Pay-to-Win

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

BobboEvans #1 Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:24 PM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 42223 battles

Pay-to-Win

I’ve been pretty vocal about the Pay-to-Win features in Blitz.  Every time I make that claim, there’s a chorus of naysayers suggesting the game is just Pay-to-Advance Faster.  Well… here’s a case study in Pay-to-Win using my Type 61 grind where I ground out all the modules and started with 75% crew.

Before we get into my case study, let’s start with the cries from the ‘Advance Faster’ crowd.  I could absolutely have gotten the Free XP by grinding it with another tank.  So, let’s look at my Go-To grinding tank… the IS-3D and the number of games and amount of time it would take for the Type 61:

• Avg XP per Game:  660
  • Avg Free XP per Game (5%):  33
  • XP Required for all Type 61 Modules:  ~161,000 (31k ea for tracks, engine, and turret + 68k for gun)
  • Number of IS-3D Games to Earn 161k Free XP:  4,879
  • My average time per game:  3.2 minutes
  • Total time to grind 161k Free XP:  260 hours (10.8 days) of straight play.

So… 4900 games and 11 straight days (not including the queue time) for each Tier 9 tank.  No wonder the geniuses who think Blitz is ‘Pay-to-Advance Faster’ actually pay to advance faster.  So let’s take a look at the cost to advance this ONE Tier 9 Tank faster:

• Conversion Cost XP to Free XP:  25 for 1 Gold
  • Gold for 161k Free XP:  6,440 Gold
  • Cost in Store for 6440 Gold:  ~$22.  Of course the true wallet warrior will buy in bulk and get it down to ~$18.
  • UH OH… this doesn’t include the additional 850 Gold for 100% crew:  $2-3

If you want to ‘Pay-to-Advance Faster’ or ‘Pay-to-Win’ on every one of the 23 x Tier 9 tanks, that will set you back about $460.

Now, let’s get into the ‘Win’ in ‘Pay-to-Win’.  Back to my Type 61:

202 Games:  That’s what it took me to mount the final module (the gun).

297 Games:  That’s what it took me to get the crew from 75% to 100%.

Stats after 297 Games:

• Win Rate:  50.84%
  • Damage:  1336 per game.

My stats since fully upgraded (175 games):

• Win Rate:  56%
  • Damage:  1813 per game.

Here’s what I lost by not ‘Paying-to-Win’:

• 15 games I would have won in the 1st 297 games.
  • 477 damage EVERY GAME.

You’re right…I should have played for 11 days straight to get the Free XP to ‘Advance Faster’.  The crew would have still taken about 280 games, though….  Wonder how many wins that $2-3 buys?  Maybe I'll invest $20-25 on my next Tier 9 module upgrades to answer that question.

Here's the final impact of 'pay-to-win'.

Total games: 616
Final Win Rate: 53.08
Final Avg Damage: 1612

Here's my stats from the time upgraded to the end:
Total games: 319
Win Rate Upgraded: 55.17%
Avg Damage Upgraded: 1869 per game.

So... the end impact is 2.09% on my win rate and 257 on my avg damage stats by going the 'free' route. If I payed the ~$23, I would have bought 13 wins and 158,291 damage over my first 297 games.

Edited by BobboEvans, 03 October 2017 - 07:02 PM.

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

Ole_sniper #2 Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:42 PM

Where's The Lamb Sauce, Sosig?

• Players
  • 15850 battles
  • [SPUD]

It's time vs. money.

You choose to pay or grind. This is WG's bread and butter from veteran players who don't need/want premium tanks anymore. They force you to play either a crappy high tier tank or to pay for upgrades and crew.

And I do agree;this game has always been pay-to-win to some extent, and nearly every game is.

