Yah, that's right

For the T25AT, I'd also add that given the 10 degrees of gun depression and solid sloped 120mm of armor, it can also play hull down quite well. Also, good camo rating lets it snipe from afar as well, so it's good for sniping early game, then it can move in later and abuse the gun depression and armor

336 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

Posit1ve_ #6 Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:07 PM

Credits Master

• Players
  • 79726 battles
  • [_N_]

View Postoutersketcher, on 15 August 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

Thats a good point Brundog. I'll bet the T25 AT was fun to play when you could camp on a distant corner of a map. Now, with no binocs.. you have to depend on your teamates to keep the reds lit..or.. you have to get in there yourself and spot the reds for yourself.

Not an ideal tactic for a turretless TD.

They did buff the T25 armor tho didnt they?

I didn't run binocs on 25AT when I was grinding it. Binocs aren't actually that much of a necessitiy for sniping. Heck, my loadout was Vents/Rammer/GLD. I didn't even bother with view range equipment. You can still camp in a distant corner of the map just fine. For post 3.8 equipment, I'd choose camo net over optics. Teammates are usually pretty good for spotting, so if you pick a spot that supports them you'll be just fine

336 tanks in the garage!

Your local friendly credits guru: http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1  (Most upvoted post on the forums!!!!)

Certified Batignolles Chatillon 25t addict

Bullveigh25 #7 Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:18 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 45987 battles
  • [-CFE-]
i used my t25at as a ridge shooter when its low tier and an in your face bully when its high tier.  using the diamond shape can make alot of bounces off your face. mobility, gun depression and strong angling will make it work

Edited by Bullveigh25, 15 August 2017 - 07:21 PM.

doonglerules #8 Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26630 battles
  • [FOE]

Turretless TD's had to eat a lot of sh*t when WoT went mobile and cut map sizes in half.

Just find a spot and hope they dont spot you

TitaniumRadon #9 Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:05 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11516 battles
  • [COD-S]
Dude if I can get over 50% win rate on my St.Emil it means anyone can get 50%+ win rate on any TD.Seriously I'm not that good but I shocked myself.

TitaniumRadon #10 Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:10 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11516 battles
  • [COD-S]
You should also go up on YouTube and find sniping/camping spots for all the in-game maps.I'm really good in TD's because I know like every sniping spot on each map, all I do is light up the reds from a far and safe location, and I just love to watch them try to look for me, it's so funny, try it.

_____Tempest #11 Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:11 PM

⚔️Fallen Guardian⚔️

• Players
  • 35708 battles
  • [MAHOU]
I played mine very aggressively. With the buffed frontal armour, it can bounce shots from those who can't penetrate u, so go after those people. It's fast enough to keep up with meds and has enough traverse to stop most flankers from being successful. 

“One day you will leave this world behind, so live a life you will remember” ~Avicii~

TitaniumRadon #12 Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:19 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11516 battles
  • [COD-S]

View Postwoof_defender, on 15 August 2017 - 09:11 PM, said:

I played mine very aggressively. With the buffed frontal armour, it can bounce shots from those who can't penetrate u, so go after those people. It's fast enough to keep up with meds and has enough traverse to stop most flankers from being successful. 

My St.Emil can penetrate the T25 AT anyway, I'm shocked with most tanks I can penetrate.

outersketcher #13 Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:02 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 13483 battles
Heh.. this is interesting. Im getting advice that range wildly from one end to the other of the TD spectrum. What that tells me, maybe, is that perhaps this is an ideally adaptive TD? Able to serve the play styles of many different types of driver? 

Edited by outersketcher, 15 August 2017 - 11:33 PM.

outersketcher #14 Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:02 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 13483 battles

Alright. I drove that T25AT for a steady 23 battles tonight. And, it appears your advice helped! Thank you!

I went from a 21% wr, to 39% wr in one evening.

Of the 23 battles fought, 18 were supremacy, and in 21 of them.. I was low tier.

Didn't seem to matter. The vehicle.. "feels" different now.

outersketcher #15 Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:45 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 13483 battles

Update.. 

It's been about three days since I first posted my cry for help on this vehical. And you all sallied forth with good advice. I took it to heart and went to work.

I'd like to say that I went from hating the T25 AT... to now having become rather fond of it. 

This and the e25 are now my favorite TDs to play. The T25 is fast. And quick to traverse.. nice. 

I'm enjoying the play now.

outersketcher #16 Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:28 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 13483 battles

I wanted to post an update. A validation of the effects of your collective advice if you will.

The T25 AT has become one of my favorite to play TDs. As I've mentioned before, I've managed to increase my WR as well as my other stats on the very machine that I once floundered about helplessly with in battle. 

What helped me most, I think, was simply relaxing.. and adapting my play-style to take advantage of the particular advantages of this TD. For instance.. Nowadays, I choose to play the T25 AT in a much more aggressive way then I would in other TD. 

My play-style is thus...

At the beginning of the battle. I wait for a moment to get a good sense of what kind of team I have and where they will most likely engage the reds on the map. Then I head to a place that I believe will be most effective. 

I stay close to the team. I do NOT camp. (for the record, I have no problem with TDs camping. I consider it an effective and useful tactic when performed by a resourceful tanker.)

But I play the T25 AT as more of a mobile backup unit.. I stay with the team as it moves. Hanging to the rear end, and taking advantage of every shooting opportunity as they appear.

However, I now feel comfortable enough in the T25 AT, that I will take point and freakn SPOT for my team if they are still milling around. This machine can do that. It's quick enough that I can pop over a ridge, spot some targets. Drop back down and position myself to help out as my team surges forward to engage the reds I lit up.

As the battle progresses... I keep an eye on my team mates and will often head out and confront an attacking red to help out a beleaguered team mate. I've done this many times now and its great fun. I love to come tumbling over a hill to ram into a red whos' trying to COD a heavy team mate. Fire into his side and then get up in his face, and fire into him again. Giving my team mate time to recover and join in the fight. This past weekend, I did just that to help out a team mate.. and faced a full health, T29 with my little T25 AT... In a straight up, full front-on brawl. I was wriggling and shooting and counting the time in between shots. 

I won that brawl. And my team and I went on to win that battle as well. The only other TD I would attempt such cheekiness in is my e25.

At this time in any battle. If we are winning, I am usually driving around with my team.. on the hunt for the stragglers and strays of the red team. And if I am outnumbered. I am STILL driving around the map.. seeking out single tanks to take down as many as I can before they get me.

My stats are still poor "on paper". I have a lot of poorly played battles to overcome. But, I can now say that if you see me on your team in this little TD. You can rely on me to carry my fair share to help our team win.

I have ground my way onto the T28 now. But I still play this TD out of sheer pleasure. My next goal is to ace this little machine. I believe I will.

I give full credit to the complete "about-face" I have made in this T25 AT, to the advice and tips I received from the members of this forum.

Thank you.

Edited by outersketcher, 27 November 2017 - 06:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users