Edited by Ole_sniper, 01 October 2017 - 09:43 PM.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe- Albert Einstein

[SPUD] Campers N' Taters

dindincf #3 Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:52 PM

Potato Rights Activist

• Players
  • 25790 battles
  • [CLEAR]

View PostBobboEvans, on 01 October 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

Pay-to-Win

I’ve been pretty vocal about the Pay-to-Win features in Blitz.  Every time I make that claim, there’s a chorus of naysayers suggesting the game is just Pay-to-Advance Faster.  Well… here’s a case study in Pay-to-Win using my Type 61 grind where I ground out all the modules and started with 75% crew.

Before we get into my case study, let’s start with the cries from the ‘Advance Faster’ crowd.  I could absolutely have gotten the Free XP by grinding it with another tank.  So, let’s look at my Go-To grinding tank… the IS-3D and the number of games and amount of time it would take for the Type 61:

• Avg XP per Game:  660
  • Avg Free XP per Game (5%):  33
  • XP Required for all Type 61 Modules:  ~161,000 (31k ea for tracks, engine, and turret + 68k for gun)
  • Number of IS-3D Games to Earn 161k Free XP:  4,879
  • My average time per game:  3.2 minutes
  • Total time to grind 161k Free XP:  260 hours (10.8 days) of straight play.

So… 4900 games and 11 straight days (not including the queue time) for each Tier 9 tank.  No wonder the geniuses who think Blitz is ‘Pay-to-Advance Faster’ actually pay to advance faster.  So let’s take a look at the cost to advance this ONE Tier 9 Tank faster:

• Conversion Cost XP to Free XP:  25 for 1 Gold
  • Gold for 161k Free XP:  6,440 Gold
  • Cost in Store for 6440 Gold:  ~$22.  Of course the true wallet warrior will buy in bulk and get it down to ~$18.
  • UH OH… this doesn’t include the additional 850 Gold for 100% crew:  $2-3

If you want to ‘Pay-to-Advance Faster’ or ‘Pay-to-Win’ on every one of the 23 x Tier 9 tanks, that will set you back about $460.

Now, let’s get into the ‘Win’ in ‘Pay-to-Win’.  Back to my Type 61:

Stats after 297 Games:

Here’s what I lost by not ‘Paying-to-Win’:

• 15 games I would have won in the 1st 297 games.
  • 477 damage EVERY GAME.

You’re right…I should have played for 11 days straight to get the Free XP to ‘Advance Faster’.  The crew would have still taken about 280 games, though….  Wonder how many wins that $2-3 buys?  Maybe I'll invest $20-25 on my next Tier 9 module upgrades to answer that question.

If you play tier 10 you can earn way more free XP but the repair costs are a lot more.  The IS3d wouldn't be your best use for free xp grinding.  

What I see here is someone who wants to grind through the line quickly.  If you were in no rush you could hit the x2s with free boosters to maximize module and crew xp.  This is how I am playing he tiger 2 and cent 1.  When you aren't in a hurry this game is not very expensive.

https://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/dindincf                                            

#bringtankboomback

Tier X's: Leopard 1 / T110E4 /  T110E5 /  M48A1 Patton / Object 263 / IS-7 / Object 140 / T-62A / JPE-100 / AMX 50B

“At the moment, you should forget about the M60.”        -ZIoydd, on 01 August 2017 - 06:01 AM

Mullet_cat #4 Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:07 PM

HEAT magnet

• Players
  • 12683 battles
  • [CLE4R]
Don't suck and play a stock tank?

360TrickShotter #5 Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:10 PM

Mightier Than Jingles

• Players
  • 18754 battles
  • [KR0N0]

View PostBobboEvans, on 01 October 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

Number of IS-3D Games to Earn 161k Free XP:  4,879

I'm here with the popcorn.

VonMiller58 #6 Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:30 PM

Chicken Farmer

• Players
  • 33243 battles
  • [JFGF]

interesting

doesn't even factor equipment

my meds need equipment to compete with the juiced up heavies

o...:...:I:...:...o

CK_GoldenNuggets #7 Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:43 PM

Official Tournament Trainer

• Players
  • 31163 battles
  • [GLXY]
While your argument is pretty nice and a little amusing. As a fairly free to play player... I only purchase premium tanks since its a hobby of mine. I simply collect all the tanks in this game. I never buy premium time or convert gold to free Exp. (With this 1 time Christmas bonus exception). So my counter argument is that you may be losing that 470 damage per game if you had just "Payed - to - win" but the reality is that after everythings said and done. If you are a 51% player, and a comparing your skill to a 50% player. After a certain number of games your stats will supercede his. Its just pay 2 Advance stats for the first couple hundred games. Then everything will plateau out.

Certainly being maxed first will mean he will be doing better than you in the beginning since his tank is clearly better than yours at that point, but it doesnt make him more skilled at the game in any way. At one point or another, if you have a higher winrate your stats will pass his. The point being, the only thing Paying2Progress does is help "Stat Padders" have nice early stats so its less difficult to farm and cultivate their long term stats. If thats what you are looking for then, congrats. Its "Pay2Win" but in reality, anything you can buy in this game can be earned regularity just with more effort and time. If you dont have the time thats disappointing but its no excuse to go calling the game Pay2Win. That function simply exists so WG can make their revenue and people with literally 0 patience can get to the more "fun" tanks a lot quicker.

"Level of Unicums" - Zennosha:

http://forum.wotblit...__fromsearch__1

BobboEvans #8 Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:42 AM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 42223 battles

View Postdindincf, on 01 October 2017 - 09:52 PM, said:

If you play tier 10 you can earn way more free XP but the repair costs are a lot more.  The IS3d wouldn't be your best use for free xp grinding.  

What I see here is someone who wants to grind through the line quickly.  If you were in no rush you could hit the x2s with free boosters to maximize module and crew xp.  This is how I am playing he tiger 2 and cent 1.  When you aren't in a hurry this game is not very expensive.

I'm going to ask you a question.  Answer it honestly... Do you pay to upgrade your tanks?

Lets take your comments one by one.  Tier 10?  Actually, my best ever age XP is the M46 with would reduce the number of games for the free XP to 4000 and 9 days straight of play.  Now... You are correct.  I could use the x2's to my advantage.  Realistically, that might reduce the games but it would GREATLY increase the time.  Sure... You can do your garage, but I don't have a huge garage (remember... I'm a free-ish player).  So, I will concede that it will help, but it won't come close to making it a viable way to grind a tank.

what you see is someone whi grinds too quickly?  I'm 500 games into the Type 61 and still have a way to go before I get to the STB.  How is that 'quick'!?????  Your x2 comment is indeed true.  Remember, those who play free don't have big garages so we don't have many x2's.  You're proposing to reduce the number of games but GREATLY increase the amount of time.  I'd like to grind through a few more lines before I die of old age.  Remember, this is just to grind ONE tier 9 tank.

Exactly how much patience do you gave?  You must not care about spare parts changes because they shouldn't be an issue for someone with your patience.

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

BobboEvans #9 Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:11 AM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 42223 battles

View PostMullet_cat, on 01 October 2017 - 10:07 PM, said:

Don't suck and play a stock tank?

Lol.  Are you suggesting I suck?  While I'm not the best player in the game, I do have a huge skill advantage over the average player.  If you believe wotbstars.com, I'm better than 90%.  That further strengthens my argument.  The average player would be worse off that I am when it comes to the grind....

Sorry.  I will grind my tanks from stock because I choose not to spend thousands on this game.  I support WG (they have a good product) but very selectively.

View PostVonMiller58, on 01 October 2017 - 10:30 PM, said:

interesting

doesn't even factor equipment

my meds need equipment to compete with the juiced up heavies

I don't equip most tanks.  I did equip the level 1 equipment on the Type 61 for credits.  I do OK without it.

View PostCK_GoldenNuggets, on 01 October 2017 - 10:43 PM, said:

While your argument is pretty nice and a little amusing. As a fairly free to play player... I only purchase premium tanks since its a hobby of mine. I simply collect all the tanks in this game. I never buy premium time or convert gold to free Exp. (With this 1 time Christmas bonus exception). So my counter argument is that you may be losing that 470 damage per game if you had just "Payed - to - win" but the reality is that after everythings said and done. If you are a 51% player, and a comparing your skill to a 50% player. After a certain number of games your stats will supercede his. Its just pay 2 Advance stats for the first couple hundred games. Then everything will plateau out.

Certainly being maxed first will mean he will be doing better than you in the beginning since his tank is clearly better than yours at that point, but it doesnt make him more skilled at the game in any way. At one point or another, if you have a higher winrate your stats will pass his. The point being, the only thing Paying2Progress does is help "Stat Padders" have nice early stats so its less difficult to farm and cultivate their long term stats. If thats what you are looking for then, congrats. Its "Pay2Win" but in reality, anything you can buy in this game can be earned regularity just with more effort and time. If you dont have the time thats disappointing but its no excuse to go calling the game Pay2Win. That function simply exists so WG can make their revenue and people with literally 0 patience can get to the more "fun" tanks a lot quicker.

Amusing?  OK.  You get condescending.  I'll stick to arguing facts.

Yes.  Time can solve the stats issue.  You are correct.  However, knowing my stats after 297 games and then for the next 175 games.  How many games before my 297 games of suck become irrelevant?  For giggles, you do the math on how many games I have to play at 56% win rate and 1800 damage before my overall stats are within 0.5% of 56% and 50 avg damage of 1813?  When you calculate that, let me know if playing that many games in the Type 61 is worth it....

When did I ever say anything about comparing my stats to anyone else?  Yes... My skill is my skill and whether I drive a stock tank or an upgraded tank that doesn't change MY skill but it sure changes the first thing YOU will look at to judge my skill.

My point is, the time required to do what a paying player does is not realistic.  Let me guess... You don't grind your tanks completely from stock....  don’t answer.  I looked at how many games you have in each tank.... you don’t.

Edited by BobboEvans, 02 October 2017 - 01:18 AM.

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

Spekulatius #10 Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:11 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 32625 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostBobboEvans, on 01 October 2017 - 08:11 PM, said:

Lol.  Are you suggesting I suck?  While I'm not the best player in the game, I do have a huge skill advantage over the average player.  If you believe wotbstars.com, I'm better than 90%.  That further strengthens my argument.  The average player would be worse off that I am when it comes to the grind....

Sorry.  I will grind my tanks from stock because I choose not to spend thousands on this game.  I support WG (they have a good product) but very selectively.

I don't equip most tanks.  I did equip the level 1 equipment on the Type 61 for credits.  I do OK without it.

Amusing?  OK.  You get condescending.  I'll stick to arguing facts.

Yes.  Time can solve the stats issue.  You are correct.  However, knowing my stats after 297 games and then for the next 175 games.  How many games before my 297 games of suck become irrelevant?  For giggles, you do the math on how many games I have to play at 56% win rate and 1800 damage before my overall stats are within 0.5% of 56% and 50 avg damage of 1813?  When you calculate that, let me know if playing that many games in the Type 61 is worth it....

When did I ever say anything about comparing my stats to anyone else?  Yes... My skill is my skill and whether I drive a stock tank or an upgraded tank that doesn't change MY skill but it sure changes the first thing YOU will look at to judge my skill.

My point is, the time required to do what a paying player does is not realistic.  Let me guess... You don't grind your tanks completely from stock....  don’t answer.  I looked at how many games you have in each tank.... you don’t.

Well, if you are extremely concerned bout your stats you should only drive fully upgraded tanks and you have to pay to do so. But a lot of this depends on how many lines you grind and how fast you want to do it. I do the slow grind and typically only play stock tanks for multipliers. It is not unusually for me to have a 40% WR in a grind tank, before the tank is fully upgraded So what? You use multipliers and booster and every once in a while the free XP earned in the game to get a critical module faster. The grind takes a while, but it they also should not damage your overall WR too much, unless you are grinding several tanks at the same time this way.

I have yet to spent a single dime to convert earned XP into free XP.

Edited by Spekulatius, 02 October 2017 - 03:13 AM.

Community pledge signer

minitel_NA #11 Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:23 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

These are great solid numbers. 

Its a case study, not a player base wide or tier wide stat analysis, , but it does represent something very common, in line with what happens in my grinds.

however OP fails to show how this is pay to win.

Yes by paying you avoid losing a few games. But that’s   comparing your wins with modules, vs your wins without modules. Not comparing or winning over another player, just statistically.

After all, It’s an obvious thing to say you  will tend to lose more with a stock tank.

but it doesn’t show how by paying you can beat the next guy in a game.

It’s just comparing a same player stats against himself when he pays. 

So overall I would say the game looks more like, pay for stats, where you pay to get your profile look better. It makes the grind games disappear (plus it’s much more fun).

for info, i grind most tanks for free, except half of top module in tier9 and gold crew in tier10.

I have decided last week that from now on to also pay for tier9 modules and crew  as the time I wasted in spanking punishment games is not worth it versus the amount of money it costs. I regret not having spent the money onnfun tanks like leopard and E75 or T95 (especially that one was nerfed just as I finished the grind).

also I am still trying to find where to spend money in the game. I don’t need anything that they sell anymore, so I guess the only remaining thing is spending on crew and modules.

interestingly enough I am still not done grinding the type 61 which is my latest tier9.

Edited by minitel_NA, 02 October 2017 - 06:39 AM.

Minitelrose visiting from EU, occasional player/forumer in the NA

j0nn0 #12 Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:08 AM

F2P Skrub

• Players
  • 19810 battles
  • [XREGS]

View PostSpekulatius, on 01 October 2017 - 07:11 PM, said:

Well, if you are extremely concerned bout your stats you should only drive fully upgraded tanks and you have to pay to do so. But a lot of this depends on how many lines you grind and how fast you want to do it. I do the slow grind and typically only play stock tanks for multipliers. It is not unusually for me to have a 40% WR in a grind tank, before the tank is fully upgraded So what? You use multipliers and booster and every once in a while the free XP earned in the game to get a critical module faster. The grind takes a while, but it they also should not damage your overall WR too much, unless you are grinding several tanks at the same time this way.

I have yet to spent a single dime to convert earned XP into free XP.

This is pretty much my methodology. Then again, I'm a 100% F2P scrub with over 100 tanks in my garage at this point so I'm sorta an outlier. (89 tech & 22 premium, of which, 23 are on grind phases even if I only play a couple regularly.) I'm going nowhere fast, but then again, I've reached the point where resources other than gold, SP, and free exp mean little to me. If I ever need credits, I simply pop a certificate and grind my helsing, is-5, or other premium I like. Gold income took a hit when we got chests (vid ads were 30g/day, chests draw less than 100g/week and missions don't help any). SP farming is relatively easy to solve with time, ranked games, and kill stealing. Free exp comes in trickles but if I just keep grinding, I'll eventually have enough pooled from my other tanks to get a jump start on a new grind. Rinse and repeat, the process keeps on cycling.

I may have a few too many tanks. I think I was over 150 in garage by last count.

BobboEvans #13 Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:41 PM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 42223 battles

View Postminitel_NA, on 02 October 2017 - 06:23 AM, said:

1) however OP fails to show how this is pay to win.

Yes by paying you avoid losing a few games...

2) It’s just comparing a same player stats against himself when he pays. 

So overall I would say the game looks more like, pay for stats...

3) interestingly enough I am still not done grinding the type 61 which is my latest tier9.

1) I might be threading hairs... but I would call paying to not lose as much... paying to win more.  This... pay-to-win.  Plus you go on to talk about making the decision to avoid the painful punishment of the tier 9 grind.  There's only one true punishment and that's losing.  So you're actually saying you're going to pay to win. 

2) Yes.  You have to compare to yourself.  I'm absolutely not suggesting that if I payed to upgrade I would suddenly become a PRAMO candidate.  My point is that for ME, I could 'buy' wins by paying to upgrade compared to suffering the grind.  And yes.  It is pay for stats.  Win rate is the primary stat which requires wins that can be paid for...

3) I truly like this tank although there are many frustrations.  I can go 10 games straight without a game under 2500 damage and most over 3k.  Then I go 10 games where I can't hit anything and I struggle with 1500.  It's teaching me a lot more patience and positioning, though.  Good luck!

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

cheasesteak #14 Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:02 PM

Lackey to the Barons of Entrenched Corporate Greed

• Players
  • 22284 battles
  • [COD-R]

Paying to bypass stock crew and tank grinds brings a slightly increased WR.  How much depends on how you grind.  It won't make a bad player good, but might be worth a percent or two on WR. 

I don't see this as terribly controversial.  WG needs to make money some how. 

Epstein didn’t kill himself

cheasesteak #15 Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

Lackey to the Barons of Entrenched Corporate Greed

• Players
  • 22284 battles
  • [COD-R]

View Postj0nn0, on 02 October 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

Gold income took a hit when we got chests (vid ads were 30g/day,

Does anyone know what criteria for getting the videos was?  I never had the option.  Don't care that much, just curious.

Epstein didn’t kill himself

j0nn0 #16 Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

F2P Skrub

• Players
  • 19810 battles
  • [XREGS]

View Postcheasesteak, on 02 October 2017 - 06:04 AM, said:

Does anyone know what criteria for getting the videos was?  I never had the option.  Don't care that much, just curious.

never having spent a cent. You buy anything, you don't get videos any more.

I may have a few too many tanks. I think I was over 150 in garage by last count.

BobboEvans #17 Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

The Society is Real

• Players
  • 42223 battles

View Postcheasesteak, on 02 October 2017 - 02:02 PM, said:

Paying to bypass stock crew and tank grinds brings a slightly increased WR.  How much depends on how you grind.  It won't make a bad player good, but might be worth a percent or two on WR. 

I don't see this as terribly controversial.  WG needs to make money some how. 

For me, it was 5% win rate and 477 avg DPG as I noted in the OP.  That's fact and not a guess.  I would characterize that as a 'significant' increase... not 'slight'.  As to whether it's controversial... I never said it was controversial.  It's interesting to me how anxious people get when I suggest the game has pay-to-win features.  If paying gave a player NO measurable benefit... they wouldn't pay!  Kinda obvious to me...

Just say 'NO' to Vanity

minitel_NA #18 Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View PostBobboEvans, on 02 October 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

1) I might be threading hairs... but I would call paying to not lose as much... paying to win more.  This... pay-to-win.  Plus you go on to talk about making the decision to avoid the painful punishment of the tier 9 grind.  There's only one true punishment and that's losing.  So you're actually saying you're going to pay to win. 

2) Yes.  You have to compare to yourself.  I'm absolutely not suggesting that if I payed to upgrade I would suddenly become a PRAMO candidate.  My point is that for ME, I could 'buy' wins by paying to upgrade compared to suffering the grind.  And yes.  It is pay for stats.  Win rate is the primary stat which requires wins that can be paid for...

3) I truly like this tank although there are many frustrations.  I can go 10 games straight without a game under 2500 damage and most over 3k.  Then I go 10 games where I can't hit anything and I struggle with 1500.  It's teaching me a lot more patience and positioning, though.  Good luck!

I really guess we are calling the same cat under different names...

About 1) I figured after three years of  playing  slow and blind tanks, seeing my shots flying to the sky when the opponent brutalizes me in the face, and other things coming  naturally  with the 75% package and the honnest modules, aren’t worth of my time anymore.

it’s a game and I don’t care much about losing, but I want to have a good fight before.

also, my recent grind E75 was 36% winrate at around 70 games and I decided that was enough. I didn’t spend any money on it, ended up getting the top gun for free xp, and it’s now at 56%.  but see, I like this number to be over 60. the idea that I just spent 150  games with an arm behind my back, just to have to play another 300 games correcting diluting previous numbers,  comes out as repetitive and painful, not fun play anymore. Each sees different sides of this game, with different goals, and it makes the game great. Not so long ago, in my own view, that tier9 grind was part of playing. Not anymore.

so I decided recently that I regret having been so stuck up about money and principles for so long. I have been looking for some fun purchase in game for a full year now, and I couldn’t find anything else than ugly camos.  instead of playing the number of games amounting to the frustrating (punishment grind + stats reparation), I will now directly pay for the well rounded tanky that is free otherwise, and will indulge myself for  just as many games as the tank fun factor requires (or not).

#evolutionofaplayersmind.

minitel_NA #19 Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:23 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 454 battles
  • [EUREF]

View PostBobboEvans, on 02 October 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

For me, it was 5% win rate and 477 avg DPG as I noted in the OP.  That's fact and not a guess.  I would characterize that as a 'significant' increase... not 'slight'.  As to whether it's controversial... I never said it was controversial.  It's interesting to me how anxious people get when I suggest the game has pay-to-win features.  If paying gave a player NO measurable benefit... they wouldn't pay!  Kinda obvious to me...

then in that view I guess the benefit is not that I win. 

It’s that I spend less time grinding and struggling.

Fighting with my anckles in concrete and my knuckles bare.

Something that I used to like about this game, but that I will spare myself from now on.

It’s really about time and fun. Not about an individual game outcome,

which is what I call “pay to win”.

Edited by minitel_NA, 02 October 2017 - 02:23 PM.

Wombeer #20 Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:24 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 31958 battles
  • [GMA]

View PostBobboEvans, on 01 October 2017 - 09:24 PM, said:

Stats after 297 Games:

I feel you OP, I really do. This game can potentially be extremely expensive. At some point, you will need to pay if you want to truly enjoy this game, especially at the higher levels. The thing is, you can't expect to play for years for free. What other game do you play where you don't pay the developers and server admins for their time? It's ridiculous-- people expect something for nothing. The question is, how much do you have to pay? What is a fair rate? I've probably dropped about $300 in 1.5 years on this game, and it's the only videogame I play consistently at this point. I made the decision to drop some cash on premium tanks, premium time, and free experience because I work 50 hours a week and don't have the time to grind for many of the things that the younger players do have time for. To each their own.

Have there been times where I've lost because I didn't spend more money or won because I dropped some coin? Absolutely. But, for comparison:

I recently finished up my grind for the 100% crew mastery on the Type 61. I dropped free experience on the gun and turret, ground out the engine and suspension the old-fashioned way along with the crew exp from 75%. Here are my numbers:

85 Games

62.35% winrate

1860 average damage

You have to be honest about what you can expect from your own performance relative to what the game allows you to bring in with money. I'm a 59% player and this tank is quite good to allow me to achieve the numbers I have so far during the stock grind. Having that 105mm from the start was HUGE, I can tell you that. BUT, it is difficult to account for what would have happened, could have happened, should have happened. I just finished the IS3 grind with an atrocious ~51/52% winrate, but am close to finishing the SU101 at a 60%. How is that possible? When you have a small sample size, like a few hundred games, and you aren't looking at other factors that can affect your performance, you get weird numbers like this (I think it may be due to me taking the SU101 out more during weekeday afternoons for the x2 daily and grinding the IS3 during weekends when the teams are worse, but I can't say for sure). 

Edited by Wombeer, 02 October 2017 - 02:26 PM.

Also tagged with Pay-to-Win

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users